New Room, New Lights, New Strain, Organic, Super Soil, DIY COB Setup

Hi Freezy

Subbed up for this one. Your building skills are fine, as well as electrical skills! Great looking grow room. Should be sufficient for alot of buds!! Can't wait to see how your cree cobs perform!

I'm remodeling (very slowly) a room in our cellar for a grow room while growing. lol. Not ideal, but it's doing. Grow is going great. Question - Will you also make a veg room or are you a start to finish budmaster? I'm building a flower and a grow room by merely partitioning the center and changing a little electrical around. BTW, I have a 4cob cree led mounted at 16" on center in a straight line. White widows growing in a modified scrog config, 6 weeks into veg. I really like that the heatsinks aren't even warm running the lights at 25% now.

Looking forward for the results! Later

Thanks maineiac. I will be probably doing my first grow at this location all the way through in this room because I don't currently have anything vegging. After that I will be using a 4 x 8 grow tent next to this room for veg. I am going to take a cutting from all of the plants before switching to flower. From that point on all the vegging will be in my tent and the room above will b my flower room.

You say your running at 25%? How are you liking the cobs? What amperage is your driver? My drivers are 1400ma so at full bore the lights are really only going to be getting around 1/3 of their potential power. 1400ma, from my understanding, is right around the sweet spot with the cxb's for light and efficiency.

I have a current grow going right now that will be the last one from my old grow room and its actually white widow. I forgot to mark the calendar when I switched to flower but they are somewhere around 39 days into flower. Last grow under the 1000W hps.

This is the last time Ill be growing this strain. Kind of sad to see her go but as good as the quality was there was just not a huge yield out of this pheno. I cloned and flowered it out 3 times. Sorry the pics a little blurry.. I took it 3 or 4 days ago.
20161020_192347.jpg

Hi Freezy

Only my second grow. First one was outside last spring/summer. Total noob, lol. Doing crazy research though. Lots to learn.

I don't have any devices to measure amps, watts, lumens, photon saturation, ppm, etc, so everything is just a guess. Turned the potentiometer to approx 1/4th of the knob travel (turn). It is much brighter than the T5's I started with. Using Earth Juice nutes weekly. Driver is the Meanwell 1400ma., 185 volts total, to drive all 4 cobs to 64 watts each. (1.4a x 185v = 259watts) So wide open, they're right at the top of the sweet spot. I believe that's at 60% efficiency. I like them because the light is really bright, don't need extra wires for cooling fan, design flexibility, and a small, lightweight easy to hang unit. Just need them to perform, lol.

Your WW's look great. Some would say "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog" or if the smoke is great, I would keep a mother if it only produced one cola. But that's just me. I've never even smoked White Widow. :(

May your buds be sweet and huge! Later

I am in the process of building my first COB light...Im using Vero's 'cuz they are cheaper. What dimmers are you using and where did you get them...Im still VERY unclear on the dimming concept. I have dimmable drivers and Im running 2 sets for veg and flower. Would like to have control over the mix.

Your space is looking fantastic. Im still trying to sell the the son on blocking off a good third of the appartment for 'food' growing. In the meantime Im looking at a 5x5 with 7 cobs

:peacetwo:

From what I understand, if you have a dimmable driver, the current through the driver is highest when you have the highest level of resistance in the dimmer potentiometer, which is why, if you have nothing attached to the dimmer leads (infinite resistance) you get maximum current.

You want a linear potentiometer with a very high maximum resistance, like a 100kOhm pot.

maineiac that is basically the same driver I am using mine just isn't a meanwell. The amperage of the driver you have is 1400ma or 1.4 amps. which would be your max available current. I am gonna use 100k potentiometers to dim with 10k resistors. I believe its good to run the 10k resistors with them because it won't short all the way out when you dim it to "off". You can get them on eBay very cheap. I got 20 of them with resistors for less than $20. 415 I believe you are correct on how the potentiometer dimming works.

Might I suggest checking out growmau5 on youtube. I learned everything I know about cobs pretty much from him. He has a 7 video series in which he describes everything you need to know about led lighting. It was very helpful to me. He is a great grower too.

haha and btw the smoke on the white widow is a total couch lock. Great at the end of the day or before bed.

All of my seeds germinated and are going well. I need to get my RO filter from my other grow because the water at this new location is pretty hard. Exciting news though I just got the the circuit all wired in for my lights! Ordered the rest of the aluminum I need for the last light today and also ordered a PVC vinyl floor that snaps together. It offers awesome heat insulation from the cold basement floor and will tie the whole room in together. Heres a few pics of it all. The White widows are at week 6 in this pic from last Thursday. Ill grab a pic tomorrow for week 7 .
Pumped the first light works! Ill plug the second one in tomorrow and see how it goes. This thing is wicked bright, this picture does not do the brightness justice at all.
20161030_204842.jpg
20161102_201741.jpg
20161027_170639.jpg
20161027_165351.jpg

Hey guys. its been a while so ill post pics in order of when I took them. The plants are all healthy and the new grow is going well. You can see in the pics one of them is mutated but Its still growing.The AC if finally all wired up just need to tie in the panel. I'm like 98% there lol. I put a white vinyl floor in and got the co2 hooked up. Ill let the pics do the rest. My other grow is at day 59 in flower. I think I'm going to let them go for another week or maybe two. Thinking I'm going to run them around 10 weeks because I feel like I always harvest them a little too early. The new ones in solo cups are going to get transplanted probably tomorrow or the next day. They just got their first light feeding and just tea besides that. Im really happy with how the room is coming out. I think everything soup to nuts will be done by next week give or take a few days. Im pumped and can't wait to see how it goes.. My expectations are high!

20161106_215441.jpg
20161111_211623.jpg
20161111_211927.jpg
20161112_201815.jpg
20161113_203205.jpg
20161113_203126.jpg
20161113_203133.jpg
20161113_203137.jpg
20161112_122947.jpg

20161112_122921.jpg

Whats up freak, thanks! Yeah he is the reason I figured I would try the cob led's out he seems like he's a wicked smart dude he was convincing enough that I spent 3 grand on lights :thumb: hahaha so I really hope my plants like them

You really can't argue with almost 2g/watt haha :). I'll be interested to see how they do! I took the easy route and bought off the shelf lol

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I know that's what got me interested. He pulls like 1.5-1.7 gpw all the time! I have been getting good quality but can't get to 1 gram per watt with the hps. Growing everything organic might be a big part in that. I'm probably hovering around .5 gpw with hps... I'll be happy just hitting 1 gpw with the cobs because with the 30 cobs I'll be pulling 1500w from the wall. 1500 grams would be the best harvest I've ever had for sure by like 3 times lol.

Alright heres an update. I have still been in the transition between finishing up my other grow and getting this new one all set. I have the room finished but my ac needs to be vacuumed before I use it. Long story short I thought I had access to a vacuum and ended up having to buy one. The room has been around 81-82 with the room sealed up and everything running. I have cringed because I have had to use tap water and no ph tools at this location. I use teas and organic soil so Im all about the microbial life and I know that the tap water around here is no good for them. I got my RO filter here finally and all set up. You can see in the pictures the plants are doing well. The CO2 is running because of the slightly higher temps. There are two plants that are runts and just growing all deformed but I figured Id run them anyway. I am only going to let these go in veg for like another week or maybe 2 so they don't get too big... Im really just concerned with getting like 3 or 4 good mother plants. Im really hoping that I can get a purple querkle plant that would be awesome and I am hoping the incredible bulk does what its name suggests. heres a few pics. My White widow grow finally started showing a few ambers here and there so I decided to call it and go lights off as of yesterday. I will give them around 48-72 hours of darkness before I chop them this weekend. The smoke from these is nice but after running it 3 times and also having a friend run the same clones we cannot seem to pull more than 4 oz/ plant - I don't think I was able to even hit that this time around. Thats why I'm excited to grow some new strains.
20161124_115709.jpg
20161124_115802.jpg
20161124_115720.jpg

Lol these are the runts. The one on the left is incredible bulk and the one on the right is Jack
20161124_115728.jpg
20161123_143648.jpg

They all seem to be stacking very nice and for having 8 different strains they are all growing very close in height and size... I kind of tried to pick strains that would work well with each other. I guess time will tell. I think that I will start taking clones in a week or two, make sure I have a bunch of them, and flip to flower. I will more than likely do less plants next time around and veg them longer I just wanted to grow this many to find a good mother. Where I have 3 lights I figure I can do 12 plants and fill the room pretty well. I can do 3 strains and 4 of each... This will allow me to have a light for each 4 plants which will allow me to have the height right for the lights.

Thanks freak. I'm curious to see what the scrog weighs out at. I have been trying to pull a lb off 1 1000w light and last time around I got 15 ounces lol I just want to hit 1 lb! it should not be that hard I really just think this pheno is not a huge yielder. I don't want to jinx myself but I think Ill get it this time around.

Thanks freak. I'm curious to see what the scrog weighs out at. I have been trying to pull a lb off 1 1000w light and last time around I got 15 ounces lol I just want to hit 1 lb! it should not be that hard I really just think this pheno is not a huge yielder. I don't want to jinx myself but I think Ill get it this time around.

That's amazing! Scrog is in my near future lol. Keep us posted on that!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

scrog is where its at... I have done like 5 scrog's now and they are great. The only thing I recommend is that if you are using synthetic nutes and need to be able to flush, make sure they are either raised up a bit or somehow easily accessible to let the water waste out during flush. I have had to suck the runoff out individually from each plant and its doable but it sucks lol

Back
Top Bottom