Jon's First Outdoor Grow: Sugar Breath Photoperiod & Strawberry Banana Autoflower

There Be Frost Here!
(Use Captain Ahab voice)
CJS Apple Blossom
Grow Day 83
Flower Day 23

This morning I took careful ppfd measurements with the Phototone app, being careful to get a nice steady hold on the phone for the readings. I measured in the exact middle beneath the light, then a small ring around the center dot, then expanded to the outer ring, and then took measurements on each of the most outer buds, either the ones one the walls or as close to the corner as they come.

Here's what I'm working with at the moment:

Center - 1260 ppfd
Center Ring - 1310 - 1290 ppfd
Outer Ring - 1120 to 1040 ppfd
Edges/Corners - every reading was at least 960 ppfd

The plant is loving it. The @NextLight 420h just shreds a 3x3. Destroys it. It's amazing. To have my very lowest reading on a canopy almost at 1000 is stupendous. The only light I have that can provide a more consistent footprint than that is the big girl in the 5x5. Again, bravo NextLight.

So why would the very center spot in the canopy be slightly lower than the little ring directly around it? I believe it is due to the design of the light. There's a square, small plastic cap-type piece right in the middle of the light and there are no LEDs there. So it's a very small spot of less light - totally inconsequential but interesting. Also interesting is that when I say this light shreds a 3x3, I mean it SHREDS it. If I crank the light to 100% (it's at approximately 60%, lol) the ppfd in the center is 1960!!!!!! That's completely insane. This plant will never see numbers higher than she's at now, and even though it's an approximation, 60% is pretty crazy low. Guess I'm saving a few pennies on electricity. Heh.

For those of you who are cringing at the ppfd numbers thinking they're too high, I get it. But they're not. Just look at the plant and you can easily see. No leaf curling. No taco-ing. No tips curling up or down. Nothing but snow white pistils not burned or browned on top. And a 45 degree prayer angle constantly, sometimes even more depending on minor temperature and RH variations. By all observational assessments this plant is loving these ppfd numbers, and I've burned enough plants now that I *think* I have a handle on this at this point. If I lower the power on the light and the ppfd numbers from where they are I get this crazy prayer angle which clearly is the plant saying "more light please, now." So we'll go with it for now. Constant reassessment.

Anyway, other than that she looks good, smells more and more like sweet green apples every day, and is starting to frost up.

Here's our girl today:

EDIT: I looked a bit closer and we're gonna scale it back just a touch. Minor minor browning on a pistil or two I didn't notice the first time. Easy. Scaled it back about 100-150 points across the board.

2 11 friday.jpg

2 11 friday 2.jpg

Cool frosty.jpg
That's a beautiful workout for the 420h! I can't wait to fire mine up! All this 420h talk is getting me all hot for the day Jon!

That's a beautiful workout for the 420h! I can't wait to fire mine up! All this 420h talk is getting me all hot for the day Jon!
Yeah SO, we've talked about our mutual love for this light. It really does rock. It would be totally adequate, more than, for even a 4x4, easy. Wait till you get a handle on how sweetly sensitive the dimmer is!

Let's hope it creates such a positive motion for her that it could happen! She has what it takes!
I don't think anyone could stop this chick if they tried. She's an animal. Don't forget she can't hear. Imagine. And it doesn't slow her down in the least. :adore:

I don't think anyone could stop this chick if they tried. She's an animal. Don't forget she can't hear. Imagine. And it doesn't slow her down in the least. !:adore:
I think of that and how it's not fair to the rest of us that hear reasonable well :rofl: . All kidding aside it's a hard earned superpower that she chooses as a gift to us all here! She sees what I can't until explained, and then I'm usually iffy.

Obligatory Trichome Shots from Cocotown
Flower Day 70

Both of these girls have what I would describe as a very long window in terms of trichome change. I'm very surprised the Strawberry Lemonade still looks like this. The Dos Si Dos is very similar. These damn plants may finish at the same time, which would make trim jail that much more of a treat. Oh well, at least then I could dry them in the tent. It looks to me from the pics that these could have all come from the same plant.

So here's the state of affairs today, first two Strawberry Lemonade, one of which includes a nice hair, second two Dos Si Dos.

SL tr 2 2 11 with hair.jpg

SL tr 1 2 11.jpg

DSD tr 2 2 11.jpg

DSD tr 1 2 11.jpg
Love the close ups....and I would t have noticed the hair if ya didn't mention it ;):laugh:

Ooo new seeds! It is a terrible problem the whole needing to keep more seeds thing lol.

IMG_20220211_215435.jpg

Hehe but who can say no?
I hear you. Don't you hate when they don't list the genetics on the freebies?

Hey @Emilya, this is as good a spot as any to ask you a question if you don't mind - I heard you say once that 62% is for curing and 58% is for long term storage. I have my head stash jars made and they're ready to go away now for months. Does "months" constitute long term storage, ie, should I switch them up to the 58% ones? Or for that time should I keep the 62% ones in? Think at least three months, likely longer.

Thanks!

Hey @Emilya, this is as good a spot as any to ask you a question if you don't mind - I heard you say once that 62% is for curing and 58% is for long term storage. I have my head stash jars made and they're ready to go away now for months. Does "months" constitute long term storage, ie, should I switch them up to the 58% ones? Or for that time should I keep the 62% ones in? Think at least three months, likely longer.

Thanks!
Free Cannabis Seeds With Every Order | Weed Seeds For Free

Good amount of info on them here. The Runtz Punch and banana punch will be my main runs anyway. The freebies are just extras I dunno what to do with ATM lol.

I've had to turn down 2 sponsors lol. I just don't have the space and time for more

There Be Frost Here!
(Use Captain Ahab voice)
CJS Apple Blossom
Grow Day 83
Flower Day 23

This morning I took careful ppfd measurements with the Phototone app, being careful to get a nice steady hold on the phone for the readings. I measured in the exact middle beneath the light, then a small ring around the center dot, then expanded to the outer ring, and then took measurements on each of the most outer buds, either the ones one the walls or as close to the corner as they come.

Center - 1260 ppfd

The plant is loving it. The @NextLight 420h just shreds a 3x3. Destroys it. It's amazing. To have my very lowest reading on a canopy almost at 1000 is stupendous. The only light I have that can provide a more consistent footprint than that is the big girl in the 5x5. Again, bravo NextLight.

So why would the very center spot in the canopy be slightly lower than the little ring directly around it? I believe it is due to the design of the light. There's a square, small plastic cap-type piece right in the middle of the light and there are no LEDs there. So it's a very small spot of less light - totally inconsequential but interesting. Also interesting is that when I say this light shreds a 3x3, I mean it SHREDS it. If I crank the light to 100% (it's at approximately 60%, lol) the ppfd in the center is 1960!!!!!! That's completely insane. This plant will never see numbers higher than she's at now, and even though it's an approximation, 60% is pretty crazy low. Guess I'm saving a few pennies on electricity. Heh.

For those of you who are cringing at the ppfd numbers thinking they're too high, I get it. But they're not. Just look at the plant and you can easily see. No leaf curling. No taco-ing. No tips curling up or down. Nothing but snow white pistils not burned or browned on top. And a 45 degree prayer angle constantly, sometimes even more depending on minor temperature and RH variations. By all observational assessments this plant is loving these ppfd numbers, and I've burned enough plants now that I *think* I have a handle on this at this point. If I lower the power on the light and the ppfd numbers from where they are I get this crazy prayer angle which clearly is the plant saying "more light please, now." So we'll go with it for now. Constant reassessment.

Anyway, other than that she looks good, smells more and more like sweet green apples every day, and is starting to frost up.

Here's our girl today:

EDIT: I looked a bit closer and we're gonna scale it back just a touch. Minor minor browning on a pistil or two I didn't notice the first time. Easy. Scaled it back about 100-150 points across the board.

2 11 friday.jpg

2 11 friday 2.jpg

Cool frosty.jpg
Good looking bro

Thanks!
As long as you are willing to keep up with it and keep burping the jars every month or so, the 62s can help keep you in the range even with all that opening and closing of the jar. Once you are no longer willing to keep curing them, then put the 58 in there and put them in the pantry for a year or so.

I don't believe in using the packs until I reach a point where my RH is starting to leak away, so about the time I get to 61 or so I will throw one in to keep solidly in the cure range... I know they say it doesn't, but I think the paper itself drags away part of the taste, so I am very hesitant to use them, and only when I need to.

As long as you are willing to keep up with it and keep burping the jars every month or so, the 62s can help keep you in the range even with all that opening and closing of the jar. Once you are no longer willing to keep curing them, then put the 58 in there and put them in the pantry for a year or so.

I don't believe in using the packs until I reach a point where my RH is starting to leak away, so about the time I get to 61 or so I will throw one in to keep solidly in the cure range... I know they say it doesn't, but I think the paper itself drags away part of the taste, so I am very hesitant to use them, and only when I need to.
Interesting. Thanks. I don't like the paper either. I use all natural Infinity moisture exchange packs. Same thing. But I believe the paper is different. Maybe not.

Ooo new seeds! It is a terrible problem the whole needing to keep more seeds thing lol.

IMG_20220211_215435.jpg

Hehe but who can say no?
You and I are on approximately the same schedule in terms of opening up a tent. I have the Barney's Farm Tropicanna Banana. It might be fun to do a banana grow at the same time and maybe even synch some updates in some fashion, a dedicated, Barney's Banana Grow. Tee hee, as it were. I'm considering all options. The catalog is rich at the moment. I'll never be able to decide. LOL.

There Be Frost Here!
(Use Captain Ahab voice)
CJS Apple Blossom
Grow Day 83
Flower Day 23

Center - 1260 ppfd

Here's our girl today:

2 11 friday.jpg

2 11 friday 2.jpg

Cool frosty.jpg
No new pics today, so I'm just posting about this plant as a reply to the last post. I had to lower the power on the light again this morning. They're still going vertical a bit. Damn. Two days ago when I set them and then scaled them back 100 points across the board (regarding light level), they ended up at around 1150, which is where this plant seems to like it best and where I want to keep it despite my natural tendency to want to go higher. I'm reading the plant, and I've now seen her at all combinations. After careful observation, it seems mid 1100s to 1200 is where she likes it. That's when I get what I consider to be optimum prayer angle, and when I get ALL the buds praying, vs. if it's too high they go flat, starting in the center where the most light is. Anyway, today I measured again and she had grown upwards enough that she was now reading in the damn 1400s! Ugh. I looked REAL close and there are the tiniest of yellow tips starting, and that's purely from too much light. Obviously I backed her down, so now she's at 1150 max, 840 minimum on the far edges/corners. It's more than enough for fat buds and I gotta remember that instead of overdoing it, even if this one was unintentional. Also gonna go to daily measuring for a few more days cuz she is stubbornly wanting to get a little taller still. You can see the tiniest of yellow tips I'm referring to in the picture above this post. Check out the tip at about 8 o'clock. There's one at about 3 o'clock as well. They should be green to the end and the very end is yellowing just a bit. Glad I caught this sooner than later. I thought she was done with vertical growth and she's sneaky about it. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom