Graytail's Cupwinners in High Brix Soil - 4x4 - 600W HPS - Perpetual

Hey Graytail,

Quick drive by as I've been swamped at work lately. Really love your Hawaiian Snow. :adore:I've got two Sativa dominent bag seeds and I've really been struggling with mine. They got way bigger than I anticipated and seem to be super sensitive to the nutes. But those girls of yours are just gorgeous. I've taken some cuttings though and should they turn out to be worthwhile will make another run at growing them.

Don't mean to slight any of your other plants as they all look great as well. I've been interested in Doc's High Brix methods/kit almost since my first day as a member here so I'm excited to see you growing with his kit and will be really interested in hearing your thoughts on the end product.

Be well friend and as always; Happy Growing!

Order Up! LOL :laugh:

Dude,

What happened with your other journal? I went to catch up one day and all the sudden it's abandoned? WTF

TanR it's good to hear from you again as well, I just commented to graytail he had been commenting as well as you on my other journal, but I never was able to get im to start one, this is awesome!!!DB

Hey Graytail,

Quick drive by as I've been swamped at work lately. Really love your Hawaiian Snow. :adore:I've got two Sativa dominent bag seeds and I've really been struggling with mine. They got way bigger than I anticipated and seem to be super sensitive to the nutes. But those girls of yours are just gorgeous. I've taken some cuttings though and should they turn out to be worthwhile will make another run at growing them.

Don't mean to slight any of your other plants as they all look great as well. I've been interested in Doc's High Brix methods/kit almost since my first day as a member here so I'm excited to see you growing with his kit and will be really interested in hearing your thoughts on the end product.

Be well friend and as always; Happy Growing!

Order Up! LOL :laugh:

LOL, only this order ain' for no one but this guy here! Well, and his wife. Heheh, I've barely even cooked a meal at home the last few days - Graytail is in full decompression mode.

Ain' that Hawaiian Snow purdy? Such a nice egg shape to 'er. The key was throwing her into 12/12 at 16 days with virtually no veg time - and she still took 5 more weeks to bloom. That strategy didn't work worth a crap for the SLH though. Sheesh, who's ever heard of a 2 foot Haze? I mean, really.

Put those cuts into 12/12 as soon as they root!

:thumb:

Oh, I can also recommend an Uncle Ben topping - hack em off at the 3rd or 4th node. My experience with the Jamaican surprised me. I got 6 nice equal branches - barely slowed it down, either.

Good for you Graytail. Decompression is always a good thing.

Thanks for the tip on growing the Sativa. I'll have to try that on the next round.

Congrats on the harvest. :goodjob: I've looked into the bud wash and I'm gonna try it when I harvest.

Thanks a ton, stealthgrow!

I like the way the wash sort of plumps up the buds, too - they look great all wet and glistening! And I think they dry better - a sort of firmer, crispier texture to them. I've also been doing a pretty extreme temp difference to bring out color. I just fill one side of the sink with hot water and the other side with cold. Hot is probably 120 and cold 55 = 65 degree spread. I can't wait to try it on a purple - my room will be in the 60s at night this winter.

Thanks a ton, stealthgrow!

I like the way the wash sort of plumps up the buds, too - they look great all wet and glistening! And I think they dry better - a sort of firmer, crispier texture to them. I've also been doing a pretty extreme temp difference to bring out color. I just fill one side of the sink with hot water and the other side with cold. Hot is probably 120 and cold 55 = 65 degree spread. I can't wait to try it on a purple - my room will be in the 60s at night this winter.

Your whole grow is really, really nice!!! I did the hot/cold to a pink bud it worked out fantastic, be careful the "cold" bucket gets warm pretty fast. Basically I ended up changing the 3 buckets after each plant. You can make the "final rinse" your first bucket and just change 2. I have 2 purples (gdp x purple power) just starting ;)

Your whole grow is really, really nice!!! I did the hot/cold to a pink bud it worked out fantastic, be careful the "cold" bucket gets warm pretty fast. Basically I ended up changing the 3 buckets after each plant. You can make the "final rinse" your first bucket and just change 2. I have 2 purples (gdp x purple power) just starting ;)

Ah, it's fulfilling to get a compliment from one of my benchmark growers! Thank you, Curso.

I hadn't considered how fast the cold warms up ... but I've only done one plant at a time - under 2 z's each. Yeah, I bet you'd have to refresh water often when you do multiple plants.

I can offer another assurance. I just dump all the produce into the hot side at once, then agitate and pull them out one at a time. That means the last ones soak in that hot water as long as maybe 5 minutes, with no ill effects.

Nice!!! I would suspect that if the water were over 150 that the outcome would have been a bit wilted, your temp range is perfect :) please continue :high-five:

(Curso is a chef - knows about working with fresh produce)

I need some advice on my plants yellowing a few weeks into flower. It was gracious of y'all not to point it out, thank you, but I did it to every one of them except the Jamaican and I feel really sheepish about it. I remedied it by recharging the 6-5-3 minerals and giving them some fish ferts. Within a couple weeks, they all greened back up, but I'd like to know what actually happened and how exactly to prevent it.

These were the mineralized plants, and the first one to go yellow was the SLH immediately after I gave it the Cat Drench. My first thought was, oops, not compatible with the 6-5-3. I doubted N def, because I had just given them N in the drench. So, I figured I killed the mineral ratios. But after looking into the drench, I thought maybe the microbe shift went bad, which would mean I didn't have a good soil biology. Or, the soil just ran out of minerals, hence the topdressing. Well, actually, not topdressing. I wanted to get minerals down into the soil so I took a wide bladed chopping knife and plunged it down into the soil in a radial pattern around the pot. I wedged it to the side and poured a small slurry of minerals/water down the crack at 8 points around the pot. Anyway, it cleared up. At the moment, Kerala2 is looking pretty bad - shoulda gotten to her earlier.

So, what happened? Why the N def? Do I need to feed more N? How much, how often? I thought the soil should have provided enough N. Will this happen in the True High Brix soil, too?

I need some advice on my plants yellowing a few weeks into flower. It was gracious of y'all not to point it out, thank you, but I did it to every one of them except the Jamaican and I feel really sheepish about it. I remedied it by recharging the 6-5-3 minerals and giving them some fish ferts. Within a couple weeks, they all greened back up, but I'd like to know what actually happened and how exactly to prevent it.

These were the mineralized plants, and the first one to go yellow was the SLH immediately after I gave it the Cat Drench. My first thought was, oops, not compatible with the 6-5-3. I doubted N def, because I had just given them N in the drench. So, I figured I killed the mineral ratios. But after looking into the drench, I thought maybe the microbe shift went bad, which would mean I didn't have a good soil biology. Or, the soil just ran out of minerals, hence the topdressing. Well, actually, not topdressing. I wanted to get minerals down into the soil so I took a wide bladed chopping knife and plunged it down into the soil in a radial pattern around the pot. I wedged it to the side and poured a small slurry of minerals/water down the crack at 8 points around the pot. Anyway, it cleared up. At the moment, Kerala2 is looking pretty bad - shoulda gotten to her earlier.

So, what happened? Why the N def? Do I need to feed more N? How much, how often? I thought the soil should have provided enough N. Will this happen in the True High Brix soil, too?

First of all, why waste the C-drench on non-high brix soil?
Second, you're probably overmineralized, over ferted, etc. You've flattened out the CEC of the soil.

I don't recall ever advising anyone with my kits or my 6-5-3 program to do what you did! You're on your own bro!

Yeah bro it just sounds like you might have had a bit of a panic attack on your plants. Rinse them and give them a good tea...NOT THE KIT TEA, save that for the kit. But with the 6-5-3 the t&j tea w/yucca extract hooked things in really nice.

Well actually, the remedy worked. I'm just waiting for the Kerala2 to recover. This all happened 3-4 weeks ago - you can see it in the pics. And they've all been getting alternate feedings of Trans/Tea and Energy/Tea since then with no odd effects. It was the cat drench that sent them into N def - not a good plan for 6-5-3. I want to be clear that Doc never recommended using his stuff with 6-5-3.

But I won't need to feed anything but the kit to the True High Brix plants? Y'all don't add anything that isn't in the directions? Sometimes loadies like me overlook stuff, y'know?

:cheesygrinsmiley:

(Thanks ataxian!)

It's been proven to me enough times that washing the buds prior to drying is a must. Problem is, I haven't found anything but a multitude of ways to do it, so I still need to investigate what ingredients with water would be the least harmful.

Good Weed Graytail my friend! I hope you and your family are well!

Well actually, the remedy worked. I'm just waiting for the Kerala2 to recover. This all happened 3-4 weeks ago - you can see it in the pics. And they've all been getting alternate feedings of Trans/Tea and Energy/Tea since then with no odd effects. It was the cat drench that sent them into N def - not a good plan for 6-5-3. I want to be clear that Doc never recommended using his stuff with 6-5-3.

But I won't need to feed anything but the kit to the True High Brix plants? Y'all don't add anything that isn't in the directions? Sometimes loadies like me overlook stuff, y'know?

:cheesygrinsmiley:

(Thanks ataxian!)

Correct....don't add or subtract anything with the kit.

What happened is the CEC of the soil went flat. All the binding sites for cations are now full, due to the C-drench. So the soil is hanging on to everything, instead of exchanging with the roots.

The 6-5-3 program was an attempt to "home build/DIY" a high brix soil. It was certainly a step up from regular organics, but there were some problems. The main problem stems from the fact that the soil was designed to be complete, whereas in the high brix program the soil+drenches+foliars are complete.

If you add high brix stuff to non-high brix soil, you'll never get quite the result you were looking for. With 6-5-3, stick to microbial teas and very light feedings. Don't attempt the C-drench or the foliars. (except Amaze and PGR, which help a little.)

The C-drench changes the ionic balance in the soil from negative to positive. It can't do this unless it's in high brix soil.....otherwise you have all kinds of problems!

Less is more. Follow the directions. It works...crazy good.

Thanks Doc, that's what I wanted to know!

I should learn something about teas, anyway. I'll do that for the Hawaiian Snow.

I will use Bloomit from time to time. It helps stop the stretch, really nice for a small area and plants that are going to well to large for it. Otherwise there is no need to add anything to the kit. He's got it covered. Just trust the plan and it'll all go well. I would suggest doing one "by the book" before experimenting. That way you have an idea what "perfect" is. Or just have something to gauge your progress in the experimenting with.

I will use Bloomit from time to time. It helps stop the stretch, really nice for a small area and plants that are going to well to large for it. Otherwise there is no need to add anything to the kit. He's got it covered. Just trust the plan and it'll all go well. I would suggest doing one "by the book" before experimenting. That way you have an idea what "perfect" is. Or just have something to gauge your progress in the experimenting with.

Yup, I plan to. I still see the kit as a distributed test program. If we don't follow directions, we don't get usable results.

I just wanted to get a feel for how the foliars and drenches work, so I've been using them on the 6-5-3. When I see what I get when using them on the kit soil, I'll have a reference.

Back
Top Bottom