East Coast Arn's First Grow

Happy Easter all! I potted up on Saturday 3 out of 4 plants. I ran out of potting soil for the fourth. I will pot up the 4th ASAP. I'll post a photo after they recover from transplant shock...but they are doing ok. Now that they are in one gallon pots...how much water is normal?

Happy Easter all! I potted up on Saturday 3 out of 4 plants. I ran out of potting soil for the fourth. I will pot up the 4th ASAP. I'll post a photo after they recover from transplant shock...but they are doing ok. Now that they are in one gallon pots...how much water is normal?
Good morning Arn....so there isn't a set water amount, just apply same thing- water til wet with run off and just let dry in-between.... Each could take more or less than the other so just monitor them.

Just water really slowly around the outside edge.
Taking breaks. When you see some come out the bottom stop.
Here is a thread to help.

2 actually

Stay safe
Bill

I agree with Bill & Hazmat above. It really depends on your soil, how much perlite/etc you have. I've never grown in 1gal pots, but my 2gal pots took 3 liters to fully drench and my 5gal pots took 6+ liters. I'm thinking they should take close to 1/2 gallon to go from dry to saturated. Follow Emilya's watering thread and go slowly and they'll tell you how much they need :)

6 weeks in and 2 out of 3 ain't bad
20220504_212100.jpg

6 weeks in and 2 out of 3 ain't bad
20220504_212100.jpg
Hey @EastcoastArn :ciao: hope you are having a great day my friend.
It's hard to tell how the ladies are doing in the blurple light.
Can you turn it off for a second and get a natural light pic?
Tanks.

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill

Bill, top one is the runt of three
Bottom is ok, had to improvise a container or two
Middle is my happiest one.
Arn
Your right, middle one does look happiest.
Could be the container too.
No air in a tall thin plastic jug.
Did you drill lots of holes?
Plus how are you going to get them out of there to uppot?
Be careful of overwatering.
It will take a little longer to dry in the tall ones.
But a great start. :thumb:
Have a good day my friend.

Bill

Your right, middle one does look happiest.
Could be the container too.
No air in a tall thin plastic jug.
Did you drill lots of holes?
Plus how are you going to get them out of there to uppot?
Be careful of overwatering.
It will take a little longer to dry in the tall ones.
But a great start. :thumb:
Have a good day my friend.

Bill
Honestly Bill,
I was so jazzed about the idea of recycling those gallon jugs...i had not thought of getting them out!...but yes there are six holes in the bottom. I may have to slice it open down the sides...or just cut the bottom out...hmmm, won't do that again. Live and learn..I found that big purple pot...have to find another one!(made in Holland...kinda figures it would work perfectly) you are correct, it's taking time for the gallon jugs to dry out! Have not watered in a week! But I check on em daily. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it

Hey Arn good morning...so I started with plastic pots that only had a few holes in the bottom and they wouldn't let the dirt dry out enough.....I remedied the issue by making holes from top of dirt to the bottom along the side to allow air to reach all the soil....kinda like an air pot.....worked well until I had bigger pots to replant them.

Don't have the photo of mine anymore but I made a pic lol. Hope it helps for now.

GUEST_782a91cc-7b63-4579-a04c-b4d4a6b0c973~2.jpeg

Honestly Bill,
I was so jazzed about the idea of recycling those gallon jugs...i had not thought of getting them out!...but yes there are six holes in the bottom. I may have to slice it open down the sides...or just cut the bottom out...hmmm, won't do that again. Live and learn..I found that big purple pot...have to find another one!(made in Holland...kinda figures it would work perfectly) you are correct, it's taking time for the gallon jugs to dry out! Have not watered in a week! But I check on em daily. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it
Take a drywall knife and cut a few slits in the sides to let air in.
When uppotting just slice it off with a drywall knife.
But I forgot it's clear, roots don't like light.
Put tinfoil or something around it to block the light.
Have a great day my friend.

Bill

Hey Arn good morning...so I started with plastic pots that only had a few holes in the bottom and they wouldn't let the dirt dry out enough.....I remedied the issue by making holes from top of dirt to the bottom along the side to allow air to reach all the soil....kinda like an air pot.....worked well until I had bigger pots to replant them.

Don't have the photo of mine anymore but I made a pic lol. Hope it helps for now.

GUEST_782a91cc-7b63-4579-a04c-b4d4a6b0c973~2.jpeg
I poked a few more holes in the side of the two gallon containers...the purple flower pot from Holland is great. Watered them all today...they perked up nicely!

Good afternoon!
My plants are doing great! But I've got a tiny "Nat problem" what are these little buggers and how do I get rid of them?

They are just annoying....a complete infestation of larvae in soil can be an issue but...they really are just annoying lol ....can treat soil with peroxide and water to kill larvae and top spray diluted pesticides and sticky traps for flying ones.

In kitchens we have used traps made from bottles to lure them from food stations....trap and drown.

Back
Top Bottom