IslandGrower420 - Cali Og Kush & Green Crack In DWC

Hey IG -- As soon as you get to 50 posts you can send and receive private messages, so commence to posting. ;)

I'll guess magnesium deficiency based on the funny color changes, but diagnosing deficiencies is really hard--much harder than those leaf charts would make it seem. (I saw someone here the other day posting about their boron deficiency.... not likely.)

What always comes to mind in cases like this is when I started keeping fish. You could buy all kinds of fish antibiotics and other treatments for all manner of fishy problems, but the experienced fish keepers always said the same thing: "Keep your water right and your fish won't get sick." Prevention beats treatment. I think it's the same thing with cannabis: you feed a mild solution of balanced nutrients on a consistent basis using good water (not too hard) and don't overcomplicate things by adding a whole bunch of extra boosters and sooper joose etc--just NPK+micros in good water--and chances are you won't have many problems. That's my grow philosophy anyway.

I have super soft water so mine seems to need lots of calmag, but other than that, just plain old half-strength FloraSeries works for me.

Of course, that's a "good enough" solution, and experienced growers who are pushing everything to the limit work out their own specialized growing regimens, but I think for most four bottles at half strength works great.

<edit> I just looked at your fertilizer list. Yowza, that's a lot of stuff! Based on that list, I would expect that excess was more likely than deficit. And I see you're adding calmag. So for the problem that leaves (no pun intended) something more exotic like pH being wildly off (unlikely, right?) or an overconcentration of one nutrient blocking another (like too many positively charged potassium ions making it hard for the plant to process the similarly positively charged magnesium ions).

Now I'm thinking of Thoreau's dictum: "Simplify, simplify, simplify!" Maybe reduce to base nutrients and then slowly start adding back the supplements? Just a thought (and just my .02 of course...)

Nutes - Veg: Fox Farm Grow Big, GH Diamond Nectar Humics, Botanicare Silica Blast, Botanicare CalMag, Botanicare Hydroguard, Hygrozyme enzymes, & Maxicrop Liquid Seaweed. Bloom: Fox Farm Tiger Bloom & bloom boosters, GH Diamond Nectar Humics, Botanicare Silica Blast, Botanicare CalMag, Botanicare Hydroguard, Hygrozyme enzymes, & Maxicrop Liquid Seaweed.​

</edit>

Good point. Never really thought of it this way!

Hey Sly, been checking your journal - your plants are looking primo. One of your Cali OG Haze plants has fat looking leaves, are they both like that or does the second one have thinner leaves and look a little different? Both phenos I got grow with pretty tight node spacing to be honest, the one with the thinner leaves grew a bit taller with longer branches. I mainlined them and they got way too bushy. I have got two with the thin leaves and one with the thick leaves in my veg tent right now and they are 7-8 weeks old - I topped and fimmed them so they had 5-6 tops but but did not have to tie them down too much (in my current grow i mainlined that one and it got way too bushy), i trained them very slightly and they just grew round and bushy and they are so thick it is a struggle to dig through them. They are wider than they are tall! Not sure you can do anything about it....just do not give them too many tops, they get major branch development and then get too bushy. I can post some closeup pics of the ones in my veg tent if you want. all three look like giant green afro wigs lol.

The one with the fat leaves was so easy to grow, it looks like it is going the full 9-10 weeks as stated on the website, and looks straight fire. Frost rails all over the leaves and and dripping in crystals. She will not grow that tall but will double in size during the 3 week stretch. Deffo more indica traits! Clone this one lol!

The one with the thinner leaves is pretty fickle, no problems in veg except the leaf tips were always slightly brown like the early onset of nute burn, but never progressed more than the very tip. Then in flower she threw a hissy fit and got a deficiency when the other OG and the GC were fine. Not looking as frosty but smells great. She did not stretch much at all. I do not think I will ever grow this one again after the 2 in my veg tent are done.

My GC is looking hella frosty and smells awesome. I am liking this one but I do not think I got the preferred pheno. Do not get me wrong, great plant and other than being a magnesium whore she was real easy to grow. She did get bushy cuz I mainlined her but she doubled in size during her 3 weeks stretch. The 4 in my veg tent I only gave 4-5 tops too and they are growing a lot taller and less bushy. The website says 9-10 week flower period - I am just finishing week 7 (day 49) and the GC looks close to being done already. Mostly all the her hairs are red and crinkly and I can see amber triches here and there. I have lowered the PPMs to 500 a few days ago and I am going to flush for a week with just sweetner, bennies and enzymes for week 8.

Ok that was sort of a week 7 update lol! I will post some pics this weekend.

Hey Sly, been checking your journal - your plants are looking primo. One of your Cali OG Haze plants has fat looking leaves, are they both like that or does the second one have thinner leaves and look a little different? Both phenos I got grow with pretty tight node spacing to be honest, the one with the thinner leaves grew a bit taller with longer branches. I mainlined them and they got way too bushy. I have got two with the thin leaves and one with the thick leaves in my veg tent right now and they are 7-8 weeks old - I topped and fimmed them so they had 5-6 tops but but did not have to tie them down too much (in my current grow i mainlined that one and it got way too bushy), i trained them very slightly and they just grew round and bushy and they are so thick it is a struggle to dig through them. They are wider than they are tall! Not sure you can do anything about it....just do not give them too many tops, they get major branch development and then get too bushy. I can post some closeup pics of the ones in my veg tent if you want. all three look like giant green afro wigs lol.

The one with the fat leaves was so easy to grow, it looks like it is going the full 9-10 weeks as stated on the website, and looks straight fire. Frost rails all over the leaves and and dripping in crystals. She will not grow that tall but will double in size during the 3 week stretch. Deffo more indica traits! Clone this one lol!

The one with the thinner leaves is pretty fickle, no problems in veg except the leaf tips were always slightly brown like the early onset of nute burn, but never progressed more than the very tip. Then in flower she threw a hissy fit and got a deficiency when the other OG and the GC were fine. Not looking as frosty but smells great. She did not stretch much at all. I do not think I will ever grow this one again after the 2 in my veg tent are done.

My GC is looking hella frosty and smells awesome. I am liking this one but I do not think I got the preferred pheno. Do not get me wrong, great plant and other than being a magnesium whore she was real easy to grow. She did get bushy cuz I mainlined her but she doubled in size during her 3 weeks stretch. The 4 in my veg tent I only gave 4-5 tops too and they are growing a lot taller and less bushy. The website says 9-10 week flower period - I am just finishing week 7 (day 49) and the GC looks close to being done already. Mostly all the her hairs are red and crinkly and I can see amber triches here and there. I have lowered the PPMs to 500 a few days ago and I am going to flush for a week with just sweetner, bennies and enzymes for week 8.

Morning Island

Both of the GCs look the same. Mind you if i look at all 6 plants there doesn't seem to be much difference in the leaf structure.

Went to check on them this morning and i see what you mean about them getting thicker. My GC went nuts last night. Come have a look i threw a couple pics up this morning.
If you don't mind throwing some pictures up that would be great give me a good idea as to what im going to be looking at in the future haha.

Keep it Frosty and thanks for the info much appreciated.

Hey Sly,

Actually it was the two different kinds of Cali OG Haze that I got that I was interested in. Here are some pics of the short fat one which it looks like you got two of, but I also threw in a pick of the stringier one as well so you can see the difference.

The first pic is a few weeks from seed and the 2nd and 3rd pics are 3-4 weeks in. I mainlined her so she had 8 tops. Do not do it lol. She grew very nice but her main branches grew very slowly and she grew some serious side branches off of the main ones, which translated into a dense bush.

Here you can see the difference between the two pheno types. The 2nd pic is the longer skinnier one - I mainlined her with 8 tops but her main branches are longer and growing faster than the short fat one, so she does not look as bushy. but she still had the crazy side branch development as well but just wears it better because of the longer mains branches.

This is after about 8 weeks from seed. Not too tall and just a bush. I defoliated her just a bit in the 2nd pic.

She is not the plant i am looking for to scrog, but she is just to damn nice to get rid of now. I scrogged her flat, she put up a fight with her hardy thick short branches but I wore her down and in the end she gave herself to me lol

Mine more than doubled in size during the stretch. As soon as week four hit she frosts right up. The pic below is from the beginning of week 6 (day 35). I had a few pics that I was trying to post but it was zoomed in too much when i tried to post it here...looked fine in the gallery.

There are a few more pics in week 6 of my journal of this Cali OG Haze pheno....called OG #2

Morning Island

I must say they sure look great.

I wish i would have looked at your pics of the topping and how bushy they are.

I topped 1 of each type the other day and when i compare what they have grown like since i would have to say the GC got bushier than the other 2. Although when i say that all 3 got bushier rather than tall,

Its going to be interesting to see where they go from here. i did add the red bloom switch on one of my lights to see if that may help.

Don't know how it will all turn out, but i'm learning lots

Keep it frosty bud.

Week 7 Flower (44 days since 12/12 flip):
OG#2: The one with the fat leaves was so easy to grow, it looks like it is going the full 9-10 weeks as stated on the website, and looks straight fire. Frost rails all over the leaves and and dripping in crystals. She will not grow that tall but will double in size during the 3 week stretch. Deffo more indica traits! Clone this one lol!

OG #1: The one with the thinner leaves is pretty fickle, no problems in veg except the leaf tips were always slightly brown like the early onset of nute burn, but never progressed more than the very tip. Then in flower she threw a hissy fit and got a deficiency when the other OG and the GC were fine. Not looking as frosty but smells great. She did not stretch much at all. I do not think I will ever grow this one again after the 2 in my veg tent are done.

GC #1: My GC is looking hella frosty and smells awesome. I am liking this one but I do not think I got the preferred pheno. Do not get me wrong, great plant and other than being a magnesium whore she was real easy to grow. She did get bushy cuz I mainlined her but she doubled in size during her 3 weeks stretch. The 4 in my veg tent I only gave 4-5 tops too and they are growing a lot taller and less bushy. The website says 9-10 week flower period - I am just finishing week 7 (day 49) and the GC looks close to being done already. Mostly all the her hairs are red and crinkly and I can see amber triches here and there. I have lowered the PPMs to 500 a few days ago and I am going to flush for a week with just sweetner, bennies and enzymes for week 8.

Week 8 Flower (51 days since 12/12 flip):

OG #1 is almost finished, I am going to start flushing in a couple of days, and cut her down around day 56-58. Despite not stretching as much as I wanted, and developing an issue in week 3, she has come back pretty nice and developed some fat hand grenade colas. She smells really nice too like lemon cake or lemon skittles.

OG #2 is deffo going 9 weeks. She is so frosty and smells awesome, very sweet like vanilla cake and maybe hints of lemon. Fuck I can not wait to try this one.

GC #1 is about done. Damn frosty and has the most rock hard nugs. I love the way it smells too, it has a sweet pine and gas aroma. I have started to flush with water (with sweetener, bennies, and enzymes still) and I am going to start cutting some branches off in a few days, she will be completely cut down by day 56-58.

I know some people flush for a few weeks but I find with DWC 4-5 days is fine. They drink and transpire so much that they flush out pretty quickly. In soil you need to flush for longer as the medium retains nutes.

thought i would share the jungle that has formed in my veg tent. i can not wait to cut down everything in the flower tent and get these ladies separated...I have them all jammed into my veg tent right now. I am going to scrog the 4 GC in my 5x5 flower tent under the 1000w hps. I am also going to scrog the 3 OG Haze plants in the 4x4 veg tent and flower them as well under the 400w solarsystem 550 LED. I have a 400w hps setup that I might throw in the 4x4 tent with the LED for some serious light.

2 clones of OG #1, and 1 clone of OG #2

4 clones of GC #1

All rammed into my 4x4 veg tent....things are getting tight

been busy these last few weeks....been drying and trimming some nice bud! i got about 14oz in total once i had everything dried and jarred. I try and hit the 20-24oz mark in my 5x5 tent but since I was experimenting with these new strains I`m happy with that.

i have got the four green crack clones scrogged in the 5x5 tent last week monday, and the OG1 and OG2 clones were scrogged in the 4x4 tent last tuesday.

I did have a bit of a hiccup...when i put the last plant in the 4x4 tent i put a res bucket on the air line of another plant. I saw some leaves starting to go yellow 3-4 days later but i though it was just a nitrogen diff as I had fed them a weak nute solution after the scrog. I did not look in the res of the suffocating plant until 5 days after the scrog...there was a film on the surface of the res....gross, jesus, fuck, wow, fuck! i freed up the pinched air line and threw another air line in the res as well, changed out half the res for fresh water too. she is on the mend now.

The 2 OG1`s and 1 OG2. There were so lush and bushy I had to cut a lot off of them to get them scrogged out.

The 4 GC1`s looking nice as well. They really grew tall as I only gave them 4-5 tops, perfect for scrogging in the 5x5 tent. They were actually too tall, I could have scrogged them a few weeks earlier. They filled the whole 5x5 tent easily.

These pics below I took yesterday, a week after the scrog. They have all bounced back and grown at least 4-6 inches in a week. I just flipped them to 12/12 this evening!

I am switching my nutes from foxfarm to GH flora nova series. I`m pumped to see what this new lineup can do - they have a lot more potassium which is what i think the foxfarm lacks. I will also be running FulPower fulvic acid, protekt silica, calmag+, terpinator and botanicare raw for sweeteners (which is what my last grow lacked as I ran out of sugaree sweetener halfway through), hydroguard for bennies, hygrozyme for enzymes, and a combo of fox farm bloom booster and earthjuice PK 16/16. I am going to make the occasional tea with the hydroguard, fulvic acid, and botanicare raw sweetener once a week as well.

Since both of my tents are now in use for the next 8-9 weeks, i have got some panda film and i am going to fix up a closet as a veg tent...never thought i`d be back growing in a closet again lol. My next run is going to be my OG2 clone (crop king), corleone kush (cali connection), space queen (tba cubcool), and OG 18 (dna genetics). That....I think, could be an all star lineup! The clones were cut last week, and the seeds are getting popped this week. I`m looking forward to seeing what these new strains are like...i might do a grow journal, not sure yet. If anyone has tried any of these strains please let me know how they grow.

I am going to keep this grow journal in progress and will post some pics of how the OG and GC from crop king come out in this current run.

smoke time:roorrip:

yeah i have to admit it`s starting to get out of control. I fully intended to veg in the 4x4 tent and flower in the 5x5 tent, but I ended up with too many plants lol. I would like to point out that we both have 8 plants going right now - i`m just a month ahead of you:D;)

three months ago I took clones of the GC and the OG1 and OG2 before I flowered them as I didn`t know which cuts I wanted to keep...when it came to throwing some out last month they all looked so nice I had to keep them all, and thus ended up using both tents to flower in. it is a lot of work sometimes but once you get a process down and get things dialed in then it isn`t too hard to manage. getting them scrogged is a feckin process!

i tend to do perpetual grows with clones (seeds are hard to come by where I live) but want to pop these new strains as they are supposed to be quality. right now I`m hunting for 2-3 killer strains to keep and run for the next few years.

i get excited thinking about what great weed could be hiding inside that little seed!

Back
Top Bottom