Northern Lights Auto: Budget LED & First Grow

I'm rocking 4 of the old model Mars 300's. They'll get the job done. In my mind, they're the best value light out there. I bought 2 of mine on Amazon and the next 2 on eBay.

Ya even in the 12 hours I have had them on, the plants have reacted so well. Their whole posture has changed and I have had to adjust my restraints as everything is reaching for the light.

Day 21: Screw DIY.... new lights!

Growing autos and having such a small window to develop them, frankly was killing me! I couldn't stand the thought of being limited by my lights.

I found 2 300w Mars Hydro LED on Craigslist for $150...

I'm stoked!

IMG_0044128.JPG

On the bright side my DIY rig is now my new garage light....

You're going to like that setup a lot more. Congrats on that score.

Day 23: Now were in the game!

Feeding:

Advanced Nutrients into 2L of water (which is quickly becoming too little)
Micro/Grow/Bloom: 8ml
B-52: 4ml
Voodoo Juice: Stopped until first week of full flower
CalMag: 2.5ml

LST:
2 days ago I based on the recommendations of a few members (far side & ec) I started to lst to open up the plant a bit. I'm glad I listened because the extra light has made a massive difference on the preflower growth. Pinning and tucking leaves to expose the bud sites has made my plant an ugly mess but it's working.

Moss:
Before new light and lst:
IMG_0039147.JPG

After:
IMG_0045118.JPG

Peterson:
Before:
IMG_0040136.JPG

After:
IMG_0046124.JPG

Favre:
Before:
IMG_0042133.JPG

After:
IMG_0047128.JPG

Northern Lights - Auto - Budget LED & First Grow

Nice man.

I found 4 weeks at 18/6 or 24 then 12/12 kept them around 4' tall.

You should be OK for the size of the box. Make sure you got lots of air flow in a smaller space.

If you're using par LED, CFL or T5 less than 4'- kneeping it to 4' should give you a decent little yield and some dense buds. You can also get a great LED unit from Mars or Online.

One thing I've learned less is more. And splurge a little on light!

These are weeds. Patience too.

I've felt the heartache of harvesting too soon and the piss me off moments of killing a plant from too much love and attention.

Have fun!

Re: Northern Lights - Auto - Budget LED & First Grow

Nice man.

I found 4 weeks at 18/6 or 24 then 12/12 kept them around 4’ tall.

You should be OK for the size of the box. Make sure you got lots of air flow in a smaller space.

If you’re using par LED, CFL or T5 less than 4’- kneeping it to 4’ should give you a decent little yield and some dense buds. You can also get a great LED unit from Mars or Online.

One thing I’ve learned less is more. And splurge a little on light!

These are weeds. Patience too.

I’ve felt the heartache of harvesting too soon and the piss me off moments of killing a plant from too much love and attention.

Have fun!

Wise words West!

I need to find a cheap 4" inline fan. The exhaust fan I bought from amazon isn't enough.

Northern Lights - Auto - Budget LED & First Grow

Wise words West!

I need to find a cheap 4" inline fan. The exhaust fan I bought from amazon isn't enough.

Any of the garden supply stores around can help you. Get a speed controller (cost me 40.00 and is a great little investment. While you want good air flow- you don't want to suck the walls in.

You're on the right track with spreading the leaves. I screwed some hooks around the outside to help with this.

Because CFL and LED par lamps aren't able to get the light penetration of HID or LED grow fixture. You need to help them out.

420-magazine-mobile501791217.jpg

They respond quickly. Be careful with nutes in soil. They don’t show as quickly as hydro.

That’s where the less is more comes in. You can always add. Trying to flush excess through could be bad.

I'm using all the Advanced Nutrients line, and their app "bud labs". To be sure I called their growers support, and base on the promix I was advised it's treated a bit more like hydro as far as absorbing nutrients. Once a week a have been running straight water through them to soak the medium, so I'm hoping that helps with any build up.

So typically I feed 2 times a week with limited amounts of fluid, and give them one good soak with water and let them be until bucket dries pretty well.

Great idea on both the speed controller and hooks.

Thanks man.

Great score on the Mars LED.

I continued with the hooks when I got my LED light.

I grabbed a Meizhi 205W LED (400W HID Aprox) off EBay for 158.00 and only having my plants under it for 4 weeks. I'm geeked to get the entire grow under it.

And opening up the leaves.

Good to know about the nutes. I went with HOG. About to give my little ladies their first feeding.

Cheers!

Great score on the Mars LED.

I continued with the hooks when I got my LED light.

I grabbed a Meizhi 205W LED (400W HID Aprox) off EBay for 158.00 and only having my plants under it for 4 weeks. I’m geeked to get the entire grow under it.

And opening up the leaves.

Good to know about the nutes. I went with HOG. About to give my little ladies their first feeding.

Cheers!

Sweet! Looking forward the growth...

Day 25: More LST

We're definitely in preflower now! You can see where All the main tops will be, now I just need to make sure everyone gets enough light. I have begun laying the footprint for bowl training, and all that light sure makes a difference.

Moss: my beast!
IMG_0048123.JPG

Peterson: struggling its way to flower
IMG_0049119.JPG

Favre: Topped at 3rd node, at its lopsided
IMG_0050125.JPG

Day 25: More LST

We're definitely in preflower now! You can see where All the main tops will be, now I just need to make sure everyone gets enough light. I have begun laying the footprint for bowl training, and all that light sure makes a difference.

Moss: my beast!
IMG_0048123.JPG

Peterson: struggling its way to flower
IMG_0049119.JPG

Favre: Topped at 3rd node, at its lopsided
IMG_0050125.JPG
Looking good. Moss is definitely a beast.

Better late than never!... only missed me struggling, until I got new lights lol.

Yup and now you are on a roll!! plants look to really be digging the added light. Nice that you are making improvements on the fly and learning along the way. It's kinda painful for us newbies but fun at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom