I need a UV light to kill chloramines

Hey thanks for the reply. I understand that the chloramine content in my water is safe for consumption. I just got into the hobby of growing weed and as such, had no idea where to start. I was going to use coco coir as a complete noob, but was advised to go the more easier route and buy soil. So I decided to employ PROMIX soil (OMRI listed) as my chosen medium.

I have been considering all these different packaged/dry/bottled 'nutrients' and then someone told me about this wonderful world of organics and 'super soil.' So that's where I'm at right now, contemplating my next move. I'm going to go all 100% organic for my next grow or the one after that. I'm already devising what to put into my soil/ACT concoctions to brew. And being that they've said to use NON chlorinated water for tea, that's where I'm at right now.

I have really bad OCD, and if I can 'burn' these things out of my water content it's going to put my mind at some mighty ease. I should think chloramines aren't exactly 'organic' if you know what I mean and being that I'm dead set on creating the best tasting, best grown bug imaginable, I'd like to grow without these things if possible. Kind of like go big or go home, if you know what I mean.

I want to go all the way, 100% organic EVERYTHING
Look up "Coot's Mix", it is a Organic soil recipe. Also look into getting a 5 stage reverse osmosis system and adding a chloramine filter that I mentioned above.

Technically, it's all organic - it's a carbon thing.

So that's where I'm at right now, contemplating my next move. I'm going to go all 100% organic for my next grow or the one after that.
Ah, the conundrum of the ages. Been there my self.

Going 100% organic can sometimes be harder than it seems. Being 100% means having to check and double check everything that goes into the growing operation to be sure it meets the standard. Up to you but sometimes it feels like trying to grow naturally is so much easier. Easier because the grower uses natural and/or ingredients without stressing that every ingredient meet a definition of "organic" and "organic input" and whatever other 'organic' word seems popular that day.

The chloramine is a good example. Chlormines are made from chloride and ammonia and both of those are naturally occurring and could be considered organic inputs by themselves. Mixing the two together in water happens in nature all the time. What is not natural is the volume of water affected and the concentrations as far as I can tell.

As the TorturedSoul says.....
Technically, it's all organic - it's a carbon thing.
Beautiful day out so I should get my act in gear quickly and work on the gardens. Enjoy the day.

I decided to employ PROMIX soil (OMRI listed) as my chosen medium.

technically not a soil. it's a peat based media. there are a few different versions. hp is the type most often associated with cannabis growing. it will be susceptible to water borne issues.

I have been considering all these different packaged/dry/bottled 'nutrients' and then someone told me about this wonderful world of organics and 'super soil.' So that's where I'm at right now, contemplating my next move. I'm going to go all 100% organic for my next grow or the one after that. I'm already devising what to put into my soil/ACT concoctions to brew. And being that they've said to use NON chlorinated water for tea, that's where I'm at right now.

it's a good idea. there are no water issues in that approach.

The chloramine is a good example. Chlormines are made from chloride and ammonia and both of those are naturally occurring and could be considered organic inputs by themselves. Mixing the two together in water happens in nature all the time. What is not natural is the volume of water affected and the concentrations as far as I can tell.

absolutely correct.

or, you can chose to ignore it. Chlorine is actually one of the 19 elements that these plants need and we need to learn to not be so afraid of it. Unless you are growing organically by actually using microbes to feed your plants, you don't even have to worry about it. And even if you are growing organically, as long as you have a method that is regularly bringing in fresh microbes (geoflora does it with each 2 week application), whether it be special targeted microbes brewed in a specialized tea, or via one of the numerous microbial inoculation products now available, you can use plain old unmodified and unfiltered tap water, with all of its mineral content. Tap water is actually better for your plants than filtered water in most cases. The chlorine levels in our drinking/tap water are very weak, and using it will not take out a whole lot of the microbes. Steady use of it over time can kill a water only supersoil grow though, but this can be offset if there is a means of bringing in more microbes on a regular basis. Today, that is easy. It is a whole lot easier to go this route than investing the money, space and hassle into setting up your own filtration system and then hauling that water to the grow area.

or, you can chose to ignore it.

i feel it's mostly a dwc issue. even then, i can't see it interfering in a sterile res approach, only a live. should be fine in most other media unless it's excessive really.

we'll probably hear about it as more and more municipal systems switch.

I was going to use coco coir as a complete noob, but was advised to go the more easier route and buy soil. So I decided to employ PROMIX soil (OMRI listed) as my chosen medium.
As @bluter mentioned already, the Promix is not a soil. Need to add a bunch of other stuff to that.
then someone told me about this wonderful world of organics and 'super soil.'
Wonderful! That's what I grow in as well. It is a worthwhile venture. Lots to learn and a whole lot of control that is given to the power of microbiology.
I have really bad OCD, and if I can 'burn' these things out of my water content it's going to put my mind at some mighty ease. I should think chloramines aren't exactly 'organic' if you know what I mean and being that I'm dead set on creating the best tasting, best grown bug imaginable, I'd like to grow without these things if possible. Kind of like go big or go home, if you know what I mean.

I want to go all the way, 100% organic EVERYTHING
It is a perspective in your mind that needs to recalculated IMO. Don't fret! Lots of OCD folks here that grow in soil.

@Emilya already said it. You could likely use straight tap water and the impact of those drenches on your microbes will be incredibly low. I know you don't want to do that. You also don't need to recreate a state of the art mini water treatment facility in your home.

So being that you recognize your OCD, I'm sure you know how much you can overthink some things and let others completely scurry past your thoughts. This one doesn't seem to be scurrying past you. So I come back to the idea of trying to reprogram the thought that is making you believe your water quality is major factor to the quality of your buds.

As @bluter mentioned already, the Promix is not a soil. Need to add a bunch of other stuff to that.

Wonderful! That's what I grow in as well. It is a worthwhile venture. Lots to learn and a whole lot of control that is given to the power of microbiology.

It is a perspective in your mind that needs to recalculated IMO. Don't fret! Lots of OCD folks here that grow in soil.

@Emilya already said it. You could likely use straight tap water and the impact of those drenches on your microbes will be incredibly low. I know you don't want to do that. You also don't need to recreate a state of the art mini water treatment facility in your home.

So being that you recognize your OCD, I'm sure you know how much you can overthink some things and let others completely scurry past your thoughts. This one doesn't seem to be scurrying past you. So I come back to the idea of trying to reprogram the thought that is making you believe your water quality is major factor to the quality of your buds.
So you mean to tell me I cannot use this vegetable and herb mix for marijuana? It's got nearly identical ingredients to regular soil PRO-MIX Organic Vegetable & Herb Mix

So you mean to tell me I cannot use this vegetable and herb mix for marijuana? It's got nearly identical ingredients to regular soil PRO-MIX Organic Vegetable & Herb Mix

that's not the cannabis mix. you can grow cannabis in it though, however it's too hot for seedlings and will be depleted my mid veg. you'll have to watch for the hand off and feed part way through the grow til the end.

i use that mix with hp for my mom's outdoor hydro garden. we also feed it all through the summer too.

that's not the cannabis mix. you can grow cannabis in it though, however it's too hot for seedlings and will be depleted my mid veg. you'll have to watch for the hand off and feed part way through the grow til the end.

i use that mix with hp for my mom's outdoor hydro garden. we also feed it all through the summer too.
I'm using PROMIX's seed starting mix for my seedlings, not using that medium for my seedlings. PRO-MIX Organic Seed Starting Mix (I had to pay triple the MSRP on Amazon to get the OMRI seed starting mix for some reason)

I'm planning to transplant my seedlings into the herb and vegetable once they're ready.

For this grow I'm doing it 100% bare minimum, soil only, no nutrients whatsoever. Soil, light and water (occassionally). I want to get my feet wet so to speak as the last time I ever transplanted anything was in '99 for a science class. My next grow I'm thinking of using Fox Farm and their synthetic bottle line, but super soils and ACT sound soo much more appetizing lol. But Fox Farm grow big and tiger bloom look kind of fun for some reason. I DO NOT LIKE CHEMICAL TASTES IN MARIJUANA!!!

I did not say that. I said that the ProMix you originally mentioned is not a soil. The mix you link, is more of a soil mix.

From that link:
Canadian sphagnum peat moss (60-75%)
Peat humus (except 2 cu ft comp.)
Compost (except 2 cu ft comp.)
Perlite
Gypsum
Limestone (for pH adjustment)
Organic fertilizer
Mycorrhizae - PTB297 Technology
Coir / coconut fibre (2 cu ft comp. only)
For this grow I'm doing it 100% bare minimum, soil only, no nutrients whatsoever. Soil, light and water (occassionally).
So, I'm not sure that's the right approach with your plan. Sorry, but you're going to need nutrients and you will definitely be watering much more than occasionally. There are many organic nutrients you could incorporate to help reach your goal of organic buds.

I did not say that. I said that the ProMix you originally mentioned is not a soil. The mix you link, is more of a soil mix.

From that link:
Canadian sphagnum peat moss (60-75%)
Peat humus (except 2 cu ft comp.)
Compost (except 2 cu ft comp.)
Perlite
Gypsum
Limestone (for pH adjustment)
Organic fertilizer
Mycorrhizae - PTB297 Technology
Coir / coconut fibre (2 cu ft comp. only)

So, I'm not sure that's the right approach with your plan. Sorry, but you're going to need nutrients and you will definitely be watering much more than occasionally. There are many organic nutrients you could incorporate to help reach your goal of organic buds.
What kind of 'nutrients' do you think I'll need? I was advised not to get caught up in the hype of all these flashy, "bloom booster" gives you 10x the bud size compounds a lot of fertilizer companies try and sucker you into paying for.

Like I said, I'm a first time grower and I'm trying to keep things simple. Once I add a compound to the soil I kind of can't take it back...

PROMIX has an organic liquid compound line I might opt to use. Or would you recommend something to have on hand ONLY IF NECESSARY like this? BlueSky Organics Organic Craft Growing Kit : Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden

What kind of 'nutrients' do you think I'll need? I was advised not to get caught up in the hype of all these flashy, "bloom booster" gives you 10x the bud size compounds a lot of fertilizer companies try and sucker you into paying for.

Like I said, I'm a first time grower and I'm trying to keep things simple. Once I add a compound to the soil I kind of can't take it back...

PROMIX has an organic liquid compound line I might opt to use. Or would you recommend something to have on hand ONLY IF NECESSARY like this? BlueSky Organics Organic Craft Growing Kit : Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden
I would be foolish to not recommend Geoflora nutrients. I have been using it exclusively for the past year. It is an organic nutrient line. It is applied every 2 weeks. They are a sponsor of this site. You will find that most of the members that have been here a while will typically try and steer others to at least try sponsor products first.

There are other organic nutrient sponsors here too that are liquid based. For me, the ease of application every 2 weeks has been good for me. Then I just need to focus on watering, which is a struggle for me actually. I worry about overwatering.

Are you in Canada? If you are, I do not think you can get Geoflora up there.

I would be foolish to not recommend Geoflora nutrients. I have been using it exclusively for the past year. It is an organic nutrient line. It is applied every 2 weeks. They are a sponsor of this site. You will find that most of the members that have been here a while will typically try and steer others to at least try sponsor products first.

There are other organic nutrient sponsors here too that are liquid based. For me, the ease of application every 2 weeks has been good for me. Then I just need to focus on watering, which is a struggle for me actually. I worry about overwatering.

Are you in Canada? If you are, I do not think you can get Geoflora up there.
Yup, I'm in Canada. That's for the recommendation, but I prob won't be able to grab that. I'm going to opt for the PROMIX nutrients, so as to keep the brand used the same for everything grown.

I can buy this PRO-MIX Organic-based Tomatoes, Vegetables & Fruits Soluble Garden Fertilizer 9-16-16 | Walmart Canada

Is it something you'd recommend?

Edit: scatch that product. It's not OMRI listed. This one is OMRI listed. Can you take a look at this one and see if it would suffice? PRO-MIX Organic Garden Fertilizer for Tomatoes, Vegetables & Fruits 4-4-8

Is it something you'd recommend?
It is not something I have ever used. So hard for me to say yes. It would provide the plant with nutrients. But based on what you said about your desire to growing organic only, then this is not it. That fertilizer is not "organic" in the sense that it is not an organic input. It is "organic-based" and a very nice play on words for marketing. It is primarily synthetic inputs. Only 29% of it is "organic matter"

This is on the same site and listed as OMRI for organic inputs.

If you want to focus on living super soil and growing organic, then you need to focus on feeding the soil. That means organic inputs only. Gaia green is a Canadian company that is well known for their organics. They are not a sponsor so I won't link to their product lines. Hopefully other Canadian growers will find this and chime in.

It is not something I have ever used. So hard for me to say yes. It would provide the plant with nutrients. But based on what you said about your desire to growing organic only, then this is not it. That fertilizer is not "organic" in the sense that it is not an organic input. It is "organic-based" and a very nice play on words for marketing. It is primarily synthetic inputs. Only 29% of it is "organic matter"

This is on the same site and listed as OMRI for organic inputs.

If you want to focus on living super soil and growing organic, then you need to focus on feeding the soil. That means organic inputs only. Gaia green is a Canadian company that is well known for their organics. They are not a sponsor so I won't link to their product lines. Hopefully other Canadian growers will find this and chime in.
I actually edited my post to include that fertilizer instead lol. I didn't notice the first one contained potassium nitrate, rendering it inorganic despite being listed as organic. I usually always look for the OMRI/ProCert label.

Remember I want to keep this first grow as basic and bare bones as can be. Bud size and 'mad yields' are not as important to me as acquiring and tasting 100% pure dirt and water marijuana. I'll focus on mad yields and adding additional compounds next grow once I have a baseline and a taste for what constitutes pure dirt and plant.

That said, are you absolutely certain that I'll need the fertilizer? Because both the seed starting mix as well as the vegetable and herb mix are listed as feeding your plants for up to 3 months. I intend to keep my seedlings in the seed starting mix for a little over a month and then in the veg. and herb mix until harvest. Three months should take me all the way--beginning of veg through flower--shouldn't it?

Gaia Green. Yes, I do intend to utilize their product line in my homemade super soil. That's not going to happen for probably close to a year though. I would like to make my own vermicompost for that first.

you're totally turned around.

use a cannabis specific media, not one for potted flowers or garden vegetables. none of the soils you mention will work very well. most have time release nutes that will fuck you up if using proper nutes, and none will have enough in it for your plants to make any where close to finish.

you're in canada. you have access to loads of fantastic cannabis specific products. don't piss around with the amateur garden crap.

edit : your best bet is get some hp promix and a bag of MC and get growing.

I didn't notice the first one contained potassium nitrate, rendering it inorganic despite being listed as organic.
It does depend on 'your' own personal meaning to the use of "organic". And, when we throw in words like 'nitrate' or 'nitrite' into the ingredients it gets really complicated.

Potassium Nitrate is a naturally occurring mineral and it is not a 'man made' substance. That does allow it to be considered as being a legit ingredient for products with one or more of the 'organic' certifications.

Potassium Nitrate is not the by-product of the decomposition of existing plant matter. Over the years I have read many discussions, and sometimes arguments, that only plant derived materials can qualify for "organic" labels. They usually get shot down once the information that plants naturally pull in the minerals they need from the soil. Those mineral are made available either by the actions of the soil micro-organisms or by being dissolved from the rock itself by water.

The word that causes all this confusion is "organic" which is why I suggested using 'natural ingredients' and concentrating on having a 'natural grow' in my earlier message (#23).

It does depend on 'your' own personal meaning to the use of "organic". And, when we throw in words like 'nitrate' or 'nitrite' into the ingredients it gets really complicated.

Potassium Nitrate is a naturally occurring mineral and it is not a 'man made' substance. That does allow it to be considered as being a legit ingredient for products with one or more of the 'organic' certifications.

Potassium Nitrate is not the by-product of the decomposition of existing plant matter. Over the years I have read many discussions, and sometimes arguments, that only plant derived materials can qualify for "organic" labels. They usually get shot down once the information that plants naturally pull in the minerals they need from the soil. Those mineral are made available either by the actions of the soil micro-organisms or by being dissolved from the rock itself by water.

The word that causes all this confusion is "organic" which is why I suggested using 'natural ingredients' and concentrating on having a 'natural grow' in my earlier message (#23).
I can literally taste it in the store bought crap I'm smoking on right now...

I guess what I'm trying to do, ultimately, is avoid using harsh, synthetic, salt based fertilizers, which is what I'm certain potassium nitrate aka 'saltpetre' classifies as being. If you look at the line of Fox Farm 'nutrients' (Grow Big and Tiger Bloom specifically), that's the type of fertilizer I want to avoid using.

I do eventually want to use those products, but for right now I want to see what type of crops are produced from adding no additives whatsoever. So when I eventually get around to using these 'steroid' juices on my plants I can see the difference in yield results for myself (what's natural vs not natural, etc.)

I can literally taste it in the store bought crap I'm smoking on right now...

I guess what I'm trying to do, ultimately, is avoid using harsh, synthetic, salt based fertilizers, which is what I'm certain potassium nitrate aka 'saltpetre' classifies as being. If you look at the line of Fox Farm 'nutrients' (Grow Big and Tiger Bloom specifically), that's the type of fertilizer I want to avoid using.

I do eventually want to use those products, but for right now I want to see what type of crops are produced from adding no additives whatsoever. So when I eventually get around to using these 'steroid' juices on my plants I can see the difference in yield results for myself (what's natural vs not natural, etc.)

Clackamas Coot's Mix

Water Only TLO that Can be combined with Teas!!!

Base mix:

1. 1/3 sphagnum peat moss

2. 1/3 aération (perlite, pumice, lava rock, rice hulls, etc.)

3. 1/3 HIGH QUALITY compost and/or worm casting

To every 1 cubic foot (~7.5 gallons) of the base mix add :

1. 1/2 cup kelp meal

2. 1/2 cup crab shell meal

3. 1/2 cup neem or karanja cake

4. 1 cup gypsum

5. 1 cup CaCO3 (oyster shell flour, dolomite lime, calcitic lime, etc.)

6. 4-5 cups rock dust per cf Rock dust should be super fine: the consistency of flour.

That’s it!!!

The key here is quality compost/worm castings. That is the LIVING part that makes this whole soil mix work. So it must be HIGH QUALITY. Water with dechlorinated water and you are set!! No pHing, no checking the TDS of run off, no cal/mag, no BS! And best of all it works fabulously in a SIP!!!

Back
Top Bottom