Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Hyena Harvest! That's awesome! How long was the veg/flower total if you have notes. I gotta chop soon too, just waiting for a bit of amber . Killer op, killer journal, keep up the great work Hyena!

Hey Jesse,

Yes, these freaking plants take FOREVER and the higher temps in my grow lab didn't help.

I am at 102 days since the flip and that's Sativa for you...

Next run will be some familiar names and faster buds!

Peace, Hyena

Happy Saturday! Hope you are going to have the best weekend ever!

Next to last report on Project 25! Because it's done. :yummy:

I finally chopped everything about four days ago, it took about five hours to cut and manicure all the very-long and extremely bushy colas. Like always, the usually-pristine grow room looks like a shit bomb went off when you chop. It's messy, sweaty, and tiring. Plus I have to sneak up there to do it but hey, what's new?

It's lonely when it's over...

20170821_105144.jpg

As expected, there are a ton of long, bushy colas. The sustained higher heat level literally changed the growth pattern of the plants. Nevertheless, it seems like a lot of fruit. At least 1 1/2 pounds of top colas dry. If it's potent and tastes good I'll be very happy. Tests indicate yes to both.

It all hung for four days until crispy and this morning I took it all down to remain in closed containers for another 2-3 days to sort of re-hydrate a little. It all filled two large plastic tubs.

20170826_063209.jpg

Each plastic tub is 30 inches long to give you some idea of the massive cola size.

It's really beautiful and colorful. However, it's simply not as frosty as it would have been in a 10-15 degrees cooler environment but hey, there are limitations to things and this time around I still couldn't get an AC system that would do the complete job under such demanding conditions. At least the unit I used worked enough to keep the project viable.

I learned a few important things this run, which I will expand upon in the next installment along with the smoke report. I really believe I will be a better all-around grower going forward. I also believe I will need to solve some technical environmental issues to have a project next summer.

So, I'm keeping it short today in lieu of a more expansive analysis in a few days plus a detailed smoke report. I tend to go bonkers with the smoking during these first few post-harvest days so when I wake up I will pen the results. I promise.

Peace, Hyena

Great Journal, Hyena. Beautiful plants, great stories, and much wisdom. Fun learning experience, overall. Looking forward to your next grow.

Bode

Great Journal, Hyena. Beautiful plants, great stories, and much wisdom. Fun learning experience, overall. Looking forward to your next grow.

Bode

Thank you. Stay tuned...there might be a slight pause but about to wow everybody with the next round I promise.

Peace, Hyena

WELL....here it is. The final report on PROJECT 25.

First, I must say nothing in life goes exactly according to plan. We learn and grow mostly by trying and often failing. There are a lot of standards by which to judge the success of things, but in the end the most important one, the only one that really matters, is your own. If I can learn some valuable things that will help me be a better grower for the rest of time, and it costs me some finished product, I can live with that deal.

By that measure I look at Project 25 as a success.

My growing setup and techniques are at this point pretty solid. The end volume of this cannabis harvest is prodigious, about 2 pounds of just top colas plus almost another pound of smaller buds, everything bone-dry.

So the quantity of the harvest is pretty good.

Here's just one pile of colas, averaging about 12-18 inches long:

20170831_092155.jpg

There are eight piles like this one of just big, long, brushy colas.

The real value of this project was to gain a greater understanding of the critical importance of overall heat control, especially the necessity of maintaining an under-80-degree environment. The 85-90 degree heat issue through the final two months of this grow significantly altered the way these mostly-sativa plants flowered. They seemed to enter a strange combination of flower production and vegetative growth, the flowers continuing to grow but in long, simgle-bloom-wide chains instead of developing thickness.

Nearly all buds look the same:

20170831_092801.jpg
20170831_092816.jpg

The buds kept growing but simply never finished in the traditional sense, since I had no amber trichomes at harvest but the plants were literally dying from old age. And apparently the higher average temps during a lot of the bloom phase prevented the amazing frostation and high terpine concentrations of the last few rounds.

I flowered them for over 110 days which frankly is ridiculous...I could have done two grows in the time it took for this one to give me results. That's one big reason I now hesitate to continue this strain line, in particular my goal of making seeds has been put on hold until I have another frosty success like the previous several grows. I plan to include a few Hyenas in the next round but merely to see that they will adequately bulk and frost under better temps, giving me the ultra-amazing buds I got last Christmas and still stand as the overall best weed I have ever tasted.

The smoke report is good if not great...

First, the quality of these odd-looking horsetail buds is very good. It gets you really high, and the buzz is pure sativa...all head and your body doesn't even feel like you smoked. It's easily on par with the Oakland OG nd Blueberry Headband I've been smoking lately as far as strength is concerned (though yes I realize those two are 100% Indica and 50-50 respectively so I'm not comparing the exact same thing) I simply mean this weed, puff for puff, gets you just as stoned, just as fast, as anything.

My big disappointment is the taste. It's a shame that the tasty little terpines were somewhat blunted by the heat issue, because this stuff simply doesn't have the amazing fruity taste of previous incarnations, especially the Blue Hyena which represents half the grow. As further proof heat is the culprit, the branches that were a little lower taste better and have a more aromatic smell.

So I give the whole thing a "B". Naturally I'm pleased I have about two year's smoke in the cabinet, but I wish it were a little more shareable. And a little tastier but that's okay. I can live with it.

Here's a little bouquet of some of my best buds, with a full-size lighter for scale.

20170831_093457.jpg

Want love? :love: Give your girl this for Valentines Day.

The Hyenas will rise again. Meanwhile, what's next...?

I don't know yet.

I'm still looking at my over-thirty-strain seed bank, and I think I'm going to just do a run of the popular varieties discussed earlier on this thread, including Jack Herrer, Original Skunk, Holy Grail, Critical Kush, Blueberry...I will take this weekend to think about it and try to match up some faster-flowering choices so we have frosty piles of buds by Christmas...

I will post the beginning of next week and we'll start Project 26 together.

I really appreciate everybody who reads this journal and shares the love here. Thank you for being here.

I promise more fun, frosty budz and smarmy observations next time. Stay tuned!

Until then,

Peace, Hyena

Hey hyena are you exhausting out of the grow? Even if you can just get a window fan up there in the attic it will cure a lot of heat issues. Also I find that lime helps with just about every issue I have. It keeps my plants so healthy that they withstand the heat much better. I've since switched to led but I noticed a huge difference by exhausting and adding lime to my soil when I transplant. Unless your in hydro that is. In which I would recommend adding z7 to your res. It'll clean up the root zone and help keep it really active and healthy which in turn will help with heat issues.

You did well givin the heat issues, i've been dealing with high temps this summer and its not been optimal to say the least but with fall coming soon i have higher expectations. I'm sure the Hyenas will do much better this fall and winter.

Well, here goes:

WELCOME TO PROJECT 26

For those who read my adventures, here comes a new one with more familiar strains and the usual amount of irreverent and pithy commentary on all manner of things (but mainly growing). :love:

From the beginning I will be trying some new things. I'm lazy and a stoner (unrelated I'm sure) so I cleaned and prepped the 9 grow buckets a few days ago by ripping out the old plants and any chunks of root material, then topping off each bucket with a little fresh perlite. That's all. I said I'm lazy. :smokin:

Then I ran the fresh water in the reservoir for about 3 days on its regular 3-times-a-day for 15 minutes a session as if there were plants in the pots, just to freshen and oxygenate the standing water in the bottoms of the buckets.

Today I selected my seeds and got a bag of fresh rooter plugs, the same ones I always use, no brand name, just something my hydro store sells 20 to a bag and made of some spongy brown material that seeds just seem to thrive in.

20170901_123847.jpg

I added a very tiny bit of nutes to the reservoir, just enough to give the water some quality, dipped the plugs in the solution, and poked two seeds into each plug.

Then I simply stuck a plug in each pot, literally planting them like you would plant in the garden.

20170901_123746.jpg

This medium retains a surprising amount of moisture and I just positioned each water line next to a plug. Whoop, there it is! Instant weed garden!

I hope!

I am going away for the weekend so this is a perfect time to bet on Mother Nature. No sprouting the seeds, nothing. Millions of years of hardy evolution is my horse. There are two seeds in each plug. Let's see what happens!

20170901_123757.jpg

This time around, I am of course going with some Hyenas, in this take it will be:

-Blue Hyena Generation 3, a cross/cross/cross of fairly certain lineage. Who knows how they will be, the Hyenas were an accident in the first place and a fun little pack to chase around. 2 buckets.

-Jack Herrer...the legendary man and the legendary strain named for him. 2 buckets.

-Blueberry...can't wait! Fruit is good for you... 2 buckets.

-Amnesia Haze. I forgot what I was going to say about it... 2 buckets.

-Holy Grail. It is my quest indeed. 1 bucket.

20170901_123820.jpg

So, there it is. The ultra-lazy-man's way to free weed by the bushel. Look long and hard at this picture...by Christmas this space will be packed with the frostiest and most juicy buds you have ever seen.

You realize if this works I will never, ever do any of that sprouting and nursery bullshit again. Ever. :tommy:

See you next week. Maybe a baby...?

Peace, Hyena

I feel like I'm having Project 25 blues. I cranked up the overflow tent so I can start 12/12 next week and already battling heat. Oh well.

Great job on the sativas even though it didn't go as planned. I hope you got good seeds for the Jack Herer and the Blueberry. I know you'll love the JH. I've never had a true BB so I'll wait on the finish.

Congrats and all. :bongrip:

Looking forwar to the next chapter and i know they will b jus as good as all the rest!! When u come back from your weekend trip m sure you will have all your babies to tend too. If both seeds sprout in every jiffy whats your plans? Still waiting for the Hyena seed project! But hey watching and learning from chapter 26 will be jus as good. Thats what this forum is for to learn. Not to doubt criticize jus positive vibes!! Good luck and i will be around till the end of the chapter!! Hope you have fun on your Labor Day trip!!

Right now, I am running DWC (bucket air stone)
However, I would like to clone your setup.
I see you changed your drippers in the buckets from project 21. (Why?)
Do you have a link to similar drippers like your new ones on eBay / amazon?

I haven't found something like (5-gal paint strainers) in any hardware stores that I have been in.
So again, is it like: 5 Gallon Elastic Opening Strainer Bags 24 Pieces
Are they reusable? Is the elastic "broken" by the water?

Last, what kind of water pump and pressure are you using?
I enjoy reading your epic grow adventure ;)

Woohoo! Project 26! You going with the 400W HPS and "1000W" LED again?

Actually, yes...for now. I am seriously thinking about an all-LED setup but with high temps not going to be an issue for 2 grows, I definitely want the MH/HPS light availability and the useful heat it brings in Fall and especially Winter.

Going to the 600W bulb also.

Thanks for being here.

Peace, Hyena

Back
Top Bottom