"Likes" page has changed

ah shit there's no like button :rofl:

When you post there won't be any like buttons until you refresh the page. We're working on a different function than the like button. This function tracks the likes and takes you directly to the post you left that someone's "liked". An invaluable feature to the over-subscribed.

When you post there won't be any like buttons until you refresh the page. We're working on a different function than the like button. This function tracks the likes and takes you directly to the post you left that someone's "liked". An invaluable feature to the over-subscribed.

LOL yeah I was wondering about the non-link from the likes page. I figured the staff was dealing with the aftermath of an update or server migration. I've seen plenty in my day. Then I saw this thread.

Thank you for the Enlikenment!

I am not really enjoying this new system off the bat...

-Firstly, I have a bunch of likes that have disappeared off of posts in my journal that were there this morning. Normally I would not mind, but I use the likes to track who is reading my (and others') posts so I can check out their journals and share the love and participate.

-When I go to my control panel I am now flooded with everything I liked instead of just the likes people gave me like it used to be. And when I furiously click on "likes received" nothing happens. Again, I like to see who likes my posts so I can then participate with them. As is, having the default page show both my likes and others likes makes it harder to dig through and find who is reading my stuff.

-Just from a stylistic stand point I don't really dig the font/bolding of the new Thank | Like buttons.

-To me it seems a little redundant that we can now Thank, Like, and give reps all for the same post. Likes and reps worked fine before. So why change it?

-Here's the real kicker for me...why did you guys think it was necessary to put the stats of each member into every single post, and then on top of that create a whole new metric for which we can be measured (Thanks)? Is the aim of this site to now collect points and display them for others to see? If I wanted shares and points I could just leave this site and get all my jollies on other Social Media venues. Seriously, this seems to be a change away from what this site is intended for. You mods wont allow us to openly talk about vendors who do not sponsor this site because of spamming, yet you create a system that appears to reward an onslaught of empty content-less posts. In other words, is this site now about quantity over quality? If that's the direction this place is going then I will probably either entirely boycott the voting system, or stop participating in journals other than my own and the few others that don't spend their lives on here and chase points.

An interesting perspectives CC, because as many posts as I have, it's never been about a points count, and when I read that it kinda made my brain hurt that anyone would be shallow enough to be so concerned with counts.

I've always used the likes to note that I agreed with the statement or as a marker that I'd been there. I was pleased with the thanks button. We just aren't familiar with that one yet and so it appears to be redundant, but it isn't at all, if you think about it.

With every new overhaul there are periods of adjustment and this is precisely the kind of feedback they're probably hoping for.

I agree with the mass of notifications, but again, I'm just feeling my way through it. Let me go back and explore the page.

-Firstly, I have a bunch of likes that have disappeared off of posts in my journal that were there this morning. Normally I would not mind, but I use the likes to track who is reading my (and others') posts so I can check out their journals and share the love and participate.

-When I go to my control panel I am now flooded with everything I liked instead of just the likes people gave me like it used to be. And when I furiously click on "likes received" nothing happens. Again, I like to see who likes my posts so I can then participate with them. As is, having the default page show both my likes and others likes makes it harder to dig through and find who is reading my stuff.

-Just from a stylistic stand point I don't really dig the font/bolding of the new Thank | Like buttons.

-To me it seems a little redundant that we can now Thank, Like, and give reps all for the same post. Likes and reps worked fine before. So why change it?

-Here's the real kicker for me...why did you guys think it was necessary to put the stats of each member into every single post, and then on top of that create a whole new metric for which we can be measured (Thanks)? Is the aim of this site to now collect points and display them for others to see? If I wanted shares and points I could just leave this site and get all my jollies on other Social Media venues. Seriously, this seems to be a change away from what this site is intended for. You mods wont allow us to openly talk about vendors who do not sponsor this site because of spamming, yet you create a system that appears to reward an onslaught of empty content-less posts. In other words, is this site now about quantity over quality? If that's the direction this place is going then I will probably either entirely boycott the voting system, or stop participating in journals other than my own and the few others that don't spend their lives on here and chase points.

if someone posted something on your grow log, praising something that you have done or said, you may want to "thank" them...

It may not even merit an additional comment, but you can click "thank" and that says it...

Whereas "liking" can be used in a much wider context, not necessarily thanking the poster, but agreeing or appreciating what they have said...

I will find occassions to use both of these, and I hope that you do too CC... I am going to go on the record to say that I like the new system... also hope that they will be able to isolate out the incoming and outgoing likes and thanks, but so far, this is much improved, and now we can click back to see what thread is being referred to. Good job admin folks!

One thing that makes this place so great in my mind is partially to blame for what I just read. Here at 420 it has become a home away from home for many of us. The people are so friendly, kind of makes you feel like "Norm" from the old TV series CHEERS. That being said it is very easy to feel like we have a vested interest in this site, but the reality of it is, we are guests here. And like a guest, I am not about to tell the real owner of this site how to run his/her site. I look at it like when I am at a friends house and they ask me to remove my shoes, I do so out of respect for them. At my house they can wear their shoes if they want, but that is my house. Today we are in their house.
While the way they run this site may seem silly or counter productive in your minds, please remember how this site got to where is was, is and will be. Not by your discussions or mine but by the people who own this house, so please take off your shoes, if just for a little while, join in on the fun and when you get back to your own home you can do like I do and wear your shoes anywhere you want.

Cheers mate and someday I hope we get to be friends
OG

if someone posted something on your grow log, praising something that you have done or said, you may want to "thank" them...

It many not even merit an additional comment, but you can click "thank" and that says it...

Whereas "liking" can be used in a much wider context, not necessarily thanking the poster, but agreeing or appreciating what they have said...

I will find occasions to use both of these, and I hope that you do too CC... I am going to go on the record to say that I like the new system... also hope that they will be able to isolate out the incoming and outgoing likes and thanks, but so far, this is much improved, and now we can click back to see what thread is being referred to. Good job admin folks!

That's what reps were for. If you think a post went above and beyond you sent them a rep point with a message attached. AND they were more special to me because the amount you can give out to an individual is limited.

Also, you used to be able to go through likes and link back to the original post. Then something happened and that function disappeared. With this update they just fixed what was broken in that regard.

You can like all the changes if you want. More power to you. I'm just stating my opinion. To reiterate, my biggest gripe now is that apparently showing off all you points is a direction the mods want to take this site in. I think it is odd that on one of the most heavily regulated and moderated cannabis forums, which prides itself on quality over quantity, the mods are now creating a system to show off flare.

Maybe others don't care. Again, more power to you. But I think this fix introduced alot of unnecessary fluff that serves no purpose when they could have fixed all the other dozen and a half things about this site that are awkward.

Those missing likes are still being imported from before, so far over 3 million and going. Please be patient as this process finishes.

This again is due to the likes still being imported. Sorry, but we had to install the program before importing the likes. There was no other way.

I agree and have requested the text links be non bolded. It's going to take a bit of time to dial everything in, if you could have seen what we went though over the last month getting it to where it is now, your head would spin.

It's one thing to like a post, it's something else to give someone rep points, however in neither of those scripts does it actually thank the person for donating their valuable time and energy to help others. It's a no brainer, in my opinion. I say thank you a hundred times a day here with icons, would love to click a link and have them build up thanks, it feels just as good, if not better, than likes and reps.

We are working on implementing these things to the live site today, please help us out by reporting any issues you encounter and we'll get them sorted as fast as possible. :thanks:

We're doing the best we can to make you all happy, so please communicate with us like mature adults. We're working our asses off to make this the best place for you. If you don't like something, then bring it up in a positive manner and we'll consider it. I'm not going to reply to all of this until we get everything done and everyone on the same page. :thanks:

An interesting perspectives CC, because as many posts as I have, it's never been about a points count, and when I read that it kinda made my brain hurt that anyone would be shallow enough to be so concerned with counts.

I've always used the likes to note that I agreed with the statement or as a marker that I'd been there. I was pleased with the thanks button. We just aren't familiar with that one yet and so it appears to be redundant, but it isn't at all, if you think about it.

With every new overhaul there are periods of adjustment and this is precisely the kind of feedback they're probably hoping for.

I agree with the mass of notifications, but again, I'm just feeling my way through it. Let me go back and explore the page.

I don't think this site is especially inundated with people who are chasing likes, but without a doubt those people exist here. They are everywhere on the internet. And more to the point, if those people don't exist here and no one is concerned with any of that then what is the point of displaying all this stuff now? If those people don't exist (and you might be right), this new system is a sure fire way to create those people.

We know that people lurk before they make up their minds as to whether they will join up or not. I believe I have seen you say that...I know I did that too. I lurked here and several other forums for months before signing up. A grand point system that is now more elaborate than pretty much any other cannabis forum is sure to attract people who are in it for the social gratification. That's scary to me because that's exactly what the mods here are fighting to keep out.

This will be fixed as soon as we get to it.
Also, you used to be able to go through likes and link back to the original post. Then something happened and that function disappeared. With this update they just fixed what was broken in that regard.

With all due respect, you could not be more wrong. Please calm down and wait until we get everything fixed, you're not doing anything but causing negative energy for yourself and the rest of us. The mods don't decide on what scripts and actions take place here, I do. If you have a problem with the way this website is run, rant to me and we'll get through it. :thumb:

You can like all the changes if you want. More power to you. I'm just stating my opinion. To reiterate, my biggest gripe now is that apparently showing off all you points is a direction the mods want to take this site in. I think it is odd that on one of the most heavily regulated and moderated cannabis forums, which prides itself on quality over quantity, the mods are now creating a system to show off flare.

We're doing the right thing for everyone here, you just don't understand that yet. If you have issues with other parts of the site, please contact us and we'll consider the changes, however I can assure you, it's most likely already on our list.

Maybe others don't care. Again, more power to you. But I think this fix introduced alot of unnecessary fluff that serves no purpose when they could have fixed all the other dozen and a half things about this site that are awkward.

That's what reps were for. If you think a post went above and beyond you sent them a rep point with a message attached. AND they were more special to me because the amount you can give out to an individual is limited.

One thing that makes this place so great in my mind is partially to blame for what I just read. Here at 420 it has become a home away from home for many of us. The people are so friendly, kind of makes you feel like "Norm" from the old TV series CHEERS. That being said it is very easy to feel like we have a vested interest in this site, but the reality of it is, we are guests here. And like a guest, I am not about to tell the real owner of this site how to run his/her site. I look at it like when I am at a friends house and they ask me to remove my shoes, I do so out of respect for them. At my house they can wear their shoes if they want, but that is my house. Today we are in their house.
While the way they run this site may seem silly or counter productive in your minds, please remember how this site got to where is was, is and will be. Not by your discussions or mine but by the people who own this house, so please take off your shoes, if just for a little while, join in on the fun and when you get back to your own home you can do like I do and wear your shoes anywhere you want.

Cheers mate and someday I hope we get to be friends
OG

I will respond to both your PM and post here.

I agree with your principles, and no I do not think you speaking your mind will keep us from getting along in the future. :) Please stop by my journal and have a read. Ask questions, tell me I made a mistake. That's what I enjoy.

That said, this is a home that WE ALL built. And one that we all help to shape everyday. More to the point, this is a Feedback sub. So I will give feedback since it seems to be requested of me by the mods.

With all due respect, you could not be more wrong. Please calm down and wait until we get everything fixed, you're not doing anything but causing negative energy for yourself and the rest of us. The mods don't decide on what scripts and actions take place here, I do. If you have a problem with the way this website is run, rant to me and we'll get through it. :thumb:

I am using "mods" as a catch all. I will use "Administrator" if that is more appropriate then. Also I am trying to be constructive. Not negative. Text doesn't convey tones very well. Perhaps the issue here is actually that I am cutting against the grain, so what I am saying makes everyone uncomfortable.

We're doing the right thing for everyone here, you just don't understand that yet. If you have issues with other parts of the site, please contact us and we'll consider the changes, however I can assure you, it's most likely already on our list.

With all due respect, you are doing what you think is best for your site. Not for everyone. At least not for me, and not for the people we know who have left this site over the same complaints I am making.

That's cool, though. Its your baby. I respect that. But I will speak my mind if I please. You have invited this kind of discourse, and I am being civil afterall. "Mature" as you put it.

edit: I did make a side remark about people who chase point. I will admit that it was negative.

If people are going to leave the site because of a couple of glitches we are fixing, that is their choice.

We can't please everyone, although we do spend countless hours trying. :peace:

I am using "mods" as a catch all. I will use "Administrator" if that is more appropriate then. Also I am trying to be constructive. Not negative. Text doesn't convey tones very well. Perhaps the issue here is actually that I am cutting against the grain, so what I am saying makes everyone uncomfortable.

With all due respect, you are doing what you think is best for your site. Not for everyone. At least not for me, and not for the people we know who have left this site over the same complaints I am making.

That's cool, though. Its your baby. I respect that. But I will speak my mind if I please. You have invited this kind of discourse, and I am being civil afterall. "Mature" as you put it.

edit: I did make a side remark about people who chase point. I will admit that it was negative.

If people are going to leave the site because of a couple of glitches we are fixing, that is their choice.

We can't please everyone, although we do spend countless hours trying. :peace:

I'll leave it here...

but, I dont care about glitches. Glitches can be fixed. For the most part, people don't leave this forum because of glitches. I was mostly commenting on the direction conceiving an even more elaborate point system would take this site. I think that is an opinion worth voicing.

Back
Top Bottom