How to stop buds getting that "buried smell" after getting buried for a few months?

Phillybonker

So i want to hide my stash by burying it and I was told it will develop a "buried smell" after about 4 months. I know to dig the buds up once a month and air em out, but my question is; can i somehow stop the buds from developing that "buried smell" people talk about?

I wish I know how that smell comes about in the first place.

Put it in a container before burying it, lol?

decarb the stuff,, zero problems with everything,, tho one loses the fine tastes and smells. but,, other bonuses,, one can eat the stuff and get fried,, haha

Put it in a container before burying it, lol?
I've never smelled the buried smell before but I assume it isn't a dirt smell. It will be in air tight jars. You make a very good point though.....how would air tight jars develop a buried smell when people can store their buds anywhere in air tight jars. Hmmmm

decarb the stuff,, zero problems with everything,, tho one loses the fine tastes and smells. but,, other bonuses,, one can eat the stuff and get fried,, haha
Thnaks for the suggestion but I don't want to lose the smell and taste, I'm kinda fussy:)

I've never smelled the buried smell before but I assume it isn't a dirt smell. It will be in air tight jars. You make a very good point though.....how would air tight jars develop a buried smell when people can store their buds anywhere in air tight jars. Hmmmm

There's a thread around here somewhere about cobs. No, not COBs, the LED lighting component, but cobs. Originally, it meant wrapping buds in something - like corn husks, or maybe some kind of large leaves - and then burying them for an extended period of time. But some people use a vacuum sealer device these days. I thought maybe you were meaning something like that. In other words, my above suggestion wasn't proffered as a smart-@ss, I misunderstood the question.

I didn't pay much attention to that thread, to be honest with you. A friend gave me one after it had been wrapped, compressed, fermented(?), and stored. I think it was an ounce, maybe 30 grams. Told me that if I chewed up a little piece and swallowed it, it'd f*ck my cookies up. Well, she used different language, but...

And I hadn't had any bud for quite a while, so I sawed a piece off, chewed... and chewed... and swallowed it. Farted around for a bit, waiting. Then I sawed off a larger piece. Rinse/lather/repeat. Hmm... I'd (thoroughly) chewed up and swallowed about a quarter of the thing - so about a quarter ounce of bud - to no effect. I then called a friend to come try it. He was pretty leery of it (you just had to see the thing to understand, I guess) - so I sawed off a piece and started chewing on it. He did, too. We kept at it, and kept at it...

...until we gave up and smoked what was left. That was a bowl's worth :rolleyes: .

At which point, I unsubscribed from the thread - because I can think of more enjoyable ways to waste a lid of bud ;) . But if you're expecting to harvest such a large quantity that you think you'll have to end up burying some of it, maybe you'd get a kick out of experimenting. IDK. I'll see if I can dig up a link to the thread...

Found it:

The thought just occurred to me that maybe the person who told you about this thing either didn't know how to properly cure his bud, didn't know to not put it into long term storage when the moisture content was too high, or both. Ask the person if the "dirt smell" is vaguely like ammonia, lol.

Only thing I can think of is if it isn't dry enough it could pick up a "musty" smell that you would get whether it was buried or sitting on a shelf. But if in some sort of air tight packaging I can't see how it could pick up a smell, unless you container is permeable at which point it is not "air tight" anyway ;)

Unless it has something to do with temperature fluctuations being in the ground outside, as temp inside my house where I store it is in a short range of variance. Maybe someone come along that has buried it before. Personally I would come up with another way to "hide it", as digging it up every month to air them out kinda would bring more attention to it I would think.

lol back to the 80's. :p

local jamaican crew used to bury large stashes. bagged, wrapped, then taped - then double bagged in black plastic and taped again, then buried. smaller loads were bagged, wrapped, taped, then placed in coolers and buried. this was for security, it was not a cob process at all. some of the weed on the outsides may get musty, but 90% did not. usually it wasn't down there long enough to worry

Just long enough for the plane to get back from hauling the previous load?

they had a couch of all things shipped, stuffed to the brim... :cheesygrinsmiley:

there was loads of other ways. they were super ingenious.

Lol shovels and flashlights in the forest at night might indeed attract a higher level of attention

Yeah what I was thinking.... why are we burying flowers again?? Just curious.

I wood think all the digging and un-digging wood attract more attention than just hiding your stash somewhere safe.

Yeah what I was thinking.... why are we burying flowers again?? Just curious.

I wood think all the digging and un-digging wood attract more attention than just hiding your stash somewhere safe.

it defeats dogs. one of the few things that does.
when they come knocking they're not bringing pets. :peace:

There's a thread around here somewhere about cobs. No, not COBs, the LED lighting component, but cobs. Originally, it meant wrapping buds in something - like corn husks, or maybe some kind of large leaves - and then burying them for an extended period of time. But some people use a vacuum sealer device these days. I thought maybe you were meaning something like that. In other words, my above suggestion wasn't proffered as a smart-@ss, I misunderstood the question.

I didn't pay much attention to that thread, to be honest with you. A friend gave me one after it had been wrapped, compressed, fermented(?), and stored. I think it was an ounce, maybe 30 grams. Told me that if I chewed up a little piece and swallowed it, it'd f*ck my cookies up. Well, she used different language, but...

And I hadn't had any bud for quite a while, so I sawed a piece off, chewed... and chewed... and swallowed it. Farted around for a bit, waiting. Then I sawed off a larger piece. Rinse/lather/repeat. Hmm... I'd (thoroughly) chewed up and swallowed about a quarter of the thing - so about a quarter ounce of bud - to no effect. I then called a friend to come try it. He was pretty leery of it (you just had to see the thing to understand, I guess) - so I sawed off a piece and started chewing on it. He did, too. We kept at it, and kept at it...

...until we gave up and smoked what was left. That was a bowl's worth :rolleyes: .

At which point, I unsubscribed from the thread - because I can think of more enjoyable ways to waste a lid of bud ;) . But if you're expecting to harvest such a large quantity that you think you'll have to end up burying some of it, maybe you'd get a kick out of experimenting. IDK. I'll see if I can dig up a link to the thread...

Found it:
Yeah I've read about the Malawi method but I don't want to risk messing up the process and ruining my weed. It sounds like you're friend tried and did just that, messed up the process and ruined the weed.

The thought just occurred to me that maybe the person who told you about this thing either didn't know how to properly cure his bud, didn't know to not put it into long term storage when the moisture content was too high, or both. Ask the person if the "dirt smell" is vaguely like ammonia, lol.
I'll make note of that. Needs to be dried and cured properly before long-term storage. Thanks

There are companies that make odor-proof plastic bags; I use them for food storage when backpacking and have never had a "critter" problem. Even a dog treat sealed in one of these bags cannot be smelled by my dog. I also use them around home for stashing weed. The challenge is remembering where I stashed the bags of weed! But I'm thinking if the bags keep odors in, they'll keep odors out. I'd place properly cured weed in one of these bags, place the bag in some kind of container so the bag isn't in direct contact with the soil (plastic does deteriorate over time), and bury the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom