First time low budget

Re: first time low budget..

its been 30 days and only 6" tall,,gotta be bad soil,

Or 6500K CFLs right at the top of the plants giving them the type and amount of light they're looking for to form REALLY short internodal lengths. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

haven't watered in a while cause was wanting to transplant first ,, so i hope that is all thats wrong,, i gave them a good watering and foilar spray

Depending on your definition of "in a while" it could certainly be from lack of water. When a soil-grown plant wants to lay down on the job that's the first thing I'd think of (if a hydro-grown one is lacking water I guess you'd notice it by the fact that you were standing in a puddle lol).

BtW, I hope your foliar spray didn't have anything in it - or at least nothing harsh - as it might be like kicking a man when he's down.

two gallon pots $6 (i hope these will be big enough as will already be 3rd time transplanting,, might just use some 5 gal, bags instead)

I've heard one gallon per vertical foot of plant-height in soil but of course with an excellent nutrient mix and feeding schedule you could fudge it a little (and if you're growing a really branchy plant say in a Scrog type grow with extended veg time you'd really want much more than one gallon per foot).

i need this built fast cause girlfriend REALLY wants closet back

Yup, if we don't keep our girlfriends happy, someone else will.

i just put the thermomter in there and was almost 100 F,, yikes!!

100°F(!!!) and you haven't been watering your plants and are wondering if lack of water is why they've been laying down? <DING DING> We have a winner! lol

man my posts are long

YOUR posts are long? Uh oh, I think I'm in trouble. :slide:

Looks like Project Growroom is coming along nicely!

lol,, ya it kinda clicked when i read <DING DING> ,,
im glad there people like you guys around here to make a noob like me open his eyes and see the problem,, im usually to worried thinking the worst,,lol,,
but ya they just needed a good drink,, all is good now and gots temps down to 81f,,
still waiting on light and finishing box to move them,,

but is this a preflower while still in veg,,
can i tell if male or female while still in veg,,
looks like little pod with 2 hairs coming out,,
do i have to worry about males flowering and pollinating females while in vegetation,, or only when go to flower,,
rsz_picture_048.jpg

rsz_1picture_0502.jpg

but ya they just needed a good drink,, all is good now and gots temps down to 81f,

Think I read that on a hot day a mature silver maple tree can transpire as much as 58 gallons of water per hour. Think of it as the plant's air-conditioning mechanism, or like when we sweat for cooling. The hotter the weather the more they transpire. Yours were hot and didn't have the moisture to uptake from the soil to replenish what they "sweated," thus their built-in cooling mechanism shut down and the plant went into emergency survival mode.

but is this a preflower while still in veg,,
can i tell if male or female while still in veg,,
looks like little pod with 2 hairs coming out,,

Congratulations, IT'S A GIRL! :cheer:

do i have to worry about males flowering and pollinating females while in vegetation,, or only when go to flower,,

Well, that IS a female flower. AfaIK if pollen gets to it, it will develop a seed.

kinda strange unless it has some autoflowering genes in it. but yes i believe you have a preflowering girl on your hands. congratz!
how big is she? if it were me i would prob just throw her on 12/12 now, she seems confused at the moment lol

Have seen plants throw out a couple preflowers after their sixth node or so and continue to happily vegetate for another month or more.

Have also seen them continue to throw them out here and there - but still continue to vegetate. Looked kind of weird but...

Of course if they actually have AF genes in them, they would start to flower in earnest.

I guess if it were me, either way I'd keep them in 18/6 or whatever if I wasn't ready to flower yet. If they turned out to be AF, they'd flower either way and would use the light.

ya i can see what difference the heat and dry made for the plant,, just like brand new plant again today,,but man i coulda swore yesterday there was a 10% chance of survival,,:)

lol,, she isn't the only one confused,,:),,i thought plants only show after 12/12 for a week or more,

im just going to continue vegging for a bit, i want at least 1' tall plants to flower,,
looks like i got 3 females ,, cause they look like that too ,, and one male i think cause looks kinda same but no hairs coming out or not like those ones,, and one thats got nothing,,lol,,like a barbie doll,, but gonna flower them all i think except maybe one i might keep for mother,, but i got more seeds so likely not,,

transplanting tonight to 2 gal,, hoping maybe 1' tall when flower and grow to 2' - 2.5' when done,, they sativa dominate,, so i hope they don't get too much taller than that.
hoping i dont have to transplant again,,

can i trim the roots when i transplant ,, how much to trim,, i am prepared for a little stunt in growth ,, but not wanting like 2 week or more stunt either,,

What you have here is a sexually mature plant. ;-) This is normal for most strains to show signs of sex when they mature. Most people throw their plants into flowering before they do this, and that's ok. It's refreshing to see someone waiting to flower. Great job!

Congrats on the girl! seems like you found out your plants sex before mine! And i have also seen and heard plants on veg have the pistils come out i guess it can also mean a sign of maturity looking good! +REp i know you have learned alot and its showing!

Congrats on the female. Now your in for a show. Mine are still young, but damn they look beautiful.

Hey everyone,, thanks for the congrats, and the support!
Growing is alot more complicated than i had originally anticipated!
And im only 1/3 the way there,,lol
so hopefully you guys will continue with your support and maybe, just maybe, i might make it to the finish line,, :cheesygrinsmiley:

So i finally got the plants transplanted to bigger pots and much better soil,,
Have got flower chamber half built,, waiting on light which supposed to be here tomorrow,,

But in the mean time got a couple more pics of couple more plants,,
they don't have the hairs like the girl couple posts back,,this mean there males?? Should i just flower anyways and see cause they still might be girls?
Im really scared of having a male sneak through and pollinate my females cause im too inexperienced to correctly identify them,,
rsz_picture_062.jpg

rsz_picture_059.jpg

rsz_picture_058.jpg

rsz_picture_057.jpg

rsz_picture_056.jpg

rsz_picture_055.jpg

I dunno maybe i just gotta flower them to be able to truly tell?

And heres a shot of the cabinet partly done,, still working out a few things, like door and ventilation and light traps,, might just have dark time at night and not turn the lights on in bedroom from 12pm to 12am so dont have to rig up clumsy light traps,,have a fan for exhasuting light hood but pretty sure its a peice of crap and likely gonna need better one,,
rsz_picture_0651.jpg

couple things i would do different next time,,

1.use thicker plywood, i used 3/8 and kinda wimpy
2. make sure have sharp saw, could not for the life of me find my good crosscut saw and had to use ancient dull saw, so my cuts are pretty crooked, and i use to frame houses so its quite frustrating looking at this horrible box,,lol,,shoulda waited to get better saw,,
3.basically don't skimp out,,lol,, the screws i bought were too cheap and the head kept rounding out from the bit half way into the wood,,ARRRGHH!cheap junk!
4.should of smoked this skywalker before hand,(must'a been grown under cfl cause so light and fluffy, no density,, but still good) instead of waiting till after,, maybe i would of had a bit more patience and maybe a more steady hand using the dull ass saw,,lol
rsz_picture_061.jpg

I would just keep flowering them but keep a close eye on them everyday so as soon as you spot at male bam! you get him out! and your cabinet is not crap! i bet after you put some mylar in there some lights and get everything going its gonna be a masterpiece grow cab! looking forward to seeing how the cab ends! the plants still looking nice!

thanks for the rep guys!
basically like rep-ing yourself tho,,lol, you guys are basically growing these plants,, im just the labourer! :cheesygrinsmiley: much appreciated!

Ya i think when i go to flower them just gonna flower all of them and keep a close eye like l8tnight says,, just so paranoid im gonna mistake a male for female ruin it all. but that's not gonna be for a couple more weeks so maybe they will show more signs by then and don't have to waste time and room flowering males,,

One more thing im still anxious about,,
Do i have to worry about a male going into flower when still in veg? I don't think so but i kinda wanna make sure cause i did not think a female would show signs that she's mature and ready to flower in veg either until she did it. just wanna know if i have to keep close eye on them even in veg so don't have males pollinating females.

Well still waiting on hood and bulb for the 400whps,, so the building the box is at stand still as i wanna have everything before i set up ventilation,,
heres the wired ballast
ballast2.jpg

The plants seem to really like the new soil and bigger pots,,
the big momma there grew 3 inches in 3 days pretty much, i wanna keep her mom and clone from her,
but at this rate she won't be big enough to clone for a while (still only 10 inches tall, but maybe she has now started to pick up since new soil)

But i don't really understand cloning just yet,, i get you cut a branch off and grow it,,lol, but everything i have seen looks like you gotta count nodes on a branch and her branches only seem long enough to have one node? i dunno, gotta do more reading and learning likely,, :cheesygrinsmiley:
the rest are between 6-7 inches, i do think they all stunted because of variation in temps,, from like 75f to over 95f sometimes,, something i want to sort out for the new chamber,,
heres some pics,,,,
rsz_picture_069.jpg

rsz_picture_072.jpg

And heres the Mangled Tangled mess one that i topped in disgust..
looks like gonna survive ,,kinda looka like gonna have 4 tops coming up,,
rsz_picture_070.jpg

rsz_picture_068.jpg

And this shows the hack job,,:cheesygrinsmiley:,, if its a female,,likely gonna go outside,,
rsz_picture_071.jpg

Tie down the tips to promote branching if you want to clone from them later. Although if the "topping" you did was 3" long or so you could have used it to attempt to clone. Bottom branches seem much easier to root though.

Back
Top Bottom