How to - Rosin Tech

The idea is pretty basic, heat it and press it.... Some people will probable make a lot of money selling their "new idea" rosin presses..... I'm thinking something like an electric heated hash press [cylinder type] could be used to melt keif and extrude it as rosin..
Looks like another project for, Projects from my shop thread... I only claim the ones that work... There are a large percentage of total flops... :wood:

I've mainly done presses with kief but I've been successful with several grades of bubble hash, shit trim, decent trim, good buds, fresh harvested, fresh frozen, that week after you wet trim but before it completely cures. It all yields something, it just varies. My biggest yields come from pure kief. So if you haven't already, pickup some 2x2 lumber and a roll of 100micron screen from ebay and kief whatever product you are using. If you cant build an enclosed box to catch the kief, then screen it over parchment paper. I dry everything for 10 days, then cure for a month before running it over the kief mesh.

Use a tshirt press, parchment paper, screens. If you are doing small runs, you can get the 100micron tea bags from Rosin-Tech and just throw a few nugs in and use a hair straightener. What made me switch to a press isn't the heat, it's the pressure. You have to maintain the heat AND pressure to get the best results.

I also use lower temperatures. Start at the lowest temp and pressure, then run batches until you find what works best for you. Some like glass shatter, some like wax, some like honey comb. It's all going to vary depending on the temp, pressure, and quality of starting product. Think of it as you would if you were processing with butane. You can get different BHO batches depending on the heat and how much you interfere with the product.

Initial investment is around 2-300 depending on the press you go with and if you build the kief box yourself.

Just about any heat press should work as long as you can dial in the lower temperatures and adjust pressure. Some presses won't let you adjust pressure.

T-Shirt Press
s-l1900.jpg

100micron screen roll
Rosin-Tech tea bags
TB_73_1024x1024.jpg

These pictures are stacked kief pressed without the use of a screen, prior to being pressed, the kief was run in the kief box 3 times. I'm a little OCD about filtering everything, so I run things multiple times before actually processing. It makes for the cleanest, best tasting product.

Also for those that are new to kiefing, take a credit card or your library card and gently sift the product over the screen to capture. You don't want too much pressure because you don't want to force the larger trichomes through the screen.

solventless-rosin2.JPG
solventless-rosin.JPG

I've mainly done presses with kief but I've been successful with several grades of bubble hash, shit trim, decent trim, good buds, fresh harvested, fresh frozen, that week after you wet trim but before it completely cures. It all yields something, it just varies. My biggest yields come from pure kief. So if you haven't already, pickup some 2x2 lumber and a roll of 100micron screen from ebay and kief whatever product you are using. If you cant build an enclosed box to catch the kief, then screen it over parchment paper. I dry everything for 10 days, then cure for a month before running it over the kief mesh.

Use a tshirt press, parchment paper, screens. If you are doing small runs, you can get the 100micron tea bags from Rosin-Tech and just throw a few nugs in and use a hair straightener. What made me switch to a press isn't the heat, it's the pressure. You have to maintain the heat AND pressure to get the best results.

I also use lower temperatures. Start at the lowest temp and pressure, then run batches until you find what works best for you. Some like glass shatter, some like wax, some like honey comb. It's all going to vary depending on the temp, pressure, and quality of starting product. Think of it as you would if you were processing with butane. You can get different BHO batches depending on the heat and how much you interfere with the product.

Initial investment is around 2-300 depending on the press you go with and if you build the kief box yourself.

Just about any heat press should work as long as you can dial in the lower temperatures and adjust pressure. Some presses won't let you adjust pressure.

T-Shirt Press
s-l1900.jpg

100micron screen roll
Rosin-Tech tea bags
TB_73_1024x1024.jpg

These pictures are stacked kief pressed without the use of a screen, prior to being pressed, the kief was run in the kief box 3 times. I'm a little OCD about filtering everything, so I run things multiple times before actually processing. It makes for the cleanest, best tasting product.

Also for those that are new to kiefing, take a credit card or your library card and gently sift the product over the screen to capture. You don't want too much pressure because you don't want to force the larger trichomes through the screen.

solventless-rosin2.JPG
solventless-rosin.JPG

this is great

Still no yield ... wasted over an OZ of three different stains so far.
I've tried every temp from 300 - 380f and press time from 2 seconds to 7 seconds.
I guess I just suck at this process!

JB,

If you saved the chips, try re hydrating them. It will take some time because they will be very dense.

I was playing around with it when I started getting short on meds to smoke. I was getting resin that was visible on the chips so the idea was to improve yield. I did not get much because there was not that much left in the bud. However, if the oils did not vaperize and escaped the parchment they should still be in the chips. If you took some weights or can take some now and after it should tell something. It is worth a try.

You might want to try ever clear also. If you go with ethyl, start out at around 160 and go up. The lower temps yield will be rather watery like at first and dry down rather quickly. I was working with such small amounts by the time I got to this point that I cannot say what to expect.

That is about as far as I got before I had to stop.

I did shake out some trim and have some more that is still trim. Depending on how long I keep a Mazar in flower and how much the rest of the trim makes, I may have some keif to play with soon.

I never know
canyon

dry bud?

trim?

All dried and cured bud, at least three months in the jar and it smokes great. I did try some fresh green nugs and trim, but all I got was steam blowing out of the parchment paper. I have more bud than I need for daily tack, and I thought this was a cool idea to try.

After my last tries last night, I have a hard tacky sheen stuck to the paper, but not enough to collect with a dabber. I'll keep trying though, I really want it to work for me and judging from the pictures posted, folks are very successful at this process. I guess I can't succeed at everything I try, where would be the fun and challenge in that?:thumb:

JB,

If you saved the chips, try re hydrating them. It will take some time because they will be very dense.

I was playing around with it when I started getting short on meds to smoke. I was getting resin that was visible on the chips so the idea was to improve yield. I did not get much because there was not that much left in the bud. However, if the oils did not vaperize and escaped the parchment they should still be in the chips. If you took some weights or can take some now and after it should tell something. It is worth a try.

You might want to try ever clear also. If you go with ethyl, start out at around 160 and go up. The lower temps yield will be rather watery like at first and dry down rather quickly. I was working with such small amounts by the time I got to this point that I cannot say what to expect.

That is about as far as I got before I had to stop.

I did shake out some trim and have some more that is still trim. Depending on how long I keep a Mazar in flower and how much the rest of the trim makes, I may have some keif to play with soon.

I never know
canyon

Canyon,
I did save all the pressed chips, they are hard as a rock! Probably about an ounce or so of buds that look like a steam roller passed through the field on harvest day! I was saving them for RSO making, but I have plenty oil ready for use so no need to make more for a couple of months. I just may try a soak in Ethyl, nothing to lose but some Everclear! I see the result pics and they make me keep wanting to figure out where I am failing in the process.

THanks
JB
:Namaste:

JB,

Try some lower temps and get back to us. Also try rolling a joint and crushing it.
This was from some very degraded keif.

8x6kief_oil.jpg
IMG_20150910_204138.jpg
IMG_20150910_204333.jpg

Hang in there, it is doable.

If you are tacking, I would be exploring this. I would think it would be a more pleasant treatment than RSO.

BHO is $50 to 60 a gram at dispensaries in NM. If you have the buds to spare and you are only tacking I would keep trying.

Best
canyon

JB,

You put up a reply while a was working on one.

I am starting to think you are vaporizing the oil. That is why I ask about the weights.

In any case you have me wanting to get back to playing with it. I have a Mazar that has been in flower for 42 days. I would like to give it a while before I start robbing buds off of it. However, I may have some kief to spare after I shake out another batch of trim.

I never know
canyon

Last night I fired up the Bentley and started trying a variety of material and heat.

Green buds were disappointing. I tried sandwiching balled up buds between some large pipe screens and got a little. I mostly managed to press the bud into the screens. I added an other bud and got a bit more but not as much as I hoped. I will try the remainder of a branch as it dries.

Dried buds were fairly consistent and had yields that would come close to the cannabinoid content as a guess. The dial temperature was varied between 200F and 250F with about 225 yielding something close to shatter but soft enough to work with at room temperature with out it popping off the paper . Most of this 'testing' was done with a bag of very dry street weed that smoked rather well as buds. However it was not very dense.

Next we got into the last of the keif. The yield was great and light amber. There was probably about half a gram that I rolled into two piner joints and crushed. Impressive quality with this method.

We also tried a few roaches. They need the scorched stuff removed. Other than that they make oil that is surprisingly smoke-able and plenty strong. good to excellent yield.

It is a few hours later than I started this post now. I shook out some more trim of assorted qualities. The B grade of the best of three jars was 1.6 grams. Just from guessing and making dabs it rendered a littler over half a gram.

Something encouraging, My son-in-law has a dab bar near his place in Ca. They mostly sell shatter and buds. But the owner was doing the flatiron thing and selling dabs off of the parchment.

Probably the best reason to try and try to perfect this process is that it is so much safer than anything to date.

I have friends here until Monday and will be doing more medical experiments. until then. If anything worth noting is discovered I will post.

This is what I am using and it is probably about 60 years old.
Best
canyon

IMG_20150907_091320.jpg

Thanks. Thats amazing and game changing how high quality this Errl is. Definetly gonna play around with it, been a Water Hash man for a while now

Fold the 25 micron screen you use to press the water hash dry after washing in half, and put some of your dried water hash into it, maybe a gram or two, then press the water hash. The result will be outstanding rosin. Very similar to the quality of the images and description of the kief being pressed in below posted comments. If you make a bit of water hash at a time, get a tshirt press and order some larger 25 micron bags made for this from freshheadies or another reputable vendor, or make your own, and press larger patches easily to get good sized yields. Youtube has a few cool videos on the topic.

Hi, I was wondering if you could shed some light on how to use the used flower "chips" to make cannaoil? Should I attempt to rehydrate them first or what? And how potent would you estimate they are? Like one pressed nug compared to an un pressed nug that's been decarbed.

Thanks for your time! :)

So it's been quiet here for a bit and I am new to the rosin train so I'm curious where people are at now.

This is what I've been finding may be best practices. Anyone here disagree or learn anything new to make this process better? And to be clear I've only tried this three times so far with mixed results.

- When using bud, smaller nugs are better .1 - .25 grams (allows the oil to clear the plant material easier).
- If the bud is a little dry, add a drop or two of water.
- Prepress the bud into flat discs without heat first.
- Use lower temperatures and press a little longer (temp will affect consistency [lower = more shatter-like] so you may have different preferences).
- Using a quick clamp to increase your pressure (assuming you are using a flat iron and not a press of some kind).

My first attempt was on some old pre-ground bud (no idea what it was). I just kind of put it loose on the parchment and pressed by hand at 300* F. Absolutely no output after three represses.

My second attempt was with more of the same old material. I added a drop of water and pre-pressed the material in a garlic press. Pressed for at least 10 seconds at 330* F with a quick clamp. Repressed two more times. Very dark output and tasted a little burnt, nasty flavor, but very effective when used.

My third attempt I used a nug (~.15 gram) at 230* F for about 7 seconds. Increased the temp to 280* F for the third press. Got a decent sized dab but haven't tried it yet. A nice golden color. Smells nice.

I'm also still trying to figure out if this will ultimately be worth it to me. Will I get the same amount of effective doses out of the rosin I press when compared to the original plant material? Time will tell.

I just stumbled on this thread through some google searching. I just received my Rosintech 5x5 press, and I picked up a few bags as well. 45um, 90um, and 120um. I just did a first test press with the 120um @ 280 degrees for 7 seconds and got a nice little tacky hit.

I am completely new to this and was looking for some temp and timing pointers for those that are using a heat press. I've heard as low as 220, but some say upwards of 300. That seems like a big swing in temps and getting kind of close to a burn at the 300+ mark.

Back
Top Bottom