WW Autos Super Hempy - LED - HPS - Miracle Grow Experiment

it looks like you can lower your 600 watt cooltube reflector. place your hand underneath the light bulb and move your hand to the point you can not feel any heat from the light bulb and position the light above your plants at that level, raise the light as your plants grow.

here are a few charts that may help you position your light.

Metal_Halide_chart.jpg

HPS_chart.jpg

grow-room-light-distances.jpg

HPSGraphPAR.jpg

All these plants should be finished by mid October.

Plants are doing good. Here is an update. First about the outdoors DWC. Remember, the inside dwc used to be outside until it started flowering, and I noticed outdoor needs way more money to work.

Anyway, I managed to fix both plants. The dwc that is now flowering under a 600w Apollo new bulb is healthy again. No more yellowing. Leaves nice and green.

How I fixed it.

Lowered water levels to just below the root mass inside the 8 inch net pot, which was originally in a plastic Dixie cup, with coco and perlite. If the water levels go high enough to submerge part of the net pot the coco part of the root mass is in, then it drowns it, which can look very much like nutrient issues. It causes them.

the other thing that fixed it was the consistent water temps the res has indoors in a controlled environment. I have AC running all the time. Room stays 75 pretty consistently. Water stays around 72 degrees F.

I also ran her in just ph water for 2 days to correct any build up of salts. Now I just put a little drip clean in the res once in a while to help with salt build up on roots. Her roots have grown back. They are healthy.

Here is a picture of her, upskirt and from above.

sep14-upskirt-indoor.jpg

Now here she is from above.

sep13-dwc-indoors.jpg

Here is a bud.

sep14-indoorbud.jpg

Next up is the outdoor dwc. She is drinking water again, but is still yellowing some. I gave her the same treatment, however, her temps go up and down because she is outside. I think that is the main issue. So if I do a dwc outside next year, I will do it in a large ice cooler, white. I will put foam material over the hydroton and around the stock, so bugs cannot get in the res. I will use a chiller.

But, I am going to eventually do dwc that way period, even indoor. Ice coolers will keep the water cool enough in a 75-80 degree room.

Another thing I did to fix them was to make the res pure ph water, 5.5 -6.2 and 1ml of bleach per gallon of water. I let her bubble in that for 2 days. Then I changed back to nutes at 600ppm. I now have them at 700.

I just emptied the outdoor dwc and put miracle grow tomato food, two scoops, and one scoop of miracle grow flowering. I added some cal mag, about 80ppm. I added drip clean and bleach. I will see how she reponds to the miracle grow. I only plant to run it for a few days to a week, to green her up. Besides, she is just an experiment.

BTW, I feed my coco-perlite plants miracle grow tomato food plus cal-mag when ever they start looking lighter green. I suppose I could just try to feed them at that point with like 800-900 flora nova instead of 500-600. I feed with ph water 6.0 in perlite coco. I see no significant difference with the ones I added like 20 percent bark mulch to the coco -perlite.

sep14-dwc-outside.jpg

Here is one of her buds. Nice and frosty.

sep14-dwc-out-bud.jpg

And now for the coco-perlite plants

sep14-outdoor-cak2.jpg

They are putting on girth. They are only in direct light before they house shades them from morning to about 3:30pm

sep-14-outside-cak.jpg

I am hoping to get a half pound per plant. One thing I did learn is the longer to veg them in a big pot, the bigger the plants will be. Period. More light, more roots, bigger plants. You must let the roots fill a big pot in veg, though, before you flower. My friend growing in a green house, vegged his plants in 100 gallon cloth pots. They got huge because they filled up those pots while vegging. Some are over 8 feet tall. Huge football nugs already.

My pots are only 18 gallons. I did make sure they filled those pots with roots while in veg. However, they are not filled to the top, so they don't have 18 gallons of coco-perlite in them. Oh, my friend grows with Canadian peat moss and the white pumus, which looks like perlite. He does all organic additives to that. bone meals and such.

I have one plant is only a 10 gallon pot, and she is much smaller than the ones in 18 gallons. The ones in 18 gallon totes that are filled more toward the top, are also bigger. I am confident if I grow in 30-50 gallon pots, my plants will get much huger, so long as I make sure they fill those pots with roots while in veg.

BIG NUGS big plants = get big root system in a big pot while in veg, then flip to flower. Nutes you use don't matter that much. coco or peat moss doesn't make much difference. Big root system in veg. Period. Get as much light to the buds with training.

sep14-outdoor-soil-bud.jpg

That is the top of one of the outdoor perlite coco buds.

Fed clones with vf11

Fed auto mazar 1 with vf11, in 10 gallon pot now, 50/50 coco + perlite -- coco was treated with ph water 5.9 plus 100ppm of cal mag, ro maybe 150. Somewhere around there.

Fed Auto Mazar Organic with just ph 6.0 water. She is in 50/50 coco + perlite as well. However, I added 2 oz of organic fish meal 8-6-0 and oranic kelp meal 1. .1, 2. This is a low K, however, I also added these organic slow release pellets, 1oz per gallon, but I cut that in half. I forgot what they are, but something like 5-7-9 or something. They have amino acids, micro fungai, etc also. I saw how well my local green house supply tomatoes where doing on this organic stuff, so I had to try it on one of the autos.

WW auto is in DWC, cal mag about 50-100ppm and vf-11. Total ppm about 440

Great White Shark is in 5 gal dwc, same feeding as ww auto. Both have two air stones on an eco 2. They seem to work well. I drill holes on each side of the net lid to place the air hoses in, this way there is a stone on each side. Once I transplant the great white into flower, 18 gal or bigger res, I will add two more stones.

Big flowering indoor critical x ak47 is doing well in her 18 gal dwc, two stones. I think I will add two more, though.

OUTDOOR

Added the organic time release pellets to the 10 gal critical x ak47. Going to see how well she does vs the other 10 gal fed with flora nova. All the other outdoor are fed with flora nova at about 600ppm to 700, and once in a while with about 600-700ppm of miracle grow tomato food, when they start to look light green or yelling leaves. This brings them back to dark green within a week usually. Sometimes two applications are needed of miracle grow.

I always feed with water inbetween feedings, unless it is vf11 for clones. I usually feed them with vf11 every time at 300-400ppm. About every 3 to 5 feedings I will feed with just ph water.

The outdoor dwc experiment is surviving. I added miracle grow 700ppm plus some cal mag to the res instead of GH micro bloom I usually do, which is what is in the upstairs indoor one.

EXPERIMENTS

OUTDOOR

half the coco+perlite plants Critical x sk47 had about 20-30 percent bark mulch added to the coco perlite to see if it made a difference. So far, I don't notice much difference. They buds to seem to be a bit thicker.

No negative effects from the bark mulch so far. I think it is worth using. I will have to see if the buds continue to be thicker, more dense, etc.

DWC critical x ak47. Failure. She is surviving though and putting on mad snow. I do believe outdoor dwc is possible, but you will need to make a res out of a large cooler, the $50 kind. Cut a hole in the lid so the 8 inch net pot can fit in. Build a shader for it. Spray paint it white if you can't find a white cooler. Then use a chiller to keep the water at a more consistent temp.

Mine ended up getting root rot, I think from the big changes in res temps, 65 at night to 77 in the hot days. I might have been able to prevent that if I had used more h202 or more bleach. I have switched to bleach. Been using it now for, what three weeks? Works great. I see no reason to go back tot he expensive h202, as all commercial growers use bleach in hydro anyway.

INDOOR EXPERIMENTS

New experiment.

1. Growing the WW auto in pure dwc this time. Remember, last time I grew one in hempy and one in half hempy half dwc. The half hemp dwc produced 3 oz off the WW auto. This is the same strain, same company. I bought the seeds all at the same time. This is the last seed of the ww auto I have left.

2. Organic vs Flora Nova/ vf-11-- Auto Mazar. Same strain, same seed company. Seeds bought at the same time.

Both in 10 gal plastic pots, black. Pictures coming soon. Both in 50/50 coco perlite.

Organic auto is only fed with 6.0 ph water, and sometimes just water. I use well water at 130-150ppm. That is the water I have. Not going to get a RO machine or buy water. In her coco perlite, she has 2oz of each, fish meal and kelp meal. 8-6-0 and 1, .1. 2. Also, I added half oz per gallon of medium of these time release organic pellets. I think the brand is called B1. They have amino acids, microzea, etc also. I think they have trace minerals.

The other Auto Mazar is fed with vf-11 and cal mag until it shows signs of needing heavier Flora Nova. I will probably stick with vf-11 until she is a decent size. That is what I usually do. vf-11 plus 100ppm of cal mag does great for clones and seedlings, even in dwc. In fact. vf-11 plus cal mag does great even in dwc all the way up until the plant has a huge root system, then it starts to turn lighter green. This is when the plant is huge, though. I imagine if I upped the ppm to 800 or higher, it would do well.

I am feeding auto Mazar no organic with about 300-400ppm right now.

good post LED..i started a DWC in a gal pot..plant and roots...which were pure white..look better than my 5 gal DWC..i think it was less water=more oxygen...anyway when i went to 5 gal..i started having high temps..had to put them in pots...i need a chiller...i got a coil of copper..just got side tracked..really don't like growing in water..too much work...

Miwa was the five gallon inside? If out side it needs a cooling system.
If inside, if u use a cooler like the thick white ones for camping, drill a hole in
The lid that will keep it cooler.

Also build a shader. Take a big piece of cardboard
Slice it down the center. Cut a small hole in the center the line connects to.

That goes around the stock. This way u can
Take it off and on easily.

Keep room temp at 75 with air conditioner or build a cheep
Chiller with plastic or copper tubing the tall igloo cooler

Drill holes put in tight fitings or hose that will attach to pump in res

Fill the igloo with ice.

They work good. U fill with I've every few days. Be sure to keep the chiller in
Shade. If u need to paint cardboard white and set it on top

Watered clones with 560ppm of a little calmag and vf-11.

One clone is being watered with just water because as a test, I put the organic slow release pellets in her. I like this idea of just watering with water for two months. That is about how long they last. Anywhere from 1-2 months.

I put two of the outdoor plants upstairs under a 600w hps. They were the 10 gallon ones.

The other 4, I put in a makeshift green house 10x10, built of 3/4 inch pvc pipe, 1 mil painters plastic, duct tape and stakes. The painters plastic works well. I checked the sun with my lux meter inside and out, and it only takes off about 10% at most. Awesome. I will show pics soon.

I basically built a square cube with the pvc pipe, then duct taped the plastic to it. Then I used a long pole built of pvc pipe to prop up the middle, sort of like a circus tent. I used duct tape where the pole hits the plastic, otherwise the plastic would rip.

I had to build this green house because it will be raining for a few days, so it keeps the budz dry, and helps me control the humidity. I have two fans inside. So far, the greenhouse is holding up against rain and wind.

Idealy, you would want to build the frame out of wood.

I might have stunted WW auto by keeping her in the Dixie cup for too long. The mazars seem to be taking off in the 10 gallons, though. I realize, now, that autos probably only need 5 to 7 gallons max for a pot. They grow to fast to really take advantage of a 10 gallon, I think. Next set of autos will go right into final pots after seed sprouts.

If I do a dwc auto, I think I will grow the seed for a week or so in perlite, just to get roots, then put it in the hyrdoton netpot.

Day 40 of flower

9-24-cout.jpg

9-24-cout2.jpg

FED small clones with almost 700 ppm of cal mag plus miracle grow tomato. I brought my well water from 150 to 280 with cal mag, then added miracle grow to 670.

PVC pipe green house, not strong enough for strong winds. It twisted and broke apart. I don't think even the much thicker stuff will do because it is too flexible.

Instead, I built a 10x10 green house with 2x4 10 feet long. I cut 4 of them to 5x5, for the height of the greenhouse. I then used pvc to lift the center of the green house to be like a circus top, so rain can fall off the sides instead of build up.

A metal pipe of wood would work better for this center piece, so I think I will buy an 8 foot tall piece of 2x3.

I will get a pic of the quick-build green house up soon. Oh, I used 3.5 mil plastic this time. I still have to test that on a sunny day to see how much it diminishes the light.

White flies have infested my upstairs DWC. Good thing she doesn't have much time left. She is in day 40 of flower.

For now, I have been picking off infected leaves, as they lay their eggs on the underside, then grow, and fly off. They sap the leaf of nutrients, which is why they are a problem. I also think they like to try to get to the roots and perhaps eat them.

I tried neem oil plus dish soap spray one day. It seemed to really slow them down, so I think I will repeat the spraying every 5 days, for like 3 to 4 times.

I also set up sticky traps, the kind you unravel and they become hanging flat yellow things. I wrapped some around the lower branches, as they are bear because I lollipop.

Sorry to hear about pests and structure problems, mate. PVC ain't worth much from an engineering standpoint, other than for carrying water or protecting wires. That lumber should last ya, though. :) Can't wait to see the new 'house ya gave the gals. I had problems with pests late in my grow, but I found early pics that showed the white spots. Hit em with neem, and it worked, but someone told me that neem oil doesn't kill eggs, so a second, or even third treatment, a few days later, is necessary. Hope it works for you. For me, my sprayer broke, and I haven't replaced it, lol. Little devils came back with a vengeance. Kinda glad me grow's over, lol.

Here is the 10x10 green house I built with 2x4s, corner brackets, screws, and 3.5 mil plastic that is used to lay down on the carpet when you paint. It reduces sun light by only 25 percent and has stood against strong winds and rain.

Use wood for the center piece or metal, not pvc as it bends too much.

9-25-greenhouse.jpg

I put two of the largest plants upstairs as the humidity at night is too great in the green house even with fans and heater. Inside the humidity is good, and temps are steady.

They should finish fine under lights.

Starting October, I will be feeding them nothing but sugar or molasses.

Back
Top Bottom