Is this soil mix too hot?

yanni420

OK so I'm in allot better shape than my first go,so I got 2, 1.5 cubic ft bgs of ocean Forrest and 1 bag of something fro. Wallmart,and a bag or some perlite,I only had a gift card for there and had to try and get something with little to no nutes,because I keep hearing the ocean Forrest is too hot so I got a bag of organic raised bed mix,it says it's .03 % total nitrogen, is that still too hott???,and how should I put this together, using 5 gallon plastic pots for outdoor,have a bag of mulch too,and some round smaller size landscaping stones I thought I would put on the bottom for better drainage,please lmk how to go about this the right way

20220720_163538.jpg

OK so I'm in allot better shape than my first go,so I got 2, 1.5 cubic ft bgs of ocean Forrest and 1 bag of something fro. Wallmart,and a bag or some perlite,I only had a gift card for there and had to try and get something with little to no nutes,because I keep hearing the ocean Forrest is too hot so I got a bag of organic raised bed mix,it says it's .03 % total nitrogen, is that still too hott???,and how should I put this together, using 5 gallon plastic pots for outdoor,have a bag of mulch too,and some round smaller size landscaping stones I thought I would put on the bottom for better drainage,please lmk how to go about this the right way

20220720_163538.jpg
First, rocks in the bottom of your containers is a huge mistake. This does not at all help drainage, it actually hurts it because that area down there will never really dry out. Your soil will be artificially perched above these rocks and your roots will not be right in that area. Don't do it. Soil drains just fine all by itself.

As far as your soil goes, Fox Farm is not too hot for any established plant. It is a little rich to start new seedlings in, but your fears of its "hotness" are a mad rumor that circulates around the internet and it isn't true... Ocean Forest is a medium grade organic soil and can be used without fear. Mixing your more inert soil will dull it down a bit, but it won't hurt your grow. Your plan will work well. I would just mix this all together and use it freely. If you are starting seedlings, start them in the lighter soil, or at least in a layer of it at the top of your 5 gallon container, but optimally, you should start the seeds in a beer cup and then transplant into the 5 gallon of Ocean Forest mix, after they have gained a good set of roots under them.

That Perlite also has (Miracle Grow) nutes in it, so keep that in mind when you're mixing stuff up...

I'm with @Emilya on the rocks. Tried it years ago with negative effect. I use a mix similar to your ingredients, using EQUAL amounts of each product. I use the Vigoro perlite, not because Miracle Gro is bad, but because the Vigoro particles are larger which provides great drainage and plenty of air pockets for the roots to spread and grow. The cup in the middle of the wheelbarrow contains dry granular poultry manure which is sufficient for the veg portion of my auto grows. Last pic demonstrates healthy root system holding medium together. Through trial and error this is the mix that gives me zero defect grows. Good luck.

IMG_20220317_111047747_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220317_112021120_HDR.jpg

airpot.jpg

I'm with @Emilya on the rocks. Tried it years ago with negative effect. I use a mix similar to your ingredients, using EQUAL amounts of each product. I use the Vigoro perlite, not because Miracle Gro is bad, but because the Vigoro particles are larger which provides great drainage and plenty of air pockets for the roots to spread and grow. The cup in the middle of the wheelbarrow contains dry granular poultry manure which is sufficient for the veg portion of my auto grows. Last pic demonstrates healthy root system holding medium together. Through trial and error this is the mix that gives me zero defect grows. Good luck.

IMG_20220317_111047747_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220317_112021120_HDR.jpg

airpot.jpg
Nice post shirk, I have a question, when do you start feeding your plants, assuming you do?.

I'm asking because I'm working on a plan for the ideal soil to grow auto's in, which is a new gig for me, I've always grown photo's, and still do. I'm assuming a rich soil does not require the amount of ppm as a soil without additives.

Thanks

Nice post shirk, I have a question, when do you start feeding your plants, assuming you do?.

I'm asking because I'm working on a plan for the ideal soil to grow auto's in, which is a new gig for me, I've always grown photo's, and still do. I'm assuming a rich soil does not require the amount of ppm as a soil without additives.

Thanks
ideal soil? I am still looking for that one. And worse yet, every time I think I have one and then try to reuse it a couple of times; its no longer quite so perfect. As long as you are going soil, you should consider going the organic route. By that I mean, no additives, just raw nutrients and microbes mixed in and you supply the water. The results of true organic gardening are undeniably great, and it means that all you have to do is water, with no worrying about how much of this or that needs to be in there or when it is time to feed. The truly easiest organic growing system I have found yet, and so effective that it can turn coco or any old soil into a true organic garden, is our sponsor, @GeoFlora Nutrients. It really is good stuff! True organic gardening used to be hard, messy and complicated, but today, GeoFlora makes true organic gardening, with no pH worries, the ability to use tap water, and never a need to flush, available and easy to use.

With my autos I incorporate 1 cup of dry granular poultry manure in my medium mix. Then nothing until flowering begins, when I will feed with Hasta Gro Plant, once a week until harvest. These are Medina products that give me bullet proof grows. I've used their products for over 45yrs. on everything from St. Augustine to Live Oaks. This is what works in my grows @garybo.

Growin Green.JPG

Hasta Gro Plant.JPG

First, rocks in the bottom of your containers is a huge mistake. This does not at all help drainage, it actually hurts it because that area down there will never really dry out. Your soil will be artificially perched above these rocks and your roots will not be right in that area. Don't do it. Soil drains just fine all by itself.

As far as your soil goes, Fox Farm is not too hot for any established plant. It is a little rich to start new seedlings in, but your fears of its "hotness" are a mad rumor that circulates around the internet and it isn't true... Ocean Forest is a medium grade organic soil and can be used without fear. Mixing your more inert soil will dull it down a bit, but it won't hurt your grow. Your plan will work well. I would just mix this all together and use it freely. If you are starting seedlings, start them in the lighter soil, or at least in a layer of it at the top of your 5 gallon container, but optimally, you should start the seeds in a beer cup and then transplant into the 5 gallon of Ocean Forest mix, after they have gained a good set of roots under them.
Thank you,that's makes me feel allot better,do you think I should add some mulch to make it a little more chunky,or stick with what I got

Thank you,appreciate the help,you guys are awesome

I'll deviate from the herd here a bit and say that I don't think a couple-inch pebble layer is a bad thing at the bottom. It could help, but it depends on your soil mix.

Ideally, you shouldn't need any rocks, if your soil mix is well-draining, your pot isn't too tall (with sides that taper to the bottom), and has enough holes in the bottom (and/or side-bottom). I'm a big fan of coco coir, both mixed into the soil, and also as a mulch layer on top of the soil. Coco coir is really good at allowing the water to fully permeate the pot, and it also holds moisture some.

You can check out my custom organic soil mixture via the link in my signature. happy growing! :)

Back
Top Bottom