HashGirl's First Indoor Grow: Dark Devil Autos In Hempy, 2020

It's Day 76 for my DDAs. They're holding steady with 12.75" for DDA1 and 9.75" for DDA2. Are they done growing taller? They've been at this height since Day 53.

They were both fertigated today with a pH of 6 for both of them.

They still don't look great, in my opinion but here they are for what it's worth:

DDA1:

Photo 1 - DDA1.jpeg

Sorry I cut off the head of that one. :battingeyelashes:

Photo 2 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 3 - DDA1.jpeg

DDA2:

Photo 4 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 5 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 6 - DDA2.JPG

So, today is Day 80 and Week 12 for the DDAs. They're holding steady at 9.75" and 12.75" and I'm wondering if they're going to get any taller and if there's something I should be doing to encourage them to get taller?

The Dark Devil info shows that they're supposed to be 31" to 51" tall and done after 8.5 weeks.

Dark_Devil_Info.jpg

...hehehe...don't believe everything you read...breeder reports are best case scenario's with a bit of promo thrown in...a lot of factors go into plant size, type of medium, environment, nutrients, etc. ...12 weeks does seem a lil' long...generally 10 weeks would be average I think...yours won't be getting any taller I'm afraid, and I don't think I've ever seen one 31" or more...keep an eye on the trichs...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:...

Hi hashgirl - breeder estimates for those sorts of things are just that really, estimates. They’re average expected grow and finish times and sizes - based on optimum growing conditions too – so there’s always gonna be some deviation.

Yours were maybe slow out of the gate so maybe that’s why they’ve stayed small. It happens. Reading about DDA I remember reading that there are definitely an amount of runty ones in amongst the genetics. DDA is one of the most varied auto flowering varieties so it really takes the “assorted box of chocolates“ metaphor to the extremes.

From the last pics of yours I’d say they must be looking close about now. How are the stigmas looking – the hairs that come out or white and eventually turn orange brown and shrivel back towards the buds? Are there any new white ones popping out still?

That’s kind of the first sign I look for – all the stigmas drying up and the amount of new ones slowing down and eventually stopping. Once that process looks close to finished I start checking the other things, like amber in trichomes and whether or not the smells are still changing ... and if it generally looks ripe.

...hehehe...don't believe everything you read...breeder reports are best case scenario's with a bit of promo thrown in...a lot of factors go into plant size, type of medium, environment, nutrients, etc. ...12 weeks does seem a lil' long...generally 10 weeks would be average I think...yours won't be getting any taller I'm afraid, and I don't think I've ever seen one 31" or more...keep an eye on the trichs...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:...

:thanks: hook.

Hi hashgirl - breeder estimates for those sorts of things are just that really, estimates. They’re average expected grow and finish times and sizes - based on optimum growing conditions too – so there’s always gonna be some deviation.

Yours were maybe slow out of the gate so maybe that’s why they’ve stayed small. It happens. Reading about DDA I remember reading that there are definitely an amount of runty ones in amongst the genetics. DDA is one of the most varied auto flowering varieties so it really takes the “assorted box of chocolates“ metaphor to the extremes.

From the last pics of yours I’d say they must be looking close about now. How are the stigmas looking – the hairs that come out or white and eventually turn orange brown and shrivel back towards the buds? Are there any new white ones popping out still?

That’s kind of the first sign I look for – all the stigmas drying up and the amount of new ones slowing down and eventually stopping. Once that process looks close to finished I start checking the other things, like amber in trichomes and whether or not the smells are still changing ... and if it generally looks ripe.

Thank you, Amy. This is helpful information. I will have a look at them when I next fertigate on Saturday and see what the stigmas are doing.

I ordered a 30x magnifying glass online and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow so I will check the trichomes as well.

It's Day 76 for my DDAs. They're holding steady with 12.75" for DDA1 and 9.75" for DDA2. Are they done growing taller? They've been at this height since Day 53.

They were both fertigated today with a pH of 6 for both of them.

They still don't look great, in my opinion but here they are for what it's worth:

DDA1:

Photo 1 - DDA1.jpeg

Sorry I cut off the head of that one. :battingeyelashes:

Photo 2 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 3 - DDA1.jpeg

DDA2:

Photo 4 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 5 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 6 - DDA2.JPG
For what it’s worth those look just like my DDAs, they were really good to smoke but obviously didn’t yield a ton.

:passitleft:

I hope you're talking about your Kryptonites because my Dark Devils smell musky and spicy nothing like cat pee at all. :laughtwo:

:welcome: back, Felipe. I missed you. :love:

And, thanks for the auto comparison photos. Sue says next grow they'll grow better because I'll have some experience under my belt. I don't know about that since I'll be growing in an entirely new way to me but we'll see.

I hope you're talking about your Kryptonites because my Dark Devils smell musky and spicy nothing like cat pee at all. :laughtwo:

:welcome: back, Felipe. I missed you. :love:

Si, the Kryps stink right now.

Gracias - I stopped getting notifications I guess.

Ready for more fun, I see. :hippy:

It's Day 86 for my two Dark Devils. Keeping in mind, Amy's advice about when they may be finishing, I think Dark Devil 2's stigmas seem to be turning orange/brown although, I don't think they're curling in yet. Could someone please let me know if it looks the same way to them?

Dark Devil 1 doesn't look ready yet to me. Again, if there are differing views, please let me know.

Without further ado, here are the photos:

DDA1:

Photo 1 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 2 - DDA1.jpeg

Photo 3 - DDA1.JPG

Photo 4 - DDA1.jpeg

DDA2:

Photo 5 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 6 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 7 - DDA2.jpeg

Photo 8 - DDA2.jpeg

Back