HID to LED 2 weeks in 12/12

Livingorganics22

420 Member
Hi guys and gals!
Hope everyone is well and thankyou for popping in on this one.

I've got a bit of a dilemma, but first a bit of context behind the issue. I grow in an outhouse and rely on air from the outside to cool my lung room. I also use HID lights during the winter months to save on heating bills, 2 birds one stone approach. However this is now my dilemma.... it's only February and we are already seeing 14°c outside temps which means I'm having to circulate alot of air through my lung room to keep temps down. ( I wasn't expecting temperatures to be this warm this early) All perfectly normal bbbuutttt it's the humidity that is the issue I had dehumidify the air quick enough so I'm getting 65% RH and still struggling to keep those temps down without going higher. Icing on the cake, one of the strains I'm running is really bad for bud rot so I must get that RH down.

I have a couple of work arounds one much cheaper than the other. But I need your thoughts as there is a real mixed opinion online.

1. Swap out my HPS and get my Full spectrum LEDS in. - I can control the light intensity so the brightness will remain the same but the spectrum will surely be different. Currently in my 2nd week of 12/12 I'm hoping this won't make too much of a difference or should I wait until a little later when they aren't so stressed out working on all the flower sites etc. I'm hoping that being a full spectrum LED there won't be much need for transition or adjustment from the plants.

2. Switching is suicide run up that AC and dehumidifier that will cost the earth but it is what it is.

Would love to see what you guys are thinking.....

Update -
Thought I'd pop up a picture of what im dealing with currently and report back on here as to what the overall outcome is.

3x Mint Choc OG - humbolt
3x RS11 X High Chew - clear water Genetics.

Week 2 12/12 organic soil in SIP containers, just add water.
20240215_184628.jpg
20240215_184654.jpg

I've got a bit of a dilemma, but first a bit of context behind the issue. I grow in an outhouse and rely on air from the outside to cool my lung room. I also use HID lights during the winter months to save on heating bills,

a lot of us have done the same. if you want to stay led yr round you could add a small heater to make up the difference. it will still eat less energy but have the same result.

1. Swap out my HPS and get my Full spectrum LEDS in. - I can control the light intensity so the brightness will remain the same but the spectrum will surely be different.

full specs are great, but i built my leds in dedicated veg and flower spectrum rigs, which still work better. gonna try a full spec 650w for flower, bit i don't think it will match the 600w flower spec i use now.

Currently in my 2nd week of 12/12 I'm hoping this won't make too much of a difference or should I wait until a little later when they aren't so stressed out working on all the flower sites etc. I'm hoping that being a full spectrum LED there won't be much need for transition or adjustment from the plants.

light is light. they'll be ok with it.

2. Switching is suicide run up that AC and dehumidifier that will cost the earth but it is what it is.

try the led and see if it helps get the rest of your environment under control. there's a few things you can manipulate to be flexible.

Lol I just asked in your intro thread if you noticed any issues shifting lights. I’ll follow along and see what happens

The only recommendation I can give is pay attention to calmag requirements. @StoneOtter runs organic soil in SIPs under LED and found himself needing to add calmag

I’ve always had to add a slow drip (50 ppms) of calcium and magnesium (aerated pure [0 ppm] water with dolomite lime) for my mineralized soils under LEDs

Lol I just asked in your intro thread if you noticed any issues shifting lights. I’ll follow along and see what happens

The only recommendation I can give is pay attention to calmag requirements. @StoneOtter runs organic soil in SIPs under LED and found himself needing to add calmag

I’ve always had to add a slow drip (50 ppms) of calcium and magnesium (aerated pure [0 ppm] water with dolomite lime) for my mineralized soils under LEDs
Haha heyup! I should have checked here first. Defo replied to you on there as well lol.

Anyways nothing to be seen yet but we shall see. They have reacted really well to it so far! If anything they like it! Bring on better buds!

As for calmag I havent seen any issues tbf I do give a little now and then but I use treated tap water which should hold enough for them to be happy. I have been using SIPS for about 3 years now and I love em!

a lot of us have done the same. if you want to stay led yr round you could add a small heater to make up the difference. it will still eat less energy but have the same result.

full specs are great, but i built my leds in dedicated veg and flower spectrum rigs, which still work better. gonna try a full spec 650w for flower, bit i don't think it will match the 600w flower spec i use now.

light is light. they'll be ok with it.

try the led and see if it helps get the rest of your environment under control. there's a few things you can manipulate to be flexible.
Hmmmmm heating and LED during the depths of winter here is a no go as I'm growing in an out house cost me a fortune to heat the lights saved me alot lol

Never really seen different spectrum lights before. Makes alot of sense as MH and HPS for HID do better than full spectrum. All I do know is I've missed my LEDS hate that yellow from HPS lol

Haha heyup! I should have checked here first. Defo replied to you on there as well lol.

Anyways nothing to be seen yet but we shall see. They have reacted really well to it so far! If anything they like it! Bring on better buds!

As for calmag I havent seen any issues tbf I do give a little now and then but I use treated tap water which should hold enough for them to be happy. I have been using SIPS for about 3 years now and I love em!

Ahh yes, treated tap water will likely keep them pretty sated. I use RO water so I’ve gotta add a little something.

It’s always nice having another experienced organic gardener here, I’ll be following along!

Ahh yes, treated tap water will likely keep them pretty sated. I use RO water so I’ve gotta add a little something.

It’s always nice having another experienced organic gardener here, I’ll be following along!
Ah yes RO 100% needs that added. I also heard that you have to be careful in which order you add calmag as its changes the ions in the water or some shiz and messes up the pH. I cant remeber exactly what it was but there was something lol..

Yh organics FTW!
Although I was once wondering weather I could do a mix as I have a Res of water but never been ballsy enough to go ahead with it

Hi guys and gals!
Hope everyone is well and thankyou for popping in on this one.

I've got a bit of a dilemma, but first a bit of context behind the issue. I grow in an outhouse and rely on air from the outside to cool my lung room. I also use HID lights during the winter months to save on heating bills, 2 birds one stone approach. However this is now my dilemma.... it's only February and we are already seeing 14°c outside temps which means I'm having to circulate alot of air through my lung room to keep temps down. ( I wasn't expecting temperatures to be this warm this early) All perfectly normal bbbuutttt it's the humidity that is the issue I had dehumidify the air quick enough so I'm getting 65% RH and still struggling to keep those temps down without going higher. Icing on the cake, one of the strains I'm running is really bad for bud rot so I must get that RH down.

I have a couple of work arounds one much cheaper than the other. But I need your thoughts as there is a real mixed opinion online.

1. Swap out my HPS and get my Full spectrum LEDS in. - I can control the light intensity so the brightness will remain the same but the spectrum will surely be different. Currently in my 2nd week of 12/12 I'm hoping this won't make too much of a difference or should I wait until a little later when they aren't so stressed out working on all the flower sites etc. I'm hoping that being a full spectrum LED there won't be much need for transition or adjustment from the plants.

I went the same route but im in veg yet, The transition hasn't been bad at all so far for me. I think you'll be ok with the switch right away maybe just ease into it like you say start off dimmed and turn it up as they get used to it👍✌️

Y
I went the same route but im in veg yet, The transition hasn't been bad at all so far for me. I think you'll be ok with the switch right away maybe just ease into it like you say start off dimmed and turn it up as they get used to it👍✌️
H during veg I would have no problem switching up its only as I'm in stretch the most stressful time for the plants a sudden change can create more stress and tip them over the ending up with chicks with dicks and no one likes that haha well almost no one

i ran hid along led for years. sometimes even in the same room.

throw them under a light and don't worry. the plants need nothing special. they don't have to adjust to anything. they don't care. just watch it if you are giving them a sudden massive increase for a day or two. after that it won't matter what light you are under.

You could just pull one light out or just switch. If that stresses them out that bad, sorry but those genetics are garbage. But, I'm sure they will be just fine. I wouldn't worry one bit. Plants look fantastic. Another thing you could do, is a heavy defoliation. It will lower your humidity, and improve the airflow. And allow them photons to get to the lower sites. I'd try that first.

also heard that you have to be careful in which order you add calmag as its changes the ions in the water or some shiz and messes up the pH. I cant remeber exactly what it was but there was something lol

Correct. When you’re adding multiple nutrients/products to your water the calmag needs to be added first, let the water sit for a few then add the rest. The double charge of calcium can bind to the nutrients and lead to unintentionally precipitating specific elements. Basically will stick to the nutrients and pull them right out of the water if not properly dissolved.

Yh organics FTW!
Although I was once wondering weather I could do a mix as I have a Res of water but never been ballsy enough to go ahead with it

Theoretically you could do it, but it sounds like a headache and an invitation to chase your tail. You’d probably wind up cursing at yourself the whole grow 😂 I totally get wanting to try something new but also not wanting to mess with the system that’s shown you success. Every time I think of doing something new I think about all the things that could go wrong lol

You could just pull one light out or just switch. If that stresses them out that bad, sorry but those genetics are garbage. But, I'm sure they will be just fine. I wouldn't worry one bit. Plants look fantastic. Another thing you could do, is a heavy defoliation. It will lower your humidity, and improve the airflow. And allow them photons to get to the lower sites. I'd try that first.
That's exactly what I did haha I stepped them in and for now they are loving the new light.
I'm not sure I agree with the genetics bit, some genetics are incredible just more susceptible to stress, some more to light some more to mould etc etc. Clearwater are incredible just known for not liking stress. The humbolt stuff is bullet proof apart from humidity lol.
When would you strip?

I've only had one plant outta dozens that Hermes from stress. I'm pretty rough with my plants too. Hard temp swings, cold nights...etc. Any way, a good guideline would be day 21 and 49, for full strip of basically anything you can get at without damaging the buds. All fans.

I've only had one plant outta dozens that Hermes from stress. I'm pretty rough with my plants too. Hard temp swings, cold nights...etc. Any way, a good guideline would be day 21 and 49, for full strip of basically anything you can get at without damaging the buds. All fans.
Could you suggest a couple strains to run that I can get from seed that are bullet proof but proper naughty?
I've just lost one plant to hermie tonight and it was one of the temperamental clear water genetics strains. Totally out the blue.

Back
Top Bottom