How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Used a mixture of carbed and non-carbed oils- which I was happy to see others have tried - don’t really know if it helped but at least can say it did no harm.
The acidic cannabinoids have great promise in their own right. CBD-a, for example, is known to be absorbed 5-10 times better than its heated counterpart CBD, and is also more potent, at least in mice. I'd imagine the same is true for THC-a, although there are limited studies.

The CBD-a does not counteract the high of THC as CBD does, so that might be of benefit to those who want that but it is much stronger than CBD for such things as nausea, anxiety, pain, etc.

Combining them with their heated counterparts increases effectiveness.

Benefits of Acidic Cannabinoids

Using a controlled process we convert THC acid into active THC and potentiate the medicinal qualities and refine the cannabis medicine concentrating the healing essences.
We need a different and better word than activate for the decarb process as the acidic versions are very much beneficial in their own right and, in fact might be even better for some things. Combined with the decarbed versions they are probably better medicine as they contain many more of the compounds that are evaporated at fairly low temps or destroyed in the prolonged heating process of making the standard oil.

Regardless of of the pot's THC content there are still many more cannabinoids in the oil unless it's an isolate.
Capturing the terpines and flavonoids from the acidic versions of THC, CBD, and CBG, can only add to the medical benefits of the standard oil.

Barely over 1g in 1ml/cc my friend. I have 2 full 3cc syringes here and one empty but used one of the same kind. The new ones hit 6.41 and 6.44g with the used one coming in at 3.49g but has a bit of residue in it so would probably be 0.1g less if cleaned and re-weighed.

After subtracting the weight of the used one the weight of the oil was 2.92 and 2.95g so with the 0.1added they're just over 1g by a hair. Really clean oil might be a bit heavier but no more than a few percent.

:peace:
Thanks Labrat/OldMedUser,:thanks:
I knew that.:ciao: Not sure where I went off , but thanks for the check. We need to keep each other accurate.

:Namaste:

What is the potency in mg of the CCO, say per teaspoon?

When I extract into a carrier oil I try to stuff 2 grams of flower into each tablespoon of oil. So, for a 15% strain that's 2x150mg = 300mg per tablespoon or 100mg per teaspoon.

I know the pure CCO is a much higher concentration but I'm trying to visualize the difference.

Asked another way, how much CCO would one get from 2 grams of flower? (Or scale it any way you'd like.)

Hi Azimuth,
I'm a little gun shy after my weight blunder a few posts ago, but this seems straight forward.
I average about 4ml./ounce. 2 grams = 1/14 of an ounce. 1/14 of 4 = 4/14 So slightly more than 1/4 gram (about 1/4ml.+).
Would someone with a math background please confirm this calculation ?
Thank you.

What is the potency in mg of the CCO, say per teaspoon?

When I extract into a carrier oil I try to stuff 2 grams of flower into each tablespoon of oil. So, for a 15% strain that's 2x150mg = 300mg per tablespoon or 100mg per teaspoon.

I know the pure CCO is a much higher concentration but I'm trying to visualize the difference.

Asked another way, how much CCO would one get from 2 grams of flower? (Or scale it any way you'd like.)
Going by your last sentence I can say that my avg yield of oil is ~ 7g oil per 28g of flower, obviously depends on strain as well so this avg is primarily based on my blue dream results. That means I’ve been getting about 1\4 yield which also equates to 500mg per 2g.

Capturing the terpines and flavonoids from the acidic versions of THC, CBD, and CBG, can only add to the medical benefits of the standard oil.

I totally agree. Those elements of cannabis are so often overlooked and lost during improper handling/processing of pot meant to be used medicinally.

You oil can be enhanced through the addition of select terpenes that can be purchased in purified form to gain more of the effect you are after.

KnowYourTerps1.jpg

Hi Azimuth,
I'm a little gun shy after my weight blunder a few posts ago, but this seems straight forward.
I average about 4ml./ounce. 2 grams = 1/14 of an ounce. 1/14 of 4 = 4/14 So slightly more than 1/4 gram (about 1/4ml.+).
Would someone with a math background please confirm this calculation ?
Thank you.

I've had math up to and including calculus but that was over 30 years ago. Maybe I'm over-tired but I'm having trouble grokking what you are trying to calculate there.

You go from your 4ml/oz - 4g/oz which I assume is the amount of oil you get from an oz of pot then switch to 2g for some reason. The mixture of metric and imperial also confuses the issue tho I am fluent in both having grown up with Canadian imperial measure then spending 3 years in my 30s in school for chemistry using only metric.

At the end you have 1/4g as 1/4ml which is correct with oil being 1g/ml.

The acidic cannabinoids have great promise in their own right. CBD-a, for example, is known to be absorbed 5-10 times better than its heated counterpart CBD, and is also more potent, at least in mice. I'd imagine the same is true for THC-a, although there are limited studies.

The CBD-a does not counteract the high of THC as CBD does, so that might be of benefit to those who want that but it is much stronger than CBD for such things as nausea, anxiety, pain, etc.

Combining them with their heated counterparts increases effectiveness.

Benefits of Acidic Cannabinoids

We need a different and better word than activate for the decarb process as the acidic versions are very much beneficial in their own right and, in fact might be even better for some things. Combined with the decarbed versions they are probably better medicine as they contain many more of the compounds that are evaporated at fairly low temps or destroyed in the prolonged heating process of making the standard oil.

100% agree, thanks for this!

When I’m talking with someone skeptical I focus on what worked for me, am open and honest about the less successful results I’ve witnessed, and spend a lot of time sharing everything I can about how cannabis oil has never caused any negative side effects in my years of using it. In a nutshell I can’t promise you anything but I’d be willing to bet my life it will never cause any harm. Can’t hurt to try it!

I've had math up to and including calculus but that was over 30 years ago. Maybe I'm over-tired but I'm having trouble grokking what you are trying to calculate there.

You go from your 4ml/oz - 4g/oz which I assume is the amount of oil you get from an oz of pot then switch to 2g for some reason. The mixture of metric and imperial also confuses the issue tho I am fluent in both having grown up with Canadian imperial measure then spending 3 years in my 30s in school for chemistry using only metric.

At the end you have 1/4g as 1/4ml which is correct with oil being 1g/ml.

The 2g of bud is what Azimuth wanted in each tablespoon.
The mixture of metric and imperial is confusing ? Let me simplify : 1 ounce = 28 grams (I know....it's approximate).
I've also had 3 semesters of college calculus.
I grew up in the USA where we use both metric and imperial (for 77 years).
In my 7 years of college and 3 degrees, we use both metric and imperial so we can deal with anyone anywhere in the world.

Going by your last sentence I can say that my avg yield of oil is ~ 7g oil per 28g of flower, obviously depends on strain as well so this avg is primarily based on my blue dream results. That means I’ve been getting about 1\4 yield which also equates to 500mg per 2g.
It really raises the question of the strength of your oil if you get 7g of oil per ounce (28g) of bud. Have you had it tested?
I get about 4g of oil per 28g of bud and it's almost 80% cannabinoid. What solvent are you using ? It could just be that you have twice as strong pot as I do.

I totally agree. Those elements of cannabis are so often overlooked and lost during improper handling/processing of pot meant to be used medicinally.

You oil can be enhanced through the addition of select terpenes that can be purchased in purified form to gain more of the effect you are after.

KnowYourTerps1.jpg

What is your understanding of how terepenes interact with the natural healing pathways of the body?

What is your understanding of how terepenes interact with the natural healing pathways of the body?
Well, it is well known that things like the capsaicin terpene found in peppers targets the pain receptors in the body, the same receptors that certain terpenes target.

I would argue that the main difference in the effect different strains have is directly related to terpenes and maybe to a lesser extent flavonoids.

I tried PG and VG with and without terpenes. I never tried it with JUST terpenes.
Damn, so close !!!
Good luck LC.
Would give you my terpenes, but I've learned it's not good knowing where each other lives.
How much do they cost, I've forgotten ?

I tried PG and VG with and without terpenes. I never tried it with JUST terpenes.
Damn, so close !!!
Good luck LC.
Would give you my terpenes, but I've learned it's not good knowing where each other lives.
How much do they cost, I've forgotten ?

They aren't cheap, which is my hesitancy with trying this right now.

Very small amount for the price, but the amount to use is quite minimal from what I'm reading on how-to's and videos. I've made my own Rosin using a Rositek press, now I want to get practiced at making the liquid for the vapes. My attempts with the PG and the VG, are just okay. I am not happy with how they still separate on me. I will plug on and try to perfect it. LOL

I'm going to try it, just a matter of shelling out the funds.

They aren't cheap, which is my hesitancy with trying this right now.

Very small amount for the price, but the amount to use is quite minimal from what I'm reading on how-to's and videos. I've made my own Rosin using a Rositek press, now I want to get practiced at making the liquid for the vapes. My attempts with the PG and the VG, are just okay. I am not happy with how they still separate on me. I will plug on and try to perfect it. LOL

I'm going to try it, just a matter of shelling out the funds.
If you can get it in the cartridge without any thinners, I say that is the real test
The one I filled is still working with thick oil
Filled one the other night with pretty much shatter (was able to pick it off the silicon paper with a pin) heated & dripped into cartridge. Had to heat the glass (Good thing it is glass) to get it to flow to the bottom
Took a couple tries to get it into the coil but seems to work so far

IMG_5359.JPG
IMG_5361.JPG

IMG_4345.JPG

Darkens with air & age

If you can get it in the cartridge without any thinners, I say that is the real test
The one I filled is still working with thick oil
Filled one the other night with pretty much shatter (was able to pick it off the silicon paper with a pin) heated & dripped into cartridge. Had to heat the glass (Good thing it is glass) to get it to flow to the bottom
Took a couple tries to get it into the coil but seems to work so far

IMG_5359.JPG
IMG_5361.JPG

IMG_4345.JPG

Darkens with air & age
With the vape pens I'm currently reviewing, there is no way to just drip it in there. They are disposables. I'm using a syringe with blunt tip needle to inject it. So far it's doing okay, but I just don't like the separation of the PG/VG and rosin. I haven't been able to get it to stay emulsified. I'm fussy.....LOL

Back
Top Bottom