GrownManHollr's First Attempt — Hopeful Hempys

Good Luck Munki! Hope you'll share your results!
:rollit:

Oh I will. Just collecting the initial data on the grow first before posting. I'll share that I dunked 5 seeds x 2 strains (Malberry and Satori). Transferred to rockwool cubes about 20 hours later. The seeds were in the dark and the water was slightly warm to the touch. 4 of the 5 Malberry seeds already cracked but none of the Satori. Not surprised with the Satori as the shells look more substantial. I would have the Malberry ones could have been dudes on initial inspection, but they appear very vibrant indeed. F1 hybrids taking off!

Transplanted plant 5 into plant 3's old bucket on Sunday...
Plant5-11.jpg

It has settled in just fine. It's growing pretty well, it's almost as tall as plant 4 now (closin' in on the big 5.0)...(inches :) ). I know that it looks like it's pushed over to one side of the pot. It's planted in the middle of the bucket, but the stem is crooked (rough childhood).

Here's one of the whole crew...
GroupPic.JPG

The only one of the four that's not completely healthy at this point is plant 1. It's still really sluggish and it get's very withdrawn at times...
Plant127.JPG

Once again, bad parenting leaves scars - sometimes on the outside, sometimes on the inside.

It helps to talk.:peace:

Oh I will. Just collecting the initial data on the grow first before posting. I'll share that I dunked 5 seeds x 2 strains (Malberry and Satori). Transferred to rockwool cubes about 20 hours later. The seeds were in the dark and the water was slightly warm to the touch. 4 of the 5 Malberry seeds already cracked but none of the Satori. Not surprised with the Satori as the shells look more substantial. I would have the Malberry ones could have been dudes on initial inspection, but they appear very vibrant indeed. F1 hybrids taking off!

Sounds Good Munki!

I'll have to google those strains. There are so many options out there. It's great! :thumb:

Timothea may be a little short but she looks much better than her earlier pics. You're doing something right!

Hey GrowingGirls! Thanks for stopping in! Been quite busy with work (it's so inconvenient and gets in the way of the important stuff!) so I need to catch up on everybody's progress.

You're right about Timothea. Big improvement since moving her from the Wendy's cup. The translucent container had done some weird stuff to the roots. They were really fat and growing straight down all around along the inner wall of the cup. Where there was a ridge, they stopped and didn't go any further. Anyway, after going into the 1 gallon bucket, it's really perked up and is pretty much on par with the other plants (at least plant 4). The Indica characteristics are less pronounced than they were, but, are still there.

Here's a quick group shot from earlier today. They're all getting bushier.
groupShot0704.JPG

I'm really happy with how they're doing now. You can see some of the lateral growth I've been promoting with the CFLs.

One thing that seems to be helping is that I'm watering twice a day. I know that's contrary to what's worked well for others (at least in my limited reading), but, these are only 1 gallon buckets and the hole is less than 1 1/2 inches from the bottom. I believe they may deplete the nutrient in the res within a few hours of a watering.

Since I didn't start off this grow using Osmocote+, there isn't a layer of prills right above the level of the hole in the perlite (the way the good Dr. has prescribed). Instead I'm relying on a top dressing of prills. I know that this works fine as these plants are really healthy at this point. However, I think that it might require that more water flow over the prills higher up in the bucket for them to get all the nutes they want for vigorous growth.

For the past couple of days, I've run a total of 1 gallon of water (w/ CalMag+ and Hygrozyme only) through the 4 buckets each day. This is about twice what I was doing earlier and they seem pretty happy about it. There's been more visible growth than I saw before. I do have more solution draining to waste, but it's not excessive (IMO).

Here's a quick group shot from earlier today. They're all getting bushier.
groupShot0704.JPG

I'm really happy with how they're doing now. You can see some of the lateral growth I've been promoting with the CFLs.

One thing that seems to be helping is that I'm watering twice a day. I know that's contrary to what's worked well for others (at least in my limited reading), but, these are only 1 gallon buckets and the hole is less than 1 1/2 inches from the bottom. I believe they may deplete the nutrient in the res within a few hours of a watering.

Since I didn't start off this grow using Osmocote+, there isn't a layer of prills right above the level of the hole in the perlite (the way the good Dr. has prescribed). Instead I'm relying on a top dressing of prills. I know that this works fine as these plants are really healthy at this point. However, I think that it might require that more water flow over the prills higher up in the bucket for them to get all the nutes they want for vigorous growth.

For the past couple of days, I've run a total of 1 gallon of water (w/ CalMag+ and Hygrozyme only) through the 4 buckets each day. This is about twice what I was doing earlier and they seem pretty happy about it. There's been more visible growth than I saw before. I do have more solution draining to waste, but it's not excessive (IMO).

they are looking super good, bro.

It might be interesting to try to let them go longer without water and see what happens, but you won't over water them in the hempy set up.

Quality bud is your future! :yummy:

they are looking super good, bro.

It might be interesting to try to let them go longer without water and see what happens, but you won't over water them in the hempy set up.

Thanks Doc! I'm sure they would do fine with less watering. I know that part of it is that (as a new grower) I feel COMPELLED to give them something. Even after a full day, the res level is not greatly reduced. One reason hempy buckets appealed to me was that over-watering would be less likely to cause problems the way it does in soil.

Quality bud is your future! :yummy:

Man I HOPE you're right! Gonna do my best to keep them happy.

damn GMH,your plants seem to love the led,quite a diffirence from last photos.:goodjob::yummy:
HH

Thanks HH! Yeah, now that they're in good health, they're really pushing the growth out to catch as much light as possible. Not stretching toward the light though (which I like).

Plants are vegging along quite nicely. :bravo:

Thanks Munki! Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do with your lighting arrangement. I really like that light mover idea. I've been mulling over the idea of a tent and am considering the GrowLab 80L which is 2'7" x 4'11". Seems like my light with a small mover could probably do a decent job in that size of space (possibly supplemented with CFLs). Not looking to add the mover during this grow, but I might go ahead and get that tent and just use one end of it for now. It would provide some interesting possibilities for the future.

Plant 1 has an issue that I need to do something about. The runoff from that bucket is pretty rank (it stinks). I'm afraid that there may be some root rot going on there. I'm not shocked because that plant was half dead for a while. I've got some H2O2 (3% drug store variety) but am not sure how best to address the problem.

I'm gonna do some research, but, if anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

Plant 1 has an issue that I need to do something about. The runoff from that bucket is pretty rank (it stinks). I'm afraid that there may be some root rot going on there. I'm not shocked because that plant was half dead for a while. I've got some H2O2 (3% drug store variety) but am not sure how best to address the problem.

I'm gonna do some research, but, if anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

I've dealt with root rot.

First of all, you've got to make sure your temps aren't too high. Heating up the root zone is no bueno.

Next, use that H2O2, about 5 to 1 water to peroxide, and put it in a tub. Tip the buckets in an effort to drain as much water out of the hole as possible, then submerge the bucket in the tub of H202 for a while, then let it drain out. If you see foaming, etc, that's a good thing. You're killing the beasties.

Also, get some hygrozyme and use it every watering.

I've dealt with root rot.

First of all, you've got to make sure your temps aren't too high. Heating up the root zone is no bueno.

Next, use that H2O2, about 5 to 1 water to peroxide, and put it in a tub. Tip the buckets in an effort to drain as much water out of the hole as possible, then submerge the bucket in the tub of H202 for a while, then let it drain out. If you see foaming, etc, that's a good thing. You're killing the beasties.

Also, get some hygrozyme and use it every watering.

Doc,
Thanks very much for the reply.

Temps are running in the low to mid 80s during the day. I'm going to work on bringing that down (without the utility bill getting too crazy).

I'll definitely follow your advice with the H2O2 bath. Those soil growers get pretty extreme dealing with root rot. Not ready to go there!

Have been using hygrozyme from the start. Plant 1 has been through a lot. I really thought it was a goner a couple of weeks ago. Don't think I have this problem with the other 3.

Do you think I should incorporate a teaspoon (per gal.) of H2O2 along with the hygrozyme and CalMag+ for the regular watering solution?
:thanks:

Doc,
Thanks very much for the reply.

Temps are running in the low to mid 80s during the day. I'm going to work on bringing that down (without the utility bill getting too crazy).

I'll definitely follow your advice with the H2O2 bath. Those soil growers get pretty extreme dealing with root rot. Not ready to go there!

Have been using hygrozyme from the start. Plant 1 has been through a lot. I really thought it was a goner a couple of weeks ago. Don't think I have this problem with the other 3.

Do you think I should incorporate a teaspoon (per gal.) of H2O2 along with the hygrozyme and CalMag+ for the regular watering solution?
:thanks:

Nah....just hit 'em with the peroxide and be done with it.

Been Slacking on the journal here. Sorry!

I only ended up giving plants 1 and 2 the H2O2 sitzbath the other night. They did not like it much. Decided that plants 4 and 5 could sit pat.

The plants have been doing pretty well, though plant 1 has remained lethargic (especially after the peroxide soak). Been trying some LST with some noticeable results...This is plant 2.
Plant2LST1.JPG

Here's plant 4 and plant 2
LST28.JPG

This is one more of plant 2..
Plant2-LST.JPG

and plant 4
Plant414.JPG

I was pretty happy with the status of things..
But then I went completely INSANE!

Earlier this evening, I read Setting Sun's post about transplanting his hempys and decided I had to try that with plant 1. I have bigger buckets as it was the original plan to transplant, but had decided not to). It's been clearly unhappy about something and I wanted to see how bad the roots looked.

They actually looked really good...
roots113.JPG

But, I couldn't believe how they were PACKED in there. Anyway, I ended up moving 3 of the 4 plants to the bigger buckets. I cracked the 4th bucket accidentally. Will either patch or replace it tomorrow and move plant 5 as well. I really think they're going to be a lot happier this way (if they don't DIE of course ;) ).
Here is the root ball on plant 4..
Roots47.JPG

Ran the root balls through some H2O2 solution and then just some pH'd water with hygrozyme and CalMag+.
Here's a shot of plants 4 and 2 right after the transplants..
Plants2and4.JPG

Plant 1 looking forlorn
Plant1-22.JPG

It's perked up since this picture was taken.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes the roots to hit the res in these new buckets :wood: . They have a ways to go.

Transplanting at this stage of the game might have been a really bad idea.
Sometimes you have to GO FOR THE GUSTO! (Schlitz Anyone?)

Timmy.JPG

Back
Top Bottom