Help Us Find 420-Friendly Names For Inappropriate Strains

No offense but in my opinion the topic should be a little broader.It's not simply about can we brainstorm some new names that I totally agree would be more appropriate. But, it also should be the strategy that we would employ to get seed companies and their marketing folks to adopt that same mind set. We can come up with all kinds of creative names that just sit on this thread and go no where else. But how do we as a group effectively change the breeding industries mindset at the same time. They are unavoidably connected.
We can decide that as a group we don't want Ford to call their car a Mustang and we can start calling it a Jellyfish. But ,that doesn't change what Ford calls it. Ideas without a path to action remain nothing but ideas. Again I am totally new here and maybe I add my 2 cents worth too often but that is my opinion.

Hi uptheholler :ciao: Welcome to 420 Magazine :yummy:

Your opinions are more than welcome and please keep adding your "2 cents" (they all add up)

We have a range of forums here and welcome vigorous debate on various topics.

If you want to start a new thread about how "we as a group effectively change the breeding industries mindset".

That would be an interesting debate and I'd be glad to help if you want.

This thread is specific to these strain-names being used in grow journals and discussions here on the site.

:circle-of-love:That's all :thumb:

Do you have any suggestions?

:Namaste:

Here's my thinkin':

GSC - I'm good with Cherry Pie Kush. Seems like that was the breeder's intent originally.

GC - I like Canna's suggestion of 'Cecil Greens' Cush' because it's especially fun to say if you throw on a southern US accent. I also like 'Athens Cush' or 'Athens Green Cush' because Athens always makes me daydreamy (not sure if Ohio's version of Athens is daydream-worthy though).

OP - I like 'The Totem' or 'Totem Pole'

HJ - I like 'New Haven Headstash' or 'New Haven Hash-stash'. I thought of 'Killer Petrol' (Killer New Haven X Petrolia Headstash) but that sounds like a death metal band, and the word 'Killer' probably isn't the cleanest choice. (Killer Petrol would be the equivalent of saying.... "Cool gas, duuuude" :laughtwo:)

8BK - I'm going with Marble Kush, since we're picking smooth, orb-like objects. :)

Lucy is fine by me. :thumb:

AO - I like 'Skunk Galaxy' or 'Orange Skunk Galaxy' (mixing parent's names - Orange Skunk x Jacks Cleaner x Space Queen).

I looked into AO a bit, and it seems this strain was gifted this name just because of the orange flavor/scent. I don't see any connections to Vietnam in its history, so I don't see a need to keep that reference.

I'll think about it some more. :high-five:

I had to request a thread be taken down, after I innocently named the strain (GC) I was working with. Once that happens to you, you think more on the topic of strain names than ever before.

I agree, some of the names make cannabis seem more seedy (pun intended) than medicinal and miraculous, which is what it deserves.

That said - I have a strain from Humboldt County that is entering it's 19th year. Was lucky enough to obtain 2 clones and have already secured a perpetual grow from them. I have yet to find a similar strain to identify it, so I'm just calling it Humboldt & Nuts. It does have a nutty aroma. :)

I believe LSD from Barneys Farm already has an acceptable name, and one that has been in use for a while here at 420magazine.com . That name is Lucy, and it works just fine.

The problem with "new" strains always appearing, policing is a problem. I believe the only way to do this right is to give them Latin names, then translate that to relevant language of today. This will happen eventually with the cannabis genome mapping going on. All these names will eventually be changed, to Latin, by the research people. That is one job i would love to have, growing all those plants , which in my mind would include "sample sessions" of course.

So bear with me, Cannabis Indica Purpura Kush , ror Purple Urkle.
Cannabis Hybrida Vaccinium, for Blueberry

Cannabis Hybrida Viridis Fragor, for Green Crack

Cannabis Hybrida Lux Caelum Diamas , for LSD

I agree 100%

Plants and trees have had a system for being named for 100s of years.

I understand the point of this thread and I agree. The plant names need to be changed...but by coming up with replacement names for offensively named strains we are really only creating code names that are useful on this site alone and does nothing for the progression of medical marijuana as a viable medicine. Granted, the names for certain strains cannot be used on this site for many reasons but the plants have already been named by the breeder...I feel it is up to the growers discretion to find a replacement term to describe the plant they are growing. But that is all it is (a replacement) when used people will still associate the replacement name with the given name...changing nothing. Green Cr**k = GC ...Girl S*out cookies= GSC

I agree with all the points McLodie and uptheholler made and feel they are "on topic"...although not as fun as making up fake names.

This thread has bought up a much greater point for discussion

Please feel free to continue with the fake names after Rico puts me in my place :)

No offense but in my opinion the topic should be a little broader.It's not simply about can we brainstorm some new names that I totally agree would be more appropriate. But, it also should be the strategy that we would employ to get seed companies and their marketing folks to adopt that same mind set. We can come up with all kinds of creative names that just sit on this thread and go no where else. But how do we as a group effectively change the breeding industries mindset at the same time. They are unavoidably connected.
We can decide that as a group we don't want Ford to call their car a Mustang and we can start calling it a Jellyfish. But ,that doesn't change what Ford calls it. Ideas without a path to action remain nothing but ideas. Again I am totally new here and maybe I add my 2 cents worth too often but that is my opinion.

:bravo:

Your place is here Jay :) You have made some very valid points :thumb:

All "greater points of discussion" are welcome to be discussed in a new thread :skeptical:

This is about what image we present as a website, not about changing the breeders' strain names.

To be honest, I could grow a bagseed and call it "Plumber's Dilemma" or whatever

and no-one would know the difference from a few photos. And who would really care?

How can you be sure that the clone from the dispensary is really what they call it?

This is only about 420 Magazine for now. We can change the world later :circle-of-love:

:Namaste:

Right On to McLoadie and uptheholler + reps for you both on your awesome perspectives! I agree totally. A scientific naming convention for all the strains would be fun. This is a great discussion and its awesome to know that others also strive to elevate awareness that Cannabis is not some evil drug. Little things like this can all add up to ease the negative tone and social stigma that still exists with this Sacred Herb.

Check out this video for your entertainment. This shows how people can have the complete wrong idea and duscussions like this may help to quiet these people down and give them less ammunition. Enjoy...
Former prosecutor, Nancy Grace, states "People on pot shoot, stab and strangle each other" - YouTube

Wow I just saw this and i cannot believe this myself. I mean I thought we were living in 2014 not 1950, Nancy grace did her research alright she must have watched "Reefer madness" like 100 times and her heroes are Richard Nixon and Harry J Ainslinger. I used to get mad at people like this but now I just enjoy watching them get crucified by the majority of people with common sense. To quote Will Ferrell this is just mind bottling!!!

Hey Rico I think that we CAN do a little more.

First consider suggesting different names when we order seeds from breeders and seed companies. Something like I was going to buy Agent Orange but I thought that it might make me sick so I decided upon, XYZ.

I think also that on the site when we are posting photos of what we grow we can do what I have seen some of the plant and nug of the month folks do and give the lineage information instead of the offensive name.

I know that's the long row to hoe but at least it is something that we can start right now.

Trust me I don't want to change the thread I am really enjoying the names that everyone has come up with. No one can ever say taht pot doesn't make you more creative! Now I have to get back to my Origami Sea Serpent which by the way could be a new strain name!!

Origami Sea Serpent - I like it :thumb:

This is an example of the kind of person we want to reach.

Sick people may not want to smoke "Crack", whatever color it may be.

We want the focus on the plant, medicinally and recreationally, not on negative associations.

[video=youtube_share;KdsPNcObvUw]
[/video]

Cannabis Hybrida 'viridis fragor' is my choice for "green cr**ck" ...common name (plumbers dilemma)

Although more work for us why not make a step towards improving the image of medical marijuana by using its scientific name? All great changes have small starts. We have the opportunity on this website, that is dedicated on an international level to the forward progression of medical marijuana, to make a difference in the way our medicine is viewed. This is a change that I am confident will be embraced the medical community as well. Which of the above names do you think a Doctor will feel better about prescribing to his patients?

If anyone has ever spoken to a landscape architect about plants they won't even acknowledge the common names. Although that example is too elitist for my taste we can improve our level of professionalism.

Rico I love how pc you are :circle-of-love:...you must be a mayor ...just not the mayor of Toronto Canada :laughtwo:...he would chose the latter name every time :)

Thanks Jay :laughtwo: True. Not him :skeptical:

I like the idea of latin names, we could have a list agreed on here to be implemented site-wide on every new grow journal, working back to abandoned and completed. We could call it the "Cannabis American Latin Oldskool Revolution - Idealy Enhanced Strain-names" or C.A.L.O.R.I.E.S.
Maybe we can think of a better name for that as well...:cheer:

Thanks Jay :laughtwo: True. Not him :skeptical:

I like the idea of latin names, we could have a list agreed on here to be implemented site-wide on every new grow journal, working back to abandoned and completed. We could call it the "Cannabis American Latin Oldskool Revolution - Idealy Enhanced Strain-names" or C.A.L.O.R.I.E.S.
Maybe we can think of a better name for that as well...:cheer:

You should champion that Rico :thumb: :) :)...sounds like too much work :rofl:

I like the calories acronym...

...it reminds me of S.C.A.L.E (scientific cannabis awareness - Latin enhancement) :)

I really like the latin name direction.
And I like Calories....but I don't think that's really fits with this. :laughtwo:
Cannabis Latin American Strain Identity?
CLASI

(pronounced "classy". LOL)

Add to that as you see fit. ;-)

Thanks Canna, best laugh of my day, "I like calories" gets you

2 thumbs,

1 full row of Oreos

and 1 large glass of milk.

Be sure to soak 2 oreos at a time, fully submerged, until the bubbles stop.

Whack that thing in one bite, then polish off the whole row, when/if your fingers get numb, you're doing it perfect,

just change hands.:circle-of-love:

I see I'm late to this party, but I would like to post some support for a "better" strain-naming convention too. Use something that is helpful in identifying what it really is. Obviously some of this would be difficult as even some original strains have some "iffy" names alreadyIt would be really nice, helpful (and more scientific) if we could put something in to identify: geographic origin, indica/sativa, growth traits, etc.

I won't criticize the current crop of names out there as they developed through prohibitionist mentalities and such, but at some point the waters get so muddied with everyone trying to come up with the next most extreme and unusual name, it becomes more and more difficult to discuss with a straight face in a serious conversation. One poster already stated his thoughts on recpot-day 1 and the media's attention to the stereotypical stoner. I find it equally uncomfortable when they go inside and a budtender is trying to discuss medicinal applications for green crack.

Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom