Motafina Fall 2019: Hulkberry, Damnesia, Jack Herrer, Gelato OG

I'm starting to see some amber trichomes on the sugar leaves on the Gelato. Time to get out the scope and take a closer look. She could be ready in a week or so.

The Jack Herrer is finally starting to bulk up some. I think that one will need to go the longest.

The other two are looking right on schedule...probably 2-3 more weeks..

Girls are looking great! Getting closer and good catch on the bud rot and glad ya got to it in time before it did some real damage! Big buds are always a great but scary thing because of that.

Girls are looking great! Getting closer and good catch on the bud rot and glad ya got to it in time before it did some real damage! Big buds are always a great but scary thing because of that.

Thanks CandyCane! I think my air cirulation wasn't adequate. I went into the tent about an hour after lights out and noticed that there was condensation on the walls of the tent. I think the plants are transpiring so much that after the lights go out, they continue to transpire for a long time. After I saw that, I set the intake and extraction fans and one of the circulation fans to run 24/7. Hoping that'll prevent moisture build up....and bud rot.

The Gelato and Hulkberry are looking fantastic. Getting soooo frosty...it's amazing. Trichomes pictures coming soon.

Thanks CandyCane! I think my air cirulation wasn't adequate. I went into the tent about an hour after lights out and noticed that there was condensation on the walls of the tent. I think the plants are transpiring so much that after the lights go out, they continue to transpire for a long time. After I saw that, I set the intake and extraction fans and one of the circulation fans to run 24/7. Hoping that'll prevent moisture build up....and bud rot.

The Gelato and Hulkberry are looking fantastic. Getting soooo frosty...it's amazing. Trichomes pictures coming soon.
Good call on the fans! I kept mine going 24/7 for mostly that reason! Looking forward to seeing the trich pics too! :yummy:

Always keep those fans on and moving.....especially if you are growing in an enclosed space!
Yeah....I'm still learning this craft.

I work in an area pretty close to the tent, so I wish I could get by with just running them around lights-on time, but I'll have to suffer through the noise. I run the lights overnight so it's been just an hour at the beginning of work and an hour at the end when I'd have to put up with the noise. I use headphones when I can, but the fan noise is pretty loud. I might have to search out a 'super quiet' model of inline fan or find a way to muffle the noise.

Anyways, since going 24/7 I haven't seen any more problems.

Gelato is getting close. The buds are super dense. Just a day short of 8 weeks since first pistils now, but still no amber in the buds. I put a little cutting off a big bud under the scope. Pictures below:

Looks like mostly cloudy, with still some clear and no amber. Probably 3-7 days more to go. I'm feeding this one only water now. Chop chop real soon!

Gelato is getting close. The buds are super dense. Just a day short of 8 weeks since first pistils now, but still no amber in the buds. I put a little cutting off a big bud under the scope. Pictures below:

Looks like mostly cloudy, with still some clear and no amber. Probably 3-7 days more to go. I'm feeding this one only water now. Chop chop real soon!
Almost there!! :yummy:

Yeah....I'm still learning this craft.

I work in an area pretty close to the tent, so I wish I could get by with just running them around lights-on time, but I'll have to suffer through the noise. I run the lights overnight so it's been just an hour at the beginning of work and an hour at the end when I'd have to put up with the noise. I use headphones when I can, but the fan noise is pretty loud. I might have to search out a 'super quiet' model of inline fan or find a way to muffle the noise.

Anyways, since going 24/7 I haven't seen any more problems.
Ok, so you want to look into the fan brand that I use. I use the Infinity in line fans......absolutely amazing in their stealth and the settings that you can use on them. They are in my opinion, the best fans you can get in their price range, bar none. I have 3....two of the 6" and one of the 4" and I want more.

You will also want to add some fans to keep the air moving around the canopy. Lots of options for those....just find one thats on the lower end on the noise spectrum.

Ok, so you want to look into the fan brand that I use. I use the Infinity in line fans......absolutely amazing in their stealth and the settings that you can use on them. They are in my opinion, the best fans you can get in their price range, bar none. I have 3....two of the 6" and one of the 4" and I want more.

You will also want to add some fans to keep the air moving around the canopy. Lots of options for those....just find one thats on the lower end on the noise spectrum.
Thanks VS! I'll probably need to look into those Infinity fans. Looks like my problems are not over yet....

Unfortunately I found bud rot in another bud....this time in the Jack Herrer. It's heartbreaking to find this after all these months. This bud was epic.....long and thick...about 4" in diameter where I cut it. There wasn't a lot of rot, but I had to cut it low to make sure I got it all. Like Candycane said, big buds are both a blessing and a curse. I've only ever had problems with big buds...never with the smaller ones.

I've got one MASSIVE bud on the Hulkberry. So far so good on that one, but man am I nervous about it. Keeping my fingers crossed and my fans blowing 24/7 to pull the rest of these big logs through to harvest.

Update - Day 123 - Day 58 of flower:

Quick update on the grow.

The Hulkberry and Damnesia are fading fast. Most of their big fans are totally yellow and turning to brown. Still, the plants seem pretty healthy. I think it's just normal at this stage for there to be some fading of the fans. Hopefully they'll stay healthy to the finish.

The Gelato is still not ready. I pulled off one big bud for a sampler. I'm still seeing clear trichs and very little amber, so it's not fully there yet. Hopefully just another few days.

The Jack Herrer is done putting out new pistils but is taking its sweet time for them to turn brown. But they have bulked up quite a lot, so that's good.

Here's photos:

Plants:

And here's some bud shots:

Update - Day 129 from seed - Day 63 of flower:

Harvest is complete. The Gelato went first...on day 60. It was just starting to show some amber trichomes and pretty much all of the pistils had turned brown. I didn't get a picture of the plant at harvest, but here's the one big bud:

Next was the Damnesia, two days later. It was showing quite a bit of amber. I was a bit surprised because it's always been a 10-week strain for me. But it was starting to look pretty raggedy, so I decided to check trichomes. It was probably 10-20% amber. Here's a picture of the plant:

The Hulkberry was showing about 10% amber too, so it went next, at day 63. Here's pictures of the plant and a couple of the massive bud she produced:

And finally, Jack Herrer had to come down too because I needed the space in the tent to hang the buds. This one might have been a bit early as there were tons of white hairs still. But on the other hand, under the scope she was showing a bit of amber trichomes too. So hard to say. Which is more important...the percentage of amber? or the ratio of white to brown hairs?

Anyways, here's a picture of the plant at harvest:

The Gelato is in and out of jars at this point. I'm trying to slow down the drying process as they tend to get super dry on the outside in my basement. But, so far...so good. The Gelato smells wonderful....and strong.

Damnesia is still hanging. It has very little odor, but is extremely sticky. Took me a long time to get the resin off my fingers.

The other two are still hanging. They'll need a day or two more hanging, then a few days in paper bags before they go into the jars.

Great work and beautiful plants Mota!:love: Sorry I missed the show but it was a real pleasure going through your journal watching how you did things from start to finish.:thumb: Keep up the good work!:Namaste:

I just started seeds for my Winter/Spring grow. Going kinda old school. Here's the lineup:

Humboldt Seeds Org - Blue Dream - Fem (1)
Spliff Seeds - Master Kush - regular (2)
Seedsman - Peyote Critical - Fem (1)
Barney's Farm - Liberty Haze - Fem (1)

Harvest is complete and jarred. Here's the tally:

Plant totals:gramsounces
Jack Herrer198.87.1
Hulkberry156.65.6
Damnesia211.87.6
Gelat.OG192.66.9
Grand total:759.827.1
Additional sugar leaves & popcorn buds for making hash:~5 ounces

A very successful grow, only slightly tainted by the loss of probably an ounce or so from bud rot.

I'll post a final rundown on the grow later, once everything is cured and sampled. Thanks again to everyone who's stopped in or followed along with this grow and given me advice or just postitive vibes. Great community here at 420mag.

Congrats on those numbers....thats a solid 6.5 zips per plant on average. :slide: :thumb:

Thanks Van Stank! I'm pretty happy with the results. The samples are being well received. Hopefully the cure will go without a hitch.

Back
Top Bottom