HeavyChevy59 - First Grow - Mars II 400W - Happy Frog/Ideal 420 Soil - 2015

What's up everybody, first I just wanted to say thanks for the help, I checked the ph of the run off water twice since my last update and both times all three plants looked pretty much on point with 6.5.

I don't have any hydro shops on my side of town and I haven't been able to get to one till today, I grabbed 1qt of General Organics CalMg+, it says to give 1teaspoon per gallon for a light feeding and 2 teaspoon per gallon for a heavy feeding. I was thinking I should start off with half a teaspoon I don't wanna give them too much too fast, also since the 420 soil is supposed to have everything a plant needs to take it from seed to harvest it should've had enough cal mg.

I was expecting too see some deficiencies from Scarlett and maybe MJ but I was sure Groot would've been fine, maybe I didn't give none of them enough of the 420 soil plus I'm growing under led lights which causes plants to use more cal.

I hope everything works out and im very interested in seeing how the soil works for you as ive heard some contradicting results. And yes LED need more cal-mag and in general more mutes.

hello @HeavyChevy59 nice looking plants I am also on my first grow we have a very similar setup subbed and watching :popcorn:

What's up db thanks for checking out my grow, hopefully you can learn from my mistakes. What's your setup if you don't mind me asking, I like checking out grows that are similar to mine and hopefully learn something new.

What's up everybody we're now in our 8th week of veg, I've been giving the plants 10ml per gallon of calmag. I've noticed that the lower leaves mostly looked like cal def but the upper leaves look like something else, I'll post pics later.

So because of this and the advice from arellanobrian I went ahead and transplanted the plants, they went from 3 gallon nursery pots to 3 gallon smart pots. Since I didn't fill the nursery pots up all the way and the dimensions for the smart pots are a little different I was able to add a lot more of the ideal 420 soil to the bottom, sides, and as a top dressing.

I also added 15ml of mykos to the transplant hole and gave it a lite misting of plain distilled water, after I filled the pots with new soil I watered the outside edge of the pot to hopefully get the roots to stretch out and search for water, plus I also watered them the day before transplant so I didn't want to over water them. So now I'm wondering if I should continue to add calmag when I water and if so should I give them a lite or heavy dose.

Here's the pics of of the leaves that are looking different from a cal def, first is Groot, Scarlett, and then MJ. I trimmed as much as I could trying to clip off anything dying but missed a lot cause I was in a hurry, I was wondering how long should I wait to trim some more after transplanting.

20150523_011131.jpg
20150523_011202.jpg
20150523_011214.jpg

Just based off the chart below I think it looks more like a zinc def or maybe early to mid stage potassium def but I would like everyone's opinion, this started before I gave them any calmag.

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies3119.jpg

A couple more pics after transplanting. MJ is in the back on the right with Groot next to her and Scarlett is in the front, all three are just a little under 2ft tall.

20150522_034338.jpg
20150522_174719.jpg

10ml per gallan of cal/mag seems pretty heavy,I only use around 1.5-2ml per gallon on mine using LED's.

I'm using general organics calmag+, the label says to give 1tsp for a light feeding and 2tsp for a heavy feeding. I've read that some people have had to give more than 2tsp of go calmag while others have done fine with just the recommended feeding, that's why I've been giving them heavy feedings of go calmag, as far as I can tell I don't see any ill effects from this.

I keep forgetting to post an update on MJ, since her 5th or 6th set of leaves she has been growing 3 sets of leaves instead of 2 which means 3 bud sites. Further up the main stem she sort of topped her self, well more like the main stem grew into 2 separate stems, unfortunately both main stems have gone back to growing 2 sets of leaves. I've never seen this before so I'm not sure how common it is I just thought I would share it and try to spread what ever knowledge I can, I gotta say I was pretty impressed I can't wait to see what she looks like after the flip. On a side note a she could just have very unstable genetics and could be a late flowering hermie

This is where the first 3 nodes pop out
20150520_201055.jpg

Where the main stem split
20150520_200703.jpg

The most recent pic of the 2 main stems.
20150520_200544-1.jpg

Here's an old pic of her crown before it split in two
20150426_035344.jpg

I see no signs of a hermy in the pics.

Verify PH first. Soil should be around 6.5, and hydro/soilless should be around 5.8.

If PH is good, problems appear to be simple deficiencies, Magnesium is most obvious, burning tips could be a little nute burn, OR Zinc def. Red stripes on stems could be strain specific, or could be the beginning of a Phosphorous def., and the spotting could be just a touch of Calcium def.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, the plants are looking good and green, the dying leaf tips have stopped in their tracks which I believe was caused by a zinc def like Antics said. I also believe the high intensity light is causing the stems to turn purple, leds and hids that are powerful enough can cause this, I forget what the process is called but King John C mentioned it in his seed cabinet journal.

I have gone back to watering with just plain distilled water which looks like the ph is perfect for soil(using GH ph testing kit), I'm not sure if i should give them any calmag since I added more 420 soil.

I plan on flipping the lights asap I don't want to do it too soon tho, I was wondering how long does it normally take a plant to bounce back from a transplant and start showing new growth

Thanks for all the advice everyone, the plants are looking good and green, the dying leaf tips have stopped in their tracks which I believe was caused by a zinc def like Antics said. I also believe the high intensity light is causing the stems to turn purple, leds and hids that are powerful enough can cause this, I forget what the process is called but King John C mentioned it in his seed cabinet journal.

I have gone back to watering with just plain distilled water which looks like the ph is perfect for soil(using GH ph testing kit), I'm not sure if i should give them any calmag since I added more 420 soil.

I plan on flipping the lights asap I don't want to do it too soon tho, I was wondering how long does it normally take a plant to bounce back from a transplant and start showing new growth

I transplanted my plants from 3 gallon to 5 gallon pots and went in to flower 5 days later I am not sure if there was any new growth lol I cant remember

I transplanted my plants from 3 gallon to 5 gallon pots and went in to flower 5 days later I am not sure if there was any new growth lol I cant remember

Yeah I was thinking about a week but thought I should wait till I noticed new growth just in case I shocked them during the transplant. I know it can take up to a week of 12/12 before the plants will start flowering so I might just wait a week then flip the lights

It depends on how big of an area you need to do.

There's some small units for $40-$50, but I don't know how well they work.

Then there's the bigger units, $175+ Which I own a Frigidaire model, and it keeps my basement nice and dry.

I really just need a small $40-$50 unit but if I can find a bigger one for cheap on eBay or craigslist I might just have to grab it. Does the bigger units blow cold air back out.

What's up everyone this is the update we've all been waiting for, The Flip! Groot, Mary Jane, and Scarlett have been vegging for 9 weeks which is 3 weeks later than I wanted to. They had some issues but I gave them new pots and some more Ideal 420 Soil about a week ago and they have bounced right back.

They've been on an 18/6 light schedule except for today, my light usually comes on at 6pm I pushed it back to 7:30pm so my 12hrs on will be from 7:30pm-7:30am. Its starting to get hot during the day here so I figured I would have the lights off when my a.c. is running the most so I can see how low the temps get.

All three plants are between 24"-25", I gave them a defol today before lights out when I was putting them back I snapped one of MJ's branches, it didn't break off so I taped it up and it's starting to stand back up already. I'm not sure how long it usually takes a branch to heal or when to take the tape off tho.

Just like a proud parent I took a shit ton of pics, the veg has been fun, exciting, and at times frustrating so I can't wait to see and learn how they grow during the next stage of their lives and of course I can't wait to see the finish, so close but still so far.

MJ before
20150528_075322.jpg
20150528_075404.jpg
20150528_075438.jpg

MJ after
20150528_085633.jpg
20150528_085933.jpg
20150528_090024.jpg

20150528_102324.jpg

Scarlett before
20150528_091845.jpg
20150528_091945.jpg
20150528_092015.jpg

Scarlett after
20150528_100413.jpg
20150528_100610.jpg
20150528_100835.jpg

You can see the tops leaned over in this last pic, they tend to do this when I take them out the tent to water or trim but they stand back up shortly after I put them back in, could this be stress from going a little while without the proper lighting.

Groot before
20150528_103525.jpg
20150528_103918.jpg
20150528_104146.jpg

Groot after
20150528_122505.jpg
20150528_122545.jpg
20150528_122606.jpg

Before
20150528_0336561.jpg

After, light turned off before I could finish
20150528_123029.jpg