Growlow's Recycling Organic Living Soil - 2000W HPS

Last year I tried to clone several plants.

I knew this about willow.

Ironically, the cloning that totally failed was trying to clone a willow.

The willow I took it from is probably over 150 years old, so not the most vigorous grower :)

I've also tried on an older Willow twice with different results both times. The only thing I could draw on was one was in worse health compared to the other and was certainly not in fertile soil.

Hmm, i've never soaked my cuts longer than it takes for me to complete the cloning I am doing at the time. Is this done to soften the stem? Ill try that next time.

A random experiment I did recently. I made a solution of fresh Aloe and water, and stuck cuttings in this. They were left in it for over three weeks. No roots ever showed, but the cuttings always looked like I just cut them, with some new growth. My humidity was and has been low. 40% ish where these were. After a bit over three weeks I threw them in the compost, as the other clones were already transplanted. I like testing and trying things that probably won't work lol.

Hmm, i've never soaked my cuts longer than it takes for me to complete the cloning I am doing at the time. Is this done to soften the stem? Ill try that next time.

A random experiment I did recently. I made a solution of fresh Aloe and water, and stuck cuttings in this. They were left in it for over three weeks. No roots ever showed, but the cuttings always looked like I just cut them, with some new growth. My humidity was and has been low. 40% ish where these were. After a bit over three weeks I threw them in the compost, as the other clones were already transplanted. I like testing and trying things that probably won't work lol.

There simply would not have been enough oxygen in the water to encourage any growth. It doesn't so much soften the stem as it does soak in its goodness to the stem helping to assist in the cut rooting once gelled and place in the medium you're rooting in. I'm sure to a degree the softening of the stem through soaking helps with roots to come through though I'm sure there is a limit on how long to soak. I've found this method to work 100% of the time. The length of time it takes for the cut to root is merely dictated by the strain and health of the cut otherwise.

Hmm very interesting! Cloning has to be my favorite part of growing. I just love taking a cutting and making it root! Ive tried many many methods and will definitely be trying this method. I may do a few different experiments with the same strain to see which roots best/fastest! Thanks for the Aloe idea!

There simply would not have been enough oxygen in the water to encourage any growth.

This isn't entirely true! This is how we clone all of our tomato plants with 100% success! You just stick them in a glass of water and two weeks later they are roots everywhere. I have did some test on cannabis and... well the success rate was no where near the tomatoes LOL.

This isn't entirely true! This is how we clone all of our tomato plants with 100% success! You just stick them in a glass of water and two weeks later they are roots everywhere. I have did some test on cannabis and... well the success rate was no where near the tomatoes LOL.

I should have been more specific in my description. There are multiple plants in the word that will root in water and actually water with low level of oxygen. Cannabis is just one of those plants that PREFERS to have more oxygen. If the cut is healthy enough and the humidity etc are right it is doable but far from ideal.

Cheers for pointing this out mate, gave me the chance to clarify! :volcano-smiley:

Interesting concept: cloning tomato plants.
Do you grow tomato year round?

A quick update.

THE FARKiN POWER CHORDS ARRIVED YEOW!!!! THANK THE LORD

Time to see what these CREE LED's can do.

20150429_172331.jpg

Morning Growlow, I'm curious about the plant you have in the black bucket. You have it trimmed up really high. Just wondering what the story is on it?

Morning Growlow, I'm curious about the plant you have in the black bucket. You have it trimmed up really high. Just wondering what the story is on it?

That sir is a charlottes web cut that was given to me by a friend. It had severe powdery mildew. I aggressively trimmed and treated the cut, have the room set perfect and that top growth believe it or not is new growth. I'm going to wait until that new growth develops some more, then to ensure I keep the genetics I might do a plant tissue culture and rewind this girl back down to her beginnings. In case you are not familiar with this technique it is a method of cloning through taking the plant back to a single cell and rebuilding it without passing along all the systematic issues that stay with cuts like mold and mildew as an example. Through tissue cell culture you are killing all the pathogens passed along the line that you get with the usual cut and gel method. This is a great method if you have a strain you have mothered flowered over and over again. Each cut looses a bit oomph as you go through this most used cloning process To re amp and bring back its full genetic potential, tissue cell culture is the only method I'm familiar with that does this very successfully if you have the right equipment and are thorough about sterilization.

Going to get all mad scientist in this journal. I just thought I'd warm you all up slowly :) :volcano-smiley:

I was just doing some curious reading on this two days ago. Pretty crazy being able to grow the plant back from a single cell. I'm even more excited for this journal now, and you have Charlottes Web!

Yeah to me its super exciting. I'm very organic in my approach to life so I try to be as organic in my approach to my scientific method as possible. In single cell cultures you need to use some aggressive cleaning solutions that would not always be considered as organic. I may cover another topic though I have some reservations.... as the process is HIGHLY toxic (even though it is organic).

