New Room, New Lights, New Strain, Organic, Super Soil, DIY COB Setup

I you can see I had to top that huge one in the back. Its one of the blue cheese phenos... Lanky as hell. Wont use that as a mother lol. it also was one of the worst affected by whatever issue is going on. feel free to add any input on the problem with the plants. I checked my soil ph and its mint right at 6.5. I wasn't sure if maybe the supersoil where its old had lost some potency? I only added half strength nutes and it was general organics. I have fed that stuff at double stregnth in the past to hungry plants and not burnt them. I've just been making sure to ph of my water is at 6.5 and I bump the ppm up to 250 with cal mag. Some of the bottom leaves that came off today seemed to indicate it could use some more nitrogen but I'm just skeptic that it has enough food already. Some strains are better than others and some aren't affected but most of them show the same thing in different intensities Indicating its the same problem in all the plants. If I wasn't so limited on size I would run them a little more in veg but I am getting close and need to flip them. I keep thinking its a cal or mag deficiency.

Alright so life has been crazy and I've been absent from here for a while. Long story short- the issues I was having with the plants are clearing up. Over the last week and a half to 2 weeks I gave them 2 waterings of just RO with calmag and some silica. They got a bit better and I thought they were hungry so I fed them. They quickly went back to not so great overnight and I knew I had to flush them. I flushed them last Thursday night.

Just a side note - I tested the water for the first time in this new location before it was put through the RO filter... Its only 80ppm! Holy crap I had no idea but the chlorine is def strong because I can smell it. The pH is right around 7.4. From my understanding chlorine and chloramine will not register on a ppm meter, I bought a new filter that will only take out chemicals like chlorine and chloramine and leave everything else and I plan on using that.

Anyway- I went away for the weekend after the flush and I came back and was amazed at the growth over the weekend. The flush worked wonders and the girls are well on their way. As much as I would like to give them a few more days in veg they are getting too big.

Here is a few pics of the girls form tonight. Just watered them tonight and I plan on brewing a tea up for them probably tomorrow or the next day. I figure Ill brew up like 4 strong gallons and dilute it into 10 gallons or so and give the girls a good drench.

The first 3 pics here are when they were sick last Thursday and then the next two from yesterday, and the panoramic is from tonight. What a difference! I'm excited to start seeing some nuggets form!

FLIPPED TO 12/12 Tonight. Need to get my ass in gear and build the last light.. I have been wicked busy and have some unfortunate family shit going on so ill update when I can.
12/30
Snapchat-524410585.jpg

12/30
Snapchat-374815196.jpg

12/30
Snapchat-1078031597.jpg

Jan 2nd
20170102_201535.jpg

Jan 2nd
20170102_201541.jpg

This is today:
20170103_202415.jpg

So my dehumidifier is not big enough to keep up with this sealed room. I need to get a new one and soon - before I get the buds filling in because my humidity is too high. It wasn't struggling until recently and worked fine when the plants were smaller. I have designed the plumbing for two drain to waste systems with a sump pump to get rid of the runoff. More on that later but excited about it. I'm going to build a drip system that I can at least manually turn on for the time being so I can water all my plants without doing it by hand. more on this later but any recommendations on dehumidifiers or drip setups I'm all ears. I was planning on a 3/4 loop with 1/4" barbs and dip lines with dripper 3-4 dripper stakes in each pot. I will explain later the rest of the system I am going to build. Theres not enough time in the day...

Day 7 of flower.. the plants are still stretching and I expect they will keep going for a week or two. The dehumidifier is on 24/7 and humidity is still too high. hovers around 60%. I'm thinking about getting a Quest 110 but if I can get through this grow by putting a second dehumidifier in there I will do that for the time being. I will need to run some more power to the room to add a Quest. Also want to make some other changes to the room. Not a big fan of the insulation for walls... Im thinking of stripping it back to the plywood and using some type of heavy duty paint to seal the whole room. As it is I have no light leaks that I can see but I can make sure its 100% sealed if i do that and make sure Its easier to clean and keep mould free. I had to cut out a section in the corner of the room where water sucked up a little in the liner of the insulation and had a tiny bit of mould. The shiny cover is backed by paper.... Did not know that when I put it in. Im going to throw another bigger dehumidifier in there tomorrow or so and see if that helps. I imagine it will. Plants look awesome and are getting huge. Don't think I could have waited any longer to flower them. I went to the grow store today and started to get the things ordered for my new plans. Heres a few pics of how the girls are and how I had to put the dehumidifier drainage through the wall.
20170109_210204.jpg
20170109_210128.jpg

This is one of the Querkle girls. She's looking great.
20170109_205752.jpg

What's up fluorescent. Thank you sir it's been a long time in the making and I have worked very hard on it. Every time I think it's 100% something comes up lol its been a work in progress. If you like it now wait till I get two tables and a full drip system with plumbing for drip to waste. I think in the next 3 months or so I'll have it dialed in. My goal is to get everything as close to fully automated as I can. We'll see... I'm really dieing to see the harvest results so I can pick which mom's to keep.

