Motafina Summer & Fall 2020: Peyote Critical, Jack Herrer, Gorilla Glue Haze

Official first day of flower was yesterday. Pistils are now showing on all plants....yay! The Damn Dawg has been removed from the tent...it's gone out to the back deck for now. The 1000w HPS is in place at about 15 inches above the canopy, with only about 8" of room to move it up. So I'm hoping the stretch from here doesn't exceed 5-6 more inches! I still have the option of supercropping and/or tying down the taller branches and I'll probably need to do that pretty soon.

Update - Day 74 - Day 12 of 12/12 - Day 4 of flower

Here's some pictures from last night.

I started supercropping some tall branches. I'm working on one plant at a time, starting with the PF. Next will be the two tallest branches on the Peyote Critical. The Gorilla Glue Haze is lagging a little behind the others and is a little whispy, but I think she'll do just fine.

Update - Day 86 - Day 24 of 12/12 - Day 16 of flower:

I did a defoliation of just the lower branches. I didn't remove any of the big fans, but I'm considering doing that next. The plants are looking incredibly healthy at this point. We're going into the long, fairly boring stage between small nugs and big colas. Here's some pics:

There's not much to do now except keep them watered and fed. I'm pretty much using a feed/feed/microbes/feed/feed/plain water regimen. I'm not feeding anywhere near full strength. Tonight I think I'm going to throw in a top dressing using a combination of worm castings, compost and a small dose of Roots Organics Uprising dry nutes.

I'm seeing some signs of either nutrient deficiency or nutrient lockout. The lowest large fans are drooping and turning yellow. It's happening fast so I probably need to act quick. I'm guessing it's lockout since these plants should have plenty to feed on. I'll do a soil pH test tonight and possibly start flushing them one at a time. I'll try to get pictures tonight.

Update - Day 98 - Day 36 of 12/12 - Day 28 of flowering:

At four weeks into flowering today. These pictures are a couple of days old.

I'm still dealing with some early fading on lower fan leaves, but it's happening slowly and not accelerating. I flushed the PF plant because it was the worst and that seemed to slow the fading down. The others are not too dire yet, so I decided to hold off on flushing them for now. It's looking like the Peyote Critical will finish first, probably 3-4 weeks from now. The Jack Herer and PF will go next. The Gorilla Glue Haze looks like it'll need to go 10+ weeks....that could get interesting.

Update - Day 107 - Day 45 of 12/12 - Day 37 since first pistils:

Just a quick update with pictures. The premature fading is getting pretty bad now. Especially on the Peyote Critical. It's like the plant is winding down and dying. I looked at the trichomes on the PC with a loupe and they're pretty much all cloudy already, so that plant might finish earlier than expected. The other three look to be a week or so behind. So without any cure, they'll probably start dying early too. I have no idea what the problem is. I checked both soil pH and runoff pH and both are fine. The one thing I can't check is EC because I don't have a meter. And it's a good chance that that is the problem.

Anyways, here's some pretty crappy photos:

Update - Day 112 - Day 50 of 12/12 - Day 42 since first pistils:

I think I figured out what was at least part of the problem with the big lower fan leaves. I think I was letting the pots get too dry. I have been watering every two days, but I don't think that's often enough. The pots were super light after two days. So, I've been mixing it up - sometimes watering every day and sometimes going two days. If I water every day, the second day is half or two-thirds the normal amount. The plants seem much happier now. Most of the big fans are gone now anyways, but I think they were just too dry.

Going into week 7, I'm still seeing a lot of clear trichomes on the Peyote Critical and no amber, so it's back to looking like a normal schedule there. The other 3 plants are mostly clear and still have lots of white pistils. Probably 2 more weeks on the Peyote Critical and 3-4 weeks for the rest.

Here's pictures:

PF:

Jack Herer:

Gorilla Glue Haze:

Peyote Critical:

Here's a shot of the trichomes on the Peyote Critical. I pulled a top bud about 4" long and put it under the scope. I'm seeing mostly cloudy trichomes, with a few clear-ish, and already some amber. This strain is supposed to go 8-9 weeks, but I can't imagine it going more than another week. So, if we consider the first day of 12/12 as first day of flower, then we'd be just about 8 weeks in.

Update - Day 127 from seed - Day 65 of 12/12 - Day 57 since first pistils:

Just a quick update with photos.

First off, the Peyote Critical was harvested over a week ago, on day 48 since first pistils. That seems early, but the plant was ripe....it was falling over all over the place and was showing maybe 5% amber. It seemed like it was time for it to go. So, it's dried and in jars now....130.6 grams/4.66 oz.

