How to - Rosin Tech

No I havent, and considering the process uses heat for extraction, I'm not sure of any possible benefits freezing may offer.
I have tried fresh buds. Slightly more difficult to press, but yield is good. Flavor reminds me more of full melt when pressing wet nugs.

When you say fresh buds, do you mean hours after harvest? I am trying to make some right now with some Auto Blue Diesel I harvest about 3 hours ago... Is that too soon? All I am getting on my parchment paper is water

Update.

Fresh Buds did not work for me, at all. They began to pop after three seconds of pressure and steam was shooting out both ends of the parchment paper. Worked a little better after drying for a couple hours... Didn't get anything but gunky water left on the parchment paper, and it smelt like shit haha :rofl:

Gonna give it another go today after 24 hours of drying.

Update.

Fresh Buds did not work for me, at all. They began to pop after three seconds of pressure and steam was shooting out both ends of the parchment paper. Worked a little better after drying for a couple hours... Didn't get anything but gunky water left on the parchment paper, and it smelt like shit haha :rofl:

Gonna give it another go today after 24 hours of drying.

Watching closing...

I want to ask whether this oil can be used in place of RSO oil ?
Is the better replacement of Rick Simpon oil ?

I personally wouldn't think it's fully decarbed and it often comes out as a shatter for me. I think if it under went further processing and fully decarbed, it would make a great tacking oil. Very clean on my end and some nugs seem to just keep pressing. :thumb:

Interesting idea.

I think I understand what you're doing with the flower, but are you making ice water hash and then pressing that too? What's the benefit of that?

My concern with this is all the particulates that come through, ie the little pieces of flower mixed in the oil. My switch to oil was primarily motivated by my desire to stop smoking the burning plant material. Seems like this technique might negate some of that benefit.

If you're getting 15-25% yields that's great! My BHO yields tends to hover around 15-20%.

So if this oil is already activated due to the heat, could you just eat it and feel the effects like an edible?

Interesting idea.

I think I understand what you're doing with the flower, but are you making ice water hash and then pressing that too? What's the benefit of that?

My concern with this is all the particulates that come through, ie the little pieces of flower mixed in the oil. My switch to oil was primarily motivated by my desire to stop smoking the burning plant material. Seems like this technique might negate some of that benefit.

If you're getting 15-25% yields that's great! My BHO yields tends to hover around 15-20%.

So if this oil is already activated due to the heat, could you just eat it and feel the effects like an edible?

Squishing hash is the best! Easy to dry sift with little concern for contaminates (plant material) then put in filter bag/screen and squish for amazing oil!

A good friend of mine makes Ice Wax here in Oregon. Him and his partner made the a bunch of awesome rosin from their non full melt grades of hash. Really cool way to waste less of the material.

I believe they were the first ones to make a drop of rosin at a dispensary here in the OR

:high-five:

I having real trouble getting any substantial yield from flower or kief. I am really trying to follow the above steps, but am geting little to know result. I do not wish to "waste" anymore, so I am going to stop now. ANy advice that has not been listed above would be wonderful.

This is a heated vulcanizing press used in the making of vulcanized rubber molds for wax injection... I have one in storage, not this model, but one much the same... I think i paid about $150 used.. It should be able to do more than a few grams at a time... Using the aluminum plates that are used when rubber molds are made you could stack them and do a couple layers at a time.... It's heated top and bottom Rio Economy Vulcanizer

Hmmm
I was excited to try this with 3 different strains ... but I guess I just don't have the technique down.
I'm just straightening buds with very little if anything on the parchment paper.
Oh yeah, the wife was less than thrilled that her hair iron went missing!

Best Of Buds
JB

This is a heated vulcanizing press used in the making of vulcanized rubber molds for wax injection... I have one in storage, not this model, but one much the same... I think i paid about $150 used.. It should be able to do more than a few grams at a time... Using the aluminum plates that are used when rubber molds are made you could stack them and do a couple layers at a time.... It's heated top and bottom Rio Economy Vulcanizer

I have one that is rather old that I have done some experimenting with on a limited scale.

If you are still following this thread give me a nod.

It is a lot of fun to play with and I do think it can be scaled up.

Best
canyon

Canyon,...I have nothing at this time to press... I do intend to follow through on this..... Was thinking it might be best to make up parchment papers and buds and cold press them flat at first... That way you wouldn't be dealing with loose buds... Preheating three aluminum plates, and using gloves to handle the heated plates, one could quickly assemble and press two sheets of buds at one time... The 5.5" x 6.5" aluminum plates could handle quite a few buds... The psi with a screw type press is considerable.... Hell of a lot more than a flat iron used for hair.... I'd be afraid of breaking it...

Dr Fish,

Cold pressing as a first step is a direction that is taking off. There is a company that is making a jug that you hit with a hammer that makes a puck. There is even a retailer selling different size hot press that has cropped up in the last two months. Someone thinks this is doable.

Do some searching while you are watching your plants grow. There is new info on the net every few days now.

Using a screen is another addition that is catching on. I am wondering if using the pressing screens is a good idea because of the heat.

I will not have enough bud to do much experimenting for a few weeks myself, probably more like just after the holidays.

Here are a few things I have tried;

Roaches yield rather well and are not as harsh as smoking them. They are good to try when starting, to get an idea of what to expect.

I did a little work with some keif, however it was so old and degraded that the extract did not have much of a kick. What I did try that worked rather well was to roll some keif in rolling paper (I used a roller) then pressing it.

Another direction I was exploring was green cut buds and lower temps. That looks promising with a press like we have.

I have a few posts on another thread and a few picks. I can go through them and add anything I missed. I did not get that far along before I had to put things on hold.

Best
canyon

Dr Fish,

Cold pressing as a first step is a direction that is taking off. There is a company that is making a jug that you hit with a hammer that makes a puck. There is even a retailer selling different size hot press that has cropped up in the last two months. Someone thinks this is doable.

Do some searching while you are watching your plants grow. There is new info on the net every few days now.

Using a screen is another addition that is catching on. I am wondering if using the pressing screens is a good idea because of the heat.

I will not have enough bud to do much experimenting for a few weeks myself, probably more like just after the holidays.

Here are a few things I have tried;

Roaches yield rather well and are not as harsh as smoking them. They are good to try when starting, to get an idea of what to expect.

I did a little work with some keif, however it was so old and degraded that the extract did not have much of a kick. What I did try that worked rather well was to roll some keif in rolling paper (I used a roller) then pressing it.

Another direction I was exploring was green cut buds and lower temps. That looks promising with a press like we have.

I have a few posts on another thread and a few picks. I can go through them and add anything I missed. I did not get that far along before I had to put things on hold.

Best
canyon

Great stuff, I think I'm gonna have to figure out some of this tech for myself in a realistic and imminent way.

The idea is pretty basic, heat it and press it.... Some people will probable make a lot of money selling their "new idea" rosin presses..... I'm thinking something like an electric heated hash press [cylinder type] could be used to melt keif and extrude it as rosin..
Looks like another project for, Projects from my shop thread... I only claim the ones that work... There are a large percentage of total flops... :wood:

Back
Top Bottom