Seraphim's Tangilope - Coco Smart-Hempy - LED Grow 2014

You are too kind Catman12... Thank you!

Indeed nature is the real artist here, I do just try my best to stay out of her way and provide the things I think are needed with my limited human understanding.

The benefits of this activity reveal themselves all along the way. By the time you reach harvest, which is indeed a glorious time, you have already received many blessings along the way. Every time I open this tent in the morning I am greeted with the most amazing aroma that puts an instant and involuntary smile on my face and my soul. I cannot rave about this smell enough. Guys, really, this aroma is something else. And that is just one of the little benefits of doing this. Looking at her for extended periods and getting lost in that smell on purpose... these are not things one thinks of when one starts doing this, they are the things you discover along the way.

:Namaste:

Re: Seraphim’s Tangilope - Coco Smart-Hempy - LED Grow 2014

It looks like your smart Hempy is working like a champ. Are there any changes you'd make if you were starting from scratch again? I just started looking into hempys and your setup is pretty damn interesting. Just out of curiosity, why the move from hydro toward soil?

Good job man! Subbed!

It looks like your smart Hempy is working like a champ. Are there any changes you'd make if you were starting from scratch again? I just started looking into hempys and your setup is pretty damn interesting. Just out of curiosity, why the move from hydro toward soil?

Good job man! Subbed!

Thank you iluvsnow!

The Smart-Hempy is kicking green ass. Therefore, as far as the smart-hempy goes, I would not change a thing.

As for the other question, I am originally a soil guy so I am just going back to my origin. The real question then becomes why the original move from soil to hydro.. and the answer is novelty. I was curious and intrigued by it so I wanted to try it. Tried regular hempy and after one (pretty good) run I made mods and now I’m running the smart-hempy, again curiosity driven to see “what if…” What I found was a simple and very good yielding method. Coco-hempy (smart or not) rocks!

However, the best tasting and all around highest quality bud I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying, was still grown in good old mother Earth and I am now once again driven to reach the highest level of quality I can reach. I found Doc Bud’s High Brix growing method, I read the particulars about that method and in my mind it clicks as the way to go if one wants the best quality produce.

So I am going back to soil but yet I am still exploring because this time ….. let me back up a little. There are a lot of ways to grow in soil. As an amateur, what I did in the past is what could be referred to as “half and half”, meaning half soil and half chemical as I was using FFOF but feeding with chemical nutes. And that worked out nicely. Later did the coco-hempy which is passive-hydro and 100% chemical. My yields broke my own records which I was looking forward to and its very good bud that keeps me from having to pay ridiculous prices at the retail dispensary and is much smoother than their bud while getting you just as high. So what’s next?

I remember times in my past when I’ve had 2 or 3 stashes of bud for my head and one of those was very, very special. Not that the others were bad, but this one was just so much better. I think most of us here can relate to that to some degree. Well, I want to concentrate on that one amazing bud. I want to explore the luxury of throwing out the window any concern for yield and focusing only on quality. That is what is next.

Right now I have a lady veging and when she’d flipped she will go into super-soil as was planned but when she’s done I am going High Brix with Doc Bud’s kit.

Even then I see more experiments in my future because they are so much fun! But for now let’s see where this road leads.

Really like that break down Seraphim. Someday in the future I would also like to be an experimenter, a "let's see what happens" grower. Of course I defer to your weed-connoisseur knowledge, as I have none [I never knew where my weed ultimately came from]

Stoked to hopefully follow your High Brix grow :peace:

Kicking green ass indeed! I like your style, Seraphim. Kudos for flexing those creative muscles on this one. I'm at the stage now where pretty much everything is novel, but once I get some grows under my belt I'll definitely do some experimenting myself. It's just my nature, I guess. I've started out in DWC, but had I known the res heat issues I was going to face during summer's final moments I may have started out in hempys if I had known more about them. It finally cooled off (may even get some snow, w00t) so I've managed to kick that problem down the road for a bit. I have some tentative plans for some additional indoor growing as wells as some greenhouse aquaponics if everything goes as planned. My next topic of research will be the high brix method you mentioned--I know exactly nothing about it.

I'm really curious about soil, especially outdoors. Logistically hydro works better for me now, but I'd really like a side-by-side comparison of hydro vs. a good soil grow. My money is on the soil. I'm totally with you on the quality over quantity mentality, but right now I gotta get a least a little more quantity for me and the missus before I can get any other things rolling. You are in an enviable position.

I don't even have one harvest behind me but I'm afraid I'm already hopelessly sucked into this growing thing. I'm not gonna fight it.

Seraphim, great job again, and thanks for the knowledge. Have a good one, guys and gals!

Connoisseur is a title well beyond my pay-grade but I myself call everyone "Doctor" when I say hello. Puts a smile on their face. :)

I know it sounds cliche, but those mistakes teach us more than our successes.

Thanks guys! Happy Growing!

Thanks DGG!!

Man the more I look at it, the more I am loving the idea of trying the smart hempy. I'm still a couple of weeks away from starting my first grow and I'm getting so excited. At first I was going to do the normal hempy buckets in 3.5 gallon buckets, but I like the idea of your smart style. Sounds good in theory and your plant is looking beautiful and growing like a champ.

Thanks Buster! At the end of this grow we will see if the smart hempy can hold its own... so far so good! :)

It's all fun and games until a leaf starts showing signs of trouble.

Tangilope started displaying some spots on her younger leaves a few days ago. So far I have only seen this in the middle leaves coming out of the middle of the buds. Not the youngest ones and not the oldest ones either, just the ones coming from the middle of the buds. Here is what they look like...

IMG_28767.JPG

IMG_28818.JPG

My RH is quite low (25% to 35% average) so I doubt it would be some type of mold. My thought is that something is being locked out by PH. But I have a PH Pen! That shouldn't happen. Here is what I think happened. I can be very accurate with my PH pen and the water she's getting (both with and without food) has been always been PH'd to between 5.8 and 6.0 which is what I read was optimum for Coco. However, coco is hydro, and some nutrients need a lower PH in hydro to be absorbed. So my diagnosis on this one is "An immobile element is being locked out by PH not fluctuating enough" My solution, today's water reached below 5.5PH to provide more of a range.

I also did something unorthodox but that I think should help. I cracked open Doc Buds kit and prepared some De-Stress foliar spray and gave her a spray of that this morning. I know that spray has a range of trace elements and should, in my theory, help. But if it doesn't it's my responsibility for using it well outside of its directed use.

These spots are in a minority of the leaves at this time but I want to get in front of this before it gets a chance to move too far forward.

Otherwise, all good. She still looks great all around and the aroma still floors me. Soooo sweet!! I can't wait to taste the cured product!

IMG_28835.JPG

IMG_28855.JPG

IMG_28864.JPG

IMG_28873.JPG

IMG_28884.JPG

IMG_28897.JPG

Thanks for stopping by!

I hope somewhere here can chime in to help. Good thinking on the coco/soil ph thinking. And I would think that Doc's spray wouldn't hurt them either. It does look weird though, with all that frost on the brown spots, kinda funny looking.

Because of your journal, and especially your description of the smell, I entered Herbies contest and picked the Tangielope strain!

If you were to walk by where the tent is and happen to hear me saying "OOOH MY GOOODD!!!!! OOOHH MY GOOOODDDD!!" in a caveman-like voice... its not what you think! In fact, it is most likely my reaction to repeatedly smelling those buds. they make me crazy!!!! smell so intensely awesome and sweet. I just cant stop!!!

If you were to walk by where the tent is and happen to hear me saying "OOOH MY GOOODD!!!!! OOOHH MY GOOOODDDD!!" in a caveman-like voice... its not what you think! In fact, it is most likely my reaction to repeatedly smelling those buds. they make me crazy!!!! smell so intensely awesome and sweet. I just cant stop!!!

Tangielope smell=:loopy:

Man I hope I win me some seeds!

It’s all fun and games until a leaf starts showing signs of trouble.

Tangilope started displaying some spots on her younger leaves a few days ago. So far I have only seen this in the middle leaves coming out of the middle of the buds. Not the youngest ones and not the oldest ones either, just the ones coming from the middle of the buds. Here is what they look like…

IMG_28767.JPG

IMG_28818.JPG

My RH is quite low (25% to 35% average) so I doubt it would be some type of mold. My thought is that something is being locked out by PH. But I have a PH Pen! That shouldn’t happen. Here is what I think happened. I can be very accurate with my PH pen and the water she’s getting (both with and without food) has been always been PH'd to between 5.8 and 6.0 which is what I read was optimum for Coco. However, coco is hydro, and some nutrients need a lower PH in hydro to be absorbed. So my diagnosis on this one is “An immobile element is being locked out by PH not fluctuating enough” My solution, today's water reached below 5.5PH to provide more of a range.

I also did something unorthodox but that I think should help. I cracked open Doc Buds kit and prepared some De-Stress foliar spray and gave her a spray of that this morning. I know that spray has a range of trace elements and should, in my theory, help. But if it doesn’t it’s my responsibility for using it well outside of its directed use.

These spots are in a minority of the leaves at this time but I want to get in front of this before it gets a chance to move too far forward.

Otherwise, all good. She still looks great all around and the aroma still floors me. Soooo sweet!! I can’t wait to taste the cured product!

IMG_28835.JPG

IMG_28855.JPG

IMG_28864.JPG

IMG_28873.JPG

IMG_28884.JPG

IMG_28897.JPG

Thanks for stopping by!

Hey bud, so my diagnosis is the plant is getting mature. The lack of nitrogen is causing the leaves to die. Completely normal for this late in the game. 5.5 is a little low this late, she's not going to be able to take in the sugars and good stuff with it that low. You always want to start low with the pH and work your way up... e.g 5.8, 6.0-6.1, 6.5 is what I normally do in coco.

She looks amazing man. Wish I could smoke a bowl with you :)

Thanks for the input man. I may be guilty of "over-diagnosing-non-existent-issues". I'd be very happy with that being the case.

No worries man... I did the same before I realized, all of the leaves can be fried and the buds will still grow perfectly lol I have 4 fried plants in my room right now actually, and the buds are the same size as the super healthy ones. Ain't that some shit? lol

Don't stress bro and make sure to raise that pH back up, get em' frosty as can be!

Back
Top Bottom