Help! Sexing Cuttings!

Monsignor

These clone cuttings have been in pure dark for over two weeks:

I was instructed by someone at my local hydro store to take my cuttings and put them into water and go straight dark and they will show their gender within a couple of days. I put them in rapid rooter cubes. One plant shot pistols and two others had tiny male preflowers on stalks.

***I started six plants from seed and am trying to sex the cuttings because the parents are still in veg. I want to pull the males as early as possible.***

These two are not so obvious to me

This plant doesn't seem to have any hairs coming out or any ball-like identifiers:

20161110_104124.jpg

20161110_104122.jpg

20161110_104447.jpg

This plant also doesn't have any hairs but it does have a bulbous growth at the top that I have no idea of what it is. I got a few more pictures of this one:

20161110_104244.jpg
20161110_104258.jpg
20161110_104323.jpg
20161110_104402.jpg
20161110_104405.jpg
20161110_104417.jpg

Any help identifying gender would be great. Since there was't much happening I put them on 12/12 hoping for different results. Obviously I wont attempt this method of sexing in the future.

Never heard of doing it that way, stuck a couple small clones in 12/12 but it took 10 days for them to show sex (or enough that a blind old man like myself could say for sure what sex it was), but I'm new to this and still having trouble until it is obvious if pistols or balls ;) LOL

Sounds bizarre to me.
The cuttings are the same sex as the mother plant(s).

Sounds bizarre to me.
The cuttings are the same sex as the mother plant(s).

Major PITA,

I'm trying to figure out the sex of my plants that are in veg so that I can pull the males early and save on Nuts and whatnot. I grew them from seed. One of them is going to be the mother if I have more than one female. Time will tell. I put the grow log link in my signature block if you want to see what I've done so far.

Urbanmonk and Fertilizer,

Thank you guys for your input. I will have to get the loupe or just be patient now that I have them on 12/12. I really want to know why the one has the "bulb" on top with like 3 little "cloves" almost.

Major PITA,

I'm trying to figure out the sex of my plants that are in veg so that I can pull the males early and save on Nuts and whatnot. I grew them from seed. One of them is going to be the mother if I have more than one female. Time will tell. I put the grow log link in my signature block if you want to see what I've done so far.

Ahhh - sorry!
I can see putting them in dark for 24-48 hours to make sure they get the message of the flip to 12/12. But for them to produce balls or buds, they need to grow - at least a little. With no light, there is no photosynthesis. They need that energy. Now that you have them under 12/12, if they survive, you should see your answers soon. Mine take one to two weeks to show but I've never deprived them of light at the beginning.

Major PITA,

That's what I thought too!!! But I was like hey, this guy's the Hydro store guy. I've never grown before... who am I to not do it his way! :laughtwo: lol. I set up the light in there. It's going to be my mother and clone room anyway and I needed to get it done. I think they will last. They've been pretty resilient to the abuse I've put them through so far. Thank you!

Major PITA,

That's what I thought too!!! But I was like hey, this guy's the Hydro store guy. I've never grown before... who am I to not do it his way! :laughtwo: lol. I set up the light in there. It's going to be my mother and clone room anyway and I needed to get it done. I think they will last. They've been pretty resilient to the abuse I've put them through so far. Thank you!

I think most of the time info they have is right on, but like everything in life there can be some rather polar opposite points of view ;) :rofl: So usually if it sounds too far out there I will not try it, though part of that may be due to being old and stuck in my ways. In example (no offense to the folks that do it) the folks that wash the buds before they dry them, I worry enough about mold where I am and it just don't seem right for many reasons to me, but "to each their own" if you that worried about what goes into your body far as dust and stuff in the wind then you should worry about breathing too as lots of crap going in that way too ;). So I guess even if it works for some that one I will probably never try (and part of it is being old and stubborn and stuck in my ways lol).

Back
Top Bottom