Fuzzy & the Hempy Bucket - Chrystal F1 Hybrid

fuzzy is spot on, have some reps sir if it lets me,

it seems lowering the humidity in flower is the best option to increase trich production, how ever the extra trich is hardly going to be noticed, most of the strength and trich is strain related, a lot of sativa strains dont produce much trichs and heavy indica plants produce lots of trichs, how ever this does not mean the strength is lower it just means their less of it.

so if you dont want the huge couch lock affect then harvest when the plant is ripe and thc is at its highest (100% cloudy or 90 to 95%cloudy as it will mature while drying for a day or 2), but if you choose an indica heavy strain then its going to give you the couch lock affect at 100% cloudy.

so something like a cheese or a skunk will have heavy couch lock affect even at 100% cloudy, letting it go amber turns the thc into cbn's, this is what gives us the stronger affect, how much stronger is hard to say, but i harvest mine at 20 to 40% amber and it turns out how i like it and helps me sleep, if i want a daytime smoke ill grow a sativa strain or 60% plus sativa strain. most of the trich production is down to good genetics, so choose a good strain and it will produce well, most land race strains dont produce huge amounts of trich or high cbn levels as this is why breeders have bred all these new strains so we can now buy products that we want to grow, if you want a strong strain then you got many indicas to choose from,

i harvested a critical sensi star a few weeks back and had a spliff last night, smoked half and i felt very nice, ive grown strains with plenty of trichs such as ak47 x uk cherry cheese alongside strains that dont produce much trics, both grown in same humidity and temps so clearly id have to say the strain plays the most important part in trich production indoors,

outdoors on the other hand im sure the sun plays a big part, if i remember right the sun gives us around 1000watts per ft, so the higher intensity and full light spectrum may play a part in this plus i guess depending on where in the world you live it may affect results,

i have heard that flowering plants in the middle of summer produces bigger buds how ever, indoors we use red light for flower and blue for veg, but this goes against flowering plants in the middle of summer, in the end of summer the red spectrum is more intense outdoors as the sun is lower down in the horizon, but flowering in the middle of summer seems to produce better results and bigger buds so clearly the whole spectrum plays a part and the extra light also may help, ive not grown outdoors yet so cant comment to much on outdoor growing, but im sure if you grew many strains outdoors you would have some covered in trich and others that dont have as much trichs on them,

m sure strain is the main part that produces the trichs, well im sure screwing up can cause a lot less trichs so getting the environment right will always produce good results

@fuzzy, is that purple bud one of yours, if it is go and enter in notm contest, unless you have won in the last 6 months i say you got every chance of winning with that

005913.JPG

Well it was from a Blue Mystic grow you can see why it gets its name, the light blue colouring comes from under good lighting but i'm afraid it only drys/cure's to the regular greenish of bud.

Just a little update...

Its been about a week since lights where flipped to 12/12, infact i don't normally count the first fews days of flip preferring to run from a week day on weekly basis to keep tracking of flowering weeks e.g sunday to sunday & for me it makes it a bit more easy to keep track of things...

Growth is rocketing ahead on average hempy girls 24 inches tall & the soil girls a tad behind around 18 inches tall.

PICT000255.JPG
PICT000148.JPG

Perhaps the soil girls will catch up in due time, but may show well why hydro style of growth is faster than soil growth at the end of day !

I guess that one's for hydro :)
We'll see about everything after harvest probably...

I guess that one's for hydro :)
We'll see about everything after harvest probably...

Ye the proof is in the pudding, we got some 9 weeks to go yet at best :thumb:

I always found flowering to be the exciting bit... lol

Its about one week after light flip to 12/12 or since i've formally counted the days...

Growth has slightly slowed down so i may not be as vertical challenged as i perceived, who knows as the days are still early the next couple of weeks may prove different ?

None the less a few pic's :thumb:

PICT000149.JPG

Hempy girls.

PICT000256.JPG

Soil girls.

PICT000351.JPG

Not the best pic's in the world but all showing early pistil/bud formation at the tips, i'll try next week to get some pic's out side of the tent...

hydro is at least twice as quick as soil, my dwc plants easily grow twice as quick as my soil plants, if you search the net for strain hunters kings kush video then they do a side by side grow from day 1 and you can clearly see the difference is huge, if hydro didnt leave me looking like a pro then id go with a hydro set up or a big 4 res dwc set up, but in soil i can say i just planted the seeds and watered them, in hydro or dwc they will say ive had to put a lot of thought into it as well as time and money so its a big risk for me to take.

i love my dwc grows, autos grow quicker and get bigger, regular plants grow quicker and take less time to get as big as i want them to, my dwc is at least twice as quick as my soil plants if not a bit more than that,

soil grown plants are suppose to produce better results but only if grown organic, some say the taste is better with soil grown plants but to be brutally honest when i grew the same strain in dwc and soil i could not tell the difference between the 2 when cured, if the labels fell of the jars i would not be able to tell the difference by looks or tase, so i cant tell the difference but i have read many times that soil grown plants produce the best quality overall, if they do i can tell the difference so it can only be very slight and possibly only noticable in a lab test,

but if the laws change where i am then i would change to hydro right now, but im fighting the law so need to keep it as basic as possible, the biggest dwc i grow is a 2ltr dwc and i only grow one at a time, but its clear from day1 that dwc easily outgrows soil plants, i have to put my dwc into flower 2 or 3 weeks before the soil plants just so they end up the same size and i dont have to raise or lower pots to get the best light, so hydro and dwc will always grow faster and produce more in the same time over the grow, this is clear in the strain hunters videos as well, they grow hydro and soil side by side with a few strains and the results are perfectly clear that hydro ends up 4 or 5 times the size at harvest, both plants are planted same day and harvested same day but the extra growth on the hydro plants is shocking, if i remember right the hydro plants produced at least 5 times the amount of the soil plants, could be more like 7 or 8 times what the soil plants produced,

but what i do know is that my soil grown plants grow better than strain hunters plants, for some reason all of their soil grown plants grow very slow, maybe its because their growing totally organic in some super soil type medium as they say they dont feed nutrients but their plants dont look like they need it, so their must be another reason why their soil plants dont get as big as mine in the same grow time, mine are sometimes twice the size of theirs over the same growing time

thanks for the info on the blue mystic, you got my vote in the contests as i think its a very nice looking plant, ive got some seeds ill be planting soon so hopefully they will produce results like yours, im hoping anyway, im going to try some different curing methods to see if its possible to retain the colour, ill try the regular jar cure, a vacumn cure where you seal the buds and suck all the air out with a machine then seal it and air the buds each day for 15 min or so, i just been reading about it in kings journal, then the least method is the water cure method where you put the buds in water and let them cure in water,

so a few methods to try so will be interesting to compare the results, which ever method works best ill use from then on

2 weeks since light flip as promised & a few pic's out side of the tent :thumb:

The hempy girls stand around 30 to 32 inches in height & a lot more bush mass, plenty of pistils 'n' early bud formation is very noticeable.

PICT000150.JPG
PICT000257.JPG

How ever i've had to remove the improvised run to waste system out side of the tent due to height limitations of max hanging height of reflector being reached & the smaller nature of the soil/organic girls !

PICT000554.JPG

I've experimented with feeding regime to include the following on average Hesi bloom & super vit, corrected PH water, Hesi bloom & corrected PH water every 2 days at present... which appears to work just fine with out any defs occuring or mineral/salt build ups to create nutrient burn !

This will change in the next few weeks as i will include a Hesi P/K flowering boost, hopefully to enhance yield :thumb:

The soil girls stand at around 22 inches that is some 10 inch difference from the hempy girls normally feeding BioBizz fish mix, bloom, heaven & alg-a-mic on a feed, water, feed regime with Bio heaven added once a week.

PICT000352.JPG
PICT000455.JPG

The height difference between soil/hempy is mildly puzzling but i have put this down to pot size as the soil/organic girls are in 6.5 litre air pots & the hempy girls are in 12 litre buckets filled to the 10 litre mark with perlite/vermiculite...

On the other hand it may be nutrient related organic vs hydro style nutrients & the more slow re-acting nature of organics & might be related to phenotype symptoms between soil & hempy... to which i'm still debating about this strain & of the F1 hybrid nature.

It also appears that the worst of the stretch is over much to my delight :love:

Ye i forgot to mention...

I'm pretty much rammed to the hilt in the grow tent, Nirvana the seed breeder suggest this is medium height growing strain in my little 90cm by 90cm tent !

PICT000151.JPG

Just to prove height difference between soil 'n' hempy...

PICT000258.JPG

Yup the soils girls in air pots are standing on a plant trough of 20cm/8 inch of height so that i can maintain an even canopy for equal light distribution with out the negitive effects of the square law of light effect !

Bollocks to the lower canopy at present !

Hum hum it is what growing is all about & the learning curve :thumb:

Might even lead to a mildly bigger tent so i can maintain a perpetual grow style with a hydro style system... & more likely looking at dripper or some sort of ebb & flood system now than DWC !

I take it your not a fan of Defol in flower? Looking big and mean though well done.

Mmm tough decision !

Even tho i've read up on defoliation technique & by some some members of these forums such as Cultivator & another guy i can not remember at present ?

I did once try it with a past soil grow :thumb:

Unfortunately with soil i did find the regeneration growth to be slow as when compared to hydro with soil grows weeks behind... so i abandoned that experiment whilst a predominate soil organic grower !

Even tho defoliation seems to favour hydro style growers in faster veg regen, i have not seen any really info on seed type being regular female or feminize stock to such a method best suitable ?

How ever regular or feminized seed may both hermaphrodite if grown under stressful circumstance more so to feminized seed :thumb:

So ye that is my question !

Does a feminized seed have more chance of turning hermie under defoliation than regular, as defol may be regarded as as high stress training !

As i've not seen any really hard evidence... i'm not gonna risk it at present !

Being that, this is my first attempt of feminized seed crop, as i wish to maintain a good harvest :high-five:

So experimenting is not an option at present, as i often prefer to watch a plant grow from seed to monitor characteristics of said strain before i dabble with other methods !

To which i will clone this strain for future work...

Growing a strain is totally different from seed or clone as their is a big difference in plant vigor !

At the end of day i'm not gonna rush into stuff for bigger yield cause i'm a greedy novice... but watching & learning over time for greater results is my method of choice, yes it may seem slow but i ain't gonna fuck up em up... coz some one said some where on some random forums...

Knowledge is power & it is best to always to do your research when regarding MMJ advice before accepting an answer to the question at hand !

Well said my friend and good job starting a little debate. I use fem seeds and defol regular all the way through. But its a personal call.

I do like a little debate about some things as ones views may become stagnant over time & i find it helps open the mind encouraging fresh research on the matter :thumb:

For some strange reason i've always enjoyed watching plants grow from seed & often let them get on with it...

Most of the experimenting often involves cloned stock with LST training & in the past mainly concerned with soil amendments & tinkering around with flowering phase timing...

How ever once i settle back down into a perpetual grow style using some form of hydro system which is still undecided yet, get a couple of cloned/lst grows done with strain to get an average yield & then i've got some back ground stuff to put defol up against to see if it does increase yield...

After all my burning desire is to see how stable this F1 hybrid feminize seed strain really is & i really want a half decent harvest for christmas 'n' new year... hence the no experimenting just yet :peace:

2. Is to see the taste/smoke/smell difference between soil/organic vs hydro style nutrients/inert growing medium for myself !

3. If it don't live up to expectations of my own standards, i may well look into final flush agents or end flowering finishing nutrients to improve taste...

4. If successful look at ball breaking yield methods so i can grow less plants to support my own personal needs & some where along the lines of 3 & 4 defoliation experimenting will take place as it is a method i must see for myself & learning curve :thumb:

But ye i don't like rushing into things i don't fully understand so a watch 'n' observe practice is my chosen method & that ya may have to put with with more than one journal of this current strain grown with the odd tweak here or their :high-five:

2. Is to see the taste/smoke/smell difference between soil/organic vs hydro style nutrients/inert growing medium for myself !

That's what I'm really interested in checking. A lot of people claim - and I mean growers with experience - that organic produces superior smell & taste + you need to probably add a difference in high. I've never done a comparative grow to have this box ticked, but you might give us an idea. You should probably adopt some form of double blind method (similar to wine tasting, which I believe ought to be a good standard to look upon) and then tell us what your experience was :)

That's what I'm really interested in checking. A lot of people claim - and I mean growers with experience - that organic produces superior smell & taste + you need to probably add a difference in high. I've never done a comparative grow to have this box ticked, but you might give us an idea. You should probably adopt some form of double blind method (similar to wine tasting, which I believe ought to be a good standard to look upon) and then tell us what your experience was :)

Ye that is what its all about the taste :thumb:

I have come with a method to test results as i have different shaped curing jars one being round & the other square for over all smell of bud test.

The other is to roll a few up & label em A & B, treating a few lab white mice to a tasty treat seeing what they think or even tell the difference... obviously i'm gonna give the bud a few weeks cure before this test is done :grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom