Help Us Find 420-Friendly Names For Inappropriate Strains

so what are we still looking for
I feel the older I get the less imagination I have :rofl: so it makes it harder to think of new stuff :rofl:

Just my thoughts here. I wonder if it would do any good to send petition type letters to the breeder houses. Maybe even get some seed companies who sell for them to sign them too?
Just to make the breeders aware how much times they-are-a-changing and they could probably be more successful on sales if they get the names of the strains to something less "kid friendly" or "shock value" named, and more geared toward the medicinal and working adult market.

Maybe they've heard it all before....but then maybe they haven't heard it enough.

yea but didn't they find substitutes for a couple already?
im just curious as if they did and whats left to rename

Ahhhh...I understand now. :thumb:

I don't :scratchinghead:

We are asking for a discussion of 420 friendly strain names.

We have provided a few suggestions, nothing more.

The best anyone has come up with so far is "Plumber's Dilemma" :dreamy:

We were thinking along the lines of where the strain originated,

or what the breeder originally intended it to be called,

or another name that growers call it by.

:Namaste:

Green Crack:
Cecil Greens' Cush

This would give credit to CecilC and Greenbeans.
Just thought I would throw it out there......

Herijuana:
New Haven Hash-Stash or Kentucky Hash-Stash

I totally agree on the "Lucy"

I'm personally not fond of the "Vietnam". I was thinking changing the "Orange" word to "Citrus" at least. I'm still thinking on that one and would like to research the strain a bit first.

CherryPie Kush sounds awesome.

8 Ball Kush: "Pin Ball Kush" (it will get yer head bouncing around like a pinball machine. LOL)

Opium: Why not just call it "Totem Pole"?

That's all I have for my contributions right now. Looking forward to other suggestions. :)

I was originally thinking that you were looking for names that would describe the strain itself, effects etc. I guess I read that wrong.

One of these strains should have a complete name change, I suggest....
"The Triple R"= Rico Ricardo Richardson:biglaugh:

what about poppy for opium
its where its derived from at least the opium is :rofl:
doesn't sound so bad almost sounds like pappi lol

From the Breeder:

Agent Orange is a very good producer with extremely resinous large dense buds. The smell is amazing with hints of Oranges, Lemons and the smell of a Wh***ey Sour cocktail.

»»» "Orange Skunk" X "Jacks Cleaner" (Jack Herrer x The Cleaner ) X "Jillybean" (Orange Velvet X Space Queen)

Here is some info on Jack's Cleaner:

He sent me about 200 seeds of an old strain called Skoosh that was pretty infamous in his circles and I started cracking large trays looking for a keeper. The make up of these seeds were Pluton, Lambs bread, Purple Haze and Northern Lights. What mix or pattern these crosses occurred I am not sure. Most of what I found was not impressive, super thin spindly sativa’s and mutants with whorled leaves. I did find a few that seemed normal and grew them to maturity. Of all the seeds I started over a period of a year one phenotype stood out. It was a extremely resinous ultra lemon wonder. It reminded me of a house hold cleaner named “Mr Clean” So I named it “The Cleaner”. It had one poor trait and that was weak stems and smaller size. I had not yet read botany and we all thought breeders were smarter than god so it was just luck I had a Jack Herer male from Sensi Seeds that I was to lazy to kill and just placed in a dark garage. It refused to die so I placed a small 12” Cleaner clone with him and she produced about 35 seeds.
From these I selected the best female and tossed all the males. From these was the Phenotype many now consider to be the holy grail of Cannabis, Jacks Cleaner is a large heavy producer with ultra white raised trichomes that actually give the plant a gooey appearance. Heavy citrus with over bearing lemon smell and taste I have yet to see anything like it.

Based on this history, how about "Sour Space Cleaner" or "Orange Space Skoosh" or something like that?

Although the FDA would have a problem symptom relief claims I think that names such as, Khronic Kramp Killer, Nausea Nirvana, Anxiety Away or Never Never Land would assist patients in making strain decisions. For energizing strains names could be Personal Trainer, Time Warrior, Trailblazer. For recreational strains Bag O' Fun, Coversation Starter, House Warmer or DayOff.
Now if we wanted to we could incorporate heritage names with these like Kentucky Trailblazer, Nepalese DayOff, Humbolt Nausea Nirvana.

So anyhow just some seeds for thought!

I wanted to add that I think some of the namesthat the folks are conig up with from strain origins are great. Also tomato grower have a history of naming varieties along the lines we are discussing. Some are Mountain Pride ( University of N.Car.), Pruden's Purple, Cherokee Purple or even based upon how early it matures, i.e. Mountain Spring, or Early Girl. In Columbus Ohio there is a strain called Dumpster because it was found as a thrown out plant in an apartment complex dumpster. I think that an interesting new thread would be about some of these strains and crosses that are only available in small geographic areas.

Just to :bump: this discussion and keep it on track, here are the strains we want to rename:

GirlScoutCookies: Referencing a children's group
Green Crack:
Referencing a hard drug
Herijuana:
Referencing a hard drug
8 Ball Kush:
Referencing a hard drug
Opium:
Referencing a hard drug
LSD:
Referencing a hard drug
Agent Orange:
Referencing a chemical used in the Vietnam war that killed/maimed 400,000 people and 500,000 children were born with birth defects as a result.

Just to :bump: this discussion and keep it on track, here are the strains we want to rename:

GirlScoutCookies: Referencing a children's group
Green Crack:
Referencing a hard drug
Herijuana:
Referencing a hard drug
8 Ball Kush:
Referencing a hard drug
Opium:
Referencing a hard drug
LSD:
Referencing a hard drug
Agent Orange:
Referencing a chemical used in the Vietnam war that killed/maimed 400,000 people and 500,000 children were born with birth defects as a result.

Just for reference; agent orange is STILL killing....my bros are dropping like flys. It's still being used in parts of the world just as ddt is. I still believe the scientific approach will prevail, I can just hear my voice trying to discuss "kentucky bluegrass" with a botanist, they are barely tolerant of us when we use scientific names and jargon...let alone some "new system" of naming plants, disregarding the thousands of years of laborious work ALREADY accomplished. Just me, but in the horticultural circles I've worked in, it is bordering on disrespect to try and change something that is already so precise and understandable to the trained mind, just to accommodate a weed growers. NOW, plants alwaus have common names, and to tack on the name "green butt crack" or whatever may not be so kosher to some, but to the botanist or horticulturalist, this is absolutely acceptable and does not encroach on any of the fundamental guidelines for naming new varieties..............just mcloadies point of view...........

Ah Mcloadie the old taxonomic charts that we used to have to walk around the woods and prairies with at SIU. I remember them well! I grew up walking through the woods and fields with my dad who was a doctor of Botany and Chemistry. He would point to a tree or plant and say , "Whats the common name of that one?" I'd say," That's a tulip tree!" Then he would quiz me, "Whats the latin name?" I'd say Genus Liriodendron, species Tulipifera!" We played taht game trying to stump each other for 40 years until his death. I passed it on and played it with my kids although they think it is stupid. If i stumped him or he me then out came the tables and we would walk through it together. But even amongst scientist common variety names are completely fair game with alot of botanists naming varieties within species after themselves or even their children or wives.

So... Mcloadies Miracle! is open for use and totally fair game!

Ah Mcloadie the old taxonomic charts that we used to have to walk around the woods and prairies with at SIU. I remember them well! I grew up walking through the woods and fields with my dad who was a doctor of Botany and Chemistry. He would point to a tree or plant and say , "Whats the common name of that one?" I'd say," That's a tulip tree!" Then he would quiz me, "Whats the latin name?" I'd say Genus Liriodendron, species Tulipifera!" We played taht game trying to stump each other for 40 years until his death. I passed it on and played it with my kids although they think it is stupid. If i stumped him or he me then out came the tables and we would walk through it together. But even amongst scientist common variety names are completely fair game with alot of botanists naming varieties within species after themselves or even their children or wives.

So... Mcloadies Miracle! is open for use and totally fair game!

Very good sir, your children may think they are silly games now, but they will appreciate them for what they are at some point...just as you do! It would be an honor...as you probably know now, to meet or have met your father. I am a generational horticulturist, as are you, these precious nuggets of information, discipline and interaction are ingrained in who we are......and if we so choose.....we take what we're given and run with it, attempting to add something worthwhile and valuable to our community. I was so wild as a child that I probably wasn't worth playing these games of life at that point, but as we know, the human mind records every syllable ever uttered within earshot........and much information is available subconsciously if not consciously. My thanks to your father, and to you as keepers of the art and information, so we don't have to take steps backward to go forward, but rely on and examine the findings of those who have gone before us and investigated the indications. We are NOT the inventors, but trustees of the immense information trove that is entrusted to anyone who gives a shit and is willing to put the steel to the stone..so to speak and ADD to what has already been done. Myself, there was a point when I realized I wasn't going to reinvent the wheel, I was just going to first find out what made it roll, and how it could become more balanced that it might roll smoother, naturally, and without harming the environments that would taste the byproducts of my craft.

Cannabis indica mexicana verde.........."mexikush". BTW, a run of my mexikush has just finished and the reviews are coming back...." some of the best weed I ever smoked"...........I bred it, but I don't care for it, it's too heavy on the sativa side and I don't care for the bone rattling high! I prefer an 80/20 mix, with indica being on the heavy side. The mexikush puts me in a state that I struggle to converse, and the rushes make it difficult to stand still in public and maintain balance. What I have found is tremendous success with Alzheimer patients. When this strain is reduced to concentrates, it cause lost connections in the brain the reconnect electrically somehow and the Alzheimer is not only stopped or slowed from advancing in many cases, but progress is actually achieved. This means that I have made progress......if even just one patient benefits we all win! I have a patient who was house ridden because of a loss of awareness that would materialize....the patient would forget essential information, like where they were, and what they were doing. This patient is no longer house ridden and the cost of the medicine is miniscule in comparison with the benefits received. Imagine a child that can now; "go out and play"....rather than living in a mindful prison of confusion.

Mcloadie it is so good to find a fellow plant enthusiast on here and not just pot. I am completely consumed with learning more about plant life around us and have always been encouraged by my Dad to think outside of the box when it comes to production techniques.
He was a foremost scientist and has the patents on several herbicides in use still today. Now before some organic proponent accuses him of poisoning our planet with his products let me say that he was constantly working on coming up with products that were effective with the least environmental impact. Some of his instructors were no less than Aldo and Carl Leopold!
He helped me on our farm to come up with non-chemical cultural techniques or minimal pesticide use techniques that I now see in use today. Things like the use of trap crops, cover crops and mulches. But to any idea he would say, You know, we will never know unless we try." So we would and I learned alot from that man and my Grandfather.Mcloadie I think that we should be friends on here so look for my request!

In a sense, banning certain names would also be demonizing as well. I would agree that 8 ball and Agent Orange perhaps have no redeeming qualities. On the other hand, cannabis has a great many beneficial properties, not the least of which are its psychoactive, mystical and meditative. The documentary DMT, the spirit molecule, argues for a relegitimization of the traditional shamanistic pursuit for spiritual wisdom, a position with which I am in full agreement. Should we also ban such names as 'Aspirin Haze' or 'Tequila Blossom' if some breeders decide to use those?

It can be a slippery slope and while I too find some names outright distasteful, perhaps simply not posting (or reading) threads which you find offensive is a less censorious solution. I am growing the 'Lucy' strain myself right now, and the name is not arbitrary, as it is supposedly representative of the strains characteristics. If people really object, my feeling is they should mount counter-campaigns, boycott strains or breeders, make thoughtful posts. But don't impose censorship.

Back
Top Bottom