Emeraldo's 2020 West-Facing Balcony Grow

I see why you grow outside now ;) You couldn’t fit them in a tent :laugh:
Holy cow they look amazing. I mean, the lineup of stars, soloists and special guests was worth the price of admission alone. Then they started to play!
Bravissimo

Haha, thanks DD! And it is wonderful to have a connaisseur like you in the audience!

Somewhere there's music, how faint the tune
somewhere there's heaven, how high the moon

Looks like a bountiful harvest coming... The Acapulco Gold has gotton huge, pushing her many thick side branches out all around, out over the railing where she gets sun 12 hours a day after about 7:30. I've upped the daily water to keep the soil moist in this hot weather, hitting 36+ C every afternoon.

Yes, DD, you correctly point out that plants grown outside with enough direct sunlight quickly get absolutely huge. The SLH and AG are well over 2 meters tall at this point, though I haven't measured precisely yet. They are in 15 gallon fabric pots, but a true guerilla grow in the open ground would be even bigger, a friggin tree. After April 20 conditions are usually ideal, the big LED in the sky is the only lamp needed. It's not a year-round grow, but it's free!

Am looking forward to seeing pistils in a few weeks now, here a few pix of the preflowering on July 11. The plant on the right is the AG, getting ready to bud.

Here some closer shots of preflowering, calyxes forming...

A month or so ago we had extremely hot weather in the interior Valley, hitting 40 C at times. The geograph of California is such that hot air in the interior pushes up, creating a vacuum that sucks the air off the SF Bay, which is the usual "Delta Breeze", but this time it created high hot wind, whipping my plants around for several hours a day. It caused leaf injuries, ripping the serrated edges and damaging them. I posted a few photos of that. The plants most affected were the tallest Super Lemon Haze and Acapulco Gold, but the Blackberry was injured too.

Now the leaves that were most damaged by the wind are turning yellow and dying. At first I thought is might be just a deficiency of N, and I did a Blood & Bone & Crabshell top dressing, including micronutrients. However, the yellowing continues, and now I see the leaves most affected are lower on the plants and often in the shade. So am wondering if the plant is naturally shutting those leaves down and removing their N for use elsewhere on the plant, and in this process of shutting some leaves down maybe the plants somehow select the leaves that were injured for removal. It is such a coincidence, but you can see the wind damage is consistent with the yellowing in the picture below. Anybody seen this kind of windburn injury?

Here's leaf off Nirvana's Blackberry, for example. The crispy brown edges are from the windburn, which also corresponds to the areas that are yellowing. Other leaves are completely yellow, on still others, just a finger or two are yellow. But always with windburn, or at least some traces of wind damage accompanying the yellowing.

Here's one that got whipped minimally, and the yellowing I thought was just due to the shade she was getting under the canopy, but then I saw the yellow does correspond to some places on the leaf that had some windburn.

Now that July is upon us I will need to keep a lookout for critters eating the plants. Every year I have to deal with the white butterfly laying its eggs and the worms eating the bud. The first year I grew here I didn't have a clue about this. Totally ignorant. I didn't know what to do and that year had to discard some of that bud, usually the bud at the top of the plant, where the white butterfly likes to land and lay eggs. The next year I was ready with neem + surgical soap and really minimized the budworm damage. At this point in the season, when the insects will soon show up, I've usually got a little help too, since the praying mantis seem to be thinking the same thing. So far I've sprayed neem + surgical soap twice this year, just a week ago for the second time. It would be nice to be able to rely on the praying mantis to do the whole job, but alas they can't be everywhere at once. Here's a praying mantis on the Gold Leaf, which incidentally is shooting for the moon, as well... More later!

Thanks for your comments everyone! Stay safe and enjoy your grow! Keeps me sane these days.

With Acapulco Gold in preflower, I guess her coming into maturity triggered the yellowing of leaves that receive less light, all of them located in shade and faded from lack of sun. The windburn also occurred, and where leaves have windburn, they can also have N deficiency from lack of sun, or they can be bright and healthy green with a little edge damage and a sliver of yellow. So, two reasons for the yellowing. I just never really noticed how closely linked in time preflowering was to the discarding of some lower fan leaves and migrating the N in them elsewhere. But come to think of it, the same kind of thing happened last summer with Arjan's Strawberry Haze. This Acapulco Gold is certainly an early flowering plant, earlier than any of the others, but it hasn't reached the pistil stage yet, not for another three weeks or so. So I am watching her with great interest.

Here the view at sunset from G13 x Haze, and, in the second photo below, Gold Leaf, which grows several inches per day now.

With all that lovely sunshine your plants are reaching up in height nicely, they're all looking really good! Exciting to watch them develop and hopefully they'll do so even better with their allocations of space to maximize each plant's sunshine!

With all that lovely sunshine your plants are reaching up in height nicely, they're all looking really good! Exciting to watch them develop and hopefully they'll do so even better with their allocations of space to maximize each plant's sunshine!

Hey Stunger, good to see you. This space/light allocation idea has been developing over the years, but this year I it kind of took off. It's always an adventure, no matter what seed you start with. Most exciting when something new happens, like a comparatively early flowering in the Acapulco. I was reading in wikipedia about the legendary strain Acapulco Gold, where it is said this strain was all the rage back in the 1960s when I was a kid and that song was on the radio. You know what song I mean.

This song was suddenly taken off the air in 1967 when someone realized it was a song about cannabis.

Anyway, the wikipedia author wrote that the THC content even back then was, in Acapulco Gold, like 23% which is just stunning for those days. But the real point was that it was the climate of Acapulco that made the weed so good, and not just the hot weather. Apparently, also the WIND off the Pacific coast had a lot to do with Acapulco Gold being so good. Not sure what that means, maybe the moist sea air is what is meant. If it is wind and hot weather this plant likes, then I guess I picked the right strain for this NoCal grow. She's had a lot of both so far.
:green_heart:

This space/light allocation idea has been developing over the years, but this year I it kind of took off. It's always an adventure, no matter what seed you start with. Most exciting when something new happens, like a comparatively early flowering in the Acapulco.
That's got to be a good benefit of refining your growing at the same location, putting the results back in the feedback loop and grow by grow gaining improvements. Your pest strategy is now pretty comprehensive and effective from taking note of those past grows.

I was reading in wikipedia about the legendary strain Acapulco Gold, where it is said this strain was all the rage back in the 1960s when I was a kid and that song was on the radio. You know what song I mean. This song was suddenly taken off the air in 1967 when someone realized it was a song about cannabis.
That is a great song and brilliant graphics to go with it, wow, that put a smile on my face.:ganjamon: What an amazing option that would be back then, to chuck some stuff in your car and drive down the coast to Mexico for some cheap living and some Acapulco Gold.

Anyway, the wikipedia author wrote that the THC content even back then was, in Acapulco Gold, like 23% which is just stunning for those days. But the real point was that it was the climate of Acapulco that made the weed so good, and not just the hot weather. Apparently, also the WIND off the Pacific coast had a lot to do with Acapulco Gold being so good. Not sure what that means, maybe the moist sea air is what is meant. If it is wind and hot weather this plant likes, then I guess I picked the right strain for this NoCal grow. She's had a lot of both so far.
Some of the experiences of weed that I have had over the decades makes me feel there is definitely something to the effects of stress/drought stress of wind and minimal rain, to how resinous the plants become. I've had wild Nepalese weed in the 80's where this one plant was growing sitting in a small field at a village called Phakding which sits at about 2600m or 8500ft, a Nepalese lady then sold us a couple of big monkey arm 2 foot long colas which absolutely blew us away every time we stopped to smoke it, and as a consequence we had an amazing time trekking for the remaining days to get back to Kathmandu. My memory of it would put it at no less than many of today's esteemed strains.
Personally, I think the view that bud was weaker back then is wrong, and it all stems from the quality of testing that was performed in those days, that much weed tested was grown by people who were still figuring out how to grow the stuff and when to harvest it. I remember, probably about 1980, someone I worked with had grown a big plant and harvested bucketfuls of weed, but he hadn't realized he needed to let the buds form first, no one knew, we just thought it was a rubbish strain. I imagine a lot of the tests were done by people who knew no better in testing weed that was poorly grown and poorly timed in harvesting, and all those tests then averaged out to ridiculously low percentages. To me any THC figures for plants are only really valid if the plants being tested has been grown and harvested to it's potential.

That's got to be a good benefit of refining your growing at the same location, putting the results back in the feedback loop and grow by grow gaining improvements. Your pest strategy is now pretty comprehensive and effective from taking note of those past grows.

Exactly, growing on the same balcony each summer, you use the tricks available to you on that balcony. This is my 3d year on that balcony. I think the key moment was last year when I realized my White Widow in the back row wasn't getting the light it needed. After that, I started looking at each plant's position in relation to the whole grow.

That is a great song and brilliant graphics to go with it, wow, that put a smile on my face.:ganjamon: What an amazing option that would be back then, to chuck some stuff in your car and drive down the coast to Mexico for some cheap living and some Acapulco Gold.

The song was on the radio for a short time, but it made it to #70 on the billboard list in 1967 before some censor discovered it was actually about marijuana and then of course it was yanked off the air. The cartoon on youtube is from a 1973 film. Things were already looser. I find myself humming the tune as I go about tending my "Acapulco Gold for everyone!" I still have 4 seeds, hmm am very pleased with this plant so far. Will post a smoke report.

Some of the experiences of weed that I have had over the decades makes me feel there is definitely something to the effects of stress/drought stress of wind and minimal rain, to how resinous the plants become. I've had wild Nepalese weed in the 80's where this one plant was growing sitting in a small field at a village called Phakding which sits at about 2600m or 8500ft, a Nepalese lady then sold us a couple of big monkey arm 2 foot long colas which absolutely blew us away every time we stopped to smoke it, and as a consequence we had an amazing time trekking for the remaining days to get back to Kathmandu. My memory of it would put it at no less than many of today's esteemed strains.
Personally, I think the view that bud was weaker back then is wrong, and it all stems from the quality of testing that was performed in those days, that much weed tested was grown by people who were still figuring out how to grow the stuff and when to harvest it. I remember, probably about 1980, someone I worked with had grown a big plant and harvested bucketfuls of weed, but he hadn't realized he needed to let the buds form first, no one knew, we just thought it was a rubbish strain. I imagine a lot of the tests were done by people who knew no better in testing weed that was poorly grown and poorly timed in harvesting, and all those tests then averaged out to ridiculously low percentages. To me any THC figures for plants are only really valid if the plants being tested has been grown and harvested to it's potential.

Yes you have been working on that drought technique for some time now. Stress, drought, wind, I was interested to read that AG was said to be so strong because of the heat and wind off the Pacific. I don't know if stress improves the effect or the high. How can you test this hypothesis? Grow two plants and stress the heck out of one? The plant still has to live long enough to get ripe. I just can't bring myself to stress the plants intentionally. Risk of hermies is what I am concerned about. But I do let the plants dry out in late flowering, the last week or so with no more water. Shortens the drying time, definitely. Maybe if you are right it improves the effect as well. I had to get over my desire to have a healthy, green looking plant at harvest.

Wild nepalese, that would be an indica I guess. Of course that one would be strong stuff, that 2-foot long monkey arm of bud fresh from the grower. Those are some nice memories you have there. My recollection of weed I had in the late 1960s is varied, some was quite strong, others not. There was no quality control, you didn't really know what it was and you didn't even know who grew it, just pay your $10 an ounce. Weed was from Mexico, and was harvested with a machete and crammed into a wooden box-press that formed it into one of those bricks... "...of Acapulco Gold!" My brother and I once grew a huge plant from seed and harvested way before it was ready. We didn't know what ready was. We didn't know if it was female. We didn't even know that we needed a female. We didn't know what buds, pistils, and trichomes were. We took down the whole plant, dried all of it, all leaves, and crumbled it onto two large containers. It didn't get me high, no surprize. We were ignorant and naiive, but there really wasn't any easily accessible info on Mary Jane. She was a mystery wrapped in a riddle and kept in the dark and prohibited by law.

I looked into the yellowing leaves, and thought they might be from a magnesium deficiency. But the conclusion I reached is it's not that.

I also saw something about wind burn, mainly from indoor grows where the fan is set running too high. The photos of damaged leaves look a lot like the wind damage to my plants.

As my photos show, the serrations on the leaves are curling up a bit, the edge turned brown and crispy, and a yellowing area is caused by that injury and stays near the damage, it doesn't necessary spread to the whole leaf. Whole leaves turning yellow are not wind burn but N deficiency in those leaves that were in the shade and the plant moves the N to a more useful place, leaving a faded leaf behind.

I guess it is fairly rare to have this kind of wind burn in an outdoor grow. C'est la vie say the old folks, goes to show you never can tell.

Stress, drought, wind, I was interested to read that AG was said to be so strong because of the heat and wind off the Pacific. I don't know if stress improves the effect or the high. How can you test this hypothesis? Grow two plants and stress the heck out of one? The plant still has to live long enough to get ripe. I just can't bring myself to stress the plants intentionally. Risk of hermies is what I am concerned about. But I do let the plants dry out in late flowering, the last week or so with no more water. Shortens the drying time, definitely. Maybe if you are right it improves the effect as well. I had to get over my desire to have a healthy, green looking plant at harvest.
I believe that the early grow I did some years ago where the plant was baked on the balcony in temperatures in the mid 30'sC, and always noticeably wilted at the end of the day because of the smaller pot used than my recent grows (plus it was a heavy ceramic one that would be very hot to touch in the heat of the sun. The plant's sugar leaves were really stiff like they'd had a few layers of varnish painted on them, and the bud was incredibly sticky but not showing the thick layers of trichomes that appear like the heavy frosting that you see in some strain adverts, it was more like the balls of trichome resin were melting and coating the leaf surface and then growing new balls of resin?!?! Even the White Widow I grew last season didn't have the trichomes that the Gorilla Glue auto displayed and the trichomes it did have seemed very short but nonetheless it was the strongest of the 3 strains I grew, it also seemed that some of the trichome resin balls were melting onto the buds/sugar leaves (they probably weren't, as I haven't heard of that happening, it just seemed that way).:hmmmm:

There is also a page about wind burn, mainly from indoor grows where the fan is set running too high. And the photos of that look a lot like the wind damage to my plants. The serrations on the leaves are curling up a bit, the edge turned brown and crispy, and a yellowing is caused by that injury and stays near the damage. (Whole leaves turning yellow are N deficiency in those leaves in the shade as the plant moves the N to a more useful place). I guess it is fairly rare to have this kind of wind burn in an outdoor grow. C'est la vie say the old folks, goes to show you never can tell.
Wind burn damage sounds quite feasible, some places are always windy and the plants adjust to deal with it, and if so, it is probably also feasible that most of the time the plant can cope fine with a bit of collateral damage from the wind. They're mostly pretty tough plants. You could try a diluted kelp foliar spray 2 or 3 times a week if you felt you had to do something but were at a loss of what to do. Last season I felt my plants looked especially perky and happy from being foliar sprayed a couple of times a week, but purely subjective opinion there.

I believe that the early grow I did some years ago where the plant was baked on the balcony in temperatures in the mid 30'sC, and always noticeably wilted at the end of the day because of the smaller pot used than my recent grows (plus it was a heavy ceramic one that would be very hot to touch in the heat of the sun. The plant's sugar leaves were really stiff like they'd had a few layers of varnish painted on them, and the bud was incredibly sticky but not showing the thick layers of trichomes that appear like the heavy frosting that you see in some strain adverts, it was more like the balls of trichome resin were melting and coating the leaf surface and then growing new balls of resin?!?! Even the White Widow I grew last season didn't have the trichomes that the Gorilla Glue auto displayed and the trichomes it did have seemed very short but nonetheless it was the strongest of the 3 strains I grew, it also seemed that some of the trichome resin balls were melting onto the buds/sugar leaves (they probably weren't, as I haven't heard of that happening, it just seemed that way).:hmmmm:

Yes I remember you telling this story at some point. Fascinating, how a plant responds under those conditions. Trichomes just melted into a thick varnish.