The others are still going on track for harvest in about a week...maybe less. Here's some bud shots:

This grow and the last grow I've been tracking both 'days of 12/12' and 'days since first pistils' just to try to get an idea of which one is a better metric to follow when considering the growers recommended flowering time. It's looking like the 'days from 12/12' are more closely aligned with the growers recommendations than 'first pistils' - at least for me. I like to harvest before there's much amber - probably 5-20%. So, I may just go with that going forward.

The remaining girls are just about there. Again, looking at days of 12/12 that would put these right where the breeders recommend....at least for the PF and Jack Herer. The Gorilla Glue Haze is a mystery plant from freebie seeds. Not even sure if it's MJ or hemp!

Update - Harvest

I started harvesting the remaining 3 plants on day 130 from seed (day 68 of 12/12 - day 60 since first pistils). I trimmed one plant per day for 3 days, starting with the PF, then Gorilla Glue Haze and finally Jack Herer.

The Jack Herer had some mega buds:

All plants are either still hanging or are already in jars. It's looking to be a good yield with excellent quality. I'll post a final summary and thoughts on this grow after everything is wrapped up.

Update - Complete

Here's a full rundown of this grow.

Seedling stage: I called this 8 days on this grow. Germination and sprouting were very successful this time, but due to past experience, I still think it's good planning to start a couple more seeds than I'll need. In this case I ended up with two extra plants, which were given away. Sprouts were placed 2" under 4x26w daytime CFLs running 24/7.

Veg stage: Total veg time including transition to flower = 63 days. The first ~3 weeks were under CFLs, with more bulbs added as the plants increased in size. Then the 400w MH was added for the remainder of veg. A training attempt in the 'quadline' style was attempted, but I wouldn't consider the grow a true quad. I certainly haven't perfected that technique and I'm still not settled on what to do on future grows. That said, training produced vigorous upper growth, but not much good growth down below. Very little supplemental nutrients were added during veg to the supersoil base.

Flower stage: Transition from veg took 9 days. I forgot to record when I installed the 1000w HPS bulb, but it was probably about 1 week after first pistils. I started adding nutrients during the first week of flower and fed them throughout, with about a week of almost no nutrients at the very end. The Peyote Critical matured very early, and the others were slightly earlier than breeders recommended flowering time. I had some pretty bad fan leaf yellowing that I still don't know the cause. But it seemed to ease up and none of the plants died off completely, so that was a huge relief.

Harvest: Harvest ranged from 48 days from first pistils to 62 days. I'm still trying to get my drying/curing process dialed. My current method is to wet-trim, then hang the larger buds in darkness with a fan going at it's lowest setting and not pointed directly at the buds. These take 3-4 days to dry and they become extremely brittle on the outside but still have flexible branches. I then trim the buds off the branches into paper bags and they continue to dry for about 2-3 more days in the bags. Then into jars. For smaller buds, I trim them off the branches onto newspaper and set them out for a few days, turning them at least once per day, until they're starting to get brittle, then into the paper bags. Larfy buds and sugar leaf go onto a separate newspaper/paper bag for my hash bags. This grow I took special precautions on the two humongous Jack Herer buds. For those, I pulled the buds away from the branch as far up as I could to let air into that part of the bud. But the very top 4" or so, I clipped it all off into separate smaller pieces and had them dry out on newspaper and then into paper bags. I've had bud rot problems in the past with giant buds, so I think it's better to have smaller chunks and not risk the mold. Seemed to work fine this way, and in the end, they all end up in littler chunks anyways.

Results: Overall, I'm very happy with this grow. I had perfect germination and sprouting rates, didn't have any mutants, and none of the plants died off prematurely. The yield and quality are both very good/excellent. So far the curing is going well. Here's the harvest and yield data:

StrainHarvest DateDays of 12/12/Days since first pistilsYield (grams)Yield (oz)
Peyote Critical11/8/202056/48125.84.5
PF11/20/202068/60201.27.2
Gorilla Glue Haze11/21/202069/61201.77.2
Jack Herer11/22/202070/62216.77.7
Total Yields:748.426.6

I've only tried the Gorilla Glue Haze so far, just because this was the unknown plant and I wanted to have some idea. It's definitely got THC in it and is quite good smoke. A bit too intense for me, but my patient should enjoy it.

I'll be starting a new journal to track my next grow. Here's a look at the up-and-comers:

Back
Top Bottom