First Scrog

My AK48 #3 began producing many female pollen sacks late in flower and I removed all of the female pollen sacks with a sharp pair of scissors. I would closely inspect the buds of the plant that produced the male pollen sacks for further pollen sacks.

Day 35

IMAG036219.jpg
IMAG035716.jpg
IMAG035421.jpg
IMAG036125.jpg
IMAG035624.jpg
IMAG035321.jpg
IMAG035516.jpg
IMAG035123.jpg
IMAG035020.jpg

Been a while since I checked in. Wowee! Looking awesome! -as I figured it would be. How did things work out with the nanners? I never had trouble picking them out though I didn't like picking through the buds much. I never got very many and they didn't seem to put up much of a fight

They were kind to me to. I grew one strain for 3 years and I always had a few with that strain so figured it was genetics. At first I freaked out, then got used to it. Those things don't produce much pollen, unlike the male flowers. I would have a few seeds but it stayed at the level where it was never a problem- if I gave some bud away or made some trades with it- people were happy to find a seed or two actually.

damn that looks great... can we go into scrog and lollipop our plants after flowering, or is it going to stress them too much? mine are in the 4th day of flowering and I surely will scrog and lollipop them if I can... those actually look sweet want mine to look the same :bravo:

after some reasearch and hours watching videos, it seems that SCROG after flowering is a bad idea, the hormones will have to become uniform once again inside the plant, this may cause stress and therefore hermafrodite plants might emerge...
however, it seems lollipoping after flowering is common, and although there's still danger on doing so, for what I've seen they don't go hermi, or at least I haven't seen any, which is good

I have 2 big girls(White Kush and Kaya 47) in the 21st day of flowering now, the 6 clones of one of them(Kaya 47) are now in the 4th(I was wrong before sry), I think I'll lollipop 2 of the clones, and watch them closely for hermi signs... I'll let you know the result

and meanwhile we are all looking up for the dry weight result on this :thumb:

Interesting. I scrog when I move to the flowering room, before that the plants are tied down and have been through a bunch of training and supercropping, etc. There isn't a huge amount of rearrangement that goes on when I put the screen on other then just spreading them out (obviously, lol ). I can't see the spreading/tucking process that goes on during the next few weeks of stretch as being hugely different than it would be if the plant was already in the screen.
From being in a pot tied down to the sides, then putting the screen on at the same time I put them in the flowering room under 12/12-the plant looks like this 2 1/2 weeks later. (Excuse me, I hope you don't mind the pic Dankstank)
image22050.jpg

A bit of branch redistribution doesn't seem like it would be that stressful- sort of business as usual for a plant, no? Actually the life previous to being put in the screen would have been far more stressful than what happens after the beginning of flowering. Anyway, I haven't noticed any hermaphrodite problems yet. Would be curious to know where you found the info though...

That makes sense, but won't hormone distribution while making the flowers cause stress to the plant? I assumed stress would lead to hermi
Every vid I saw people either trained the plants before, like you seem to do, or started the scrog in veg
My bad, sorry, that actually makes sense and gives me more freedom to deal with my garden

I'm no expert, just going by my not so vast experience and what seems to make sense. Though what 'seems' to make sense isn't always so I'm sure. Some people do three major defoliations during flowering, which to me would seem Hugely stressful, and report no hermies.

A plant is constantly adjusting growth hormones during almost it's entire life I'm sure, and I can't see that it would be considered a stressful thing for it to be doing that, it's just how they grow, right? The first few weeks of the 12/12 light schedule isn't really flowering anyway, it's more of a large vegetative growth period, of sorts...

A lot of people talk about stress causing hermies. I've seen plants that went hermie apparently because of light leaks, and others apparently because of cold temps. One recently on a journal that appears to have just gone hermie on one branch which was broken/damaged. Lots and lots of other plants in journals that have undergone extreme stress and never went hermie. Also some plants that seem to hermie for no particular reason at all. My feeling is that some plants/strains are just more susceptible to going hermie to begin with and either would have gone hermie regardless, or were pushed over the brink by some stress. There definitely seems to be some mystery surrounding the issue. But in general in my growing I haven't seen much of an issue with it. One strain I grew was prone to having a few hermie traits like the ones in this journal, easily controlled, and it was always just that one strain and no other ones, even though all plants had more or less the same treatment. Also- growing from seed there is always the occasional plant that shows as a hermie at the time it shows sex. The issue I consider most re hermies during flowering, is light leaks at night.

I would veg the plants under screens if it was convenient or necessary for me to do that, but it's a pain to carry the scrog contraption from the veg room to the flowering room, and I just haven't seen any reason to yet.

Back
Top Bottom