The main tip (cola) on a plant will receive the majority of resources and energy. This is called apical dominance. If you cut that tip, the next two branches below that will become your main colas and will split the resources.
Eventually, and they won't become dominant if you pull them down below or level with other growing tips.
When you top a plant all the lower growth gets a bit of a boost as you've removed one of the sources of the hormones related to apical dominance, and the hormones which promote branch and shoot growth become dominant for a little while.

@JiggiLotus So I usually just let my shit grow wild.

I'm trying a few new things. New for me anyways. Well said @Keffka

And I did a few fims. Fuck I missed. I've seen it produce multiple colas if done right. Pinching it the main cola off with a little left hanging on.

Yep.. FIM and top are basically the same thing, one is just a little less precise, but you should still leave a little on the top to act as support otherwise the colas get too heavy and split the main stem. I left a little space on top and this plant still split days before harvest
IMG_6815.jpeg

Otherwise you can produce some pretty decent colas with fimming/topping and training like these

IMG_6922.jpeg

IMG_6915.jpeg

IMG_6912.jpeg

Eventually, and they won't become dominant if you pull them down below or level with other growing tips.
When you top a plant all the lower growth gets a bit of a boost as you've removed one of the sources of the hormones related to apical dominance, and the hormones which promote branch and shoot growth become dominant for a little while.

Yeah I wasn’t gonna get into all that but here’s an example of what Mel is talking about for everyone else.

Normally a plant grows naturally like this
IMG_6045.jpeg
IMG_6046.jpeg

However, indoors most of us don’t have that kind of space so we keep the plants lower and do stuff like this:

IMG_6131.jpeg

IMG_6130.jpeg

IMG_6055.jpeg

IMG_6066.jpeg

IMG_6051.jpeg

All of the indoor plants are all growing from one node, the third node. They’re growing 8 colas each, with even resource distribution and light coverage

All of the colas need to be kept at the same height. This requires you to position and reposition the colas so none of them grow higher than the other. As soon as a plant realizes a cola is growing higher than the others it will begin focusing in on those highest colas like this plant
IMG_7143.jpeg

You can see the 2nd and 4th cola on both sides are considerably smaller than the others. This happened because I wasn’t proactive about keeping the colas even

I can’t help myself some times and will launch into multiple paragraph multiple comment posts about certain topics. I was trying not to do it but @Melville Hobbes comment reminded me I should probably be a little more descriptive lest someone follows what I said without knowing all the information. Hormones in plant growth are extremely important but very easy to manipulate. I think I’ve covered the basics, if not, someone feel free to add on. If anyone has any questions about it just let me know!

The new uglies are starting to flower! Its a beautiful day! You know how I love them mystery beans!

Originally I never thought about them being ruderalis but after looking at a bunch of pics today it looks blatant. Crazy thing is I had them vegging forever because of the old nutrient issues. They showed no signs of flowering. Probably because they were sicky.

Since I've had them on 12/12, it's like BAM flip flop flower power baby! I thought about adding a few more hours of light but I think I'm just gonna leave them. Dont care for the hermie nanners.

To dank and beyond with the uglies

20240223_134907.jpg

20240223_134841.jpg

20240223_134808.jpg

20240223_134727.jpg

20240223_134547.jpg

20240223_134540.jpg

20240223_134436.jpg

The new uglies are starting to flower! Its a beautiful day! You know how I love them mystery beans!

Originally I never thought about them being ruderalis but after looking at a bunch of pics today it looks blatant. Crazy thing is I had them vegging forever because of the old nutrient issues. They showed no signs of flowering. Probably because they were sicky.

Since I've had them on 12/12, it's like BAM flip flop flower power baby! I thought about adding a few more hours of light but I think I'm just gonna leave them. Dont care for the hermie nanners.

To dank and beyond with the uglies

20240223_134907.jpg

20240223_134841.jpg

20240223_134808.jpg

20240223_134727.jpg

20240223_134547.jpg

20240223_134540.jpg

20240223_134436.jpg
Amazing photography :bravo:
Garden looks incredible.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