LED - just a little teaser

With a 1000w HPS, I yielded 553gr on my last grow (again, not an "optimal" area either, I think I could have done better) and that was on a 1.5 month veg and 9.5 week flower. 2 - 450 is supposed to rival 2x 600w HPS so I could easily see the numbers you got in a 4x4 area with 2 of those lights.

I personally have not seen what it can do yet to the full extent so I am a little skeptical still but hopefully I will see the light! I would love to run 2x450 in my 2'x5' closet. I wanted to upgrade to 2x600w HPS but figured Id give LED a shot first. Ive honestly been a little confused by it all and the numbers.

I know they say the LED is equal to such and such HPS but I was not really sure about the yields. I would assume that if a 450 @ 275w is equal to a 600w HPS, that would mean yields are such. A 600w HPS should be able to yield on a decent grow .6g per watt (I think? Average). That means that the 450 would be doing about 1.25g per watt of output which is incredible really.

So far i'm about 3 possibly 4 weeks out from harvest, I got 900W LED and doing a 4x4 area and things are looking pretty good so far. As of right now it seems the 900 is doing better then the results i got from my 1000W HID. I'm tempted to possibly run both at the same time and just see :) Talking with a friend last night he mentioned the best stuff he ever had, a guy grew used 4 1000W in a 4x6 closest. Crazy but hard to argue with the outcome.

:peace:

How large do you want to grow them? I run 10 plants (3 gallon pots) in a 2'x5' area. Thats 10 sq ft (although not square). You are talking 32 sq feet just for one area. 20 plants in scrog would need to grow pretty large to fill the area. If you are dead set on LED, Id go with a 5 light setup for LED or 4x1000w HPS. 4x1000w HPS would cost quite a bit less on initial setup and I think in that area vs. 5 450 lights, would do better. If you went with 8 450 lights, it would be better in 8x8.

Im running my 1000w over a 3'x2' area currently and they are loving it. The sun outputs more light than we can ever give our plants indoors. I dont believe there is such thing as "too much".

There actually is too much and it happens most full sunny days. It's called photoinhibition. We won't get there inside, though imho. Oh...and your numbers are outrageous. Encouraging. I love it. I'm running a 600 in a 22in x 46in. Just started. Day 31. Pictures in photos forum.

Hey guys couldn't resist posting some of my recent journal pics The light is so damn crazy bright that a couple of them actually got a little light bleaching but they are doing just fine.

week 5 enjoy!

IMG_074837.JPG
IMG_074329.JPG
IMG_073623.JPG
IMG_072331.JPG
IMG_072232.JPG
IMG_072431.JPG

Man I love these lights!:tokin:

Very nice looking grows. Just looking at the pics I agree the HPS side looks bigger. The LED side is looking pretty good. I have found in past grows, sometimes you dont really know the outcome till harvest. The LED side could fill in and catch up.
I have a 300W LED which I just setup about 4 days ago. I just moved the light down to about 12 inches to see how the plants react.
I am myself moving to LED one step at a time. I initially jumped in and bought some lights that didnt measure up. I think the lights available today are the best yet and they should get better and cheaper.
I will probably get another if this first one pans out.
Thanks guys for taking the time to post your pics and show your progress.

Love that new look! Here's a few shots of my Critical
30133.JPG
24177.JPG
23199.JPG
25176.JPG
21848.JPG

a58dguy: Wow I am fast becoming a believer, nice work on the plants. Obviously your doing something right.
I’ve been using a 300w for about a week.......and am getting ready to order another one.
Thanks for the pics.

PS: How far above the plants are your lights?

For the majority of the grow I kept the light 14-16' above the main canopy which usually gave at least 12' from all tops...Currently about the same, maybe 9' at the closest points.

That is exactly what I am planning to do, but in a 5x5x5. Do you think lights would be too close to the canopy?
Hey TH3, check out the brackets I made for my lights. I gained a good 7-8 " of travel for the lights. Granted they are on P-150s, but the same can be done for any light. I had a problem with running out of room. Just an idea. 5' isn't much head room.

"There are numerous reports from people who buy the knockoffs and have problems with them."
From my reading there are far more reports of people buying "brand" priced LED lamps and feeling swindled. There are a few current threads discussing precisely that situation.

I am coming up on year 2 of my lamp. I bought it on ebay from a vendor with thousands of positives and not a single neg. It is a well known brand that works great, is well tested and very inexpensive. Im looking around for a new lamp right now. I checked out one and lol i was shocked by the pricing. I agree some of the internals may be different but really how much better than a legit, experienced, well funded Chinese mfg. could they be? Its not like the best spectrums aren't well known.

Also LED technology is rapidly advancing. Why invest in the latest marginal improvements at a considerable premium when the basic effective workhorse is about 50% less. There will be more improvements coming nextyear but the low hanging fruit is picked. Those fractional improvements would not be worth huge premiums in my view.

I found out quickly cheap LED lights are risky. The first LED light I bought was over 100 dollars on Amazon. The light is from a legitimate company but it would literally not grow anything. So I wasted the 100 dollars and decided my next light would be a legit setup. I spent 900 dollars and it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom