Kali Mist CFL Scrog Grow Journal - 05-19-13

That's freaking awesome! Is that what is inside that wood cabinet? I don't know if it is because those are close up shots or what... But that looks like a large grow for CFL's and... your killing it! In a good way :) :rofl:

I am guessing at least 70 days total flowering before harvest.

Nice! pseudo +reps. (just gave you some so I can't this soon) Got to spread the love baby! :thumb:

Heres their replacement. It looks like superman got a hold of this plant lol
IMG_60811.JPG

First thing I thought of was "Pinhead" from Hellraiser :thedoubletake:

do you think a fluor lumen is better quality than a hid lumen? does this mean anything to the plants? I know fluors have a higher color rendering index compared to hids. something like 20 vs 80. ive always wondered this.

also, what color temp does a fluor burn without any of that coating they add to change color temp?

I think a more balanced spectrum is a good thing between red and blue light. I Don't think the plant interprets Different types of Lights lumens differently, its all the same. HID>Flouro. I'd want Lumens with better penetration over Lumens that diminish quickly over a few inches.

Copy & Paste from wiki - take it as a grain of salt. I havent the slightest idea what causes a CFL spectrum to vary between 2700k and 6500k, but this makes sense and I'll accept it for now. :)

CFLs emit light from a mix of phosphors inside the bulb, each emitting one band of color. Modern phosphor designs balance the emitted light color, energy efficiency, and cost. Every extra phosphor added to the coating mix improves color rendering but decreases efficiency and increases cost. Good quality consumer CFLs use three or four phosphors to achieve a "white" light with a color rendering index (CRI) of about 80, where the maximum 100 represents the appearance of colors under daylight or a black-body (depending on the correlated color temperature).

I don't think you want to stress it to hermie from what I understand. I believe it will only get you more hermies that will propagate into hermies around the time you hermied the mother. Hmmm I am no expert on this but...

From what I understand is that if you just let it grow way past its cycle it will pop out those bananas that have the female pollen. If it does that then collect it or put it on some other Kali plants to pollinate them. I am guessing since the plant is way past it cycle it is better to pollinate a fresher plant with the pollen.

From looking at Northern Light bananas I have only seen like 6 pollen per banana.

:goodluck:

I'm not too sure on the subject of producing seeds. Your advice sounds good. I've read about it in the past but can't really recall much of what I read at the moment. only coillidal silver or something like that. JohnC is producing seeds in his journal, I'll probably follow in his example if I choose to do this. :) Lot of research to do in the next week or so regarding the subject :)

Thank you jeff! :) i installed the light fixture, its a quarter inch too wide! The doors dont shut all the way lmao... Here we go again lol gotta saw off a half inch on both sides and cut the acrylic down. I dont know how I'm gonna take an inch off the acrylic going length wise 34" i want to saw it with a regular skill saw but i dont want to ruin it. My carpentry skills stink, couldnt find info in fsvor of a normal saw blade. Im open to ideas! Ill be back later, work to do

Thank you jeff! :) i installed the light fixture, its a quarter inch too wide! The doors dont shut all the way lmao... Here we go again lol gotta saw off a half inch on both sides and cut the acrylic down. I dont know how I'm gonna take an inch off the acrylic going length wise 34" i want to saw it with a regular skill saw but i dont want to ruin it. My carpentry skills stink, couldnt find info in fsvor of a normal saw blade. Im open to ideas! Ill be back later, work to do
Take some masking tape and wrap where you want to cut the acrylic turn your saw blade around backwards then do your cut. Not a 100% guarantee that it wont chip but it should work:)
Happy Tokesday C!
oh and try to keep your acrylic from vibrating when you cut. even stick it on a scrap piece of plywood and cut both at the same time.

:cheer:

lol fishy :cheer:

Its officially inside and been running for an hour. The acrylic is pretty "warm" to the touch but not hot, it could be a bit much for the girls to touch the acrylic so the plant tips are about half an inch below the acylic and 1 1/2" - 2" below the CFL's. I'm sure the tips could touch the acrylic without any problems, but better safe than sorry.

Cabinet temps are 79F with the doors shut. much lower than 93F without it. room temperature is probably 74-76F gonna check it and edit the temp later.

IMG_62581.JPG
IMG_62692.JPG
IMG_6259.JPG
IMG_62612.JPG
IMG_6262.JPG
IMG_62631.JPG
IMG_6265.JPG
IMG_62661.JPG

looks awesome! honestly though i would have just purchased a 400-600 watt cool tube. they are not that expensive lol

looks awesome! honestly though i would have just purchased a 400-600 watt cool tube. they are not that expensive lol
thats no fun but I would have too:)

Hiya b.real, i agree and i will purchase an hps cooltube in the coming months :). Its impossible for an hps to work in my cabinet, simply dont have the height for it. All in all im looking at a tent - $100 s&p fan about $270 i need a silent fan since its in my bedroom. Cheapest hps cooltube 160, Minimum cost to make an hps cooltube work for me $550, quite a bit of cheddar. Good news is i most likely landed a job as a manager so money isnt really an issue anymore after the next few months :) with this cfl fixture i pretty much had all the stuff laying around except the bulbs.

Now that the fixture has been running for some time, its evident theres too much heat to keep tips any closer than 2-4" from the cfls. The exhaust is nothing but hot air, if it was maybe 50cfm stronger this wouldnt be an issue. I'm glad my cabinet temps are cool my carbon scrubber is doing its job and theres no need for the ona gels anymore.

I ran some tests. My bedroom temp is 77F. The cabinet temp with the new light fixture is 83F thats also with 2 55w cfl running in the cabinet as well which puts out a lot of heat just those 2 bulbs. without the fan exhausting the light fixture itself and only the cabinet temps got to 101F in about 5-10 minutes. I leveled out my entire canopy just taking a wild guess but id say light penetration is strong down to 4-5" of my canopy my canopy is 9" at the tallest point and 3" between the plant tips to the acrylic cover

Once october comes and temps drop i have some ideas by combining LST with scrog and my CFL fixture to get a really thick canopy of buds. The lst would be applied at day 21 like defoliation after the stretch since lst still stresses a plant. With cold temps the tips can touch the acrylic no problem so light penetration should easily penetrate the entire canopy. i have a vision in my head for the next scrog grow and I'm gonna do everything to make that vision a reality. My vision is to see 34"x8" worth of bud with barely no space in between them. If a scrog is supposed to be 1 top per square i want 2 tops per square lol. Tops that stretch over 8" will be bent parallel to the screen, its gonna be a tight squeeze

Happy Weednesday C:) and thank you for the rep:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom