First time low budget

Re: first time low budget..

well i got the front all sealed up (temporary)
temps are at a steady 30c or 86f about 18-20 inches from light,, (top of tallest plant, the rest are about 4-5" shorter)

is this acceptable temperature,,,i know i read 70f-80f with light on ,, but was wondering if you think i can get away with 86f. ??
maybe tomorrow once i get a smaller fan inside for circulation it will help,,

so as long has it has two hairs out of a pod than female?
and if more than one pod a male?

Murphy says that if you find yourself jumping up and down and doing the happy dance it's a girl... But if you find yourself saying, "Hmm... I thought yesterday that I'd be able to tell today. I'll just wait until tomorrow," that it'll be a boy. And that you'll wake up to find it's blown pollen all over your girls.

Males tend to show first but first-time growers tend to keep wondering about them until after the girls show. And keep wondering. And then they open flowers and get the magic yellow dust everywhere.

If you see a ball without two little white hairs, it's a boy. If you think it might be a girl that you just can't see the hairs on, go to RatShack or someplace and get a 10x scope or a little 10x loupe like numismatists use. The two little hairs will look like pieces of yarn. Sticky pieces of yarn.

Murphy says that if you find yourself jumping up and down and doing the happy dance it's a girl... But if you find yourself saying, "Hmm... I thought yesterday that I'd be able to tell today. I'll just wait until tomorrow," that it'll be a boy. And that you'll wake up to find it's blown pollen all over your girls.

Males tend to show first but first-time growers tend to keep wondering about them until after the girls show. And keep wondering. And then they open flowers and get the magic yellow dust everywhere.

If you see a ball without two little white hairs, it's a boy. If you think it might be a girl that you just can't see the hairs on, go to RatShack or someplace and get a 10x scope or a little 10x loupe like numismatists use. The two little hairs will look like pieces of yarn. Sticky pieces of yarn.
that reaaaaaaaally blow, I've been wondering one the pod on one of my plant for about 3 days now, thanks for the insight Tortured+Rep for new info

not a very good day,,
im killing 3 out of the 5 plants today,,
im sure one is male,,(has two pods at every node) and like 90% sure the other two are,,only one pod at node but no hairs,,

i mangled them pretty good anyways searching every pod for hairs,, none,,

the other two both have hairs coming out of pods they have,, so i figure if they are showing by now,, and the others have pods but no hairs,, gotta be male,,
gonna kill anyways to be on safe side,,

(especially after torturedsoul got me scared with murphy's law,,:cheesygrinsmiley:)

just kidding, great advice cause that is exactly what i would of done, is just keep saying well maybe tomorrow they show hairs,, no? oh well maybe tomorrow,, lol

one pod did look like it was cracked open,, but i really think to early to pollinate anything as still in veg, i hope so anyways,,

here's the one for sure male and two presumed ones,,
rsz_picture_094.jpg

here's the only two left,, :( ,, but oh well at least i got two,, could of got one or none i guess,,
start some more seeds soon and hope for better next time,,
rsz_picture_093.jpg

well heres the roots of the males i pulled,,,
running in circles like that does that mean they rootbound?
or is this normal they just grow faster down than out,?

rsz_picture_097.jpg

rsz_picture_099.jpg

Plants look good man!

Yes they look rootbound, but they look healthy and white!... Good work!

thanks for stopping by and having a look doc,,

hmm ,, i just transplanted into those pots like a week ago,,
if those ones are rootbound, the other two most likely are two, eh!

especially if there bigger,, hmmm,,
guess i gotta get some 5 gal, pails,, i hope that will be big enough to finish grow,,

once a plant has been rootbound, does it have a tendency to go rootbound faster once transplanted to bigger pot? Cause when i transplanted these both times before, they had roots going in cirlces that like too,,

Were you sure they were male? i tought all three of mine were male for a while i jus let them flower but as soon as i saw more lil balls then i took him out but didnt see any on the others so left them and they are now female! sorry about the males if they were. Good luck

well just checking in,, and ya i got a few more questions,, ;)

the bigger female has decided to go a stretchy on me after being under the hps light,,
at least i hope thats what causing it and not starting flowering stretch,,

but she is now 16" tall and well i only have like maybe 2.5'-3' maximum growing space so i gotta really start to learn how to clone and top properly,,
i wanna take clones from her and top her down,, so i don't have to start seeds and waste time on males again,, and so her height can maybe be maintained for flower.

rsz_picture_102.jpg

1. should i do this before or after transplant,, which they both need,, or can i transplant and top and clone all same day?

2. can i top the plant several nodes down from the top?ie: like 1/3 of the plant,,(so same height as other one?) then take clones from those branches,,?

3. does there have to be at least 3 nodes on a branch to use for clone?

thanks for the help guys,, i have been reading and reading about cloning and topping and fim-ing and pruning, and cloning, and supercropping and lst-ing and,,, well i just don't like the thought of cutting up my plants,, not fully understanding how to?? :cheesygrinsmiley:

well just checking in,, and ya i got a few more questions,, ;)

the bigger female has decided to go a stretchy on me after being under the hps light,,
at least i hope thats what causing it and not starting flowering stretch,,

but she is now 16" tall and well i only have like maybe 2.5'-3' maximum growing space so i gotta really start to learn how to clone and top properly,,
i wanna take clones from her and top her down,, so i don't have to start seeds and waste time on males again,, and so her height can maybe be maintained for flower.

1. should i do this before or after transplant,, which they both need,, or can i transplant and top and clone all same day?

2. can i top the plant several nodes down from the top?ie: like 1/3 of the plant,,(so same height as other one?) then take clones from those branches,,?

3. does there have to be at least 3 nodes on a branch to use for clone?

thanks for the help guys,, i have been reading and reading about cloning and topping and fim-ing and pruning, and cloning, and supercropping and lst-ing and,,, well i just don't like the thought of cutting up my plants,, not fully understanding how to?? :cheesygrinsmiley:

1. You can do it all the same day. 2 Yes I top mine on the 4th node. 3 Yes 3 or more is best.

Pan4

Nice looking plants. Good luck on cloning and transplanting. You can go to walmart and get root hormone for pretty cheap

just try and do what i did, i went to Foxfarms.com and they have this thing that if you wanna buy a product takes you to a map and so i clicked the state i was in then it ask for the city so i did and guess what never in the world would i have known that a hydro store was right down the street so maybe if you do the same it might give you some info of places around you

I have been looking for the last four weeks trying to find a place that I can buy good soil and ferts. Thought I was going to have to drive 4 hours to the nearest hydro store and then I saw this posting and found a dealer in town. You just saved me man. Much appreciated.

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

great lookin plants! im a noob too and its good to read this and see someone askin all the questions i would have

ok,, well wokeup to find some yellowing on new growth,,,
like in the middle of the leaves, patches of light green,,,

just watered 2 days ago,, without nutes,,
the previous watering about 9 days ago was first time with full strength nutes,, i am thinking i should of watered with nutes this time too,,
but now i have to wait like 6-7 days to water again,, so foilar feeding with light nutes to see if it helps,,

any ideas what else could be,,

hard to see in this pic
rsz_picture_105.jpg

here's better one to see it
rsz_picture_104.jpg

and heres some browning on just mainly this one leaf,,
rsz_picture_106.jpg

rsz_picture_107.jpg

still debating cloning and topping or just starting flower tomorrow after i transplant,, and just start new seeds,, i am wanting harvest already,,
its been 45 days still vegetating,, sigh,,,

I have been looking for the last four weeks trying to find a place that I can buy good soil and ferts. Thought I was going to have to drive 4 hours to the nearest hydro store and then I saw this posting and found a dealer in town. You just saved me man. Much appreciated.

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

glad i came in handy! lol and the plants look good besides the lil spots maybe be some heat?

hey guys,, thanks for your continued support and knowledge on this slow and frustrating grow,, :thanks:

well, today the big girl still looks unhealthy,, all new growth is like splotchy green and light green,, i went ahead and took clones and transplanted her to bigger pot,, i also watered with half strength nutes,, so hopefully that helps,, they were slightly rootbound again,,i grabbed the roots running in circles and slightly pulled them away from running circles,, hopefully didnt damage to much,,

I took 8 cuttings from the bigger plant,, they were all from the bottom 4" and all had at least 3-4 nodes on them,, they were small tho,, ranging in size from 2.5"-4.5",,so i am doubting they gonna root,, i also broke a branch on the other plant while trying to trim up some dead growth,, so i just cut it and put in glass of water and see if that works,,

here is stem after taking the cuttings,,
rsz_picture_115.jpg

and here are the cuttings,,
rsz_picture_109.jpg

rsz_picture_114.jpg

rsz_picture_110.jpg

i could not decide which method to use,, so i did an assorment of methods,,lol,, most i did not trim all leaves,, some i did except top two and growing top,, all got clipped 45 degree angle and all got rooting gel,, some got scarred some did not,,etc. etc.

well i hope it works,, but the plant needed cleaned up at the bottom anyways, cause just too much growth right down to the soil, that just did'nt seem like was gonna get enough light,,

here's the girls after transplanting and taking cuttings,,i did not top,, just gonna tie over or something if get to big,,
rsz_picture_111.jpg

wish me luck guys,, any suggestions??
should i remove all leaves on the cuttings except top two and growing tip??
just seemed mean losing all the leaves,, especially when so small,,??

Back
Top Bottom