How long til amber ya think?

Any guesses on how much longer til amber? Day 60 since 12/12. Grandaddy purple clone (blimburn).

I know pics arent great but best i could do. And i think you can see some trichomes clearly.

Whatcha think?

9B8BDB40-52B5-4B41-90DC-140BD2F60485.jpeg

C9930667-D2DC-4935-8294-85950464120A.png

593BBD09-B3D0-4057-B2F9-795181D48D3B.jpeg
From what I'm seeing I see a lot of clear a little ways to go

This is the grandaddy purple. Yes, its foxtailed, but had a rough life and was in ICU for weeks. Its getting time to harvest soon. Ive always tried to base ripeness by trichomes and am deficient in knowledge re: judging by red hairs %. Im also guessing the foxtailing could deceive a novice such as myself. Any opinions (on ripeness/harvest, not foxtail) are appreciated.
Check the trichomes — a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe will. Best guide I've seen on this is a DeBacco video, first one in the list of hits.
The only other indicator I've seen is that some growers go by the percentage of red stigmas curling and the counter argument to that is that there are some strains where the stigmas turn early. For me, I go by trichs turning amber.

I'd really like to see a "blind tasting" of cannabis that's been chopped at different levels of trichome maturity but that's for a different thread… :)

Amber gives you couch lock if you want to get stuck to your couch. Lmao personally I don't do the Amber I don't want to go to sleep if I don't want to get stuck to where I don't want to do nothing. I like my good energetic buzz. But to each its own closer you get to harvest and ripening time the more amber you get have you droughted any at all?
Thanks for the reply. I grow for myself and a couple of others. The other two are seeking sleep assistance and pain mgmt. im good either way. As for “droughting,” no. I have starved her for last couple of days and just ro water. Considering shutting lights off tomorrow and leaving that way for 2-3 days. Ive never done the dark before harvest thing but am considering it. Im thinking its pretty close to harvest time so… just like to get other opinions.

Im just wondering about opinions based on red hairs for those who choose that method of determination. Im aware of trichomes and, as i stated, have always relied thereupon. My latest post was to inquire as to opinions based on eyes vs mag glass and hairs vs trichs.

Thanks for your replies

yes I realized the trich pics were old, that would have been early harvest for sure, when majority of pistils turn dark and crinkle in it’s time to scope.…

I hate looking thru scope too, but I cut tiny section of top calyx and lay on table then prop viewing device for stability. Any slight movement hits me like a gut punch. I have 30/60 X jewelers loupe and 1000 X wifi scope (about $35 clams) does better job plus I can view images on tablet

yes I realized the trich pics were old, that would have been early harvest for sure, when majority of pistils turn dark and crinkle in it’s time to scope.…

I hate looking thru scope too, but I cut tiny section of top calyx and lay on table then prop viewing device for stability. Any slight movement hits me like a gut punch. I have 30/60 X jewelers loupe and 1000 X wifi scope (about $35 clams) does better job plus I can view images on tablet
I have a loupe and an amazon handheld telescope that takes pics but youre right… its near impossible unless you use telescope stand and cut a small bit.

image.jpg

they slow down feeding / drinking or quit entirely when done. that was the old school way of telling.

most would try time chop to hit just before that point, as it was usually a bit better. that's where watching the pistil colours, and eventually the trichs started.

even watching trichs won't work on some high power sativas if you wait for 10% amber. there are a few that only get milky with very very few amber, even on the sugar leaves.

Milky with 10% amber is my rule of thumb, I've had strains that hairs are brown weeks before harvest time and always go by trichomes, lots of different answers here so must be a personal taste thing as much as any. All milky 1 to 2 weeks away roughly.

Back
Top Bottom