HashGirl's First Indoor Grow: Dark Devil Autos In Hempy, 2020

Good evening.

Yesterday was fertigation day but it didn't happen until around 5:30 p.m. because we had to go out and buy a new pH meter. I told Felonious I wanted a better one and that I would even be willing to pay for it personally if he didn't think "we" could afford it.

But, he concurred and we are now the proud owners of this beauty:

Hanna pH meter.jpg

It was more pricey than the ones I had found on Amazon but as soon as Felonious saw it was red, he said he knew we were going to buy it since red is my favourite colour. :battingeyelashes:

I fertigated the plants at 5.9 pH and DDA1 has gained 1/2 an inch and is now 11.5 inches tall. DDA2 is holding steady at 9 inches.

DDA1:

Photo 1 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 2 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 5 - DDA1.jpeg

DDA2:

Photo 6 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 7 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 8 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 9 - DDA2.jpeg
Gorgeous pics

I haven't posted an update in a few days so I figured I was overdue. But, first, I want to thank everyone who has been helping me with my first grow. It's a lot easier than I thought it would be although I do think it's still a little labour-intensive with fertigating every other day but it's not hard; it's just tedious.

I'm already thinking about my next grow so I guess I'm on my way to becoming hooked. However, I'm planning on growing in ProMix next grow. My main reason for learning how to grow was so that I could help my husband, Felonious but he grows in ProMix so that's what I'm going to grow in, too. I hope none of my Hempy Headquarters friends aren't upset by this. I'm not saying I'll never grow in hempy again. I just need to figure out why Felonious' indoor plants always end up not doing very well. The outdoor plants are doing well, though and he rarely has issues with them. I'm hoping growing in the same medium as him and having a grow journal will help both of us.

But, I won't be starting that grow until this one is done so without further ado, here is the update:

Remember that expensive Hanna pH meter we bought? Well, we had to return it on Tuesday because it wouldn't stop calibrating even with a new battery but the guy that works there gave us a Bluelab pH pen as a direct exchange and I believe they're supposed to be some of the best? So, I'm happy about that. I hope this one lasts. It's really frustrating when you can't pH your water. :(

On Thursday, June 25, Day 53, I stopped adding the Gro nutes and am now using the Week 9 Mid-Bloom Flora nutes, which is 2 ml of FloraMicro and 4 ml FloraBloom and according to the General Hydroponics Flora Series feed chart, I will feed them like this until Week 11 when the Micro decreases to 1.25 ml. Do you agree?

I fertigated yesterday, Day 57. DDA1 is 12.75" tall and DDA2 is 9.75" tall. The ph was 5.7 for DDA1 and DDA2. And, here are the photos. I personally don't think DDA1 looks very good. Mind you the photos were taken before watering so that may be why it's so droopy but it looks droopier than normal to me.

DDA1:

Photo 1 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 2 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 3 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 4 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 5 - DDA2.jpeg

I think this shot is beautiful:

Photo 6 - DDA2.jpeg

This is my favourite stage, the flowering. Felonious likes the seedling part best. :battingeyelashes:

And, here is a photo of our new pH meter. Hopefully, it's the last one for a while.

Photo 7 - Bluelab pH Meter.jpeg

And, that's the whole kit and kaboodle. Hope you liked it.

I have to say that DDA1 is not a happy-looking plant.

Should I do anything to fix her? Maybe a flush with straight water? I know I'm essentially flushing with the nuted water but Felonious wondered if maybe there was a lot of salt (silt?) build-up among the perlite?

Now that you’re moving to ProMix, you won’t be using a pH pen.

Don't abandon me yet, kind sir. :battingeyelashes: I still have a month to go??? (We're at Day 60 tomorrow.)
You should enter that photo! :drool: :thumb:

I was thinking the same thing. It is good, right? Good enough to enter?

IMHO you traded up on the pH pen :thumb:

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, too. Glad you confirm it.

what type of nutes will you be using when you switch to promix?

I don't know yet. I will have lots of the Flora Series nutes left so I'm hoping to use that. Can I use the Flora Series in dirt?

I think you can use the Flora series with pro mix but that is just base nutrients you will probably need some additives or at least a pk booster for flowering. I would recommend mega crop it works well with promix.

I was looking at Mega Crop first because it got so many positive reviews here on 420 but I could only buy a 100 litre bag and I'm pretty sure that would last the lifetime of someone much younger than I am. :laughtwo:

If you know where I can source a smaller amount, I would be most grateful. :Namaste:

Don't abandon me yet, kind sir.

Oh, I would never! :thedoubletake:

It’s just that you won’t have to worry about pH with ProMix, or any other buffered mix, like Sunshine #4, and the like. Ask Shed (or look into his sig).

No one will abandon you here Hash Girl :kiss:

Felipe helps me out all the time and we grow in pretty different systems (FP-passive hydro and me living soil). We still have plenty to share.

And in fact - when it comes a to nutrient and nutrient balance the ProMix and the Hempy can be pretty much treated the same.

Only difference is that in the ProMix, like soil, there’s no PHing necessary and you don’t have to water all the time.

But the nutes are the same. You can use what you have

FP is right tho- mega crop seems a great method with promix - when you finish up what you have now, and if you can get it!

No one will abandon you here Hash Girl :kiss:

Felipe helps me out all the time and we grow in pretty different systems (FP-passive hydro and me living soil). We still have plenty to share.

And in fact - when it comes a to nutrient and nutrient balance the ProMix and the Hempy can be pretty much treated the same.

Only difference is that in the ProMix, like soil, there’s no PHing necessary and you don’t have to water all the time.

But the nutes are the same. You can use what you have

FP is right tho- mega crop seems a great method with promix - when you finish up what you have now, and if you can get it!

Felonious uses ProMix and phs the water. If you are still adding nutes to water and fertigating them, why wouldn't you pH the water? There is still a pH range that is best for absorbing the nutrients efficiently.

Firstly, :passitleft:

Now, did you read the thread in Shed’s signature? Let me or him know if you have any questions.

Many growers are using MegaCrop these days, which contains amino acid-chelated micronutrients, instead of the usual EDTA and the like type of chelation. This imparts the fertilizer with the ability to provide these nutrients over a wider pH range, which coincides with the pH that a buffered mix like ProMix maintains.

Additionally, soil is a natural PH buffer so, if you have a good soil mix and a good water source, you really don't need to PH adjust. That being said, optimum PH for cannabis in soil is 6.3-6.8

Personally, I don’t have that much problem with pH anymore. I mix in larger volumes, use a cheap homemade “pH Down” (diluted battery acid from the auto parts store), and accept a pretty wide range (5.5 to 6.2), so it’s just part of the zen of nutrient mixing for me.

I contemplated going the ProMix route, but I can grow the same plant in a 2 gallon hempy as a 10 gallon ProMix, and carrying 2 gallons of perlite around is a lot easier!

So what the good folks there are saying HG is that in soil, or soilless like ProMix, the medium is PH buffered so PH-ing your inputs is unecessary. You can still do it if you want. You just don’t need to as the soil manages the PH.

I’s not just particular to MegaCrop. This goes for any nutes in a buffered medium. And yes you can use any brand of nutrient line in promix.
:thumb:

Felonious has had high 4s, low 5s pH run-off after watering his plants with 6 to 6.5 pHed nuted water.

Back
Top Bottom