First Ever Attempt - Indoor Closet - Done A Lot Of Reading & Welcome Advice!

Re: First ever attempt, done a lot of reading and welcome help! Indoor closet!

If your using a floro light source, the bulb should be about 2 inches from the plant. You lose hella lumens any further than that. You cannot burn a plant with a floro. Since your in potting soil, and it's only 12 days old, I would have to also rule out a deficiency, UNLESS it is being caused by lockout due to overwatering. That's why I don't fuck with soil. Coco for the win.

Im thinking of transplanting into coco. I haven't over-watered I'm pretty sure. Its never flushed out the bottom and Ive mostly just being spraying them.

Thanks man, for some reason I thought based on what Id read around here that there was enough nutrients in the soil for 3 weeks, and I've added nothing. Ah well I got some NPK 10,4,6 and gave them an initial 1/3 strength dose. I hope that shows some results.

what your referring to is what everyone uses "Fox Farm" which is a type of soil. In this soil, no nutes are need for three weeks.

what your referring to is what everyone uses "Fox Farm" which is a type of soil. In this soil, no nutes are need for three weeks.

Awesome man I will definitely need your advice and appreciate it. Nice to have someone else on board with expertise!

what kind of soil are you growing in?

Its a cutting and seeding mix from local plant store.

Quick photo update, poor hideous yellow things aren't they?

Number 1

IMG_24187.jpg
IMG_24198.jpg

Number 2

IMG_24207.jpg
IMG_24216.jpg

Mystery Seed

IMG_24227.jpg

Great set up, I'm working on trying to macguyver and air filter like you, so I'm really interested how the finished product will work.

They do look slightly yellow, but could it just be genetic? The leaf tips look alright, not wilted, but I'm a newbie to this like you, so take my advice with a grain of salt :p. I'd try some nutes to see if they perk up a bit.

Subbed!

Great set up, I'm working on trying to macguyver and air filter like you, so I'm really interested how the finished product will work.

They do look slightly yellow, but could it just be genetic? The leaf tips look alright, not wilted, but I'm a newbie to this like you, so take my advice with a grain of salt :p. I'd try some nutes to see if they perk up a bit.

Subbed!

Thanks man, just gonna up some more pics to will be able to compare!

Quick update with some photos. I "think" the girls are looking a little better. I have also germinated a 3rd Caramelicious. That brings the total to four, so I will actually not have room if they are all girls I don't think. Where I bought the seeds from I pointed out a grammatical error on their growing instructions and they were kind enough to throw in $100 worth of seeds as a thankyou so theres no shortage. Ideally though I would want to clone so as not to draw on the reserves!

Number 1 Car

IMG_24235.jpg

Number 2 Car

IMG_24244.jpg

Number 3 Mystery

IMG_24267.jpg

Filter material

IMG_24285.jpg

Filter material installed

IMG_24296.jpg

IMG_24306.jpg

I have tested it and I think there is airflow, but I might need to add another fan or upgrade fan if it proves not to be enough, the plants have a faint odor but nothing much to notice at present.

Cheers all!

Ooh ok, I thought you were going to put carbon into the filter...

Random thought, could you put baking soda inside to help with smell? Or I saw on someone else's journal, they used..."onagel" or something for the smell... Just a thought.

hows it mate, i think that carbon filter material will work a lot better than the activated carbon granules, they really clog air flow with smaller fans so i will try the material myself next time, good karma with the seeds, nice they sorted you out, it shows its worth spotting the mistakes and letting them know, i wonder how many people actually do that,

are the plants looking any better yet,

i wonder if the material lasts as long as the granules do, i also thought you was filling the tube with granules, you need to make sure its sealed all the way around the material so it sucks no air around the filter, id also wrap something around the outside to prevent dust clogging it up, should keep the activated carbon at its best and not clogging any of it up, so id try and throw some of that round it as well, you need to make sure your drawing enough air into the filter so it actually gets the air moving around, if its not pulling much through then it wont be very effective, but if you can get the air flowing then i think ill try that setup myself next time, i could do a tube like yours along the top of my room and i even have a vent i can vent out of that i have not used in case any smell gets out, but i could fit one of them in and blow it out the vent so im going to give your idea a try with my next go at growing. either that or the ona gel in a bucket with a fan blowing on the bucket,

Ooh ok, I thought you were going to put carbon into the filter...

Random thought, could you put baking soda inside to help with smell? Or I saw on someone else's journal, they used..."onagel" or something for the smell... Just a thought.

Hey, its an activated carbon filter material :)

hows it mate, i think that carbon filter material will work a lot better than the activated carbon granules, they really clog air flow with smaller fans so i will try the material myself next time, good karma with the seeds, nice they sorted you out, it shows its worth spotting the mistakes and letting them know, i wonder how many people actually do that,

are the plants looking any better yet,

Yeah it was great karma for sure. The plants are greening up nicely :)

i wonder if the material lasts as long as the granules do, i also thought you was filling the tube with granules, you need to make sure its sealed all the way around the material so it sucks no air around the filter, id also wrap something around the outside to prevent dust clogging it up, should keep the activated carbon at its best and not clogging any of it up, so id try and throw some of that round it as well, you need to make sure your drawing enough air into the filter so it actually gets the air moving around, if its not pulling much through then it wont be very effective, but if you can get the air flowing then i think ill try that setup myself next time, i could do a tube like yours along the top of my room and i even have a vent i can vent out of that i have not used in case any smell gets out, but i could fit one of them in and blow it out the vent so im going to give your idea a try with my next go at growing. either that or the ona gel in a bucket with a fan blowing on the bucket,

Some good points there. I will have to ensure it sits nicely inside, I could actually just wrap it around the outside, I may do that. Im going to put some more holes in it, and I will probably run a fan from the other end as well. Im finding temps are at the top end at present even with only fluorescents.

Heres some pics, and some questions!

I have updated my lighting to a 400W MH since CanuckGal put me to shame, I have also put in a dimpled reflector. The issue I am having is....... HEAT. Its 90 degrees at plant level, with the doors open. Ive drilled two big holes in the bottom sides of the cabinet to make extraction easier, but I think Im going to have to beef up the fan something chronic. If you look at the numbers in the pics the top one is the measurement from the probe (88.7 OUT)which is sitting under the thermometer itself, in the shade, the bottom one is the measurement of the device, which is warm to the touch (97.7 IN). Given I should be aiming for 60-80(?) I'm obviously going to have to do something about it. Im afraid to lower the light in case I fry the plants. When I closed the door it hit 100.

IMG_24349.jpg
IMG_24386.jpg

I have purchased my nutrients.

IMG_24327.jpg

And some premium coco.

IMG_24398.jpg

So as to the next step, based on what I have read I think the following should be done but confirmation would be great:

Do I need to rinse the coco then let it dry before use?
Do I simply transplant the seedling and all the soil in the pot and nest it into coco?
Should the coco be maintained so it is damp to the touch?
Should I mix it with Perlite 25%? (I bought vermiculite by accident).:bravo:

Appreciate any advice.

Looking good so far! You absolutely need to take care of the heat issue.. My advice would be to get an enclosed light fixture, and run a cooling system through that. OR you can put a fan low to the ground blowing up at the light to push the heat away.

I have never used coco so i cant be of help there!

Good luck and happy growing!

Congrats on the light. Just switched myself and had to open more venting on the bottom. If possible add more exhaust up top(second fan or larger CFM one) and it will create an air flow in the lower and out the upper taking the heat with it. That has got my temp down from 94 deg F to 81 F all day yesterday. I was thinking wrapping the carbon filter around to outer side of the PVC. I think you can get a better seal to the pipe and down the seam where ends meet. If there is any passage for the air to bypass the filter it will take the path of least resistance and blow out there more than thru the material. :peace:

Oh yeah, are you running the Coco in a hempy? I used mine straight out of the bag with out any issues, No rinsing or perlite added. It drains perfect all by itself.

If you've got your hands on some quality coco, using it straight outta the bag is cool just make sure to keep your pH between 5.5 and 6.2 I like to keep mine at about 5.9

Transplanting from soil to coco should be okay but never tried myself...

Water your plants when the coco is 50% dry, I'd also try to shade your thermometer properly to get a more accurate reading.

Also i don't see a fan for air movement within your room, do u have one?

If you've got your hands on some quality coco, using it straight outta the bag is cool just make sure to keep your pH between 5.5 and 6.2 I like to keep mine at about 5.9

Transplanting from soil to coco should be okay but never tried myself...

Water your plants when the coco is 50% dry, I'd also try to shade your thermometer properly to get a more accurate reading.

Also i don't see a fan for air movement within your room, do u have one?

Thanks man. I read your grow journal, and its been useful so thanks.

I dont have a fan in there at present, Im still working on the heat but I will get a small one, cheers.

I will shade the thermometer.

Ok I transplanted into 2x coco, I should have gone hempy but I didn't think about it hard enough beforehand. Hempy for the next two for sure. (my understanding of hempy is that you drill holes like 1/3 of the way up the container so there is a constant reservoir or water in there).

I put water in with a 1/3 strength mix of Canna Coco until it ran out the bottom.

I also constructed a cool tube but Im not happy with it yet so wont post what it looks like till Im done.

:thumb:

IMG_24487.jpg
IMG_24477.jpg
IMG_244411.jpg
IMG_24438.jpg

Those temps look much better Neg. and a couple nice looking kids there. I love the Hempy system. The drain hole is put 1.5 to 2" up from the bottom. Took a bit of worry out of watering since the pot will only hold water below the hole, No chance to over water for people like me. :peace:

Yes the temps look heaps better eh? When I finish the cool tube properly, they will be lower again I think.

I will use the next two as hempy as a learning curve, of course if they are male then I wont learn much!

With regards to your earlier post Im definitely going to put the carbon material on the outside.

Im also going to buy a much more powerful fan. Maybe a centrifugal fan.

:morenutes:

Back
Top Bottom