Monkey's First Grow

Here is an update on grow number one that was a fuck Up so to say, pics and all of my hermies..

Plant 1
420-magazine-mobile1108387381.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1152884966.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1846021269.jpg
420-magazine-mobile767668060.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1482932821.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1207893172.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1036960457.jpg

Plant 2
420-magazine-mobile122066263.jpg
420-magazine-mobile732853059.jpg
420-magazine-mobile703170759.jpg
420-magazine-mobile241389599.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2058179053.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1112278474.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1529698323.jpg

Plant 3
420-magazine-mobile430978399.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1570063953.jpg
420-magazine-mobile447607017.jpg
420-magazine-mobile611876785.jpg
420-magazine-mobile497973756.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1045955496.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1721868290.jpg

They all outside just so i can see how they develop in the long run.. I have already starting my new grow and will start a thread for that now in a few moments..

I know this was an epic fail but i hope second type is a success..guess this thread can be closed now..

Sorry for the disappointment for those following..

Doesn't have to be another cabinet. Could just be a cardboard box or a plastic storage bin for now

I agree with OttawaGreen ^^

I root all my clones in a cardboard "bankers box" using a single CFL. They take up very little room and root well with indirect light. I leave the light on 24/7 and it seems to work fine.

The powder is fine, not sure about peat never tried it. I have started my clones in cups of dirt or in a bubbler only.
Won't it be another month until you have some to clone anyway?

Those peat pucks will work great for starting seeds though.

As for my first grow, they still going on outside in the corner of the garden.. Here are some pics of the hermies...

Plant:
420-magazine-mobile358019538.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1632202433.jpg
420-magazine-mobile837461287.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1351778797.jpg
420-magazine-mobile104149252.jpg
l
420-magazine-mobile2056996964.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1347341770.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1190106023.jpg
420-magazine-mobile358019538.jpg

Here is pics of hermie plant nr 2
420-magazine-mobile1150802276.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2096805127.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1969123047.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1266394120.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1000809271.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1313323168.jpg
420-magazine-mobile744915007.jpg
420-magazine-mobile622013030.jpg
420-magazine-mobile177054566.jpg

And then there is plant 3 also a hermie but this one small like 4 inches tall, more like a solo cup grow but the best looking between the lot so far:
420-magazine-mobile2011527272.jpg
420-magazine-mobile618425427.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1222652692.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1427664907.jpg
420-magazine-mobile954017266.jpg
420-magazine-mobile469803915.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1012593767.jpg

As you can see with the last plant, we got some frostyness happening on the leaves, alot more hairs and leaves going purple.. Guess he is the biggest success of the first grow lot..

Thanks for all the following and input so far.. Big up to all my supporters!!!

Those have like no female flowers, might be better to Just kill them all before you start a new strain. You will have a risk of pollinating all your females by pollen riding on your clothes or hands or whatever.

Also if you have not started it yet, you may want to start Jackalope first. About 20 of them grown so far and no hermies.
Thunderpaws about 8 grown so far and one guy got a hermie. He now says it may have been due to extreme high temps in his grow room, but might be better to start with Jackalope hair in case.

I would stick to one kind at a time and plant all of the seeds of that kind at once. Two is not enough at all to get good phenotype. Weird you had such bad luck with the seeds. The other guys had great luck. One even got 7 out of 7 females.
Did you soak them in water for 24 hours before planting? Then into moist, loose dirt about 1/2" under the soil? That's the easiest way.

As for the males and hermie I would get rid of them. They are no good for breeding as you don't want to propagate hermie traits....

I would say your last plant with the white hairs is hermie if it's not a female, I don't really see male pods on it but think I saw them on an earlier picture. Keeping it is a judgement call. You can still smoke the bud portions. Personally I wouldn't smoke the male flowers/pods, I have before, they aren't very potent and usually have a weird taste. Any seeds from the hermie are technically "feminised" but if the plant is a true hermaphrodite (as opposed to a stressed female) the seeds will have a higher chance of being hermaphrodites as well.

The other two are definitely full males. Personally I would chop the males unless the goal was to make seeds. If all three plants are outside together your males may be pollinating the third plant regardless of whether it is full female, full hermie or a hermied female.

I agree with OttawaGreen that if you don't get rid of those males you can mistakenly pollinate other crops. Pollen will be carried away from the males by almost anything, the wind, your clothes, animals, insects, you name it. Pollen can also survive for quite a long time under the right conditions.

I would stick to one kind at a time and plant all of the seeds of that kind at once. Two is not enough at all to get good phenotype. Weird you had such bad luck with the seeds. The other guys had great luck. One even got 7 out of 7 females.
Did you soak them in water for 24 hours before planting? Then into moist, loose dirt about 1/2" under the soil? That's the easiest way.

As for the males and hermie I would get rid of them. They are no good for breeding as you don't want to propagate hermie traits....

There were only 5 thunderpaws seeds. Yes i soaked them and planted them into those small seedling plants.. One sprouted quickly but died a few days later and then the other two popped up one day after the other.. So its just two that did pop up, not sure if they still can. Guess im stick with just these two now for this grow. Quick q, does veg period start from seedling or when first nodes start?

I would say your last plant with the white hairs is hermie if it's not a female, I don't really see male pods on it but think I saw them on an earlier picture. Keeping it is a judgement call. You can still smoke the bud portions. Personally I wouldn't smoke the male flowers/pods, I have before, they aren't very potent and usually have a weird taste. Any seeds from the hermie are technically "feminised" but if the plant is a true hermaphrodite (as opposed to a stressed female) the seeds will have a higher chance of being hermaphrodites as well.

The other two are definitely full males. Personally I would chop the males unless the goal was to make seeds. If all three plants are outside together your males may be pollinating the third plant regardless of whether it is full female, full hermie or a hermied female.

I agree with OttawaGreen that if you don't get rid of those males you can mistakenly pollinate other crops. Pollen will be carried away from the males by almost anything, the wind, your clothes, animals, insects, you name it. Pollen can also survive for quite a long time under the right conditions.

Yeah i ripped the two big plants out... Only have the small one going on my roof... But if its also gonna be a hindrance then im pulling it tomorrow too.:.

Good question, as with 12/12 I think the answer is "both". Some people count it from first set of "non-seedling" leafs, others from when the seedling breaks the soil. I personally count from when the seedling breaks the soil but usually the time between that and the first set of real leaves isn't much more than 7-10 days.

I would like to know why you ask? Is this an auto-strain or is there something else you were thinking of related to this grow? Knowing your reasoning may make it easier to provide a better answer.

There were only 5 thunderpaws seeds. Yes i soaked them and planted them into those small seedling plants.. One sprouted quickly but died a few days later and then the other two popped up one day after the other.. So its just two that did pop up, not sure if they still can. Guess im stick with just these two now for this grow. Quick q, does veg period start from seedling or when first nodes start?

Huh, I thought I sent 8 of each. Weird. Not sure what you mean by period. There is no fixed period for veg. It lasts until he day length is short enough to induce bloom.

As for seeds dieing, the number one cause with new growers killing plants is overwatering. The should be damp, not wet. If it sprouted, then died it was likely overwatered. How long has it been since you planted the seeds?

Ahh, ok.

Hopefully OttawaGreen can chime in on this because my experience is limited. Take my feedback with a grain of salt but from what I have read 3 weeks is going to be a bit tough for two reasons.

1) Most plants won't show their gender before a certain amount of time. The age of a clone is the same as the age of the plant it was cut from. Assuming you took a clone at 3 weeks and it took 2 weeks to root you are probably going to be on the very edge of whether or not you can determine gender form the clone even if you put it under 12/12 at that point (after it has rooted).

2) Taking the clone. You want enough growth on the main plant that you can take a cutting for the clone. I usually take one of the lowest branches on the plant. After three weeks I'm not sure how many branches you'll have, even if you have cropped. Personally I won't crop before 3 sets of internodes minimum. I guess you could take a large cutting from the main tip and count that as your "cropping" but again after three weeks I'm not sure if the plant will be big enough to do that safely.

Personally I would pay more attention to "number of internodes" to make my decision on when to take the clone(s) versus absolute timing of veg. The veg timing will matter for whether or not the plant will show it's gender but internode count will give an idea of if the plant is big enough to take a clone without hurting it too much.

As for when to take clones, I do it when they are big enough. Can't think of any reason to choose an arbitrary number of days instead of big enough. Big enough, just means big enough to take clones without killing the plant. I do it when they are around 6-8" high. (15-20cm).
The later you take them the less you lose from the plants size but the earlier you take them the faster you can bloom to see what you got.
When dealing with male/female seeds I prefer to clone and bloom as early as possible. Don't want to waste time and work and money growing big males.
To clarify I am suggesting you take a clone of each one and label them seperate. As soon as the clones are actually growing, then you bloom the seedling. Whichever one turns out best keep that clone and grow it big and discard the others.

In my hi brix journal in sig you can see me doing this with the 8 ultimate purple. I took clones when they were about 7" tall and bloomed then as soon as the clones started rooting.
Now I have 7 females and one male. Male is away to save the pollen for future breeding.
Now I pick the best of 7 females when it is done and I have smoked it. Then I toss away the lesser females and keep the best one. The best one will then be grown huge.
This way you waste WAY LESS time growing males or whatever. Imagine you knew your current plants were males and hermies months ago. You could have already been blooming next batch instead by now.

Make sense? Any questions, keep them coming. Happy to help.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom