Katyjane420's Rock Steady Cookies Auto, DWC, First Grow

katyjane420

Welcome! Come stay a while. This is from day 1. I am not received a single package or a seed yet. Everything is on the way. I am happy to be here and I look forward to learning with everyone. Please feel free to give advice as well as constructive criticism. I have never kept a plant alive, I'm going to make a lot of mistakes. Let's have some fun!

Although, I bought more than one seed, it has been a household decision that I start with one. One of the main worries is the smell of the plant. If it's bad, I have to get rid of it. This will take place in the closet of my second room in a townhouse.

Seed - Auto Rock Steady Cookies (aka RSC) - Royal Society Cookies x Cascadian Blueberry (I bought a five pack)
- I do not know anything more about this.

Tent - VIVOSUN 48"x24"x60" Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent with Observation Window and Floor Tray for Indoor Plant Growing 2'x4'
- I bought this based on size and price. I did buy a bigger one than planned (oops), but I got one heck of a sale. I was originally going to buy a 2x2 tent.
- My tent has just arrived! I have to wait until tonight to put it up.

Lights - LED
- 100 Watts
- Ideal for a 2x2 garden. (mistake made?) I think I'll be fine with my one plant.
- I bought this because of the price and it states it's 50% less heat and power consumption. I'm trying to be cost efficient.

Container - Deep Water Culture Hydroponic 4-Plant System
- Four 5 Gal. blacks, four 6 mesh bucket lids, 10 l of grow rocks, air pump, four 2 round air stones, 40 ft. of uncut air tubbing, pH test kit and each bucket has a water level indicator and predrilled air tube hole
- I jumped the gun on this purchase. I should have saved some money with this and just got one bucket. I'll use the extra for reserve (or hopefully in the future)

Nutrition - General Hydroponics FloraNova Grow & Bloom - 1 Pint Each
- FloraNova Grow 7 - 4 - 10
- FloraNova Bloom 4 - 8 - 7
- I am definitely going to just stick to bottle instructions.

Hope you enjoyed the first update. I'm going to go set up my tent!

I am loving this color! Anya says hi!

image.jpg

Congratulations @katyjane420 and :welcome: I'm definitely along for the ride. You must be very excited to get started.

There are a couple of things i just wanted to mention
One of the main worries is the smell of the plant. If it's bad, I have to get rid of it. This will take place in the closet of my second room in a townhouse.
I have exactly the same worry. My circumstances are similar to yours in terms of location. I run a 5" Fan and Carbon Filter (similar to Dusty) in each of my 4x4 tents. I run a 4" in my 2 x 4 tent. I think you may get away with a 4" Fan and Carbon filter for your space. Fan and Filter are a must have if you want to conceal smell. Not so much in Veg, but definitely for Flower.
Lights - LED
- 100 Watts
- Ideal for a 2x2 garden. (mistake made?) I think I'll be fine with my one plant.
- I bought this because of the price and it states it's 50% less heat and power consumption. I'm trying to be cost efficient.
That will be fine for this run for a single plant :thumb:
Container - Deep Water Culture Hydroponic
Wow, throwing yourself at the deep end.....I did too ;) But i absolutely love growing in Coco too. Have you looked into this? One can also achieve monster yields in Coco. If i were in your position though, honestly, I would probably go with Coco because of the size of your space. But i admire your enthusiasm :Namaste: If you wanna go DWC, I'm sure you'll make it work
Nutrition - General Hydroponics FloraNova Grow & Bloom - 1 Pint Each
- FloraNova Grow 7 - 4 - 10
- FloraNova Bloom 4 - 8 - 7
- I am definitely going to just stick to bottle instructions.
Might i suggest 2 more things that are a must when growing DWC and LED:
- A CalMag supplement (I recommend GHE CaliMagic)
- Hydroguard - Helps prevent and cure root rot. If you are not going to be using a water chiller, this (or something similar, but preferably this) is a must have. I wouldn't grow DWC unless I had this, or a chiller.

We can help you cover mixing nutrients a little later. Sorry for the really long message.

Looking forward to it. I'm in :peace:

Good luck putting up your tent

I'm in bro, gonna be interesting I'm sure.
I grow in soil so I'll probably just seat back and enjoy the ride, occasionally dropping a wowza and dam and stuff lol.

Did you just buy like a 12 times the size tent you was gonna intentionally?? Lol crazy! Enjoy!!

Alright friends. So my tent is too big and won’t fit in my closet. I’m going to need to take it apart and put it back together in the closet. It’s do able, but it’s going to be frustrating.

All of your comments have been so helpful. I have GHE CaliMagic and Hydroguard in my cart.

I am looking into buying fans with carbon filters. If anyone could expand on this, it would really help me. I don’t know anything about this.

I’ve never owned a light with so much power. I’m excited to get it up. (Once the tent is in the closet)

my seeds have arrived. I will be using the paper towel method to germinate.

I plan to start germinating on Monday.

I hope you all have a fantastic Valentine’s Day weekend. I’m currently on a mini vacation with my lady. I’m having a blast. We went to the aquarium today!

take care my friends.

All of your comments have been so helpful. I have GHE CaliMagic and Hydroguard in my cart.
You won't regret it :thumb:
I am looking into buying fans with carbon filters. If anyone could expand on this, it would really help me. I don’t know anything about this.
You want to make sure you have a fan that is capable to clearing the volume of your tent at least once per minute. This is measured in CFM: Cubic Feet per Minute. To work out what you need, I use this calculation:

(L x W x H) / Number of exchanges per minute * carbon filter factor * ducting factor = Required CFM

For for your space:
4ft x 2ft x 5ft / 1minute = 40cfm
40cfm + 25% = 50cfm (+ 25% due to using carbon filter)
50cfm + 5% = 52.5cfm (+5% for every 5 feet of ducting and assuming you have no bends).
Add 20% for every 90degree angle in your ducting.

So lets call it an even 100cfm you would require - max! A 4" extractor fan and filter should be more than enough. Have a look around online for calculations to work out how powerful your fan needs to be. You will find calculations similar to this one - then try and find the Airflow on the fan, in CFM when shopping around.

What are some good goals for my first grow? I’d like some end goals, but I don’t know where to begin.
Agree with @VetSmoke85 - just enjoy it. Don't concern yourself with yield.

Being DWC, If you want to challenge yourself, give yourself the goal of creating a nice healthy root system for your lady. Healthy roots, healthy canopy, and ultimately healthy flowers.

Doing an autoflower I would just make it a goal to get it to live for 3 weeks without being stunted.
If you can manage that you're golden.
I'm on my 1st grow. I'm growing gorilla glue autos. I'm at start of week 8. They're in flower now anticipating final product. My goal from start was/is a successful grow and learn. Next grow I will be more confident and work on yield. Plus it's been so much fun watching them grow and change everyday

I'm on my 1st grow. I'm growing gorilla glue autos. I'm at start of week 8. They're in flower now anticipating final product. My goal from start was/is a successful grow and learn. Next grow I will be more confident and work on yield. Plus it's been so much fun watching them grow and change everyday
You made it past week 3 and not stunted.
Its all downhill from there.

My goal is definitely to get to the finish line. I have no idea what the finish line looks like. That’s terrifying, but so so exciting.

Germinating soon.

I’m going to be so ecstatic if this seed pops!
I have to say that a seed popping is a fantastic thing!
I've only ever done clones before.
Watching that little bean pop and then grow is a beautiful thing.

Looks like you have a great setup going.
And a great bunch of supporters already.
:cheer:

Back
Top Bottom