I love my CBD strong genetics. I'm somewhat of a CBD hunter and currently have every available CBD strain except one that is out there including AC/DC, Sour Tsunami, Rosenthal, Charlottes Web and about 10 others which are Harlequin 2/1 1/1 and 4/1 pheno's and crosses. The only girl I need in my arsenal now is Cannatonic#4. The last piece of my puzzle. Once she is here then the party will begin. I have a VERY exciting breeding program planned. It will be started with Charlottes Web/ACDC/Sour Tsunami and C4 being bred to a Cannatonic male
that have all been treated with a specific method that will hopefully produce some PHENOMENAL new strains and genetics!

So not much to report in the room everything is growing like a dream. Room conditions are perfect. Room temps are 78-80f Humidity is sitting at around 55-65%. Constant air circulation. Intake air through a 6" HEPA filter. All air is exhausted through my portable Active Air 14,000 BTU AC. Doing the usual daily watering. I have re-positioned things a little. I wanted to get those White widow clones closer to the center. Can't wait to get cuts out of those 10 gal pots. They take up so much room in my Veg. It was really designed for much smaller pots though its only a small amount of time I need to endure that for. So here is a quick snap of the veg room and a couple nugs I chopped from those plants earlier described that were barely able to be revived.

The baby girls
20150502_021148.jpg

These girls will be topped tomorrow to create double heads. Once I get about an inches of growth I'll do something drastic and top again to create a four top base. Those stalks will grow to my desired length and then topped maybe another 4-5 times until I have 16+ tops.
20150502_021137.jpg

This here is Orange Kush
20150502_021339.jpg

This here is Diablo Kush
20150502_021443.jpg

I have "no shame in my game" as my mates in the states like to say. This is by far the worst I've ever produced but I still managed to bring the majority of them back from the dead and they produced decent resin considering the circumstances. There are stress factors that can increase resin production but flooding the plants like mine were (by an amateur care taker) isn't the kind of stress that resonates with that.

During tonights inspection I have noticed I have myself a minor gnat outbreak. Not surprised as I bought new organic bag bought soil. So its time to go on the offensive. Tomorrow once rested and armed I'll give you guys a play by play on my assault approach on these bastards. I'm coming from all angles and they aren't going to like me much... fark em!

If I have room in the next post I will start my open source concept on Compost tea's. I have a recipe that is about as close to VEGANIC as possible. Though I much prefer to go the Organic route and use Fish amino's that are like steroids in comparison to the veganic alternative which is Soy based amino's. I have been inspired further in my search and research into the best possible compost tea because of guys like Josh Cunnings of Boogie Brew compost teas. Who at one point in his life grew some awesome veganic bud. He has teamed up with some fantastic tertiary institutions who have studied his brews specifically. The knowledge out there on microbial life forms and their environments hardly skims the surface of whats actually in front of us. I'm blessed to be connected with some brilliant scientific minds that I made friends with while studying my Master Growers course at UW.

Hope you all had a great day. I'm going to continue to putt away being the night owl that I am... aren't most Mad Scientists?? :volcano-smiley:

Cheers

looking good man, i'm on board.. Not enough organic grow journals to keep me interested! We seem to have some JH about the same age(think mine is around day 11 or 12 now). Mine is an autofem though based on the original JH genetics from cropkings.

looking good man, i'm on board.. Not enough organic grow journals to keep me interested! We seem to have some JH about the same age(think mine is around day 11 or 12 now). Mine is an autofem though based on the original JH genetics from cropkings.

Cheers bud thanks for stopping on by :)

So for those unfamiliar with what a supersoil should look like about 4-7 days into it's "cooking" period. That means covered with a good level of moisture and the temps should be between 60-80 for optimal results. Speaking of which these are the results you want to see!
20150408_163932.jpg
20150408_164015.jpg

This is good stuff, I had some super soil cooking for the past week or so that I added some mycorzzial to and hadn't seen any webbing like this.. I had turned it a couple times and not noticed any at all.. went back to check after seeing this and boom there it was :). Excellent!

Should I be adding more water to my supersoil while it's cooking?

To really have optimum colonies it's a delicate dance of not too moist not too dry. Think of it like hydrating your body. You wouldn't want to dehydrate or over hydrate yourself. Treat living soil like a body of life like your own body and you'll be much more in tune with how to take care of your girls ;)

It's to really have optimum colonies it's a delicate dance of not too moist not too dry. Think of it like hydrating your body. You wouldn't want to dehydrate or over hydrate yourself. Treat living soil like a body of life like your own body and you'll be much more in tune with how to take care of your girls ;)

cool figured as much, just wanted to be sure.. thanks :) can't wait to put this cooked soil to use!

Back
Top Bottom