Motafina Winter & Spring 2020: Blue Dream, Peyote Critical, Liberty Haze, Master Kush

Update - Day 111 from seed - Day 42 of 12/12 - Day 31 since first pistils:

Liberty Haze
: I'm starting to see some color in a few lower leaves.

Peyote Critical: This is a small plant, but very pretty buds and super frosty:

Damnesia: The stand in plant - thrown in after Master Kush didn't sprout and another turned male. These plants are smaller, but should bulk up nicely:

Blue Dream: Not at all what I imagined or expected out of this strain. Its getting really frosty and smells nice. At least if it's not smokable bud, it'll make great hash:

I'm still pretty much on feed, feed, tea, feed, feed, flush schedule, with some variation. I think the Peyote Critical might finish up early, but the others will probably need to go the full 10 weeks.

Update - Day 118 from seed - Day 49 of 12/12 - Day 38 since first pistils:

I'm seeing amazing trichome development now, but still not much bulking up. I'm hoping to see more girth over the next two weeks. I'm in the middle of week 6 now. Here's photos from last night:

Liberty Haze:

Damnesia:

Peyote Critical:

And lastly the anemic Blue Dream:

and one more parting shot:

Update - day 122 from seed, day 53 of 12/12, day 42 since first pistils:

Start of week 7 today. Status is about the same. The Blue Dream is starting to drop a lot of lower leaves, and the Liberty Haze seems to be stalled. But other than that, just cruising along. They're getting super frosty....this it probably the frostiest buds I've grown. Not gonna be a big yield, but the quality looks great.

I borrowed the DSLR. Pics:

Damnesia:

Liberty Haze:

Peyote Critical:

Blue Dream:

Those massive calyxes on the Blue Dream almost look like seed pods. I was curious and picked one to take a look. They're not seed pods. There's layers of vegetative growth inside with no trichomes on the inner layers. So the trichomes are only on the outside. A very strange plant. It smells great, but I can't imagine it being very good smoke. Still, there's no reason not to let it finish. It should make decent hash.

Update - Day 132 from seed - Day 63 of 12/12 - Day 52 since first pistils

I've been inspecting with my loupe for signs of amber, but none yet. I'm in the first half of week 8. The Peyote Critical is an 8-9 week flowering strain, so it should be the first to start showing amber. The others are all 9-10 week strains, so still a couple of weeks to go on those.

Below are some pictures and individual plant updates. Sorry about the yellow lighting....makes it hard to take good photos.

Blue Dream:
I'm still waiting for these buds to bulk up, but it looks like it's just never going to happen. I harvested a couple of top buds because they were getting too close to the light. It's just wispy nothingness. But smells great and super frosty. There are a couple of branches with a little more substance, but still nothing like normal buds. We'll smoke the cuttings and see if it at least tastes good and has potency.

Liberty Haze:
This plant looks good....buds are starting to mature, some leaves are purpling, and she's still drinking a normal amount of water. She started getting leaf tip burn, so I didn't feed for a couple of waterings. She's doing good but is not on par with the last LH I grew. That one produced 8 ounces! This one looks like 3+ ounces. Good quality but low comparative yield. Probably about two weeks to go on this one:

Damnesia:
These two are looking great. I'm just now starting to get fading on the lower leaves and foxtailing on the tops. The top buds are getting thick and DENSE. 2 weeks minimum to go:

Peyote Critical:
This one is a trip....she started out a mutant, and never got going. So she's a dwarf! I've got it propped up on 3 thick books to get it up into the canopy. But man is she FROSTY!

I'm starting to think of my next grow. I'm thinking this might be my lineup:
Gorilla Haze
Gelat.OG
Peyote Critical
Jack Herrer
with backups started on day 1 - TBD from the following:
Mama Mia
Northern Soul
Master Kush
Damnesia

This weekend I'll be starting my supersoil cook. It's still pretty cool around here, so it'll need to cook a couple months. I don't plan to grow over the summer. (If only I had LEDs....). I'll start the next grow around the last week of July.

Whats up bro :high-five: that blue dream going to be amazing smoke. All the mutants are usually A1. Buds look fantastic man.
Sup Sparkey! Thanks for checking in. Got two mutants in this grow. I have no doubt that the Peyote Critical will be fire. It just has that look. The Blue Dream will probably be good smoke, but might be hard to deal with. There's like single calyxes spaced up and down little toothpick-thin twigs....almost like how thyme grows.

I got out the scope last night and took a closer look at trichomes. They're a lot closer to harvest than I thought. I'll probably harvest the Blue Dream and Critical this weekend and then start on the Damnesias and Liberty Haze a couple of days later.