So I grabbed my dehumidifier from my last grow today. Its a 50 pint/ day so its bigger than the one I have in there now. Going to run them both together... I am running out of space in my room pretty fast! Went to the grow store today to fill the co2 and inquired about a Quest 110 dehumidifier. Im going to have to make some changes to the room to get it to where I'm comfortable hanging it from the ceiling but then again I'm going to do a bunch of work to the room anyway. If I can get away with the two dehumidifiers I have in there now that would be great because I really don't want to dish out $1500 bucks for the Quest.

I have been going for efficiency in this grow and the dehumidifiers are not helping it out but Im still not complaining. I am curious to see my next electric bill since 12/12. To run it at 24 hrs was only costing me a little over $100/month!! I gotta say So far I love the lights and I'm building the last one tomorrow. I was going to do it today after work but forgot my rivet gun. Should have it done by tomorrow night. I will post pics when I do!

The girls are drinking more water than ever and I'm getting sick of waiting for my RO filter to fill my res. I found a new filter that I'm going to use that doesn't take out trace elements and only chlorine, chloramine, and VOC's. I think Im going to like it way more than my RO and I won't have to add so much CaMg.

Is anyone familiar with the santa-fe 70 dehumidifier???? looks like it might be a cheaper alternative to the quest... from my understanding the same company makes it.

Well I got home yesterday to find that my older dehumidifier shit the bed. This forced my to buy a new dehumidifier right away. I ended up ordering the Ideal Air 100 pint a day Commercial Dehumidifier... I get a little discount at my local grow store and ended up getting it for $650. Did I want to drop that right now no but I didn't have a choice. The Quest I could have got for $1350 and although its more efficient I could not justify the cost difference right now. I could buy two ideal airs for the cost of 1.. I am going to pick it up on Wednesday so the girls will be a bit humid till then. I suppose its better this happens now at the end of the first week of flower vs a few weeks into flower. I'm getting excited about both this harvest and getting the tables built in the room.

I know I went on about it a bit before but I am going to do 3 3'x6' trays. One in my 4x8 veg tent and two in the 8'x8' flower room. I am going to build tables to hold the trays about 13" off the ground. This will allow me to fit the (3) 40 gallon reservoirs (one under each tray). The trays will be made out of 1 1/2" PVC, I already have all the elbows ordered that I need to build them just need to run to home depot to get some 10' sections. I am going to have just enough room to fit the two tables with a small walk way. I will be building in scrogs to the tables with two levels. They will be removable so I can do one level at a time. I am going to feed everything with drip lines connected to a pump on a timer so I can automate everything a bit. I will do (1) 100 gallon res outside of my room and tent that will be able to supply the reservoirs through plumbed in PVC. Ill put a manifold on it so I can control which res I fill up. On the end of the trays I will plumb in a drainage pipe that will run the waste from both tables, and the dehumidifier out into a bucket outside of the room with a sump pump in it with a float valve so it will shoot out the waste water when It fills up. I think Ill put a valve before the sump bucket in the room so if I want to I can connect a line of hose and temporarily run the system to recirculate. This will be really useful for cleaning the lines out if I want to run the system with some hydrogen peroxide in-between runs to keep keep everything clean.

I didn't get my dam light built because I had 100 other things going on but I was thinking about it and think instead of building another light thats just like the ones I have now, Ill build two separate lights so I can split them up to one on each side. Ill build two separate rows of 5 lights and fix them with the existing ones. The result will basically be 2 total lights each with 3 rows of 5 COB's.

As excited as I am to see how this run does under the COB's I am really excited about the next run because I'm a huge fan of scrogging. This is the first time Ive ever done a run and not topped plants either. Should be interesting to see what happens but I really think I can maximize my yields better with a scrog. I'm thinking about doing a side by side with supersoil and coco? Idk we'll see..

Today is day 14 of flower.

Okay so I was gone for the past 5 days and holy shit did these girls shoot up while I was gone.. Gonna need a bigger room lolol. So if things went well with my order I should be able to get my dehumidifier tomorrow (FINALLY). Im away on vacation this week from work and I had to come back tonight so I can fix my fiancés car, finish my lights, and get this dehumidifier into my room tomorrow and then I'm getting back in my car and going away till Sunday. It will be good to know I can manage my humidity.

The girls look a little stretchy to me but I'm also used to topping a bunch so it might just be the main colas deceiving me.

I also got in all the PVC parts I need to make my tables. Going to be building those at some point but Im not going to use them till next run so Ill probably just wait until I chop these girls. This run is going great so far I'm sure when I scrog everything out it will do even better. So far the Afghan Cow is looking the best. I can tell this thing is going to produce some nice nugs. Its still a little early to tell but I'm thinking the afghan cow is going to be one of the keepers as a mom. Time will tell.

Heres some pics from tonight. The first two are the afghan cow.
20170117_191802.jpg
20170117_200451.jpg
Snapchat-1617607645.jpg
Snapchat-1572917855.jpg
20170117_191918.jpg

Haha that's always encouraging to hear! Thanks for stopping by aotearoa. At least it's at the exciting part now. Lol I never meant to get them this big.. barley have any room in there. Should be interesting!

UPDATE: Finally got the 100 pint dehumidifier in the room last thursday. Thing works mint but I have to plumb up a sump pump for the waste water because it only holds 10 pints... I can't empty the thing 5 times a day lol. Will post some pics when I can. Just got back from vacation and work and life is very hectic right now. Just trying to focus on one thing at a time! After all that's all we can do right :)

Subbed. Really interested in diy cobs. I've already priced everything out for my tent just saving up and waiting for my current lights die. The warranty is almost up. Looking forward to seeing your final weight. I'm sorry if I missed it but how many watts are you using and what do kind of weight do you expect at Harvest?
He is using 1500w buddy I am also interested in COBs but not on this scale. Love the whole room setup

Hey pat and bedroom farmer whats up guys thanks for checkin out the journal. I should have 1500 watts in there but despite saying 100 times that I'm going to finish my third light I have not done so yet. So yes pat is right I have a total of 1500w but only 1000w are in there right now. But if you are interested in the cobs I am really impressed so far and I would recommend them. I am also really interested to see how much weight will come of it as far as gpw goes.

Today is day 20 of flower and the buds are starting to come in. I did a final clean up on the girls today and removed the remaining larf. I have a bunch of pics Ill post tomorrow I gotta run right now. I did get a condensate pump set up today for my dehumidifier which I'm pumped about because now I can not worry about the thing filling up multiple times daily..

Ill post pics tomorrow!

Hey Jgrow. Yeah I hear ya on the hps.. they do well but cost so much to run. So far I think I'm not going to regret switching. Heres the pics I took yesterday. So far it looks like on of the strawberry cake girls and the afghan cow are fattening up the most. I don't have time to feed them each individually so some are near over fed while others are a bit underfed. Kind of trying to balance a happy medium.. Anyway heres the pics.
20170123_215852.jpg
20170123_220714.jpg
20170123_220720.jpg
20170123_220727.jpg
20170123_215916.jpg
20170123_215928.jpg
20170123_215839.jpg
20170123_215845.jpg
20170123_205559.jpg

What I wouldn't do for a setup like this, LoL I was looking at the Timberlight Citizen cobs but don't have an extra $300 laying about :'( idea would have been to add those to my current 700w Mars panel, one on each corner. But if I do go Cob might as well do an Cob light only grow with about 6-8 of those in my tent. Atm I am content with my small panel, doesn't draw too much power blessings to you brother

What I wouldn't do for a setup like this, LoL I was looking at the Timberlight Citizen cobs but don't have an extra $300 laying about :'( idea would have been to add those to my current 700w Mars panel, one on each corner. But if I do go Cob might as well do an Cob light only grow with about 6-8 of those in my tent. Atm I am content with my small panel, doesn't draw too much power blessings to you brother

Do you have the Mars ll 700?

haha pat I hear you man I have wanted a room like this for sooo long and finally have a house so I could build it. Check out growmau5 on youtube, he shows how to convert mars panels to cob lighting. I'm not sure if it will work with your panel or not. Take a look at cutter electronics thats where I went. I asked like 3 times about returning something and got no response though so the customer service isn't the best but the prices are really good. You might be able to get away with using the drivers for your mars and save some $$. I would check out growmau5 on youtube and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom