Seraphim's Coco-Hempy Bubba-Cheese & Blue Widow LED Grow Journal 2014

re: Seraphim's Coco-Hempy Bubba-Cheese & Blue Widow LED Grow Journal 2014

Another thing that I find very intriguing about this entire process is the change in the plant's scent from when they are alive and flowering, through the cut, the dry, and then the cure. Each of those stages has its own aroma. I've grown plants that smelled like crappy cut grass when first cut down and went on to become a delightful bouquet once cured.

Ms Devil had a pine/mint almost menthol like scent in her last days. While drying, this fabulous new pale raspberry aroma surfaced and took over. I wonder how it will evolve through the cure. Finally, none of this speaks to the taste which some times can mimic the aroma but many times is also completely different.

Excellent observations, Seraphim. I catch myself smiling and nodding when reading your comments on the changing fragrance throughout the grow. I'm only on grow/strain number two but I've found I really enjoy discovering the innate beauty of each strain and phenotype within.

Way to stop and smell the flowers!

/Obi Wan
:peace:

Thank you Master Obi!

The cured flowers we do all this work for are certainly not the only reward to be found in this amazing pass time. It is those little things like the plethora of wonderful aromas (which are only available to those who grow their own) that make this such a wonderful hobby.

Good morning everyone! Here are a few bud shots of what Blue Widow looks like today on her 51st day of flowering.

IMG_242711.JPG

IMG_243010.JPG

IMG_242911.JPG

IMG_24289.JPG

May everyone have a peaceful day full of gooey green happy nugs. :Namaste:

Good morning everyone! Here are a few bud shots of what Blue Widow looks like today on her 51st day of flowering.
:Namaste:

Beautiful

Thank you Colesdad.

Yes, she is a beauty and has been a magnificent plant to grow. Forgiving my overfeeding and adapting early on to training. I am very happy with the structure of this plant. She is sturdy, vibrant and resilient. Prolific bud sites and even some of the buds which I thought would not amount to much have grown into respectable nuggets that I look forward to enjoying and sharing. As for me, it is difficult to decide which gives me more pleasure, smoking the bud I grew myself or sharing it with a friend and seeing a smile on their face. And its a freaking darn shame that I can't share this with you guys.

very nice blue widow flower you have there. never had blue widow, but ive had berry white. which could be the washington version of blue widow.. (blueberry x white widow) And the genetics from that plant was amazing! wish i could at least find a clone of her.

I&i

Thank you Gfcollective.

I purchased this one as a clone at my local dispensary. If you ever make it out to Colorado, its here over the counter.

what website do u guys use out there to look up strains? most popular here in leafly.

according to that blue widow and berry white are the same plant (obviously not same genetics) so i believe ive smoked a version of what you have there. ours had more of a blueberry taste then a pine/earthy taste. was a great creeper

I&i

same here, leafly. I also like to use strainfinder but its a little dated.

This is my first round with this strain. I wish I could describe the warm, fuzzy and just glorious aroma, but its really impossible. If only I could package that smell....

label it canabar for men haha.. the day when we can pick what strain we want to smell like will be glorious

I&i

Good evening friends of 420MAG,

Both Blue Widow and Bubba-Cheese are on high alert trichome watch at this point. Blue Widow looks straight up gnarly, especially when the natural lights are on. Of course I will post pictures sometime this weekend but pictures do not do it justice. You have to see this in person to really appreciate it. (Just the same for all of our grows no doubt)

There are small traces of amber trichs on blue widow but not many and mostly cloudy and nothing but cloudy to be seen on Bubba-Cheese also with a trace of ambers which you have to look for. The flush continues for both of them. 9 weeks is Blue Widows target and we are just about to enter that ninth week. And from the looks of things, she looks like she will be on time or close. I am hoping that they both start getting to the right point soon or at least not too long into this flush and then they can be harvested as soon as they look ready.

>>>>> ooooo<<<<<​

In the meantime, a fresh seed was dropped into a humble small container hardly the size of a cup holding a small amount of real Mother Earth. A new baby has broken ground and now there is a new seedling in town. Due to her genetics and the media she will flower in, she is poised to yield the best tasting nugs I have ever grown to date. The sum of everything I have learned. She will grow in FFOF and flower in TGA Subcool’s SuperSoil; 100% organic and composted for 90+ days. She will also break in a new, high end LED lamp which I broke down and pulled the trigger on and she will have this ridiculously high PAR lamp all to herself. Keep an eye out for that journal in the near future.

May the rest of your weekend be long, safe and full of green goodness.

Greetings from Mile High!

Update: The White Widow heritage is clearly shining through in this Blue Widow with all the ridiculous frost going on. Here are some pictures of what things look like as of late. Some of that Blue Widow trademark late flowering purpling of the leaves can be seen in normal light. A thorough trichome check takes place every evening upon lights out.

IMG_247716.JPG

IMG_248013.JPG

IMG_248813.JPG

IMG_248911.JPG

IMG_249314.JPG

IMG_249814.JPG

IMG_250617.JPG

IMG_250713.JPG

IMG_251014.JPG

IMG_251317.JPG

IMG_251512.JPG

IMG_251613.JPG

Thanks brother!

Thank you sir!

Today's trichome screening revealed 4 out of 4 leaf tips nipped from Blue Widow's top buds showing an amber presence. This prompted a more detailed look.

Lights were turned off and inspection revealed that buds do not have as much amber as those tips. There were a few ambers, isolated singles or small amounts. But most everywhere I looked all I found were cloudies; same for Bubba-Cheese. I would say another couple of weeks at most but another week at least. Either way, we are getting close to that time and that is exciting!

I do have, I must confess, another couple of very small lower buds that somehow were accidintentionally and very lovingly cut off Blue Widow's lower skirt area, drying. The last bit I took was so freaking good even with no cure! I can't wait to taste this when it is properly cured. My canna-taste buds are watering in anticipation!

Waiting for the right time to harvest in the presence of amber trichomes drives me a little nuts. Specially when most of that I see is cloudy because I start thinking that all of these cloudy trichs will change to amber at the same time and I will miss my window. Not likely in reality with the constant checking. I also have to keep reminding myself that the ambers have to be on the actual buds to count, not on the small leaf tips found around the bud. Ambers are quicker to be found on these leaf tips than on the actual buds themselves which is where you want to find them. For example: I am going for 10-15% Amber, mostly cloudy and some clears left. That ratio being on the bud itself, not leaf matter. And I usually end up over-flushing if anything which results in a very smooth smoke. ....How do you determine harvest time?

Back
Top Bottom