Motafina Winter & Spring 2020: Blue Dream, Peyote Critical, Liberty Haze, Master Kush

MotaFina

This is my 7th indoor grow since the good old days. Back then I did more production-oriented grows, utilizing three grow areas, a single strain with a mother plant, and with the goal of a harvest every two months. Now, I'm growing everything from seed in a single tent, trying to stay as organic as possible, hunting for strains that we like personally and just producing enough for personal consumption. I love to grow this plant, but unfortunately don't have much tolerance for the effects, so I rarely partake. But my other half has a very high tolerance and loves the organic homegrown strains I've been producing.

For this grow, here are the strains I'll be growing:
StrainBreederIndica/SativaGeneticsTHC%Flowering Time (wks)
Blue DreamHumboldt Seeds OrgMostly SativaBlueberry x Super Silver Haze199-10
Master KushSpliff Seeds80/20Hindu Kush x Trainwreck x Skunk#1'high'8-9
Peyote CritcalBarney's Farm80/20Peyote Purple x Critical Kush208-9
Liberty HazeBarney's Farm40/60G13 X Chem Dawg 9117-299

The seeds were started 16 days ago - germinated in paper towels. All are feminized except the Master Kush. I tried to germinate two of the Master Kush, but only one popped.

As in my past few grows, I'll be growing in a 'super' soil mix based on Subcool's recipe. I re-amend used soil and combine it with some new soil in each grow. The new soil I use is Coast of Maine's Stonington Blend.

My lights are old school - CFLs for seedling and early veg, 400w MH for middle and late veg, and 1000w HPS for flowering. I grow in a 4x4 tent with 6-inch inline intake and extraction fans for ventilation. I typically do multiple transplants - 4 inch seedling pots to 1 gal to 3 gal to 7 gal. I haven't decided yet on whether I'll use fabric or plastic for the final pots on this grow. I'm not really seeing any difference in them as far as quality or quantity, so the choice comes down to which is more convenient, which I haven't decided yet.

For nutrients, I pretty much depend on the supersoil to take me through to early flowering. Then I start to use combinations of Nectar for the Gods liquid nutes and an assortment of dry organic nutrients I have, including Earth Juice, Roots, Coast of Maine, and now Geoflora. I occasionally hit them with an AACT or just top dress with EWC or compost to keep the micros strong.

That's all the background I can think of right now, so without further ado, here's the babies:

Oh man I’ve been thinking about that liberty haze. I’ll follow along for sure
Welcome Silverfox! I ran the Liberty Haze a while back and it's a nice one. It produces heavy, has a nice fruity aroma and a great 'upper' high.

how do you like the geoflora nutrients?

I also do LOS and have thought about trying some on one plant to see the benefits
I just got the Geoflora about a week ago, so I haven't used it yet, but the ingredients are what I look for in organic nutes....all-natural. And they're offering a 'sample' from their site, which is two 4-pound bags for the cost of shipping. Pretty much a no brainer there!

what medium are you going to use with it?
I'm using a supersoil blend. I started them out in a mixture of 75% Coast of Maine soil with 25% perlite. When I up-pot I'll start mixing in the supersoil. I'll probably add some Geoflora in when I transplant to the final container.

Update - Day 21 from seed - Day 15 of veg:

Quick update here. All plants were transplanted to 1 gallon plastic pots containing Coast of Maine soil mixed about 50-50 with my supersoil. I also added some EWC, compost and perlite.

Here's some photos:

This is my 7th indoor grow since the good old days. Back then I did more production-oriented grows, utilizing three grow areas, a single strain with a mother plant, and with the goal of a harvest every two months. Now, I'm growing everything from seed in a single tent, trying to stay as organic as possible, hunting for strains that we like personally and just producing enough for personal consumption. I love to grow this plant, but unfortunately don't have much tolerance for the effects, so I rarely partake. But my other half has a very high tolerance and loves the organic homegrown strains I've been producing.

For this grow, here are the strains I'll be growing:
StrainBreederIndica/SativaGeneticsTHC%Flowering Time (wks)
Blue DreamHumboldt Seeds OrgMostly SativaBlueberry x Super Silver Haze199-10
Master KushSpliff Seeds80/20Hindu Kush x Trainwreck x Skunk#1'high'8-9
Peyote CritcalBarney's Farm80/20Peyote Purple x Critical Kush208-9
Liberty HazeBarney's Farm40/60G13 X Chem Dawg 9117-299

The seeds were started 16 days ago - germinated in paper towels. All are feminized except the Master Kush. I tried to germinate two of the Master Kush, but only one popped.

As in my past few grows, I'll be growing in a 'super' soil mix based on Subcool's recipe. I re-amend used soil and combine it with some new soil in each grow. The new soil I use is Coast of Maine's Stonington Blend.

My lights are old school - CFLs for seedling and early veg, 400w MH for middle and late veg, and 1000w HPS for flowering. I grow in a 4x4 tent with 6-inch inline intake and extraction fans for ventilation. I typically do multiple transplants - 4 inch seedling pots to 1 gal to 3 gal to 7 gal. I haven't decided yet on whether I'll use fabric or plastic for the final pots on this grow. I'm not really seeing any difference in them as far as quality or quantity, so the choice comes down to which is more convenient, which I haven't decided yet.

For nutrients, I pretty much depend on the supersoil to take me through to early flowering. Then I start to use combinations of Nectar for the Gods liquid nutes and an assortment of dry organic nutrients I have, including Earth Juice, Roots, Coast of Maine, and now Geoflora. I occasionally hit them with an AACT or just top dress with EWC or compost to keep the micros strong.

That's all the background I can think of right now, so without further ado, here's the babies:

I'm in,:popcorn: my coast of Maine brother. I love that soil and ordered HSO blue dream coming from seedsman soon. Girls look great man. Like to see how the BD comes out. Heard it's pretty good.

I'm in,:popcorn: my coast of Maine brother. I love that soil and ordered HSO blue dream coming from seedsman soon. Girls look great man. Like to see how the BD comes out. Heard it's pretty good.
Thanks for stopping in Sparkey! The Blue Dream is my main focus on this grow...really exited to see how that one does. And yes....Coast of Maine soil is awesome. I think you could run it all by itself and do pretty well.

I don't think the Peyote Critical seedling is going to be viable. It's definitely a mutant and probably won't produce anything. No need to trash it just yet, but that's its most likely future.

Here you can see that there is NO TOP....no growth at all coming out of the top.

Although this looks like two leaves, it's one mutant leaf:

Even the growth out of the first (and only) node looks sickly

I'm not having much luck with this strain. The first time I attempted PC it never germinated. And now this mutant....

I've dropped a few Damnesia seeds to replace the PC and just in case the Master Kush turns out to be male. I prefer to have 4 plants in flower to justify the 1000w bulb. This will cause an uneven flowering room, but should allow me to get close to my average yield.

I don't think the Peyote Critical seedling is going to be viable. It's definitely a mutant and probably won't produce anything. No need to trash it just yet, but that's its most likely future.

Here you can see that there is NO TOP....no growth at all coming out of the top.

Although this looks like two leaves, it's one mutant leaf:

Even the growth out of the first (and only) node looks sickly

I'm not having much luck with this strain. The first time I attempted PC it never germinated. And now this mutant....

I've dropped a few Damnesia seeds to replace the PC and just in case the Master Kush turns out to be male. I prefer to have 4 plants in flower to justify the 1000w bulb. This will cause an uneven flowering room, but should allow me to get close to my average yield.
Grow it out a bit...some of my best plants started out a little "freaky"...

Grow it out a bit...some of my best plants started out a little "freaky"...
My thoughts exactly. I love the weird ones the most
I don't know...here's another look at it with the others surrounding it. The 'top' is basically one weird leaf. If I cut that, I'll have the two sickly branches coming out of the first node and the whole thing will be about two inches tall.

On a positive note, the other three are doing good. I topped them all over the last two nights. And it looks like the three Damnesia seeds I dropped are starting to break out of the soil, so at least I'll have options.

I'll try to get more pictures up tomorrow.

Next up will be installing the metal halide light and switching on the intake fan....probably tonight.

Update - Day 31 - Day 24 of veg:

Quick update with pictures.

Blue Dream: She's growing pretty tall. She's been topped and I took off the lowest node. Now I need to decide if she's a candidate for quadline training.

Master Kush: This one and the Blue Dream are showing some necrosis in the lower leaves. Not sure what's going on there. Same status here as the Blue Dream as far as training.

Liberty Haze: She seems somewhat sensitive. She's been droopy at times, like in the photo here. I left the lowest node on on this one (for now).

Peyote Critical: The dark star of the show. Still a freak with some sort of fan leaf on top and not much else down below. I think I'll top that fan off there and see what the lower branches do.

Backup: These are Damnesia seeds that were found in buds from my 4th or 5th grow. So these could be some kind of cross, or self polinated....not really sure. But their purpose is just to make sure I have a full tent going into flower.

I've installed the MH light and I've got the intake fan running now. The HID light should get the tent up into a reasonable temperature...it's been a little cold up to this point. So that'll hopefully boost some growth.

This grow seems to be a little slow. In the last grow I mixed peat moss into my soil mix and i think that really helped make the soil lighter. I forgot to do that when I went to 1-gal. So I'll have to remember to do that on the next transplant. The low temps and humidity could be slowing things down too.

Back
Top Bottom