New Member - New Grower - New Everything

MegeBudz

I rarely smoke myself, but my wife smokes for her chronic back pain from car and motorcycle accidents and to help stabilize her mood (there is a joke in there but I will leave that one alone lol). Unfortunately we live in a state where we have yet to legalize for medicinal use and I am tired of getting inconsistency from the people she buys from. So I thought.. why not grow it ourselves and at least have a better shot of knowing what we have, what's been done to it, etc.

We have a 2500 square foot steel workshop out on the back of our property out in the country. Inside of that steel workshop is a set of box offices that the prior owner of the house had put in since he ran a business out of the shop. I use most of the shop for my "guy stuff" (cars and motorcycles) but the box office we use for storage and our art studio. The box office is divided into four rooms, one of which is a non functioning bathroom. I decided to use this room as our grow room since it had a door, had a drain, and was small enough to keep somewhat controlled. I've cleared this room out and have begun setting up. For now we have decided to go fluorescent because my main concern is heat. We live in the south and the shop is not air conditioned; it is however. underneath grandfather oak trees which keep it shaded all day long. So it stays relatively cool out there but I have a feeling that HPS and MH will put the temp over the top in there so I want to start off with cooler lighting and then work my way from there.

Our current grow (which as of today is 20 days in)... lights set up now are 4 40w T12s and 4 100W CFLs in clamp on shop lights (zip tied to center) all of which are 6500k for growing. Underneath is the Versagrow ebb and flow system.. started the seeds off in rock wool followed by a half and half mixture of coconut fiber and clay pellets as a growing medium.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

- M

Re: New Member.. New Grower... New EVERYTHING

:ciao: MegeBudz, and :welcome: to the great community here at :420:

Congratulations on your new venture into growing this wonderful plant! It sounds like you have a great set up and area to make the best of it too!

One great way to get feedback and comments is to start a grow journal. Members will follow along with you and help when needed. Great way to make friends here too!

Here's how to start a journal and post photos to your posts. Pictures are great for members to truly understand what you have going on:

How to Make a Grow Journal

Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Note: the most common problem on uploading photos is the user not completing all of the steps involved. Be absolutely sure to get that final "process" pics page completed.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Here's a great thread for posting general grow questions too:

Frequently Asked Questions

Good Luck and most of all have fun! :thumb:

I rarely smoke myself, but my wife smokes for her chronic back pain from car and motorcycle accidents and to help stabilize her mood (there is a joke in there but I will leave that one alone lol). Unfortunately we live in a state where we have yet to legalize for medicinal use and I am tired of getting inconsistency from the people she buys from. So I thought.. why not grow it ourselves and at least have a better shot of knowing what we have, what's been done to it, etc.

We have a 2500 square foot steel workshop out on the back of our property out in the country. Inside of that steel workshop is a set of box offices that the prior owner of the house had put in since he ran a business out of the shop. I use most of the shop for my "guy stuff" (cars and motorcycles) but the box office we use for storage and our art studio. The box office is divided into four rooms, one of which is a non functioning bathroom. I decided to use this room as our grow room since it had a door, had a drain, and was small enough to keep somewhat controlled. I've cleared this room out and have begun setting up. For now we have decided to go fluorescent because my main concern is heat. We live in the south and the shop is not air conditioned; it is however. underneath grandfather oak trees which keep it shaded all day long. So it stays relatively cool out there but I have a feeling that HPS and MH will put the temp over the top in there so I want to start off with cooler lighting and then work my way from there.

Our current grow (which as of today is 20 days in)... lights set up now are 4 40w T12s and 4 100W CFLs in clamp on shop lights (zip tied to center) all of which are 6500k for growing. Underneath is the Versagrow ebb and flow system.. started the seeds off in rock wool followed by a half and half mixture of coconut fiber and clay pellets as a growing medium.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

- M

:welcome: to :420: my friend. I am sorry to hear about your wife's medical problems. Growing it yourself will definitely give you control over the type and quality of your cannabis. THE GROW ROOM will give you a lot of good information on getting off to a good start. LED lighting is also an excellent low heat way to light your plants. The benefits are low heat, use less power than HPS or MH, fuller lighting spectrum, etc. We have several LED vendors on this site that have threads showing off their lights in peoples grow. LED lighting has finally come into it's own at last. Do you have a window or vent fan in the room for air circulation? Your plants need fresh air or a co2 setup to really thrive. It sounds like you are off to a great start. If you have any questions just ask. :peace: :Namaste:

Nice intro. Sounds like you are going to have some fun growing. Happy wife tends to make a happy home .

Do you have a window or vent fan in the room for air circulation? Your plants need fresh air or a co2 setup to really thrive.

Yep.. there is an exhaust mounted in the ceiling that dumps out into the shop plus there is a passive intake at the opposite end of the room. Plus, given the fact that I am growing inside of a room inside of an office inside of a steel workshop, I didn't take a lot of time to try and make it air (and light) tight so there is plenty of air circulation in there with the exhaust, a fan mounted above the door and a oscillating floor fan below it.

Here are a couple pics of the room that I took just today...

140330-IMG_20140330_204926_446_Medium_.jpg

140330-IMG_20140330_204905_707_Medium_.jpg

:welcome: To :420:

Looks like you have a great setup and going well.

Sorry to hear about your wife's problems.

For off-topic fun, conversation, and entertainment, join us on the

virtual couch by clicking on the link in my signature

Good luck with your grow :ciao:

There are very few original jokes anymore

and most of them are in Congress

Going to try and put a synopsis tonight of the grow so far and start a journal... here is a preview of the lone Pineapple we "rescued" from a bag while on vacation. This one is 23 days from the night I started soaking them.

20140331_223525_Medium_.jpg

-M

Back
Top Bottom