Did your White Widow in your recent harvest also have the thick resin melting onto the buds/sugar leaves? I know you had some hot wilty weather there. Did the melting resin thing repeat itself, or were you referring back to the grow from years ago?

Wind burn damage sounds quite feasible, some places are always windy and the plants adjust to deal with it, and if so, it is probably also feasible that most of the time the plant can cope fine with a bit of collateral damage from the wind. They're mostly pretty tough plants. You could try a diluted kelp foliar spray 2 or 3 times a week if you felt you had to do something but were at a loss of what to do. Last season I felt my plants looked especially perky and happy from being foliar sprayed a couple of times a week, but purely subjective opinion there.

Right, leaves fade, leaves get damaged. I never had such a wind burn before, though there may have been some I didn't recognize as such. The plants look otherwise healthy and happy, no need right now to look for a deficiency. Maybe the stress of the heat and wind will have a good outcome!
:hookah:

Yes I remember you telling this story at some point. Fascinating, how a plant responds under those conditions. Trichomes just melted into a thick varnish.

Did your White Widow in your recent harvest also have the thick resin melting onto the buds/sugar leaves? I know you had some hot wilty weather there. Did the melting resin thing repeat itself, or were you referring back to the grow from years ago?
The grow from years ago was the perfect storm for that. It was grown on the same balcony where the heat reaches mid 30'sC in Summer. It's pot was a dark blue ceramic and would get very hot from the sun which must have caused stress on the plant's roots, and that pot was only about 18L which I regard as undersized, and which meant it could not hold enough moisture to last each day without wilting. It would be fair to say there was a certain amount of stress on that plant.

But it was on the last grow with the WW when I had the thought, wondering if resin was melting from the trichomes, as some trichomes would be just be stalks with no resin bulbs on top while below them it was like a varnish layer (unlike some of the beautiful perfect forest of trichomes seen on bud pics grown in more moderate environments). I don't imagine this is the case simply because I am not aware of any such 'melting' mentioned by others, but looking closely at the trichomes/buds/sugarleaves and feeling the sun and the strong heat radiating off the balcony stone tiles it seemed to naturally beg the question to then wonder if there was melting happening, like in fairly extreme heat/wind and stress from lack of water does the plant respond to protect it's buds from drying out by producing more resin, or with what I wondered, does it/can it secrete resin or can it's trichome resin bulbs melt to cover surfaces that would lose critical moisture. Something along those lines makes sense to me, living things can live within a range of conditions and can adjust to some degree to the extremes within that range. I would say my hands have pretty soft skin compared to a farm worker, but years ago myself and a mate sailed a boat from USA to the UK, within a short time my hands were like leather from the winches, ropes and salt water, so it makes sense that cannabis plant could use it's resin to do similar to combat sun and wind dehydration stress.

I can tell that each of the first 4 plants is shifting into flowering mode, AG has pistils already and the others are stretching and forming bud sites. The "back row" plants have nearly doubled in size since July 1. Two of them -- WW and G13 x Haze -- will be LST'd and/or topped for the last time on July 24. Gold Leaf is well on her way to join Super Lemon Haze and Acapulco Gold at the raingutter.

Did you ever get a photo of this melted mass on the sugar leaves? I'd like to see it if you can post one.
The plant grown several years ago was the one that was exposed to a lot of 'drought/heat stress' throughout it's flowering life and that most resembled the idea of the plant coating it's buds in resin, it's buds and sugar leaves appeared varnished not dull or papery, if you were asked to view and compare it to other plants and then pick which one looked like it could cope in a drought you would probably pick that one, during flowering it's fan leaves were as expected weren't flash, but it's buds and sugarleaves looked tough and varnished to cope with harsh conditions. It was very potent.

On my last grow I thought there were some trichome areas that were missing a lot of the trichomes bulbs but they appeared in a way where I wondered if resin was being exuded or melted in the heat as the surface looked more glossy that normal, like a little bit varnished. When I was taking pics I thought those weren't as pretty viewing as others so didn't focus on taking pic of that, but now it's mentioned I'll look out for it next time. Similarly, I saw a post a while back where someone had shown a pic of what he said was a exuded drop of red resin that was coming from one of his buds. I remember seeing just a few of those very similar to his, on one of my plants but at the time I assumed it was something an insect had done and didn't directly focus on it, I still think it was something an insect did but it would be cool if indeed it was resin drop being exuded. :hookah:

So in your experience was the plant exposed to extreme heat and dryness during the actual flowering? Here the start of flowering coincides with the peak of hot weather, say in early August. But by September the heat has the edge off, and by harvest time in October the temps have cooled considerably. So this phenomenon, if it is caused by heat, would be a later reaction in flowering to heat it had been exposed to in say, July and early August? I'm trying to imagine how it happened.

So in your experience was the plant exposed to extreme heat and dryness during the actual flowering? Here the start of flowering coincides with the peak of hot weather, say in early August. But by September the heat has the edge off, and by harvest time in October the temps have cooled considerably. So this phenomenon, if it is caused by heat, would be a later reaction in flowering to heat it had been exposed to in say, July and early August? I'm trying to imagine how it happened.
I think it is relatively the same here, the peak of the Summer heat is probably early to mid flowering, but then there are changing demands for water by the plant as it's flowering develops. I wonder if perhaps it is like getting old, that even though in late flowering the heat has reduced but by then the plant is aged and doesn't have it's previous youthful vigor to cope but instead makes more resin to protect it, or maybe it's just the delayed effect of the environmental stresses on the plant that eventually shows up more at the end of flowering.

I think it is relatively the same here, the peak of the Summer heat is probably early to mid flowering, but then there are changing demands for water by the plant as it's flowering develops. I wonder if perhaps it is like getting old, that even though in late flowering the heat has reduced but by then the plant is aged and doesn't have it's previous youthful vigor to cope but instead makes more resin to protect it, or maybe it's just the delayed effect of the environmental stresses on the plant that eventually shows up more at the end of flowering.

Maybe it can also be that an older female plant that has been waiting for pollen can double down towards the end of its life and just go all out in putting out trichomes and resin?

Am reposting three photos here. Just taken the other day, but I looked into possible potassium deficiency.

These photos match up well with an online description and photos of a potassium deficiency. Potassium deficiency apparently can be triggered by extreme heat, which is what my plants have been through this last few weeks, even when there is sufficient K in the medium.

Will be giving more K now, needed or not. They say the K deficiency symptoms (browning, curling, and yellowing) can clear up by themselves in new growth after the stress is gone, but I see more damage occurring, namely new smaller leaves, even tiny "popcorn" leaves that are in the shade and not getting excessive sun are also curling up brown at the tip and crumbling off. I usually give Dr. Earth Flower Girl 3-9-4 in flowering, and also have a new (for me) product, Jack's Blossom Booster, which I've not used before. Started a thread on that to see what growers say.

More later.

Maybe it can also be that an older female plant that has been waiting for pollen can double down towards the end of its life and just go all out in putting out trichomes and resin?
Yes there is that too.

Will be giving more K now. They say it can clear up by itself after the stress is gone, but I see more damage occurring, namely smaller leaves, tiny leaves, that are in the shade and not getting excessive sun are also curling up brown at the tip and crumbling. More later.
Hopefully that clears it up, I am not well versed in recognizing and dealing with deficiencies. I am hoping that my soil contains everything but using containers does mean that plants can't grow their roots out endlessly to find whatever they need when they're short of something.

... I am not well versed in recognizing and dealing with deficiencies.

It's easy to get the symptoms mixed up if you don't look carefully and compare one step at a time. Process of elimination.

Back
Top Bottom