Low Watts - High Yield - Let's Smash the 1 GPW Benchmark Together

Thanks for the quick reply and the pictures. Just one last question on the cloner how much water do u add to the tub? Now that the manifold is smaller looks like there's less water in there. Is it ok to have it just covering the pump? Do u change it or keep same water throughout whole cloning process?

I use about 10 gallons of water in a 30 gallon tote. The water line is approx 2" above the top of the pumps in my cloners so yes, that's ok.

I change the water in my cloners every couple of weeks to keep them clean but you can get away with leaving it longer. I've ran the same water for a month and a half before.

All caught up now, Great stuff for sure. I'm learning some things for my little 1 off hempy run of about a dozen while I veg up some new seeds and set a two tent rotation up and mothers for my grow(s).

Quick question: I took clones and put them into root riot cubes in a tray rather than aerocloner setup. They wont root long roots in the tray obviously. I'll have to keep the cubes in place because roots do grow through them. My worry is since I'll have initial short roots when I drop into the hempy bottles, will I have feed less, more often, until it seems like they are growing fiercely (thinking roots down in res then) or stick to a schedule like yours? Any thoughts based on your experience?

Good question. When I read writings by Hempy himself he spoke of having to water freshly planted clones sometimes twice a day until the roots found the res and explosive growth ensued. I find this flawed. I make SURE the roots are already in the res when I bury my clones so that they may enjoy immediate growth. The days spent waiting for the roots to hit the res are basically wasted as there's no real growth until they do. That's one benefit of the aero cloners as it pertains to 2L growing..... they produce clones with big, long root systems which are perfect for this style of growing. You'll most likely have to water your newly planted babies once and maybe even twice a day until the roots make it to the res.

My first 2L hempy grow I cloned using root riot plugs in a tray and I buried them in the mix without having the roots long enough to reach the res. I watered every day 8 oz. of nutes for two weeks then switched to 420fied's schedule and harvested an average of 14g's per plant.
All caught up now, Great stuff for sure. I'm learning some things for my little 1 off hempy run of about a dozen while I veg up some new seeds and set a two tent rotation up and mothers for my grow(s).

Quick question: I took clones and put them into root riot cubes in a tray rather than aerocloner setup. They wont root long roots in the tray obviously. I'll have to keep the cubes in place because roots do grow through them. My worry is since I'll have initial short roots when I drop into the hempy bottles, will I have feed less, more often, until it seems like they are growing fiercely (thinking roots down in res then) or stick to a schedule like yours? Any thoughts based on your experience?

I clone in rockwool and run 2l hempies. I have found after roots are poking through the cube and planted into the hempie i feed immediatly with my first feed on the schedule. Long as the roots are well established in the cube i only notice a day or 2 for them to hit the res. Check out my journal i had some that got way too tall and basically grew from the second they were put into the 2l.

So I thought I had the process down for the cloner but where on earth do u glue it to? There's not much off a lip so I just glued to the bottom and let it fold over but it's in the way of my clones :/ also the gorilla glue smell is gonna kill me..cough cough lol one last thing does the hole saw take a lot out of the drill bc my drill was fine n now seems slow trying to drill 50 holes

So I thought I had the process down for the cloner but where on earth do u glue it to? There's not much off a lip so I just glued to the bottom and let it fold over but it's in the way of my clones :/ also the gorilla glue smell is gonna kill me..cough cough lol one last thing does the hole saw take a lot out of the drill bc my drill was fine n now seems slow trying to drill 50 holes

There's plenty of room to glue the edge of the curtain to the lid of the totes I use. As far as the drill goes, you're only drilling through 1/8" plastic. I've drilled hundreds of holes without a problem.

curtain_edge.JPG

More news: Table 1 is turning into a jungle.

jungle_jan.JPG

With the addition of the light movers, I won't see the 22 inchers I once did, but the plants are still respectable and quite frosted. They're very pretty specimens.

7weeks_mover2.JPG
7weeks_mover1.JPG

7weeks_mover3.JPG

7weeks_moverfrost.JPG

Plant us!

plant_me.JPG

There's plenty of room to glue the edge of the curtain to the lid of the totes I use. As far as the drill goes, you're only drilling through 1/8" plastic. I've drilled hundreds of holes without a problem.

curtain_edge.JPG

More news: Table 1 is turning into a jungle.

jungle_jan.JPG

With the addition of the light movers, I won't see the 22 inchers I once did, but the plants are still respectable and quite frosted. They're very pretty specimens.

7weeks_mover2.JPG
7weeks_mover1.JPG

7weeks_mover3.JPG

7weeks_moverfrost.JPG

Plant us!

plant_me.JPG

Beautiful plants 420! I just finished my cloner today, just waiting on the glue to dry. Thanks again for all your amazing info!

420fied, do you mist your clones with water? If you decrease the vapor pressure deficit around the leaves with water, they will transpire less water and will be able most likely wilt less. Here is a good read:

https://www.plantphysiol.org/content/64/1/112.full.pdf

and the definition of Vapor Pressure Deficit:

Here's JYD on day 24. This is the same plant pictured above.

jyd_day24flwr.JPG
jyd_24flwr2.JPG

Also, I'm running into an interesting situation with Clonex Gel. When I dip my Snow White clones I let them sit for 15 minutes and they are wilting every time. Then I stick them in my cloners and it may take them a full 24 hours but they eventually recover. I've used clonex gel before with no wilting problems so this one has me a bit puzzled.

Here's a shot of a dozen clones I cut and dipped tonight at Midnight. They looked like this within 15 minutes of being dipped.

clonex_wilt1.JPG

Here's a photo of some clones that were dipped 2 days ago. They were wilted just like the others but have since recovered.

clonex_recovered.JPG

I'm wondering if any of you have experienced or heard of this?

Also, do those clones have a fan blowing on them? That extra airflow will almost eliminate the VPD since it is just a very small area surround each individual leaf, thus creating a situation where the clones will transpire at a much faster rate. Your journal is so long already that I am having trouble keeping up. My apologies if this was already solved a few pages back.

Hey 420fied, I am actually glad someone has brought this up. I don't use an aerocloner myself, but I do use both Clonex gel and solution, and have found some pretty interesting results. When I use the gel in my process, everything seems to wilt more. Even showing purple veins where the Clonex gel must be ingested by the plant. However, if I simply dip in clonex solution and mist with the same, I get better results, but with a couple extra days waiting period. Not sure what this can be attributed to but maybe it's some help towards finding the solution.

420fied, do you mist your clones with water? If you decrease the vapor pressure deficit around the leaves with water, they will transpire less water and will be able most likely wilt less. Here is a good read:

and the definition of Vapor Pressure Deficit:

Also, do those clones have a fan blowing on them? That extra airflow will almost eliminate the VPD since it is just a very small area surround each individual leaf, thus creating a situation where the clones will transpire at a much faster rate. Your journal is so long already that I am having trouble keeping up. My apologies if this was already solved a few pages back.

I don't mist them and there's no fan on them. That's an interesting read. Thank you.

The timer is kind of pricey, would a regular timer with 15 minute intervals be ok until I can afford a periodic timer? Or would running pump 24/7 be ok? Kinda tight on cash atm.

For those who want to do a cycle-timer similar to 420fied's, there are some pretty inexpensive repeat-cycle timers on eB@y, though I can't vouch for how good they are, personally. I know one of the other growers here uses one successfully, though (Hozona I believe?).

Do a search for "cycle timer" or "panda timer" and you'll get some pretty reasonably priced repeat-cyle timers. Some of them don't offer quite the same flexibility of a better timer, but they might be a reasonable alternative if budget is an issue - and they'll work better for a cloner than a typical 15 minute timer I'm sure. Anyway, I think you could get something in the $20-$25 range, which is a lot less $$$ than a better quality timer like the one 420fied's using. Again, I haven't used them, but they might be worth looking into more.

I know this was a few pages back now, but...

I've seen a youtube video of someone modifying the standard 15minute/24hour timers to be a shorter cycle timer by opening it up and glueing some of the gears together. If you have more time than $$, this might be an option for you as well.

alright so my drill just needed a charge. got all 50 holes drill and ended up hot gluing the 3 mil plastic so now there are no leaks! :) just figured out how to control flow i wasnt tighten the screw enough, but one thing i noticed is one of my misters isnt misting, think this will be a problem? its one nearest elbow and i seems like water is getting everywhere...

edit: one other thing i noticed is my water which usually runs at 110ppm is showing 0ppm after running through the misters for awhile. is this normal?

alright so my drill just needed a charge. got all 50 holes drill and ended up hot gluing the 3 mil plastic so now there are no leaks! :) just figured out how to control flow i wasnt tighten the screw enough, but one thing i noticed is one of my misters isnt misting, think this will be a problem? its one nearest elbow and i seems like water is getting everywhere...

edit: one other thing i noticed is my water which usually runs at 110ppm is showing 0ppm after running through the misters for awhile. is this normal?

1 mister shouldn't matter. It sounds like the batteries on your PPM/TDS meter might be going bad? That's not normal.

Hey man, I have had many ppm and pH meters crap out on me ranging from lab grade to cheapo made in china. Maybe it is just going bad. As a rule of thumb, I always have 2 working pH meters and 2 tds meters on hand to double check. Personally, I believe in checking, then double checking everything, especially nutrient solution strength and pH.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here....

Hey man, I have had many ppm and pH meters crap out on me ranging from lab grade to cheapo made in china. Maybe it is just going bad. As a rule of thumb, I always have 2 working pH meters and 2 tds meters on hand to double check. Personally, I believe in checking, then double checking everything, especially nutrient solution strength and pH.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here....

Thank you. I thought was meter too, but it's brand new and when I checked my premixed nute solution the ppm was the same as other day; idk maybe the pump is filtering the water?

Back
Top Bottom