Nostalgic Ride On That Purple Sage - Panama Red

Sativa1970

Strain; Growers choice, Panama red
Media; DWC 6 inch net pot
Plant munchies; Dyna-Gro Foliage, Grow, and flower mixes.
light; Vipar spectra P1000s, miscellaneous LEDs, clip lights, Christmas lights, whatever.

Back in the early 80's my uncle called asking me to stop by. Handed me a pipe and started playing Panama red and then wildwood weed. By the end of the songs it had kicked in and he handed me a baggy of seeds. Mowi, Thai and Panama were the three strains I always grew back in the woods every year. My ex-wife dumped all the strains together in one jar. I've found Mowi, Thai, Christmas tree, Purple Afghan, Skunk, and a few I am not 100% sure what they were but have yet to pull a Panama seed out. Done with the pot luck on this one and ordered some seeds hopping they are true genetics.

Mowi is an energetic high. Thai is a introspective high. Panama is a conversation high. We would record or take notes of our conversations because they were next level brilliance when we were high but 90% absolute gibberish the next day. I can quote a line of the gibberish and friends still remember the entire conversation we had 30 years latter.

I've only ever post journals on plants I am experimenting with so this time it is just for fun. Just going to sit back and watch her grow because I have never done indoor hydro with this strain. No heavy handed manipulation just let her show what she is going to naturally do. I'll house train her on the next run.
I soaked the seeds last week thinking I would have time to start this but I was wrong. I did take pictures to get you up to date.

Soaked for 12ish hours in PH water and Kelp extract on Dec 4th. first and 2nd pics
put her in a cube soaked in the PH kelp water on Dec 7th. pics 3 and 4
5 gallon DWC bucket Dec 10th pic 5
settled in Dec 12th pic 6
How she looked last night before bed at one week old Dec 15th pic 7
No significant roots poking out of the net yet.

1000000924.jpg

1000000922.jpg

1000000942.jpg

1000000948.jpg

1000000960.jpg

1000000975.jpg

1000000989.jpg

Day 10 from first true leaves. First 5 finger leaves are out so she is no longer just showing me one long middle finger. 6 inches wide, 2 inches tall and already trying to send out laterals. I don't know why the picture is so grainy but there are some yellow spots on her leaves. She caught some over spray when I was misting Jamaican clones.

I grew a lot of these old strains outdoors in the woods. Organic soil and size was never a thing that payed attention to. Like buying a Christmas tree in the lot. They look small until you try to fit them in your house. As long as she stays under 6 and a half foot tall and wide she will fit just fine. I don't remember her being exceptionally large next to the other plants. That's why I am keeping this journal. Need to remember how they grow on there own before you can know how to train them.

1000001001.jpg

Went on another search for grow info on this strain. Results were as useful as my memory. Thats why i am keeping this journal. Every post contradicted itself. Tall plant, 5 foot. High THC, 10%. Hard to grow plant like Jack Here. Jack is fast and easy. That's why I use it for experiments.

I did find an old article confirming there should be purple lines up the stems and red veins in the leaves dooring veg. Loosing hope in this being true genetics. Time will tell if this is just another case of using a good name to sell off crap. Did get a description of the seeds so may help narrow down the next seed to geminate.

5 weeks old and abought to outgrow the veg space. The table she is on is just shy of 3 foot wide. Finally showing the deep red stripes on the stems and red tint to the leaf veins. Couldn't get the camera to pick up the red contrast but it is definitely there to the naked eye. Glimmer of hope this is a true strain.

1000001099.jpg

1000001103.jpg

Harvested and cleaned the flower room so moved her over to the bigger empty room but still in veg. Did some defoliation to get more air flow and plucked off the sucker branches. Still a foot tall and 2 1/2 foot wide. No more red filling in yet. When I topped her I threw the cutting in the cloner. Dropping the humidity to move her to hydro in a few days.
1000001111.jpg
1000001113.jpg
1000001115.jpg
1000001114.jpg

Gonna be a big girl.
I started this journal for my own reference, because there were not many panama journals, and curious how many would still know what "riding the purple sage" meant.
Almost 6 weeks old and barley a foot tall but almost 3 foot wide. Red veins running up the stems but pretty much stop at the leaf. Leaves are at least the correct shape for some type of pure sativa. Still think this may be a fake ID. Won't know for sure until I put flame to it. Vary unique smoke that is easy to spot. If it's good smoke but not panama I will just rename it and rehome the clone to another local grower. Already have the next seed picked out from my heritage stash that I think could be true panama red.

14 inches tall with 14 main colas and I don't know how long or how much she will stretch. So flipped the light to 12/12 and switched the res nutes. Was on a 9-3-6 NPK. Now in 7-9-5 NPK. In full flower I will drift to 3-12-6 NPK. Holding at .5 EC PH6. Two viparspectra p1000 and 2 generic LED fixtures. 350wat actual draw total.

Cut out some more nonproductive under growth. Hope she stretched enough to get some light down in there.

1000001135.jpg

EC dropped from .58 to .49. lower leaves are starting to yellow. PH raised to 5.5 from 6 and water level hasn't changed much. Vary early sex signs showing a few hairs popping out. Added back in one more tsp High N veg mix. If she keeps stretching may have to keep the N higher than usual.

1000001140.jpg

1000001138.jpg

1000001139.jpg

You had me at old school seeds. Looking forward to the sativa flower show soon. Cheers
These old strains sativas take too much time, space and attention for most growers but I think the smoke is more than worth it. Jack Herer is the only nonland race plant I occasionally grow.
Kids have already made a point of informed me how they want there seed bank inheritance to be divided. Not the real-estate or the cars.

These old strains sativas take too much time, space and attention for most growers but I think the smoke is more than worth it. Jack Herer is the only nonland race plant I occasionally grow.
Kids have already made a point of informed me how they want there seed bank inheritance to be divided. Not the real-estate or the cars.
I love ❤️ growing them and I love how big they get if you let them. CL🍀

My cousin just got a new bigger grow setup for 4 plants. He asked me if I had some seeds or clones I was willing to part with. He was interested in the Thai, Mowi, lambs bread and/or Christmas tree. Told him to let me know when he was ready. We started talking bought his new setup. It's a 4x4 base 5 foot tall. I couldn't believe that was considered sized for more than one plant and he couldn't believe one may not fit. People interpret big and small sizes different.

My cousin just got a new bigger grow setup for 4 plants. He asked me if I had some seeds or clones I was willing to part with. He was interested in the Thai, Mowi, lambs bread and/or Christmas tree. Told him to let me know when he was ready. We started talking bought his new setup. It's a 4x4 base 5 foot tall. I couldn't believe that was considered sized for more than one plant and he couldn't believe one may not fit. People interpret big and small sizes different.
4ft is a little low, but that's twice my space.

Back
Top Bottom