Peyote Critical came down two days ago. Her buds are hanging.

Blue Dream is coming down today. These two pictures don't really show a lot of amber, but there's probably about 20% overall. That's more than I usually like, so she's coming down tonight. Day 56 since first pistils.

So, the Peyote Critical is down and already dry enough to go to step 2 - paper bags. Here's a shot of a few of the buds hanging:

The Blue Dream was a nightmare to trim. The buds are so thin and wispy that there's vegetative stuff just all up and down the spears. I might be able to get it better with dry trimming....we'll see. Here's pictures:

And the Liberty Haze and Damnesias are still in the tent. I'm giving them a few extra days. The LH especially still has a small percentage of clear trichomes and not a lot of amber. But just a few more days on these girls:

Liberty Haze:

Damnesia:

Harvest Update:

All plants are harvested. They were dried first by hanging for 3 days with a light fan blowing indirectly in the area. Then into paper bags for 3-4 days, and now they're in jars. Here's the rundown:

Peyote Critical - harvested at 54 days
Blue Dream - harvested at 56 days
Liberty Haze - harvested at 59 days
Damnesias - harvested at 60 days

This is early for all of these strains. But we don't like a lot of amber, so I tend to start chopping once I see > 10% amber.

Here's some pictures from around harvest time:

I'll follow up in a bit with a summary of this grow and some shots of the buds as they cure. Not the best results this time around so I'm trying to figure out what, other than genetics, contributed to the low yield.

Final Summary

Since I don't run a grow over the summer, I haven't been too active in the forum. But I thought I'd give my final summary on the Winter/Spring grow.

Overall the grow was a strange one with a couple of unusual plants. Germination produced some unexpected duds and the regular seeds I germed produced a dud and a male. So I made adjustments and ended up with a higher than normal plant count but they produced a lower than normal yield.

Here's the final tally:

PlantGrams HarvestedOunces Harvested
Peyote Critical71.12.5
Blue Dream144.25.15
Liberty Haze143.45.12
Damnesia 186.33.1
Damnesia 2111.63.9
Total556.619.89

The totals above are generous as they were weighed while not quite at the humidity that I consider dry (62-65%). This is about 10 ounces shy of what the last couple of grows produced.

Some notes:

Strains
Peyote Critical
- I don't know what to think of this strain at this point. It was a freak runt of a plant but produced excellent quality. And for an Indica dominant plant, the high is very uplifting and euphoric. I've got one more seed, so I'll pop that and hope for a normal sized plant with the same quality.

Blue Dream - Like the PC, I've not made any final decision on this strain either. This plant was another freak, with what I'd call a "Grinspoonish" look to it. Very sparse, spindly buds with not much to them. On the other hand, it's amazingly sticky and the high is great. So, again, I have a couple more seeds and I'm curious to see if this was just a one-off or if a subsequent attempt will produce the same weird phenotype.

Liberty Haze - This plant grew in a more normal fashion, but stayed pretty small. It produced some purple hues towards the end. The buds are super frosty, light and maybe a little airy, but just an all-out excellent smoke. No problems with this strain....it's a definite keeper.

Damnesia - These two plants were actually grown from seeds that came out of buds from a previous grow that must have hermied. I don't know if a Damnesia plant pollenated itself, of if a nearby plant hermied and pollinated the Damnesia. So I'm not 100% sure if this is pure Damnesia or some cross. At any rate, it's a reliable strain and these two plants were almost identical in smell, look and high. Very pleasing, creative and uplifting high with chocolatey, coffee notes.

Process
Soil
- I used soil that had been used several times before and re-amended for each grow. Maybe it's gone past it's prime. There was some factor in this grow that kept everything on the low and slow, so it could have been the soil. I used up all of my used soil in the vegetable and flower gardens this summer, so I'll be starting up the next grow with completely new cooked supersoil.

Lights - I'm still too cheap to invest in new lighting. Seems to be working fine for now.

Nutrients - Nectar still seems a great line for 'organic' cannabis. I did add in ACTs and a few other things. And I'm starting with fairly hot supersoil, so I don't think my plants are hurting for nutrients.

Training - I was not very dilligent on this front and probably could have hurt the yield by not having an even cannopy. Lesson learned...I'll put more effort into training next grow.

Overall: An interesting, and sometimes frustrating grow. My one thought that I leave with is that it seems weird that with the small sampling of seeds being germinated, that in all my grows the number of freakish plants seems kind of high. Is this the results of cross-breeding being done to produce all the new strains? Would going back to classic, old-school strains show more stability? If only I had the time and money to experiment enough to find that out!

Back
Top Bottom