Jj's VanillaKush Outdoor Hempy Scrog Journal 2014

Jjlow

Vannila Kush
Indica
Veg from clone
I've had a few successful soil grows, wanted to try the hydro route, Just for the hell of it. After about a thousand hours of reading on the subject, I decided on the hempy/lucas formula. Seems easy enough.

The first month I would just take them out during the day, bring them in at night under a couple CFL's. This would keep them from flowering early on me.

Started them off in smaller buckets, around a gallon or so, hempy, 100% coco, perlite in the bottom 2"
These are around a month or so from clone. Topped once
image11789.jpg

Gonna keep it simple with nutes. Lucas formula, GH MAXIBLOOM. MOAB, RO H20, ph as needed. DTW(as most hempys are) I live just a few blocks from the pacific, so I will be supplementing/adding some home brew fresh kelp and poo teas.

Made this scrog set up out of stuff that was being thrown out from a home remodel. Pallet, pvc, stucco wire. Put some casters on the bottom.
image11787.jpg

Trying to keep a low profile on the porch, done LST with previous grows, wanted to try something different.

Repotted in 3.5 gallon hempy, big chunk perlite bottom 2" 100%coco rest of the way
image11790.jpg

Dropped the screen on em..veg day 50
image11791.jpg

Now this is gonna be tricky. Can't really bring em in at night anymore, too big, and the wife probably wouldn't go for this big ass thing in the living room. Don't want them to flower quite yet, would like to fill in the screen a little more. Lighting up the whole back porch with the CFL's is not a option either... Sooooo I decided to fire up the Xmas lights and sling em on top. Hopefully that will keeper from flowering on me.. Haha
image11792.jpg

I actually had them set to twinkle for a while. Made me crave some egg-nog....
Anyways, this is my first journal, any tips or advice would be welcomed. Will post more soon!!!

Beautiful plants, don't often see outdoor ScrOGs! Should be look, they've done very well so far.

Interesting idea with the Christmas lights. Not sure they'll generate enough light to stop flowering!

DO.

Day 55.
image11793.jpg

These things really took off, looked like the Xmas lights worked. They filled the screen up quickly so I induced flowering on 6/23.
In socal we were getting around 14 1/2 hrs of daylight. I started covering them with a light proof Polly cover at 7p Every night, uncovering 7am next morning. This should also keep the moths from shitting those damn little caterpillars out at night and keep that nightly dew off them. I put a small fan inside to circulate the air around a little.
image11833.jpg

The small fan moves the air around inside.
Trying to keep it completely dark. JJ.

We have an abundance of fresh seaweed/kelp here in socal. Organic kelp additives are kinda pricy at the local grow shop. So after some reasearch on diy kelp fertilizers thought I would give it a go.
Bucket of fresh kelp rinsed.
image12044.jpg

Thrown in the vitamix and added just enough RO H20 to make it blend. (I did this while the wife was at work hehe)
image12045.jpg

Let it sit out in open air stirring it daily for about a month till the nasty smell went away. Then jarring it and burped every few days.
image12046.jpg

So here's how I've been using it.
Adding about a 1/4 cup to my homemade worm tea weekly.
Diluting down and used as foliar feed weekly.
Any suggestions on how to use in my feeding schedule along with the lucas formula? 100% coco hempy buckets watering/feed every other day. Would there be any point? I've read a lot about how kelp is a great organic fertilizer. I was thinking about diluting down a couple tablespoons per gallon every third or fourth day. Or possibly just adding it straight to the lucas formula?

Thought I would post this from a few weeks back .

Doing some routine scrog maintenance I noticed something sticking out from the coco.
image12708.jpg

Oh look, a zip lock bag full of old phone chargers..
image12709.jpg

No doubt who did this. Guilty as charged. Eyes blacked out to hide his identity.. Haha!
image12712.jpg

Flower week 7
image12756.jpg

Not sure if you can tell in this photo, starting to get some little fox tails growing out of the top. Not sure if this is specific to the strain?
Also, starting to get some brown tips on the leaves. Any thoughts?
image12757.jpg
image12758.jpg

I'm guessing another 2-3 weeks till harvest?
Thanks for looking.. JJ

I'm always fighting those damn little caterpillars the last 2-3 weeks of flower on my outdoor grows. Spending hours picking through the buds. The BT spray works great early on, but I really hate using it during flower. They say it's safe till harvest but I'm still skeptical. So this time around I've built this little mini greenhouse. Used mosquito netting on the bottom and some 1 mil clear plastic on the top. Creating a mini greenhouse. Added a fan to keep air circulating. So far so good, few weeks to go and no sign of those little fuckers yet..
image12901.jpg
image12760.jpg

Clipped it under the screen. I usually Hang the buds to dry in the laundry room. Only problem, we are having some high temps and don't want them to dry too quickly. The nighttime RH here at the coast is running in the 70-80 range.
image13522.jpg

Made a makeshift sealed room out of some foam insulation, ran a hose over from the window unit with a temp controlled shutoff switch in the box. put in a 30 pint de-humidifier(overkill I know). Had it running most the day. Keeping temps around 70f RH in the low 60's
image13520.jpg
image13519.jpg

Back
Top Bottom