Is there anything I can do for my dog?

I have a pure bred Pekingese that I love with all my heart & soul. He is like my own kid to me. He's had a few problems over the years as he kept getting eye infections & went blind. I had to have his eyes removed a year or so ago. Now he has constant diahrea (don't know the spelling). Vet did tests & bloodwork & said his white blood cells are elevated which could be Cancer. He's on Antibiotics for the next 2 weeks to see if it helps. I really don't have much hope for that.
So, I'm wondering if there's any kind of MMJ treatments I can give a dog ? I have to try something. I love him too much not to.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks All !
Oh hello

First I’m sorry your dog is unwell. A raised white blood count can mean fighting infection. It’s your slayed leukocytes that were fighting for you. While it can mean something more dire, it usually suggests infection, so a quick course of AB’s is the go. It will kill simple infection.

If I was to think of your dog as a person, the first thing I would consider is age.

If your dog is of geriatric age you need to ask yourself is it fair to put him through investigation and possible treatment? I have a Maltese cross (basically a barking cat) and he is between 18-22. I rescued him. He is coming to the point where it’s about quality of life. He has a lump on his abdo, soft which suggests it’s not too ominous. But with my vets advice because I have decided not to treat it, I have not investigated it.

I base things on his quality of life. As long as he shows minimal pain, he has arthritis, and eats and seems happy, I carry on. He is partially deaf and blind so you really need to yell to get his attention but he is happy, he is currently curled up to the right of me.

However if your dog is young, and well enough to fight I would investigate treatment options.

I wouldn’t treat my dog with MJ as a test dummy. I would talk to my vet about possible safe doses. Meds are usually weight based. One thing I have noticed my old boy loves is boiled white rice and chicken breast baked in the oven with one cup of water. Sounds stupid but it gave him a new lease on life.

Oh hello

First I’m sorry your dog is unwell. A raised white blood count can mean fighting infection. It’s your slayed leukocytes that were fighting for you. While it can mean something more dire, it usually suggests infection, so a quick course of AB’s is the go. It will kill simple infection.

If I was to think of your dog as a person, the first thing I would consider is age.

If your dog is of geriatric age you need to ask yourself is it fair to put him through investigation and possible treatment? I have a Maltese cross (basically a barking cat) and he is between 18-22. I rescued him. He is coming to the point where it’s about quality of life. He has a lump on his abdo, soft which suggests it’s not too ominous. But with my vets advice because I have decided not to treat it, I have not investigated it.

I base things on his quality of life. As long as he shows minimal pain, he has arthritis, and eats and seems happy, I carry on. He is partially deaf and blind so you really need to yell to get his attention but he is happy, he is currently curled up to the right of me.

However if your dog is young, and well enough to fight I would investigate treatment options.

I wouldn’t treat my dog with MJ as a test dummy. I would talk to my vet about possible safe doses. Meds are usually weight based. One thing I have noticed my old boy loves is boiled white rice and chicken breast baked in the oven with one cup of water. Sounds stupid but it gave him a new lease on life.
I've been taking him to the vet for a couple months now. They've tried 3 different antibiotics & steroids & none of it helped. Before that I tried the Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, Rice, Probiotics & Pepto Bismol. None of that helped either.
For some reason he seems better today then yesterday. He didn't eat for about 2 days; but went to town eating today. He's actually up walking around some & seems kind of happy. I think it's the power of prayer.

I give our Chihuahua a drop sometimes two of high quality CBD oil every single day for the past 5 years and also Turmeric in her food.
We're doing this as a preventative maintenance in hopes of preventing cancer altogether.
She is 12 now and so far so good.
Other than being about 2 pounds too chunky she is in good health.

I wish you the best of luck with your baby but I wouldn't give up on her and don't trust what your vet says
I went to the dispensary for RSO. All they have is 1:1 or 100% THC syringes. I bought the 1:1. Here's a pic below. It says it's 1000 mg. & 1 drop is about the size of a pin head. Sound about right to you ? I gave him 1 drop on his food a few minutes ago. If there's anything I should know about using this stuff please inform me. And thanks for the help.
I rescheduled the vet appointment. I took the Quality of Life Test on line for him & he only scored a 5 which they recommended euthanasia. So at this point I'm all in to try whatever as I have nothing to lose & everything to gain.
DSCF5600.JPG

I've been taking him to the vet for a couple months now. They've tried 3 different antibiotics & steroids & none of it helped. Before that I tried the Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, Rice, Probiotics & Pepto Bismol. None of that helped either.
For some reason he seems better today then yesterday. He didn't eat for about 2 days; but went to town eating today. He's actually up walking around some & seems kind of happy. I think it's the power of prayer.
I love how you love. My dogs mean the same to me. I love them so much. No one is as happy to see me as Billy and Frank are. I can not even imagine a life without my Billy even tho a life without my Billy comes closer every single day. His time is borrowed, Well this is where we differ just ever so slightly. I think prayer does fuck all. I’m all about actions.

I think he prolly feels better because you have been so attentive and proactive in helping him, but I’m an agnostic from waaaaay back. The antibiotics, the attention, and love, the concern, that what I think is making the difference. But ultimately it doesn’t matter what I think lollllll.

How old is he?

I love how you love. My dogs mean the same to me. I love them so much. No one is as happy to see me as Billy and Frank are. I can not even imagine a life without my Billy even tho a life without my Billy comes closer every single day. His time is borrowed, Well this is where we differ just ever so slightly. I think prayer does fuck all. I’m all about actions.

I think he prolly feels better because you have been so attentive and proactive in helping him, but I’m an agnostic from waaaaay back. The antibiotics, the attention, and love, the concern, that what I think is making the difference. But ultimately it doesn’t matter what I think lollllll.

How old is he?
He's only 8. Pekingese usually live 12 - 15 years.

I went to the dispensary for RSO. All they have is 1:1 or 100% THC syringes. I bought the 1:1. Here's a pic below. It says it's 1000 mg. & 1 drop is about the size of a pin head. Sound about right to you ? I gave him 1 drop on his food a few minutes ago. If there's anything I should know about using this stuff please inform me. And thanks for the help.
I rescheduled the vet appointment. I took the Quality of Life Test on line for him & he only scored a 5 which they recommended euthanasia. So at this point I'm all in to try whatever as I have nothing to lose & everything to gain.
To accurately measure liquid, go units, there are 100 units to 1mL, get an insulin syringe as your measurer.

I am going to say something that is going to be hard for you to hear, but it comes from a place of good. And it is something I would definitely want said to me when my love for Billy has clouded my thinking.

Your dog, I don’t even know his name, his life is his life. It is unfair to keep him alive less than and suffering because you are scared and can’t bear a life without him. Your role is to be his best friend and to do right by him. And to ensure he has quality of life and dignity in death. I am not sure what the Quality of Life test is, it sounds like a tool that gets used when the loved one can’t see what’s right in front of them, ie a loved one who is dying and in pain. If this tool recommended euthanasia, you need to really consider why. And how that should happen.

I already have a plan. When that time comes, I will wrap Billy in his blanket, we will all sit on our bed, and I will pay the vet to come to my home and euthanise him.

Edit I hope that hasn’t read like I’m an unfeeling arsehole. Coz I am genuinely feeling so sad for you.

I would try a tiny little amount at first, like 1/2 a grain of rice and use some CBD oil with it preferably.
For the first few days he may act a bit weird, just comfort him and love him.
If he handles that well then do that a day or so and maybe day 3 up the amount just a wee bit.
I would give him several drops of CBD oil.
I looked up the Turkey Tail Mushrooms & Tumeric. They both sound like they'd be good for him. Just not sure which to buy. The Mushrooms come in Dried, Powder or Extract. The Tumeric comes in Powder, Extract, Ground & Capsules & indifferent strengths ( 500/1000/1300/1600 mg.). Which would work best ? I was thinking Powder or Extract as that would be the easiest to give him. And then how often & how much do you give a 13 lb. dog ?

I think the dosage will vary depending on the particular one you buy.
But I don't think you have to worry much about an over dosage of either one, so go with what your gut tells you.

We get powdered Turmeric with black pepper and add 3 grams to two meatloafs which is 15 days of food, two meals a day.
We just add a small amount that she gets daily.

THC with dogs is like given them acid , they trip out , It would have to be very small drops , I had a dog eat one of my capsules once ( by accident , a large very large dog and it was not right for a day and a half , poor thing was shaking like a leaf afraid
just watch the thc side with dogs
Signs Of THC Toxicity In Dogs: Stumbling, dragging paws while walking; Shaking or trembling; Easily Startled; Glassy, dilated eyes; Increased appetite; Vomiting; Disorientation; Seizure; Incontinence; Low body temperature; Coma; Obviously too much THC is bad news for your pets–but even a small amount can be dangerous.

Thanks everyone. The drop of RSO he got last night didn't seem to have any negative effect. I do plan to buy a pure CBD oil today which I figure I can add 3 drops of CBD to 1 drop of the 1:1 RSO making it 1 part THC & 4 parts CBD.
Also buying the Tumeric today. The Mushrooms I have to order from Zon.
I know this could have a possible bad outcome. But not trying it has a definite bad outcome. If he will die if I don't try it... I feel I have nothing to lose.
Nunyabiz is a pretty smart person. I've read a lot of his stuff & he doesn't post things without facts to back them up. He's pretty damned knowledgeable & I'm glad he's here helping out. So, I'm going to try the things he suggested.

Sounds like you're doing everything right to me.
Just go very easy on the THC especially first week or two.
Every person and dog handle THC differently.
Myself even though I've been consuming cannabis for 48 years I am still a lite weight extraordinaire, the last batch of tincture I made was so potent that I really couldn't take a single drop without feeling uncomfortable unless I was in pain then it went straight to the pain.

Now my wife, i can and have given her 10 drops or more and she's fine it just goes to help her pain (Fibromyalgia).
If I took 10 drops I would gripping the magic carpet flat on my back for the next 15 hours.
Dogs are the same way but have even more CB1 receptors than we do so will get even more profound effect.

So just the tiniest little bit, 1/2 grain of rice at most for the THC.
If he tolerates it very well with no ill effects then after a few days you can try just a VERY tiny bit more, but really I don't think I would go past that little pinhead size especially once you start with the recommended dose of CBD, remember that a quality full spectrum CBD oil has a small amount of THC.
So several drops of CBD will up the dose of THC also.
So everyone is correct in their caution at not giving too much THC.

Dogs have far more CB1 receptors than we do so that tiny little amount they can absorb more of it than we can.
Plus if your dogs endocannabinoid system is like mine then it could easily get too much very easily.
Or if he's lucky he will be more like my wife and just have a big smile on his face and be just fine.
But since he can't verbally communicate then you must pay very close attention to any and all signs.

I would probably go with a bit less THC once you start the CBD because of the extra THC in the CBD oil.
All you're trying to accomplish is to trigger those CB1 receptors and it will take a very small amount to accomplish that.

Myself even though I've been consuming cannabis for 48 years I am still a lite weight extraordinaire, the last batch of tincture I made was so potent that I really couldn't take a single drop without feeling uncomfortable unless I was in pain then it went straight to the pain.

Now my wife, i can and have given her 10 drops or more and she's fine it just goes to help her pain (Fibromyalgia).
If I took 10 drops I would gripping the magic carpet flat on my back for the next 15 hours.
Dogs are the same way but have even more CB1 receptors than we do so will get even more profound effect.

If he tolerates it very well with no ill effects then after a few days you can try just a VERY tiny bit more, but really I don't think I would go past that little pinhead size especially once you start with the recommended dose of CBD, remember that a quality full spectrum CBD oil has a small amount of THC.

Dogs have far more CB1 receptors than we do so that tiny little amount they can absorb more of it than we can.
Plus if your dogs endocannabinoid system is like mine then it could easily get too much very easily.
Or if he's lucky he will be more like my wife and just have a big smile on his face and be just fine.
But since he can't verbally communicate then you must pay very close attention to any and all signs.

I would probably go with a bit less THC once you start the CBD because of the extra THC in the CBD oil.
All you're trying to accomplish is to trigger those CB1 receptors and it will take a very small amount to accomplish that.
Thanks for all the valuable info. Going to get the Tumeric in a few minutes & hamburger for the meat loafs.

I got the Hamburger & Tumeric. The only Tumeric they had with Black Pepper was the 1000 mg. capsules. I'm guessing I can open the capsules & use the powder. Would you still use 3 grams of this in 2 meat loafs (2-lbs each) ?
Is that 1.5 gr. each or 3 gr. ea. ? Making it tomorrow.
I'm not sure what is going on with my dog. He met me at the door wagging his tail & barking. It's the 1st time he's done that in weeks. I doubt just the 1 drop made him feel that good... but maybe ? He got his 2nd drop today.
Picking up the CBD tomorrow.

I got the Hamburger & Tumeric. The only Tumeric they had with Black Pepper was the 1000 mg. capsules. I'm guessing I can open the capsules & use the powder. Would you still use 3 grams of this in 2 meat loafs (2-lbs each) ?
Is that 1.5 gr. each or 3 gr. ea. ? Making it tomorrow.
I'm not sure what is going on with my dog. He met me at the door wagging his tail & barking. It's the 1st time he's done that in weeks. I doubt just the 1 drop made him feel that good... but maybe ? He got his 2nd drop today.
Picking up the CBD tomorrow.
The meatloaf we make is we use just over 3 pounds of meat.
In our case we use Turkey because its less fat but doesn't matter what meat you use otherwise.
We add between 2 1/2 to 3 gr of Turmeric for the whole 3 pounds of meat mixed up all at once and split the meat into 1.5 pound loafs. You can use even more since you're really wanting to get Turmeric into your dog.

We add all kinds of goodies.
Sugar snap peas 50 gr
Kale 50gr
Carrot 50gr
Brussel sprouts 50gr
Cauliflower 50gr
Bell pepper 50gr
Two eggs
100 gr oatmeal
Chicken livers 50gr
Hemp seeds 20gr
Chia seeds 20 gr
Flax meal 20gr
Panko bread crumbs 20 gr
A pinch of salt
Chop the veggies up fairly small mix all ingredients form into loaves and bake at 340⁰ for 70 minutes.

There are other things you can substitute in like rice, peas, even blueberries work.
Our dog likes veggies and there's a difference between raw vs cooked veggies nutrient wise so we also add a spoonful of the same veggies we put in the meatloaf as a raw veggie addition.

But just the meatloaf is good and nutritionally balanced.

Depending on how your dog takes the turkey tale you might even be able to add the turkey tale mushrooms to it somehow, maybe just open the capsules and sprinkle on it and mix it in after its cooked.

We get our Turmeric from Costco, comes in a big old 16oz container Like ice cream for $14

Get the best quality full spectrum CBD oil you can get.

Barking and tale wagging is a very good sign in my book especially if he does it again tomorrow and he hasn't done it in weeks.

Have you found out exactly whats wrong with him?

20210228_185603.jpg

20210228_185627.jpg

The meatloaf we make is we use just over 3 pounds of meat.
In our case we use Turkey because its less fat but doesn't matter what meat you use otherwise.
We add between 2 1/2 to 3 gr of Turmeric for the whole 3 pounds of meat mixed up all at once and split the meat into 1.5 pound loafs. You can use even more since you're really wanting to get Turmeric into your dog.

We add all kinds of goodies.
Sugar snap peas 50 gr
Kale 50gr
Carrot 50gr
Brussel sprouts 50gr
Cauliflower 50gr
Bell pepper 50gr
Two eggs
100 gr oatmeal
Chicken livers 50gr
Hemp seeds 20gr
Chia seeds 20 gr
Flax meal 20gr
Panko bread crumbs 20 gr
A pinch of salt
Chop the veggies up fairly small mix all ingredients form into loaves and bake at 340⁰ for 70 minutes.

There are other things you can substitute in like rice, peas, even blueberries work.
Our dog likes veggies and there's a difference between raw vs cooked veggies nutrient wise so we also add a spoonful of the same veggies we put in the meatloaf as a raw veggie addition.

But just the meatloaf is good and nutritionally balanced.

Depending on how your dog takes the turkey tale you might even be able to add the turkey tale mushrooms to it somehow, maybe just open the capsules and sprinkle on it and mix it in after its cooked.

We get our Turmeric from Costco, comes in a big old 16oz container Like ice cream for $14

Get the best quality full spectrum CBD oil you can get.

Barking and tale wagging is a very good sign in my book especially if he does it again tomorrow and he hasn't done it in weeks.

Have you found out exactly whats wrong with him?

20210228_185603.jpg

20210228_185627.jpg
The Vet said he has elevated white blood cells. She said if the Antibiotics & Steroids didn't work that it was probably cancer. None of the meds helped. They were going to retest his blood to see if the elevated cell count went down.
But since he had only gotten worse I figured there was no since in the 2nd test. He's had the runs for a couple of months. Then it started having blood in it. Then it was almost straight blood & he started vomiting. Today, I noticed there wasn't much blood & he hasn't vomited the past 2 days.
You got a much better deal on the tumeric. I paid $18 for 60 capsules. Luckily it was on sale BOGO free.
The Turkey Tale Mushrooms I was going to get was the dried ones. I thought I could cook them into the meat loaf.
I have several veggies on hand so I'll mix them in.
I'll try the Turkey Meat Loaf next run. Thanks Again !

Was the blood bright red or dark almost black?
If bright red its from the lower colon if black its from the stomach.
That could be numerous things.

Parvo, parasites, fungal and possibly cancer.

I would give him some good probiotic yogurt also.
Like a tablespoon of it for desert.
That could help getting his poops back to normal.
Make absolutely certain that the yogurt is organic and sweetened only with cane sugar, it can NOT have XYLITOL in it, that is very toxic to dogs.

Also as for the Turmeric, dosage wise , you shouldn't exceed at most 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight per day.
Which is about 20mg per pound of body weight per day.
The two meatloafs for our dog is like 17 days of food , two meals a day.
She weighs about 13.5 pounds.
So our dog isn't getting anywhere near a maximum dose.
We just use it as a supplement in her diet as a preventative maintenance.

The dose our dog gets per day is like a 1/16th of a teaspoon per day. So no where near a maximum dose.

Ordered the CBD Oil & Turkey Tail Mushroom Powder from Zon. Should be here tomorrow. Making the meat loaf with the veggies & tumeric today.
My wife noticed a difference in him. She asked me if it was just her or did he seem more active. I noticed the blood seems to be going away too. Nowhere near like it was a few days ago. I'm really kind of in shock to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom