About Skunk Special from Herbie's Seeds (from Female Seeds - Netherlands)

I couldn't find much about this strain, and I couldn't get a decent picture. here's what I have:

Skunk special, a 50/50 mix of Sativa and Indica, is a Cannabis strain that was initially a product of 3 races: Colombian, Mexican and Afghan. Much work has been done over the years to improve the quality of this strain in terms of its flowering time while retaining its iconic Skunk qualities.

The smell is described as very strong so carbon filters will be required.

Skunk special boasts of a sweet, fruit-like taste that makes every single consumption an enjoyable experience. The taste has the original pungent sweet and citrus flavour and the effects include a head-high that creeps in instantly, accompanied by a feeling of body-stone that comes in a little later.

Characteristics
Brand
: Female Seeds
Sex: Feminized
Flowering type: Photoperiod
Effect: Multidimensional journey
Genetics: Mexican, Colombian Sativa x Skunk
Height: 70 - 90 cm indoors
Yield: 400 - 450 g/m² indoors
Flowering: indoors 49 - 56 days
Genotype: 50% Sativa / 50% Indica
THC: 10 - 15 %
CBD: 1 %

Thanks for the tag, LKA. I found this info about your Special Skunk.

Is the Bud Factory the same grow tent you're growing your Fruit Punch in? So, do you have 2 @VIVOSUN automated grow tents now?

Thanks for the tag, LKA. I found this info about your Special Skunk.

Is the Bud Factory the same grow tent you're growing your Fruit Punch in? So, do you have 2 @VIVOSUN automated grow tents now?
Thanks for the link Hashgirl. The Fruit Punch is growing in the Playpen, my 32x32 tent. It started as a veg tent, then it was a mother/clone tent. It's working great with the @VIVOSUN Smart grow system :)

Date: 10/30/22 Day#7
Strain: Skunk Special fem photo seeds x 4
Grow Space: The Bud Factory - Sponsored by VIVOSUN
- Vivosun 48x48x80 tent
- Vivosun VSF6450 Foldable LED Grow Light @ 40%
- Vivosun AeroWave A6 Clip-on oscillating 6" fan
- 6" exhaust fan w/ controller
- 4" booster fan for air intake (Filtered)
- 12" floor fan + Oscillating tower fan
- 4 Site 13g RDWC system + 13g reservoir
- Vivosun 332 GPH Air Pump (14W 21L/min)
- Vivosun 2x4 Air Stones (x4)
- Small humidifier set to 65%
Nutrients - Stout MSA, Megacrop, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, Hydroguard, z7
Medium - 8" Netpots with clay balls in RDWC system (5x13g buckets)
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm/8.0pH)
Weekly Temperatures

When I said I was going tough love on them I meant it :) If I remember to keep the humidifier filled it's not too bad in there. When it runs out it gets hot and dry quickly.

The res is staying steady and ready for roots to start drinking.

These plants are growing like weeds in a sidewalk crack. The three bigger ones are moving along slowly, but I see progress. They now have names: Cindy, Suzy, & Sandy. They're all really compact and tight right now. I took a peek in the front two buckets, and both have roots just starting to hit the water.

The runt (Speck) is struggling and I'm not sure if she'll make it or not. The first leaf tips turned brown and I thought she was done, but it looks like she's still trying. She's probably too small to be in here, but I'm leaving her alone to see what happens. I can't see any roots from her, but she's in the back so it's hard to see down there. I'm still holding out hope that she'll pull through. I'm also starting some clones in my salad tent, just in case ;)

@VIVOSUN #VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow

Come on out of there you little cutie! :Rasta:
Thanks GDB, she can use all the cheerleaders she can get.
Kudos to your photographer! Nice step-by-step pictorial. :thumb:
Thanks Shed, my son took those and helped me with the rest :)
Looking good and very impressive. I totally agree with @InTheShed about your step by step tutorial .
Thanks Gary
Thanks for the tag!
Pulling up a seat for this :)
Welcome to the Skunk Show!

Date: 11/5/22 Day#13
- Vivosun 48x48x80 tent
- Small humidifier set to 70%
Weekly Temperatures

I have to fill the humidifier morning and night to keep it running at 65%, and I mostly remember. When I do, the growing conditions are pretty good. Since leaf surface temperatures are about 2f lower than ambient, and there's plenty of moisture coming up from the buckets, the VPD for the plants is actually quite a bit lower than it shows above.

I haven't really done anything to the res. I'll add Hydroguard or Z7 every once in a while, and I had to do a small pH adjustment, but that's it for the first two weeks. The level still hasn't gone down, but I expect that to change this week. Right now they are at 1g/G MC. I'll add another 1g/G this week, taking them up to around 500-600ppm (1-1.2ec).

I finally them all named so I can start tracking them individually. It looks like they responded pretty well to the 'tough love'.

Cindy, front right, is the leader so far. She has four nodes fully out and is working on her fifth. Her lower growth looks a little wonky but the new growth looks good. She'll probably be topped tomorrow.

Suzy, front left, is the healthiest looking so far. She has three nodes and is working on her fourth. Both of the front buckets are easy to check, and both have a nice little rootball down in the water.

Sandy, back right, is about the same size as Suzy, working on her fourth node. Her cotyledons turned yellow early, before her roots hit the bucket. The rest of her was going the same way, but she's looking better now.

And then there's Speck, in the back left. She took 7 days to come out of her shell, so was still really small when she went into the RDWC. She was the only one without any roots coming out of her plug on transplant. When her first leaf tips turned brown, I thought she was a goner. She's a fighter, though. I still don't see any roots out of the bucket for her, but she's trying. It looks like she may have self-topped, too.

Coming up to the third week and it looks like this grow may be picking up. I'll top them at the fifth node, then put the scrog net up. I'll wait to see how Speck progresses and play that by ear.

BudMan, I don't think you did yourself any favor by naming the little one "Speck." :laughtwo:

BudMan, I don't think you did yourself any favor by naming the little one "Speck." :laughtwo:
She's never going to be as big as her sisters. And even though I spell it 'Speck', it's short for SPECtacular, which we're sure she will be ;)
I wasn't sure she was going to make it until a day or two ago. I checked this morning, and Speck finally has roots in water. She doubled in size last night too, not that that says much ;)
I’m here!!! 🎊🎊💎💎🫡
Thanks for the tag bud man.
I’ll definitely be following along. Luckily I wasn’t 20 pages behind 😂
Welcome. You didn't miss much in the first two weeks. Now that everyone has roots in water it'll move a bit faster!

Thanks for the link Hashgirl. The Fruit Punch is growing in the Playpen, my 32x32 tent. It started as a veg tent, then it was a mother/clone tent. It's working great with the @VIVOSUN Smart grow system :)

I actually wanted to know if you were planning on growing these plants in another @VIVOSUN Smart Grow System like the one the Fruit Punch is in.

I actually wanted to know if you were planning on growing these plants in another @VIVOSUN Smart Grow System like the one the Fruit Punch is in.
Right now the smart grow system maxes out at 4x100W lights, or 400W. I'm using the VSF6450 in this tent with 645W. It's also a bar-style light, which gives me better coverage across the 4x4 tent.

I am working on getting the GrowHub and AeroZesh incorporated into this tent. Right now, the GrowHub doesn't work with the VSF6450, but I know @VIVOSUN is working on it :) When that happens, I would LOVE to run the smart grow system in this tent!

Date: 11/8/22 Day#16
- Vivosun 48x48x80 tent
- Vivosun VSF6450 Foldable LED Grow Light @ 40% 36" away (14k LUX 260 PPFD)
- Vivosun AeroWave A6 Clip-on oscillting 6" fan

Yesterday I went down to top Cindy. I was surprised that both Sandy and Suzy were also pushing out their 5th node and ready to be topped. They're so tight it's hard to see that there are four nodes under there. All were topped at the fifth node to promote more lateral growth.

I didn't bother with Speck, it looks like she's already topped herself. Now that she has roots in the water I'm hoping she can catch up to her sisters quickly.

Everyone has roots in the water now, even Speck. I got more lateral rooting than I do when I top water, so I'm skipping the top watering from now on. It looks like the roots were drawn to the 'waterfall' and the roots are enjoying hanging out in the turbulent water.

This morning I added 40g of MC to the res, bringing it up to the 2g/G rate. They've only drank about 1/2 gallon total so far but that I expect they'll pick up this week.

I still have the @VIVOSUN VSF6450 at 40% 36" away. Its giving them about 14k LUX (260ppfd) which is keeping the inter-nodal spacing tight. The tallest plant is about 4" right now. This week I'll set up the scrog net about 7-8" above the buckets. As the lateral branches grow out I'll train them to fill out the net.

Don't forget to get out and vote🗳️ today!

#VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow

Nice job getting in there with the scissors! Looks like all that time playing Operation has paid off. :welldone:
Indeed it did :) Cindy wasn't too bad, but the other two were really tight. That's actually my wife topping while I took pictures.

Date: 11/8/22 Day#18
- Vivosun 48x48x80 tent

You can tell they have roots down in the water because they're really starting to take off. You can't tell how much they're drinking by looking at the water level, though. It's still reading at 45g. Everyone's looking green right now so I'm leaving the res at this level for a little while.

There wasn't much of any lag after they were topped. They haven't gained much height since they were topped but the inner nodes are popping. Cindy is still setting the pace with Suzy and Sandy right behind. Even Speck is trying to lift herself off the paper plate. I'll be putting the scrog net up this weekend.

Ha! Look at Speck trying to get some respeck! Go girl! :Rasta:

Date: 11/16/22 Day#24
- Vivosun 48x48x80 tent
Weekly Temperatures

Late fall has arrived in Virginia. Last Saturday it was 75f and the A/C was on. Yesterday it was 42f and at nights it's getting down in the 20s. We've always kept the house cool in the winter. Upstairs rarely gets the heat turned on, we just use extra blankets. The main floor has the heat set to 64f. That makes the basement the warmest room in the house. Three tents and the dehumidifier add enough heat to keep it in the low 70's, which is where I try to keep the basement year-round. The plants barely even noticed the seasonal change. I've been keeping the humidifier at 60-65% to keep them around 1.0 VPD. I'll be raising the VPD to the 1.2 range this week to encourage more feeding from the roots. I may even be able to get rid of the humidifier soon!

It's been three weeks and I haven't really added any water to the res, until today I added two gallons this morning with a little nutes and plenty of bennies. I'll continue to top off with nutes and bennies as I add water. They all look green and healthy and the roots loook good so I'm going to try to keep the res right around 5.8pH / 500ppm (1.0 EC) for now.

A little over three weeks into this grow and I really haven't put much effort in so far, but that's about to change. For the first three weeks, my biggest chore has been refilling the humidifier in the tent. For as little as I've done in the last few weeks they are looking fantastic. The @VIVOSUN VSF6450 is at 40% 20 hours/day (4am-12pm). I've played around with Photone and I'm very happy with how even the coverage is around the tent. These girls are growing huge fan leaves and branches that look ready to hold some weight. Everyone is progressing nicely, even Speck. She's still smaller than everyone else but she's gaining quickly.

Those big fan leaves along with fairly tight internodal spacing make it hard to see what's going on with them. Cindy looks like a little cabbage with leaves sticking up everywhere. In the past I've rushed this step, removing fans and trying to get the LST started ASAP. For this grow I'm trying to be patient and wait for the plant to be ready. I'm also trying to remove as little as possible for now. I'll wait for the branches to grow into/above the net then tuck them back under.

This net is not ideal (squares too big), so I may need to use some wire to LST inside the squares. I'll leave the leaves alone for now, tucking them if needed. Hopefully Speck makes it up to the net before her sisters fill it up ;)

#VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow

Looking good LKABudMan! I do love that setup you've got going!!
Thanks Rex, I do too. The RDWC is very low maintenance. Having the 'sink' right next to the res makes adding to and changing the res pretty easy. Being 45 gallons, the pH and PPMs are very stable, but still move enough to let me know what's going on with the plants.

My biggest issue right now is res temperatures around 74-75f, a bit higher than I would like. I know when the canopy fills in and lights go to 12/12 that will drop to 70-72f. For now, though, I'm keeping en eye on it and adding lots of bennies ;)

Looks like you've got some big ones coming Budman! :Rasta:

You'll need to somehow leave room for Spec on purpose. I think she's gonna' be late to the party. :)

Back
Top Bottom