First Ever Attempt - Indoor Closet - Done A Lot Of Reading & Welcome Advice!

Re: First ever attempt, done a lot of reading and welcome help! Indoor closet!

thanks for putting the link up, should be a good help to blueskybsn, gives him plenty ideas and also gives me some ideas, do you think the auction site would be the cheapest place, is that the stuff that comes in crystal form.

now you see the way that ona filter is made, well imagine the fan blowing the other way as if it was sucking the air out the bucket and sucking the air in the drilled holes, well thats how mine works, but inside my tub i have got an inner ring, and between this and the plastic tub i have packed in activated carbon, in the middle is an empty space, but my fan sucks are in through the holes and through the activated carbon the blows the air out, the fan is working hard though as it sounds different to how it used to and its sounds different to the same fan im using on its own to move air, so i know its struggling to suck the air through the carbon as its small pellets and they packed in pretty well, i possibly made the gap between the mesh and the top to big and their is to much carbon in their, but it sucks air in the holes i drilled and blows it out where the fan is, so it is sucking and blowing the air out, and the air has to travel through the carbon first before reaching the fan and been blown out so this has to be reducing the odour to some extent, ive only built it and tested it, i need to drill holes in the top of my grow room, theirs a wooden panel at the very top above the door so im going to drill a load of small holes and mount the fan at the back of the holes so its blowing the air back into my flat, but i think the ONA filter in that link would be easier to make and would move and clean more air than the one im using, im not sure how much ona to use or buy, but ill look on the auction site and see how much it is, i have got 2 big table fans i could use, so its something im going to look into

DIY High Flow Carbon Filter

You can find these at homedepot for 8-10$ each
manrack02a.jpg

The ona gel that I use comes in gelatin form. It is in chunky little cubes, kind of the size of a piece of hydroton, they are real slimy and wet. I buy the bigger size which is still pretty small, probably around 25-30 oz. and it costs around $20. To use it I just mix in about a cup of the ona into 6 or so cups of water, really just enough that it won't evaporate with the fan blowing on it all day or just like 4 inches below your holes on the sides of your bucket. It will last at least a week and if the ona smell starts fading you can just add 2-3 tbsp to get you through til you change it out. You can also follow a recipe I read someone used, I just don't have that moisture saving crystals but you mix 1 cup of Ona, 1 cup of the moisture saving stuff, and 8 cups of water, than just stir up the mixture once or twice a day to keep it fresh. I thought that the holes being on the side would be a problem, having all or most of the air just blowing out of the before reaching the ONA but I guess it's not really an issue because I have yet to have a smell problem on two separate runs now.

Another benefit of this is it is really simple and cheap to make and can be made without powertools if need be, just cut holes out with scissors or something else and all the materials minus the ona can be bought and wal mart or hardware store for close to $20.

Hi All

Heres an update. I decided to move my closet into the closet, so its a closet closet grow now :bravo:

I bought a temperature/humidity gauge on-line so thanks for all your suggestions much appreciated.

The girls are growing well and look healthy I think. I'm considering going to coco when its time to transplant.

Number 1

IMG_23804.JPG

Number 2

IMG_23814.JPG

Both!

IMG_23826.JPG

That is really cool, I haven't seen that thread before I might have to look into one of those if I get a bigger room growing thanks for that link.

Just a thought, you could also scale the idea back and make it the size that you need for your grow space.

Quick Update

Number 1

IMG_23837.jpg

Number 2

IMG_23844.jpg

The mystery seed hasn't popped its head out yet.

Another update, the mystery seed woke up today! :green_heart:

IMG_23874.jpg

Number 1

IMG_23856.jpg

Number 2

IMG_23864.jpg

it looks to me like you have got some very healthy plants, looks like the strain you have got is stable as well as the leaves look ok, sometimes the seeds my be from an unstable strain and the leaves may grow all weird to start off with, most growers will pull these plants as their will be problems through out the grow, others keep them and do very well, my g13poisen dwarf auto was very unstable it had no stem for at least 5 weeks, the leaves where growing at ground level, and it was 4 nodes high and the sets of leaves where growing on top of each other, then after 7 or more weeks it went into flower and was only 2 inches high, i decide to do the opposite of what i was told and had read, everyone said dont do anything to it, no pruning and no lst as it will give reduced yield, anyway i used lst method and pulled the top of the plant lower than the nodes, and withing 24 hours the branches at the nodes grew bigger than the whole stem of the plant, i un did the lst after 48 hours and now its turned into a monster and needs a bigger pot, clearly not a stable strain, i was at one point going to kill it and bin it, as it was so small and looked really weird, now it looks really nice and glad i never killed the ugly duckling cuz she is now a very sexy mature lady,

it looks to me like you have got some very healthy plants, looks like the strain you have got is stable as well as the leaves look ok, sometimes the seeds my be from an unstable strain and the leaves may grow all weird to start off with, most growers will pull these plants as their will be problems through out the grow, others keep them and do very well, my g13poisen dwarf auto was very unstable it had no stem for at least 5 weeks, the leaves where growing at ground level, and it was 4 nodes high and the sets of leaves where growing on top of each other, then after 7 or more weeks it went into flower and was only 2 inches high, i decide to do the opposite of what i was told and had read, everyone said dont do anything to it, no pruning and no lst as it will give reduced yield, anyway i used lst method and pulled the top of the plant lower than the nodes, and withing 24 hours the branches at the nodes grew bigger than the whole stem of the plant, i un did the lst after 48 hours and now its turned into a monster and needs a bigger pot, clearly not a stable strain, i was at one point going to kill it and bin it, as it was so small and looked really weird, now it looks really nice and glad i never killed the ugly duckling cuz she is now a very sexy mature lady,

LOL nice work

Started work on my air filtering system today. Given upon the box even after building it because it’s too cumbersome.

What I have done is drill holes in this pipe and taped up one end of it. On the other end I have taped on an adaptor to fit the foil ducting.

IMG_24097.jpg
IMG_24067.jpg

I moved the fan to the top of the closet. This will also help with removal of the heat from the HPS, straight out the top!

IMG_24129.jpg
IMG_24136.jpg

Next step will be to wrap the pipe with carbon air filtering material like you would find in a ducted air conditioning setup, or I might line the inside of the pipe with it. Stay posted for pics of that.

i made a carbon filter using a 12v computer fan and a tub, so mine looks like a K&N filter, i used a big fish food tub, i cut the bottom off and fitted the 12v fan and sealed it all the way round, then i but mesh over the fan inside the bottle then i drilled holes all around the tub, i made a tube to fit inside the tub so i had an empty space in the middle and then their was a gap between the tub and the mesh tube i made on the inside, it had about half an inch gap all the way around, i covered the mesh in tights to stop the activated carbon falling through it, anyway i filled the gap with activated carbon granules, so thats what im using now, but its not enough for all my plants so i need to make something bigger, but i noticed your using the material type of filter, do these work better than the actual activated carbon granules, i think i need a bigger fan and a bigger tub

i made a carbon filter using a 12v computer fan and a tub, so mine looks like a K&N filter, i used a big fish food tub, i cut the bottom off and fitted the 12v fan and sealed it all the way round, then i but mesh over the fan inside the bottle then i drilled holes all around the tub, i made a tube to fit inside the tub so i had an empty space in the middle and then their was a gap between the tub and the mesh tube i made on the inside, it had about half an inch gap all the way around, i covered the mesh in tights to stop the activated carbon falling through it, anyway i filled the gap with activated carbon granules, so thats what im using now, but its not enough for all my plants so i need to make something bigger, but i noticed your using the material type of filter, do these work better than the actual activated carbon granules, i think i need a bigger fan and a bigger tub

I'm not sure how the material is going to go. I have seen it used in a few "how to" posts around here but as to its effectiveness time will tell! I have activated carbon granules as well as a backup.

i just found that my 12v fan struggle to suck the air through about less than half an inch of activated carbon, it packs in well and compared to the same 12v fan its not blowing out as much air, which does show its working as its clearly blowing out less air so it is sucking it through the carbon as their is no where else it can get the air from, but it does put out less air than the other 12v fan, so i think i need a bigger tub and a bigger fan, i would use a thinner spread of carbon minerals but it would not work to well with less it would not stop the smell, i think i need a bigger fan,

the other option i have seen done is to get a big bucket and have a big fan in the top blowing the air into the bottom of the bucket then cut holes in the bucket so its sucking the air in where the lid should be then blowing it into the bucket then out the holes, now in the bottom of the bucket is ona gel, you add water to it then the fan sucks the air from the room and blows it into the gel in the bottom of the bucket and then it comes out the holes cut around the bucket, this ONA stuff dont mask the smell it removes it and its suppose to work, so i may try that,

i just found that my 12v fan struggle to suck the air through about less than half an inch of activated carbon, it packs in well and compared to the same 12v fan its not blowing out as much air, which does show its working as its clearly blowing out less air so it is sucking it through the carbon as their is no where else it can get the air from, but it does put out less air than the other 12v fan, so i think i need a bigger tub and a bigger fan, i would use a thinner spread of carbon minerals but it would not work to well with less it would not stop the smell, i think i need a bigger fan,

Yeah thats what I found.

the other option i have seen done is to get a big bucket and have a big fan in the top blowing the air into the bottom of the bucket then cut holes in the bucket so its sucking the air in where the lid should be then blowing it into the bucket then out the holes, now in the bottom of the bucket is ona gel, you add water to it then the fan sucks the air from the room and blows it into the gel in the bottom of the bucket and then it comes out the holes cut around the bucket, this ONA stuff dont mask the smell it removes it and its suppose to work, so i may try that,

I saw a post on that ONA Gel. I might consider that if the filter doesn't work.

The seedlings are 12 days old, and the oldest one, by 1 day, is drooping a bit and turning yellowish in color.

I have looked around on the forum, and searched for this kind of issue and found the common trends:

1 Too close to light
2 Nitrogen deficiency
3 Tap water contaminants
4 Dry

1 Too close to light
I dont think its too close to the light, its only a 11W fluorescent. Could it be insufficient light?

2 Nitrogen deficiency
Given its potting mix and they are so young could it really be nitrogen deficiency?

3 Tap water contaminants
I have thrown out my water, and boiled a new batch in case its contaminants in the tap water.

4 Dry
I have given them a good watering in case the drooping is because they are too dry.

I would appreciate any help. :scratchinghead: You can see the center of the plant is greener, and the outside used to be that color too.

IMG_24144.jpg
IMG_24156.jpg
IMG_24168.jpg

it does look like nutrient def to me, if it was lack of water the leaves would of wilted, was their any nutrient added into the soil or is it just standard mix, bpn nutrients are given to the plant as soon as the first set of leaves after the seed leaf have started growing, but the feeding schedule for bpn is designed for the plants so you mix up less of each nute early on then build it up as the schedule says, if your going to add nutes then id be careful how string it is, id start with 1/4 strength unless you got bpn then you ca use full strength at the dose on the feeding schedule

it does look like nutrient def to me, if it was lack of water the leaves would of wilted, was their any nutrient added into the soil or is it just standard mix, bpn nutrients are given to the plant as soon as the first set of leaves after the seed leaf have started growing, but the feeding schedule for bpn is designed for the plants so you mix up less of each nute early on then build it up as the schedule says, if your going to add nutes then id be careful how string it is, id start with 1/4 strength unless you got bpn then you ca use full strength at the dose on the feeding schedule

Thanks man, for some reason I thought based on what Id read around here that there was enough nutrients in the soil for 3 weeks, and I've added nothing. Ah well I got some NPK 10,4,6 and gave them an initial 1/3 strength dose. I hope that shows some results.

Heres a pic of the filter in place, still dont have the carbon inside yet tho.

IMG_241710.jpg

If your using a floro light source, the bulb should be about 2 inches from the plant. You lose hella lumens any further than that. You cannot burn a plant with a floro. Since your in potting soil, and it's only 12 days old, I would have to also rule out a deficiency, UNLESS it is being caused by lockout due to overwatering. That's why I don't fuck with soil. Coco for the win.

Back
Top Bottom